Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Opting out of this merry go round, see you fucks for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think Superman can hear whispers from hundreds of miles away, not even silver age god Superman.

Even if he could in the comics why would you assume that would work here?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'd expect a text since I am not a laser vision alien god. Why does Jimmy get a beeper watch but Kara gets nothing? The scene was dumb imo and could have been handled several different ways . Why not just have them whisper or something? Make the voices have that ethereal echo effect because they are so far away and they hear not only the source of the sound but every single echo the waves make, so it doesn't have to sound like Cavill. Just seems like one step removed from Swipe Right for Superman, which now that i've typed it out would be a good reboot of Lois&Clark.

Part of what this show is trying to do with Supergirl, much like what Man of Steel did for Clark/Superman, is its grounding the character in an attempt to make Kara more human. This means implementing more relatable interactions for the character that people are more likely to respond to on an emotional level, e.g., a text from a loved one telling them to keep their chin up. Having Clark message Kara seemed only natural in that kind of narrative, which grounds both characters. What you're suggesting downplays this concept by attempting to bridge human emotion with alien superpowers that obviously no one can relate to.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

I don't think Superman can hear whispers from hundreds of miles away, not even silver age god Superman.

Even if he could in the comics why would you assume that would work here?

Superman ditched a BIG DEAL Justice League fight one time because he stopped hearing his fathers heartbeat. He had a heart attack and died in a field or something. This is from a modern story, not silver/golden age stuff. Superman listens to the heartbeat of every person he loves 24/7.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
How can he tell between what is his father's heartbeat and what is Ben from accounting department's heartbeat?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I meant to edit my post above but oh well, accidentally made a new one:

Drifter posted:

Because Jimmy was a normal human unable to defend himself at all against super powered villains.
Kara is a Kryptonian.
Have them Whisper? Imagine how that would play out on TV for a moment. It wouldn't.

Well in a few weeks when we see how Jessica Jones handles psychic conversations (and probably loving NAILS the execution) I'll be in a better position to refute you, but it's not exactly breaking new ground. I have seen talking scenes happen between characters who are in physically different locations, it isn't that hard to imagine how it could work for TV. It mostly revolves around quick bursts of dialogue, lots of overlaid voices, kara at the top of the building shot super wide as she hones in on a voice, then cutting closer and closer as it is isolated, and not aiming a camera at a drawn out text string. This is 30 seconds of spitballing I am sure you could come up with something different but just as good. Holy hell I hated that scene so much. I'm sure it makes the character more relatable but all it said to me was 'We are lazy storytellers and we only had the budget for that one blurry Superman shot.'

Don't take this as criticism of the entire production, I liked the big fight scene. I read in a review it was sort of bad but I thought it was good for a TV budget. I certainly expected her Girl Power her way through the battle and was surprised then He showed up. The 'battle' seemed to only take place over like 10 square feet though, since they were on a road with fields around them(i think?) it would have been nice to spread out a bit more.

Wandle Cax posted:

How can he tell between what is his father's heartbeat and what is Ben from accounting department's heartbeat?
The Power of Love, Superman's most under-utilized ability. He uses it only when he needs to beat up Batman.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 10, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Well in a few weeks when we see how Jessica Jones handles psychic conversations (and probably loving NAILS the execution) I'll be in a better position to refute you, but it's not exactly breaking new ground. I have seen talking scenes happen between characters who are in physically different locations, it isn't that hard to imagine how it could work for TV. It mostly revolves around quick bursts of dialogue, lots of overlaid voices, kara at the top of the building shot super wide as she hones in on a voice, then cutting closer and closer as it is isolated, and not aiming a camera at a drawn out text string. This is 30 seconds of spitballing I am sure you could come up with something different but just as good. Holy hell I hated that scene so much. I'm sure it makes the character more relatable but all it said to me was 'We are lazy storytellers and we only had the budget for that one blurry Superman shot.'

Don't take this as criticism of the entire production, I liked the big fight scene. I read in a review it was sort of bad but I thought it was good for a TV budget. I certainly expected her Girl Power her way through the battle and was surprised then He showed up. The 'battle' seemed to only take place over like 10 square feet though, since they were on a road with fields around them(i think?) it would have been nice to spread out a bit more.

The Power of Love, Superman's most under-utilized ability. He uses it only when he needs to beat up Batman.

Yes, please tell me how Superman is now telepathic so he and Kara can engage in whispered dialog while she is in a building, within a giant city, hundreds of miles away from him in his own building, within a bustling Metropolis, hundreds of miles away from her. Or are you saying soundwaves coming from their respective mouths are also in some sense, super, if you will?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'll take your word that a recent story had him keeping tabs on his dad's heartbeat 24/7 but that is like Batman level insanity and not good Superman characterization imo.

I mean basically this means he knows whenever his parents are having old people sex.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drifter posted:

Yes, please tell me how Superman is now telepathic so he and Kara can engage in whispered dialog while she is in a building, within a giant city, hundreds of miles away from him in his own building, within a bustling Metropolis, hundreds of miles away from her. Or are you saying soundwaves coming from their respective mouths are also in some sense, super, if you will?

No, the soundwaves are not super, because he can hear normal people as well. Also where did you pull telepathy from? I refuse to believe you are so dense that my mentioning of Jessica Jones makes you assume I was calling Superman psychic. You'd have to be an idiot. I was suggesting that perhaps there could be some overlap in how their respective powers could be portrayed cinematically.

You seem to be getting a bit upset that my TV opinions do not mesh 1:1 with yours.

Cyberius posted:

Maybe the characters in the TV show this thread is about just don't have that level of superhearing and IMing, texting, or calling is ultimately the most effective means of communication because they move at the speed of light and not the speed of sound.
Seems like it. It just always seemed weird to me when super heroes don't just Powers their way through everything. Like Wonder Woman using a jet, or the Fantastic Four all riding around in a Homermobile. You just know Mr. Fantastic could slingshot the team everywhere all the time. Thing would love that.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 10, 2015

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
Maybe the characters in the TV show this thread is about just don't have that level of superhearing and IMing, texting, or calling is ultimately the most effective means of communication because they move at the speed of light and not the speed of sound.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cyberius posted:

" Hello, Kara "

*15 minutes later*

" Oh, hi Clark! What's Up? "

*15 minutes later*

" What? Did you say something? "

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, lets have some weird magic communication between two people rather than having just common, every day thing that everyone knows that takes no explanation to the audience.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, lets have some weird magic communication between two people rather than having just common, every day thing that everyone knows that takes no explanation to the audience.

But you see, they're aliens see. And they have powers see.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
If this show does a "woman of steel, man of Kleenex" storyline it will be the best show ever made.

Plus it will be super CW so it will happen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone told me the next two episodes were better than the pilot. They lied. I really like Benoist but man this show is just not good enough and she's not likable enough for me to watch anymore of it. I hope you guys continue to enjoy it though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Maybe i'm just missing something but i'm kind of torn on the show.

For all the eps so far they've done nothing but bemoan that she's not superman. Like, that's almost all they've done and they keep referencing it never letting the loving thing go. Even the IM at the end reeked of pandering for his approval to be superhero.

It's like the characters in the show are constantly going on about how it's not fair that she's being compared to superman, but at the end of the day that's constantly what all the characters in the show and the show itself, are actually doing. All it's doing is reminding me that it's the not-superman show rather than the super-girl show.

I wish they'd just completely drop the whole Superman thing because it feels like it's holding back the whole superhero aspect of the show. Like, in no other multi-superhero medium do they ever really go, "oh hey, it's [guy who can juggle buildings], man, you're a bit poo poo because my expectations of a superhuman are unmatchable to the actual reality of a loving superhuman saving my life, i wish [other guy who could juggle buildings were here] because he did it better that one time on the news."

edit: Like i wasn't expecting Wonder Woman levels of 'i'm god damned wonder woman, do not question me', but it's somewhat odd to not have a character like Super Girl be, you know, a hell of a lot more assertive than she's being portrayed.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 11, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

X-O posted:

Someone told me the next two episodes were better than the pilot. They lied. I really like Benoist but man this show is just not good enough and she's not likable enough for me to watch anymore of it. I hope you guys continue to enjoy it though.

That's exactly how I felt. I liked the pilot. I really like Supergril's actress - she does the character really well.

The show is lacking though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This doesn't even bloody happen in the comics. No Superperson is going around muttering conversations to each other while they're miles apart, much less entire cities apart. Probably because they don't wanna look hella stupid.

It seems this show is being set, more or less out of necessity, in the Bronze Age Superman level of powers anyway, so none of them are gonna hear murmury things from across the country.

If it truly bothers you that much just think of it the equivalent of old people wondering why young people like to send texts all the time instead of just picking up the phone to call people. "Why don't you whisper at me anymore, Kara?" "Damnit Clark, I just sent you a bunch of texts."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

This doesn't even bloody happen in the comics. No Superperson is going around muttering conversations to each other while they're miles apart, much less entire cities apart. Probably because they don't wanna look hella stupid.

It seems this show is being set, more or less out of necessity, in the Bronze Age Superman level of powers anyway, so none of them are gonna hear murmury things from across the country.

If it truly bothers you that much just think of it the equivalent of old people wondering why young people like to send texts all the time instead of just picking up the phone to call people. "Why don't you whisper at me anymore, Kara?" "Damnit Clark, I just sent you a bunch of texts."

Not to mention it's pretty obvious she's still developing her powers. I mean she loving has to concentrate to be able to hear conversations in the adjacent room. And people (well, 32MB OF ESRAM) expect her to be able to have a whisper-conversation with Superman who is hundreds of miles away? Lmao. That's beyond retarded.

That said, the show does need to move beyond constant mentions of Superman. It's good that they showed him coming to Kara's aid, and then hinted in his text message that "it won't happen again", so hopefully that's an indication that Kara has to hold her own ground moving forward. It really depends on how the next episode handles things.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

X-O posted:

Thanks man

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

That said, the show does need to move beyond constant mentions of Superman. It's good that they showed him coming to Kara's aid, and then hinted in his text message that "it won't happen again", so hopefully that's an indication that Kara has to hold her own ground moving forward. It really depends on how the next episode handles things.

I think this episode was the "getting it out of their system" step, a necessary growing pains experience that went over about as smoothly as could've been expected without the Superman role cast and spoken. I'd be pretty surprised if anything on this level happened again in the rest of this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd rather them use other JL characters in the show, ones that aren't already in the CW shows and not Superman or Batman.

I just want Green Lantern. Though i like the idea that the Director is Martian Manhunter.

Oh anyone else catch the "Don't watch Homeland without me"?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 11, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Likin' the way they handled Henshaw this episode. Just that little growl and glowing eyes has me on board for the rest of the season based on what I know is coming :getin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

There are no psychics in Jessica Jones.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Kal: You did great today
Kara: Oh my gosh thanks! I have so much to ask you, like where did you go afterwards?
Kal has signed off.

Thank you. This is the best thing. Now I'm imagining Clark sending dick pics. (By the way, the Jimmy watch thing is really only there as a reference, because references a superhero show make.)

The IM poo poo is weak. At the end of the day, Kara having to be saved by a MAN is weak with all the proselytizing this show communicates. Which is fine, and I'm all for it, but then they shoot themselves in the face. I don't care if she did it by herself in the end. Damage done.

I thought that spoiler poo poo about YOUR COUSIN actually showing up was fake, but then he sort of did, and I was actually really surprised they went that far, but in retrospect, I guess I'm not.

I want to see these writers succeed without mentioning, referencing, or using Superman at all, that would be the real test. I'm not sure they can really pull it off, but if they do, great.

It's pretty obvious this show already has a :bandwagon: though, so, whatever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

It's pretty obvious this show already has a :bandwagon: though, so, whatever.

I don't think there's a bandwagon. If anything, viewers have been dropping like flies. Just on this last page we have two people, including our glorious moderator, saying they won't be watching the show anymore.

I'm still on the fence, but I think they handled the Superman thing decently. They answered the constant questions of "OK then, where the heck is Superman?" but also came up with an acceptable explanation for why he won't be showing up every time Kara is in trouble.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

At the end of the day, Kara having to be saved by a MAN is weak with all the proselytizing this show communicates.
That's every part of this show though. Jimmy saves her from being fired. Doormat saves her from being fired. Her sister can't save her until the man running the facility comes in to help. Superman showing up and just standing there for a second before flying away again was just the show - Kara gets in trouble, one of the men in her life sweeps in and effortlessly fixes it.

Like, you want to get the Supes poo poo out of the way? Stop treating him like the show's main draw. Have a cold open (before this latest episode) where he gets punched through a wall on Kara's way to work, then she suits up and saves him, his face gets totally down and he blushes and goes "thanks, I couldn't have done that without you" and flies away. Let Kara loving do, y'know, anything without one of her men fixing everything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm watching next week but predicting trains will drop like a rock again because the preview for next episode showed no promise of any action or superheroics, though I'm sure the episode will have some.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Trains may very well get dropped in the next episode but I assume you meant ratings?

I hope the series finds it footing and its audience. Honestly, the first three episodes have not been as bad as the equivalent first three episodes of Flash this season, not nearly as bad as any number of Arrow episodes last season, and I hope I don't even have to mention Gotham. Folks rag on how annoyingly "meta" the show's messages are, how "Supergirl" is constantly complaining about having to prove herself in ways others don't and working twice as hard to be taken seriously, but the fact is...that's kinda exactly what's happening. Already this show has been blasted for things that I know others would get a pass on.

Heck, a quick search tells me Agent Carter suffered the same ratings problems; in fact, Supergirl has done better than Agent Carter did in the same amount of time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Flash season 1 had a fantastic start though.

Still, I'm not worried. The arrow and agents of shield both had slow starts, and they are awesome right now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Trains may very well get dropped in the next episode but I assume you meant ratings?

I hope the series finds it footing and its audience. Honestly, the first three episodes have not been as bad as the equivalent first three episodes of Flash this season, not nearly as bad as any number of Arrow episodes last season, and I hope I don't even have to mention Gotham. Folks rag on how annoyingly "meta" the show's messages are, how "Supergirl" is constantly complaining about having to prove herself in ways others don't and working twice as hard to be taken seriously, but the fact is...that's kinda exactly what's happening. Already this show has been blasted for things that I know others would get a pass on.

Heck, a quick search tells me Agent Carter suffered the same ratings problems; in fact, Supergirl has done better than Agent Carter did in the same amount of time.

I don't know how Gotham still exists, because it's pretty bad, but you're comparing two other shows who have an establish audience due to not being their first season.

The 18-49 demo for Supergirl is less than the same for Agent Carter, even though overall numbers are like four times higher for Supergirl. I'd really like Supergirl to succeed, but it's giving back to me at the moment less than it's asking for. it's mostly the supporting cast, some plotting and narrative development, and a lot of the dialog that feels bland.

it's got its good parts, but maybe since I've gone through it already with other shows I'm currently watching I'm more likely to notice it and get pulled out of the experience.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 11, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Whalley posted:

That's every part of this show though. Jimmy saves her from being fired. Doormat saves her from being fired. Her sister can't save her until the man running the facility comes in to help. Superman showing up and just standing there for a second before flying away again was just the show - Kara gets in trouble, one of the men in her life sweeps in and effortlessly fixes it.

Like, you want to get the Supes poo poo out of the way? Stop treating him like the show's main draw. Have a cold open (before this latest episode) where he gets punched through a wall on Kara's way to work, then she suits up and saves him, his face gets totally down and he blushes and goes "thanks, I couldn't have done that without you" and flies away. Let Kara loving do, y'know, anything without one of her men fixing everything.

Did you miss the part where Kara saves Jimmy from being fired? Or where she saves the Lord Industries CEO from Reactron?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Am I the only one who didn't like the IM conversation because Clark and Kara have phones? I don't IM friends and family, I text them on the phone because I'm not a 1990s Neanderthal.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Gyges posted:

Am I the only one who didn't like the IM conversation because Clark and Kara have phones? I don't IM friends and family, I text them on the phone because I'm not a 1990s Neanderthal.

I FB message a ton of my friends.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gyges posted:

I have Google Hangouts on every device I own: my phone, tablet, PC, MacBook, and Chromebook. I message friends and family from whatever device I'm on and all conversations are persistent across all devices. Lol at peasants who can only access their text conversations on their phone. :smug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

I talk to people via phone, text, and email, depending on what I am doing at a given moment. Plus they were both at work, most likely. I'm not about to call my friends while I'm at work, but a quick text or IM or email is definitely something I'd do.

Clearly kara and kal have a relationship that's comfortable enough to talk however they want. You could infer that they speak more often than the one time we've seen them speak.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought it was weird when Supes asked what she was wearing though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You know, it sounds like the IM conversation was pretty controversial. It would be great if the writers made it a regular thing and went more and more tongue-in-cheek just to piss off the audience. Imagine Kara losing a fight and getting a text from Supes, "I heard you got owned lol, still sure you don't want my help?"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have friends and family I'm not overly close with who I speak with over IM. Some people prefer IM to texting. I'm not a huge fan of phone typing so I use IM if given the choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Chokes McGee posted:

Likin' the way they handled Henshaw this episode. Just that little growl and glowing eyes has me on board for the rest of the season based on what I know is coming :getin:

Spoil this for me? I don't know what the reference is and it's been bugging me. :ohdear:

• Locked thread