Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Also, that was a great post and an actually good and well thought-out theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.
I think it's a pretty interesting theory. I don't know if I fully agree with it, if only because I generally take Sans talking about his disinterest in catching humans and such at face value ("you'd be dead where you stand" doesn't necessarily mean he'd have killed Frisk himself), but there's definitely some interesting thoughts in there.

Sans is a really interesting case, everybody in the game is pretty loving straight-forward, and then you've got Sans popping up around all over the place, judging you for your EXP and LV, dropping time shenanigan bombshells in his boss fight.... It's not really surprising that Sans is the most popular character.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I liked reading that, and I like the viewpoint of Sans as being the guy who hangs out directly outside the exit to the Ruins and murders the gently caress out of every human who comes through that door, right after Toriel hugged them and wished them a safe journey.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 12, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

HotAndColdAF posted:

I think it's a pretty interesting theory. I don't know if I fully agree with it, if only because I generally take Sans talking about his disinterest in catching humans and such at face value ("you'd be dead where you stand" doesn't necessarily mean he'd have killed Frisk himself), but there's definitely some interesting thoughts in there.

Sans is a really interesting case, everybody in the game is pretty loving straight-forward, and then you've got Sans popping up around all over the place, judging you for your EXP and LV, dropping time shenanigan bombshells in his boss fight.... It's not really surprising that Sans is the most popular character.

But he is not the BEST character, thats Papyrus

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flesnolk posted:

I dunno, insulting people just for discussing/speculating about the game seems a bit much. Especially since we're spinning our wheels until Prof updates/decides to lock the thread.

People should ask themselves: WWAS?
and then not do it in full.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Flesnolk posted:

Especially since we're spinning our wheels until Prof updates/decides to lock the thread

Yeah.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Since I've gotten a lot of PMs about it: No, I am not interested in inserting fanmade fake material into the LP and pretending it's real.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Hi, Sans.

It can be kind of unnerving, talking to these characters after murdering them all in the previous timeline.

I save, pick up the Tough Glove, and move on.

Another normal scene.

Snowdrake can be Spared by Heckling repeatedly, granting the white title "Still Looking For Laughs."

If you laugh at their jokes instead, they get the yellow title "Semi-successful Comedian."

Icecap can be Spared by ignoring it twice, granting the white title "Thinking About Its Hat."

However, that's not the end of the fight!

After ignoring it into submission, I Steal.

And succeeded! (It melts in your hands...)

Icecap is no more. There is only...

Ice.

I Compliment it.

I Spare Ice, which will now have the yellow title "Fashion Designer".

There are a whole lot of cameras hidden in Snowdin.

Time to reveal the secret of all dogs.

You threw the stick and the dog ran to get it. You played fetch for a while.

Doggo, like every dog, can be instantly made Spareable by using the Stick. Doing so for this particular dog grants the white title "Believes in the Almighty Stick."

If I properly pet Doggo, that changes to the yellow title "Has His Own Seeing Eye Dog."

After the battle, I ring the bell.

I ring the bell.

I ring the bell.

I ring the bell.

I ring the bell.

I ring the bell.

Oh, fine.

Sans's colored dialogue uses two shades of blue, hinting at how Papyrus's Blue Attack is a different beast from regular blue bullets.

Puzzle time.

The walls of the "maze" do indeed shock you! I was a little surprised.

Now, let's talk about the Snowball game.

There are seven possible outcomes to the game. Which one you get is based on how you play the game.

Finishing with a snowball that's dropped dramatically in size raises an AQUA flag, and gives 1G and the message:

"Ball" is "Small". You waited, still, for this opportunity... then dethroned "Ball" with sharp attack.

Playing very quickly and accurately raises an ORANGE flag, and gives 5G and the message:

You're the kind of people who rushes fists-first through all obstacles.

Staying close to the ball and guiding it closesly raises a BLUE flag, and gives 2G and the message:

Hopping and twirling, your original style pulled you through.

Bumbling around a lot and taking a long time to reach the hole raises a PURPLE flag, and gives 2G and the message:

Even when you felt trapped, you took notes and achieved the end of the "Ball".

Finishing slowly and with a minimum of bumps raises a GREEN flag, and gives 1G and the message:

Your concern and care for "Ball" led to the delicious victory.

Playing accurately but not quickly raises a YELLOW flag, and gives 3G and the message:

Your surefire accuracy put an end to the mayhem of "Ball".

Finishing the game after exterminating every monster in Snowdin raises a RED flag, and gives the message:

Try as you might, you continue to be yourself.

Found another camera.

I continue south.

Lesser Dog can be Spared after a single pet, granting the white title "Searching for Affection".

Petting until it stops attacking changes that to the yellow title "Found A Loving Owner."

Dogi can be Spared with the stick as usual, granting the white title "Still Thinking About That Stick".

Going through the whole ordeal with changing your smell and petting them changes it to the yellow title "Finally No. 1 Nose Nuzzle Champions".

REALLY!?
WOWIE...
YOU RESISTED THE FLAVOR OF MY HOMECOOKED PASTA...
JUST SO YOU COULD SHARE IT WITH ME???
FRET NOT HUMAN! I, MASTER CHEF PAPYRUS...
WILL MAKE YOU ALL THE PASTA YOU COULD EVER WANT!
HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH NYEH!

THE! SOLUTION! IS!
(PLEASE IMAGINE A DRUMROLL IN YOUR HEAD)
...THAT TREE OVER THERE HAS A SWITCH ON IT!
CHECK IT OUTIE!!!

I flip the switch, then go press the puzzle's reset button.

MY ADVICE HELPED! IT REALLY HELPED YOU!!
INCREDIBLE! I'M IMPRESSED!!
YOU MUST CARE ABOUT PUZZLES LIKE I DO!
WELL, I'M SURE YOU'LL LOVE THE NEXT PUZZLE THEN!
IT MIGHT EVEN BE TOO EASY FOR YOU!!
NYEH! HEH HEH! HEHEHEH!!!

Next is this nonsense.

Papyrus repeats his whole explanation, more confusing than before.

OK, YOU KNOW WHAT???
HOW ABOUT... YOU JUST...
DO THIS PUZZLE... ON YOUR OWN...
I'LL LEAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS...
JUST READ THEM.
THEN WHEN YOU UNDERSTAND IT...
YOU CAN THROW THE SWITCH.

That's the other way to solve this puzzle.

Gryftrot is Spared by removing all decorations. Doing this gives the full yellow title "Christmas Display". If you also give it a gift, it drops to the white title "Finding Peace and Quiet".

Remember this door? Remember the Pacifist Credits?

This door doesn't open until you finish them without getting hit by a single kickstarter backer. So, I can't open it.

There's something else here, though..

I ram my face into a wall for a few minutes to get an extremely rare encounter to trigger.

Meet the game's other secret monster.

Act options are Applaud, Boo, and Nothing.

Glyde's attacks do massive damage, and the fact that I'm still wearing the Bandage isn't helping.

I Applaud.

I Applaud again. Glyde seems to crave attention.

Glyde shoots various words at me. Rad! Spicey!

Now that it's addicted, I do Nothing.

Glyde gets annoyed. I continue to do Nothing.

I Boo.

And that's about all there is to it! The full win strategy is to Applaud twice, then do anything other than Applaud until it gets fed up and leaves.

Hopefully someone will show off what was behind that door after I finish the LP.

Greater Dog can be dealt with a number of ways, including the usual stick. Its white title is "Unaware of Life's Changes."

If you Beckon it, Pet it, Play with it, then Pet it two more times, you get the yellow title "Excited by Life's Changes" instead.

This attack shoots barks at you, but only if you move. If you stay still, it just sleeps in peace.

Another camera.

This happens.

Flowey is back here again.

Another camera.

Next time: Papyrus.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I never thought I'd be surprised by another dog pun, but here we are.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I always spared monsters as soon as they were sparable, so I've never seen Ice before. Pretty cool. Also, I always got Purple on the "Ball" game...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ProfessorProf posted:

Since I've gotten a lot of PMs about it: No, I am not interested in inserting fanmade fake material into the LP and pretending it's real.

I have to ask:

What?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I saw Ice my first time because I wasn't sure the "ignore" command was working, so I attacked it until it had 50% HP left and then I tried stealing its hat. It works then too.

Ice is also worth significantly more Gold than otherwise, so they're great way to grind during the early-game, even on Pacifist runs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ProfessorProf posted:

The gently caress?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

my dad posted:

The gently caress?

Hey, it worked great for the Mega Man Battle Network 3 LP. Pissed a lot of people off, but the execution was practically flawless.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

quote:

The amount of hidden content in this game continues to just astound me. Incredible.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Papyrus still the greatest. All is well with the world.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheMcD posted:

Hey, it worked great for the Mega Man Battle Network 3 LP. Pissed a lot of people off, but the execution was practically flawless.

Partly though sice that LPer knows pretty much everything about BN3.
And that was a culmination of the many times the thread went: "oh god could you even do that i had no loving idea".

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 12, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Partly though sice that LPer knows pretty much everything about BN3.
And that was a culmination of the many times the thread went: "oh god could you even do that i had no loving idea".

One of the things that's worth noting about the whole idea is that Everdread, who did some of the spriting, including I think pretty much everything about God-Flowey, posts on something awful and in fact, has a tendency to post fake stuff that looks very much like it could be found in the game in the general Undertale Thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I have to ask:

What?

my dad posted:

The gently caress?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

This is like the Ultimate Pandora's box for Undertale. I think we are done here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Undertale subreddit found something a few days ago.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Word has an anagram, film at 11.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

my dad posted:

If you hadn't pointed it out I never would've got it. :downs:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

my dad posted:

The Delta Rune is the symbol that's all over the game, actually. The one that Asriel becomes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheMcD posted:

I told everyone I could about that event. :negative:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The Flag results also drop hints as to how to deal with each colored attack. Never noticed that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

I an never see this as anything but a cat face.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zoe posted:

Ah goddamnit.

gently caress you man. Just... gently caress you.

I can't unsee it...

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
Glad to make it, sad to be a bit late. The third run is starting up nicely, and I'll be glad to contribute some wrap-up stuff at the end of it all, if any is necessary. Between myself and the other third of my Steam friend's list that have beaten the game, I think we'll manage to dredge up at least *something*. Really solid screenshot LP so far, I had not thought it would be feasible for this game. Hybridized well, presented effectively, good times.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Asriel Dremurr is a seriAl murDerer

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Zoe posted:

I've been staring at it for a few minutes now but I'm not seeing this at all, can you give me a hint here

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Suaimhneas posted:

I've been staring at it for a few minutes now but I'm not seeing this at all, can you give me a hint here

triangles make the eyes and nose

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pureauthor posted:

I saw it as the eyes and mouth. Though it could also be the ears and mouth.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

. . .

. . .

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ah goddamnit.

gently caress you man. Just... gently caress you.

I can't unsee it...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

whoa

lemme just whip up a cool 2500 words on this

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Pureauthor posted:

YF-23 posted:

I saw it as the eyes and mouth. Though it could also be the ears and mouth.

WOWIE!!! I FEEL SO INFORMED!

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Augus posted:

Asriel Dremurr is a seriAl murDerer

I see this everywhere but it doesn't really work because he's not! He's not a serial murderer! He explicitly resists the urge to murder. Even in the final boss fight he doesn't want to actually kill you, just reset so that he gets to keep you around. Gosh!!! GOLLY!!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
He killed Asgore.

But he seems more the mass murderer type than serial murderer to me.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

He killed Asgore.

But he seems more the mass murderer type than serial murderer to me.

Flowey killed Asgore. I don't really consider them the same person exactly, since Asriel has a soul (even if it's not his) and Flowey doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dreemurr being an anagram for "murderer" was probably intentional but I really doubt Asriel being an anagram for "serial" was too

• Locked thread