Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

I remember when VB said it's ridiculous for anyone to maintain Saudi is anywhere near as bad as Iran

good times

uh they are clearly defending themselves from the perfidious persian aggression in yemen dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I predict my attempt to claim that generalisations both for and against religion are stupid will be roundly hated by both sides of that divide in the 'france got bombed' thread.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So ya know how Mormons baptize dead people into Mormonism?

http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i always feel vaguely ill at ease with a bunch of armchair theologians trying to do exegesis on a book they, for the most part, have neither read nor thought particularly carefully about

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i always feel vaguely ill at ease with a bunch of armchair theologians trying to do exegesis on a book they, for the most part, have neither read nor thought particularly carefully about

at least two people are making the 'atheism is just as bad!' argument clumsily, including one guy who has seemingly lumped european colonialism bizarrely on to the 'atheist' pile and another guy who implicitly compared r/atheists to ISIS

like hrm maybe it's more complicated than that boys

and then ofc an army of 'well islam is evil' people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember when the 300 Saudis stood together to repel the Median menace

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those fuckign MEDES

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I also found something really funny in the coding of that dead Mormon name generator:

quote:

var names = jQuery.parseJSON('{"firstnames":{ "1":"Abraham", "2":"Amanda", "3":"Amy", "4":"Andrew", "5":"Angela", "6":"Ann", "7":"Anna", "8":"Anthony", "9":"Arthur", "10":"Barbara", "11":"Betty", "12":"Biff", "13":"Brenda", "14":"Brian", "15":"Carl", "16":"Carol", "17":"Carolyn", "18":"Catherine", "19":"Charles", "20":"Christine", "21":"Christopher", "22":"Cynthia", "23":"Daniel", "24":"David", "25":"Deborah", "26":"Debra", "27":"Dennis", "28":"Diane", "29":"Donald", "30":"Donna", "31":"Dorothy", "32":"Douglas", "33":"Edward", "34":"Elizabeth", "35":"Eric", "36":"Frances", "37":"Frank", "38":"Gary", "39":"George", "40":"Gregory", "41":"Harold", "42":"Helen", "43":"Henry", "44":"James", "45":"Janet", "46":"Jason", "47":"Jeffrey", "48":"Jennifer", "49":"Jerry", "50":"Jessica", "51":"John", "52":"Jose", "53":"Joseph", "54":"Joshua", "55":"Joyce", "56":"Karen", "57":"Kathleen", "58":"Kenneth", "59":"Kevin", "60":"Kimberly", "61":"Larry", "62":"Laura", "63":"Linda", "64":"Lisa", "65":"Margaret", "66":"Maria", "67":"Marie", "68":"Mark", "69":"Martha", "70":"Mary", "71":"Matthew", "72":"Melissa", "73":"Michael", "74":"Michelle", "75":"Nancy", "76":"Pamela", "77":"Patricia", "78":"Patrick", "79":"Paul", "80":"Peter", "81":"Raymond", "82":"Rebecca", "83":"Richard", "84":"Robert", "85":"Roger", "86":"Ronald", "87":"Ruth", "88":"Ryan", "89":"Sandra", "90":"Sarah", "91":"Scott", "92":"Sharon", "93":"Shirley", "94":"Stephanie", "95":"Stephen", "96":"Steven", "97":"Susan", "98":"Thomas", "99":"Timothy", "100":"Virginia", "101":"Walter", "102":"William", "103":"Mitt","104":"Willard" }, "lastnames":{ "1":"Adams", "2":"Alexander", "3":"Allen", "4":"Anderson", "5":"Bailey", "6":"Baker", "7":"Barnes", "8":"Bell", "9":"Bennett", "10":"Brooks", "11":"Brown", "12":"Bryant", "13":"Butler", "14":"Campbell", "15":"Carter", "16":"Clark", "17":"Coleman", "18":"Collins", "19":"Cook", "20":"Cooper", "21":"Cox", "22":"Davis", "23":"Diaz", "24":"Edwards", "25":"Evans", "26":"Flores", "27":"Foster", "28":"Garcia", "29":"Gonzales", "30":"Gonzalez", "31":"Gray", "32":"Green", "33":"Griffin", "34":"Hall", "35":"Harris", "36":"Hayes", "37":"Henderson", "38":"Hernandez", "39":"Hill", "40":"Howard", "41":"Hughes", "42":"Jackson", "43":"James", "44":"Jenkins", "45":"Johnson", "46":"Jones", "47":"Kelly", "48":"King", "49":"Lee", "50":"Lewis", "51":"Lincoln", "52":"Long", "53":"Lopez", "54":"Martin", "55":"Martinez", "56":"Mcfly", "57":"Miller", "58":"Mitchell", "59":"Moore", "60":"Morgan", "61":"Morris", "62":"Murphy", "63":"Nelson", "64":"Parker", "65":"Patterson", "66":"Perez", "67":"Perry", "68":"Peterson", "69":"Phillips", "70":"Powell", "71":"Price", "72":"Ramirez", "73":"Reed", "74":"Richardson", "75":"Rivera", "76":"Roberts", "77":"Robinson", "78":"Rodriguez", "79":"Rogers", "80":"Ross", "81":"Russell", "82":"Sanchez", "83":"Sanders", "84":"Scott", "85":"Simmons", "86":"Smith", "87":"Stewart", "88":"Taylor", "89":"Thomas", "90":"Thompson", "91":"Torres", "92":"Turner", "93":"Walker", "94":"Ward", "95":"Washington", "96":"Watson", "97":"White", "98":"Williams", "99":"Wilson", "100":"Wood", "101":"Wright", "102":"Young","103":"Romney","104":"Palin" }}');
Apparently Mitt Romney is actually dead, and Sarah Palin is a dead Mormon. Who knew?:v:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

at least two people are making the 'atheism is just as bad!' argument clumsily, including one guy who has seemingly lumped european colonialism bizarrely on to the 'atheist' pile and another guy who implicitly compared r/atheists to ISIS

like hrm maybe it's more complicated than that boys

and then ofc an army of 'well islam is evil' people

:eng99:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

looks good

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

V. Illych L. posted:

uh they are clearly defending themselves from the perfidious persian aggression in yemen dude

All I need to know about Persia is what I learned in 300.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

All I need to know about Persia is what I learned in 300.

Your probation has made you slow and derivative

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

people who think r/atheists aren't just funny and dumb and think they're actually a threat to civil society are pretty funny imo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

people who think r/atheists aren't just funny and dumb and think they're actually a threat to civil society are pretty funny imo

well they are certainly a threat to civility in society, if nothing else

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hostility towards Persia is a continuation of the greatest of Republican traditions.

Where would the Greek world be had Persia been successfully conquered?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hostility towards Persia is a continuation of the greatest of Republican traditions.

migf you're doing an ignorance again

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

What would Caesar think of the Iran deal?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

It was rough. During most of my sentence I rarely got to see the light of day.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

jessica jones will be a good television show

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

What would Caesar think of the Iran deal?

If they got the standards back : good deal

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Alexander the Great and the Seleucids rolling in their graves

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He has nearly 75% of his limbs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread who cars

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Do you think Volkerball would agree with MIGF w/r/t Iran, or would MIGF's MIGF-ness make Volkerball argue against MIGF anyway?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

volkerball is not as stupid as migf

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
For as much credit we give the military, anytime a zombie apocalypse rolls around they don't seem to do much.

Makes me question where this defense budget is really going.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Disinterested posted:

Alexander the Great and the Seleucids rolling in their graves

wait you still think alexander the great was an historical person?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Disinterested posted:

If this praise was any fainter it would be impossible to measure, but fair point:v:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sharkie posted:

well if he isn't then jesus definitely isn't

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Gravel Gravy posted:

For as much credit we give the military, anytime a zombie apocalypse rolls around they don't seem to do much.

Makes me question where this defense budget is really going.

notorious goon book World War Z never really established how the zombies deal with armor

there's a really bad melodramatic bit where the german PoV character's army buddy rolls off in a Leopard and he goes "and that was the last time I ever saw him"

really? why?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

fade5 posted:

If this praise was any fainter it would be impossible to measure, but fair point:v:

volkerball is not as far as I know explicitly in favour of commiting genocide and war crimes, it's just an accidental feature of his ideology

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

fade5 posted:

It's the reason millimeters are a thing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
R/atheists are heavily male, American, and white, thus prone to being mass shooters, thus a danger to society

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Disinterested posted:

i salute volkerball's service

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sharkie posted:

one time i read a thread on an alt-history forum whose premise was "could alexander the great defeat genghis khan"

for some reason the thread was not just a whole succession of "lol, no"'s

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PupsOfWar posted:

notorious goon book World War Z never really established how the zombies deal with armor

there's a really bad melodramatic bit where the german PoV character's army buddy rolls off in a Leopard and he goes "and that was the last time I ever saw him"

really? why?

He runs out of gas, eventually has to get out, and gets munched by a zombie causing at minimum inevitable zombification

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PupsOfWar posted:

really? why?

Because Germany spends only 1. 1% of its GDP on defense.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

HOW do people watch this poo poo

its the least offensive procedural-esque show on television

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
wait a goon wrote world war z?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU