Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
I had no problem with Omega Flowey. I only died accidentally twice: the very first time (which I think is deliberately more overwhelming, just to make sure you get the creepy Game Over), and once on my replay when I was loving around and something tiny but surprising happened that hasn't appeared in the LP and I didn't even know was possible. (I died a lot on the replay, but that was the only accidental one.)

My friend, however, died repeatedly, and it was annoying that there was no mitigating factor at all that I could point her to. She just had to keep dying until, eventually, she didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I died a lot on Omega Flowey, and I don't really know why. It feels like my brain just went OHMYGODWHATTHEFUCKISTHAT and basically deadlocked itself, leading to a lot of flailing around and dying. Honestly, there's no other explanation I can think of for why I died more on Omega Flowey than I did on Undyne the Undying and Sans combined.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tengames posted:

I'm kind of impressed in all the ways the difficulty scales in this game. You could absolutely be the shittiest player in the world and you'll still get through all the bosses just by virtue of toriel never killing you, papyrus only capturing you,and other stuff later on. its a nice contrast where the genocide run is peak "get gud".

You say this but I had a friend hit a death spiral on Muffet after naturally hitting the 'fight papyrus y/n' option and only getting through Undyne by the skin of her teeth; she couldn't manage Muffet at all. I ended up having to adjust her save by hand so she could do it (notebook+tem armour, plus other goodies). Fortunately, I don't think she needed to hit the panic button for that fight that I dropped in her inventory.

I have no idea what she's gonna do when she hits Asgore. I legit have no idea how anyone can be this bad, honestly.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

distactedOne posted:

I had no problem with Omega Flowey. I only died accidentally twice: the very first time (which I think is deliberately more overwhelming, just to make sure you get the creepy Game Over), and once on my replay when I was loving around and something tiny but surprising happened that hasn't appeared in the LP and I didn't even know was possible. (I died a lot on the replay, but that was the only accidental one.)

My friend, however, died repeatedly, and it was annoying that there was no mitigating factor at all that I could point her to. She just had to keep dying until, eventually, she didn't.

pure DETERMINATION

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've watched streams and for some reason a lot of people react to omega flowey by going straight up and running into where the bullets are coming from. It's really weird.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I also had a real hard time on the first stage of Omega Flowey. The first time I could hardly even move, I was just boggling at it. Second time I think I started laughing when the giant cartoon bombs showed up. And being really tired cause I'd stayed up till 1 am wanting to beat the game didn't help either, so it took me a lot of reloads till I got to the first checkpoint.

When I saw the fight command doing just 1 damage, I seriously wondered for a while if the fight was so ridiculous to make it totally unwinnable, and all you could do was that 1 damage at a time, so to kill Flowey would be a battle of pure determination reloading over and over again countless times.

I was mad enough at Flowey at that point that I thought I'd be willing to do it, too. Though not all in one sitting. :v:

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I somehow only died to Omega Flowey once (getting the creepy Game Over) before making it all the way through on my second try. I had never played any kind of bullet hell before, so I think it was mostly luck that got me through. At least, until I figured out that the easiest way to avoid the white bulletsfriendliness pellets was to find the spot they WEREN'T and hide there.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I didn't die the first time I did it, and actually assumed that it was impossible to die on the fight because I figured if it was possible to die, I would have, given the amount of poo poo he throws at you.

I did die on it when I tried again later, though. On my genocide - 1 run, which is funny since you'd think all that LOVE would make the fight easier.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is an important point to consider in light of the Genocide route. Papyrus is incapable of killing you. He is literally incapable of killing you, under any circumstances. He is completely, 100% harmless in every way.

One fun theory I read is that Papyrus is incredibly strong, but diverted all his effort to learning how to pull his punches and treat enemies nicely for his brother's sake. Sans only has 1 HP, after all. Attacks that don't ever hurt you and can cease mid-battle would be important for someone like him.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oxxidation posted:

One fun theory I read is that Papyrus is incredibly strong, but diverted all his effort to learning how to pull his punches and treat enemies nicely for his brother's sake. Sans only has 1 HP, after all. Attacks that don't ever hurt you and can cease mid-battle would be important for someone like him.

You are assuming that sans would fight, or do something that takes effort like help Papyrus train.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

YF-23 posted:

You are assuming that sans would fight, or do something that takes effort like help Papyrus train.

He reads him bedtime stories, so it's not so wild to imagine sans doing uncharacteristic things for his brother :3:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

quote:

NYEHFULLY YOURS, PAPYRUS

Oh my god
Papyrus
You are killing me

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Oh my god
Papyrus
You are killing me

Didn't we just learn Papyrus can't kill you?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I've watched streams and for some reason a lot of people react to omega flowey by going straight up and running into where the bullets are coming from. It's really weird.

I see a lot of people's reactions to Toriel's fire sweep with her hands is to immediately get rid of that obnoxious 87% of the screen they have to dodge it by trapping themselves at the top. I don't get why.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Somebody did, and it's not Undyne. The misdirection of the blue attack is way too sucker-punch-y for Papyrus to have thought it up himself.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I see a lot of people's reactions to Toriel's fire sweep with her hands is to immediately get rid of that obnoxious 87% of the screen they have to dodge it by trapping themselves at the top. I don't get why.

I would assume because they don't expect so much tracking, so think dodging into the gap up top will give them more time to dodge because "They went towards the middle of the screen then rebounded back when I was in the middle" :pseudo: You're supposed to dodge between bullets so they try to dodge between them as early as possible... which, doesn't work out so great on that attack.

Now, when she only uses ONE hand? yeah that's dumb and silly :v:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I only died once to Omega Flowey, and that was because I noticed the HP thing and got sloppy. After the initial "OH JESUS gently caress AAAAAAAH" reaction I just kinda switched to bullet hell mode. Turns out a brain-overloading boss gets a lot easier when you shut out everything outside of a certain area just to process it. :j:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

RareAcumen posted:

The ironic part is that I'm actually pretty decent at bullet hells and Omega Flowey wrecked me until I realized that I should be "trapping myself" at the bottom of the screen.

"Stay the gently caress away from the edges" turns out to be a hard habit to break but that's where the safest spot was for that fight.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Heatwizard posted:

Somebody did, and it's not Undyne. The misdirection of the blue attack is way too sucker-punch-y for Papyrus to have thought it up himself.

Also, some of their attacks are really similar. There's a couple of Sans' patterns that are identical to Papyrus', just faster.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Qrr posted:

I didn't die the first time I did it, and actually assumed that it was impossible to die on the fight because I figured if it was possible to die, I would have, given the amount of poo poo he throws at you.

I was the same. I actually felt kind of disappointed when I got to Asriel and "But it refused", because I was thinking "really, game, two bosses in a row where you can't die?"

Then I watched some LPs and realised that I must have been dodging better than I thought I was :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

I was the same. I actually felt kind of disappointed when I got to Asriel and "But it refused", because I was thinking "really, game, two bosses in a row where you can't die?"

Then I watched some LPs and realised that I must have been dodging better than I thought I was :v:

At least Omega Flowey kicks you out of the game for losing... Well, he does during the first part, at least. With Asriel you just pop right back into the fight a round or two behind where you left off. I haven't beaten a Touhou (or other shooter) game in ages and wished both of them were legitimate challenging fights instead of glorified cutscenes.

At least there's always Undyne and Sans for a proper challenge. :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It kind of works thematically, to have pacifist mode be easy and laid back compared to genocide dunking on you. It does not make for super fun gameplay but it does make for a richer overall narrative experience.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

No argument there. Even Asriel admits the first part of the fight was mostly just for show. He was so excited over getting to play with Prof again that he put up a big anime fight for the both of them then summoned his Original Character Do Not Steal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Section Z posted:

I would assume because they don't expect so much tracking, so think dodging into the gap up top will give them more time to dodge because "They went towards the middle of the screen then rebounded back when I was in the middle" :pseudo: You're supposed to dodge between bullets so they try to dodge between them as early as possible... which, doesn't work out so great on that attack.

Now, when she only uses ONE hand? yeah that's dumb and silly :v:

My most favoritest favorite part of watching people play this game is when they get to Toriel. 'Oh well, there was nothing I could do, I guess you have to kill her.' They say, after hitting her 6-14 times depending on if they're using the toy knife or stick. :allears:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

YF-23 posted:

It kind of works thematically, to have pacifist mode be easy and laid back compared to genocide dunking on you. It does not make for super fun gameplay but it does make for a richer overall narrative experience.

Yeah this is why it bugs me when people complain about the no mercy run being less satisfying narratively and otherwise, I was kind of arguing about it with someone else earlier in the thread. There are certain things in games where it's like, yes, you personally do not like it, but this was a deliberate design decision made to make the game play or feel a certain way, which it does, successfully, and therefore you can't actually say it makes the game worse, because that means the game would be objectively better without it (unless it's so utterly rank that there was clear malice in it to begin with, but I don't have any examples of that at the moment); up until now my go-to example was Baby Mario's crying in Yoshi's Island but Undertale's no mercy run might supplant it. In both cases there was a deliberate decision made to do things this way because otherwise the game everyone loves doesn't happen. For Baby Mario, when Mario was quiet, playtesters would just ignore him and go off doing their own thing, and the timer would run out, and they'd lose the life; so they put in a sound which the human brain is hard-wired by evolution to hate to motivate them to get him back so he'd shut the gently caress up, because it turns out "if you don't then you lose the game" isn't much of a motivation for gamers I guess. So you can gripe that it was annoying but the only response I really have is "yeah that was the point, good job, you got almost as far as the guy trying to make a fun game for people to play."

Likewise you can complain that no mercy wasn't as enjoyable to play as pacifist in Undertale until you're blue attack in the face but all that means is that you noticed Toby, with his deliberate and calculated decision to stay 100% on-message no matter how the player played the game, didn't super want you to have the same experience satisfaction-wise from a no mercy run as from a pacifist run.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah this is why it bugs me when people complain about the no mercy run being less satisfying narratively and otherwise, I was kind of arguing about it with someone else earlier in the thread. There are certain things in games where it's like, yes, you personally do not like it, but this was a deliberate design decision made to make the game play or feel a certain way, which it does, successfully, and therefore you can't actually say it makes the game worse, because that means the game would be objectively better without it (unless it's so utterly rank that there was clear malice in it to begin with, but I don't have any examples of that at the moment); up until now my go-to example was Baby Mario's crying in Yoshi's Island but Undertale's no mercy run might supplant it. In both cases there was a deliberate decision made to do things this way because otherwise the game everyone loves doesn't happen. For Baby Mario, when Mario was quiet, playtesters would just ignore him and go off doing their own thing, and the timer would run out, and they'd lose the life; so they put in a sound which the human brain is hard-wired by evolution to hate to motivate them to get him back so he'd shut the gently caress up, because it turns out "if you don't then you lose the game" isn't much of a motivation for gamers I guess. So you can gripe that it was annoying but the only response I really have is "yeah that was the point, good job, you got almost as far as the guy trying to make a fun game for people to play."

Likewise you can complain that no mercy wasn't as enjoyable to play as pacifist in Undertale until you're blue attack in the face but all that means is that you noticed Toby, with his deliberate and calculated decision to stay 100% on-message no matter how the player played the game, didn't super want you to have the same experience satisfaction-wise from a no mercy run as from a pacifist run.
I wouldn't say, necessarily, that it's less enjoyable, because there's something definitely engaging about the two real fights in the run that has appeal. They're very different play experiences and that's very calculated, but it's never meant to be totally without satisfaction because the emotion after the Sans fight typically is relief and a guilty fist-pump at beating him. I know thematically I was supposed to not feel good about beating up Undyne the Undying but it was a hard fight for me and I sort of bathed in the afterglow for a bit.

That's quite the storytelling accomplishment; even if you do enjoy that sort of challenge it still leaves a sour aftertaste if you are at all engaged with the characters. But it's still enough of a game to let you savor it, your sins be damned.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the fights were meant to be enjoyed from a gameplay standpoint. If Toby really didn't want people playing the evil path, it would have been easy for him to make fights that were completely unfair and dealt nothing but cheap shots or something like that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Genocide run is unsatisfying because after the most grueling boss fight in the entire game you are rewarded with the remaining characters being killed unceremoniously and then the game crashing. It's a wet fart of an ending that makes the entire struggle feel pointless, but thats the point

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Augus posted:

The Genocide run is unsatisfying because after the most grueling boss fight in the entire game you are rewarded with the remaining characters being killed unceremoniously and then the game crashing. It's a wet fart of an ending that makes the entire struggle feel pointless, but thats the point

If you were doing a genocide run because you wanted a fancy fireworks display, you had some kind of deeply confused idea of what was going on.

Sans is totally upfront about it. If you're beating Sans, the reward is in beating him. You're systematically exhausting the play space and clearing all challenges, and you've already proven that you're willing to pay a price of tedious bullshit to get it.

Sans posted:

i know your type.
you're, uh, very determined, aren't you?
you'll never give up, even if there's, uh...
absolutely NO benefit to perservering whatsoever.
if i can make that clear.
no matter what, you'll just keep going.
not out of any desire for good or evil...
but just because you think you can.
and because you "can"...
...you "have to."

No benefit to persevering whatsoever.

Not out of any desire for good or evil...

But because you "can", you "have to".

The "penalties" of the genocide run in that mindset are rewards. If you aren't in a mindset that would believe that, you listened to Flowey when he begged you not to reset the game after True Pacifist.

edit: vvvvvvv :tem: properly animated. I approve.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 15, 2015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This cute animation just got posted in the main thread. :3:

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?
Nooooo.

That animation may be nice, but I can't handle the end.

This is great, though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

kw0134 posted:

That's quite the storytelling accomplishment; even if you do enjoy that sort of challenge it still leaves a sour aftertaste if you are at all engaged with the characters. But it's still enough of a game to let you savor it, your sins be damned.

This is a way better phrasing of what I was trying to express. Toby's said himself that no mercy isn't supposed to be completely unsatisfying, but at the same time the fact that it is a completely different beast, emotionally, tonally, experientially overall, is clearly completely deliberate and a fundamental part of the experience if you're the sort of person who has it in them to go through with a no mercy run in the first place. If you don't like that experience, maybe it's time to ask yourself why you wanted it in the first place.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The intesting thing about Undertale to me is that all of the Boss Monsters in the game go out of their way to avoid killing you despite being hyped up as so powerful.

Toriel actively avoids injuring you at low HP, Asgore can only kill you if he hits you at 1 HP, Omega Flowey apparently scales damage based on your health, and Asriel is basically a cutscene boss.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Flowey does kill you really hard over and over

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Pretty sure Undyne only stops trying to kill you if she faints from exhaustion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Iretep posted:

Pretty sure Undyne only stops trying to kill you if she faints from exhaustion.

She's not a Boss Monster :eng101:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Two things I remembered to note!

One is that wolf guy throwing ice from all the way across the game to cool down the Core runs away in the genocide run...and the minute I saw that I was sure there was going to be some sort of core meltdown happening. Sadly there was no such thing! It'd have been cool if the core was all red and heat shimmery.

And as well, I think I remember someone asking where exactly all the fled citizenry went. I think Undyne was all 'they're somewhere you'll never ever get to'. ...and conveniently, such a place is right next to Alphys's lab. You can't go into the middle chunk of hotland because there are those force fields blocking the way, so that does answer that question!

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

Two things I remembered to note!

One is that wolf guy throwing ice from all the way across the game to cool down the Core runs away in the genocide run...and the minute I saw that I was sure there was going to be some sort of core meltdown happening. Sadly there was no such thing! It'd have been cool if the core was all red and heat shimmery.

And as well, I think I remember someone asking where exactly all the fled citizenry went. I think Undyne was all 'they're somewhere you'll never ever get to'. ...and conveniently, such a place is right next to Alphys's lab. You can't go into the middle chunk of hotland because there are those force fields blocking the way, so that does answer that question!

You also never gain access to the true lab whilst having a Bad Time, which would make a decent place to store refugees; Alphys keeps some food down there and everything.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

This is a way better phrasing of what I was trying to express. Toby's said himself that no mercy isn't supposed to be completely unsatisfying, but at the same time the fact that it is a completely different beast, emotionally, tonally, experientially overall, is clearly completely deliberate and a fundamental part of the experience if you're the sort of person who has it in them to go through with a no mercy run in the first place. If you don't like that experience, maybe it's time to ask yourself why you wanted it in the first place.

There is satisfaction to be gained in all the puzzle bullshit being pre-solved, completely disregarding Papyrus trying to play with you, sending all of Monsterland in a panicked run away from you, Monster Kid turning from a friend into a tragic nuisance (without anything being changed about him too!), and of course, in the Undyne and Sans fights themselves. There is no "deliberate unsatisfaction" in it, it's all entirely satisfactory. But you have to see it as part of the whole instead of standalone. And you have to do the same about Pacifist too! You cannot really experience a genocide without being aware of how pacifist plays out, and pacifist itself is enhanced by knowledge of what genocide is like. The two work together and fill each other's inadequacies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Heatwizard posted:

You also never gain access to the true lab whilst having a Bad Time, which would make a decent place to store refugees; Alphys keeps some food down there and everything.
Pretty sure she can use the blocked-off second floor instead.

• Locked thread