Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will leave Survivor's Series as WWE Champion?
This poll is closed.
Roman Reigns 46 20.54%
Dean Ambrose 15 6.70%
Kevin Owens 19 8.48%
Sheamus 50 22.32%
The Gobbledygooker :tastykake: 94 41.96%
Total: 224 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
You have to wonder if they'll ever mention that 'contract signing' ever again, or at least any part mentioning Reid. Feels like one of those things they threw out there and will immediately pretend didn't happpen, other than maybe a quick glossing over Charlotte and Paige brawling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I kept noticing throughout the segment that she kept specifying younger brother.

Because there are fates worse than death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hlO_1JGTww

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Apparently Ric will be at SS and if Vince is smart they might "accidentally" have him go through a metal detector before he gets near him

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

pressedbunny posted:

You have to wonder if they'll ever mention that 'contract signing' ever again, or at least any part mentioning Reid. Feels like one of those things they threw out there and will immediately pretend didn't happpen, other than maybe a quick glossing over Charlotte and Paige brawling.
I don't see how they don't address it on the PPV, even in the vaguest possible terms. But after that, they'd better forget that component ever existed and just refer to the Paige/Charlotte as "intense and personal, bah gawd."

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Divas Revolution just keeps getting better and better.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Divas Revolution: Still focusing on one singles feud, and at best a faction feud just so everyone gets screentime.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sticklefifer posted:

The Divas Revolution: Still focusing on one singles feud, and at best a faction feud just so everyone gets screentime.

PCB formed and broke up within three weeks. I'm the B who can B a B when she wants to B. P is a C. B said that on SD and they didn't edit it out.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wait this also means that Vince would be cool with doing a storyline on a dead family member of his.

e: WHAT IF THIS TURNS INTO A TOTAL DIVAS STORY LINE :psyduck:

keevo fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 18, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Luigi Thirty posted:

"This Raw was like... going out to a restaurant and the appetizers are great, but you get the main course and you throw up. All you remember about the meal was that you threw up. I threw up in my brain." -Davey Boy Meltzer

You took mild artistic liberties putting this quote together, cutting out the other guy, so I'm asterisking it here's an asterisk *

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BTW gently caress that last segment and gently caress it hard and gently caress anyone whose idea it was. loving gross.

I will say I actually thought other than the last shot by Paige it was sort of okay. Pretty good, even. Charlotte saying like, "I'm doing this for my younger brother", etc. would've been okay by itself, but that last line by Paige was just...ughhhhh.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
gently caress Charlotte for OK-ing that line for the promo, tbh.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

dsriggs posted:

I see you've come around to Rovert's side.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That's sweet that you think they had any real choice in the matter, as if one or the other wouldn't have been buried if they refused. Vince McMahon, King of Carnies.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dsriggs posted:

I dunno, I could see her not feeling comfortable with vetoing it, all things considered. It's a really difficult position for her to be in. Or Paige for that matter.

Now if she and Paige had said no together, that might've worked.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

BTW gently caress that last segment and gently caress it hard and gently caress anyone whose idea it was. loving gross.

I will say I actually thought other than the last shot by Paige it was sort of okay. Pretty good, even. Charlotte saying like, "I'm doing this for my younger brother", etc. would've been okay by itself, but that last line by Paige was just...ughhhhh.
There's no point to Charlotte bringing him up while trying to relate to Paige without Paige turning it around and throwing it back in her face. That's the whole focal point of the segment and why we're still talking about it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

dsriggs posted:

This is so tabloid, as a lot of wrestling journalism and thus discussion often is, it's just so boring. You're really mad at Charlotte?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's hard to be mad at anybody but Vince

Charlotte was probably scared shitless, Ric didn't blame her and feared even bringing it up in a podcast would loving ruin her, and in this situation where the people involved are Charlotte/Ric/Paige/Vince, Paige is the second-most insane and probably just thought this was a trip back to the good old days her family used to tell her about

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cory Lidle posted:

There's no point to Charlotte bringing him up while trying to relate to Paige without Paige turning it around and throwing it back in her face. That's the whole focal point of the segment and why we're still talking about it.

Paige could've mocked Charlotte for it without mocking Reid. She could've, I dunno, said "If you're crying now it'll be that much worse when I take your title and you let down your family." or something, rather than literally saying Reid was a weakling for succumbing to addiction. Just spitballing here.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

remember when wwe insisted they had permission from bill moody's family to use him in the build to punk/taker like a week after he died and then they were apparently horrified as they watched cm punk dump out his "ashes" and smear them all over himself and the undertaker because they didn't know what they were giving permission to do

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
anybody like action figures? I like Wrestling action figures. They're cool

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

oatgan posted:

remember when wwe insisted they had permission from bill moody's family to use him in the build to punk/taker like a week after he died and then they were apparently horrified as they watched cm punk dump out his "ashes" and smear them all over himself and the undertaker because they didn't know what they were giving permission to do

I hadn't heard about that. But it did cross my mind to try using Punk/Undertaker's feud there as a reason to not hate on Charlotte. I'll give it a try... you Charlotte haters... you don't hate Punk and/or Undertaker do you? (If you do, my deeply philosophical plan has failed)

Why are we mostly concerned with condemning people (or hating them or whatever) based on relatively mild things like this. It sucks especially because her parents were unhappy about it, but it's still odd to hate a person for being part of this TV schlock drama. Which is also their job, etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 18, 2015

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Well, at least we know what's winning Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic this year.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

El Generico posted:

Well, at least we know what's winning Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic this year.

I seriously had A Storm Approaches Japan as the shoo-in but Vince decided to steal another thing away from TNA I guess

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Paige could've mocked Charlotte for it without mocking Reid. She could've, I dunno, said "If you're crying now it'll be that much worse when I take your title and you let down your family." or something, rather than literally saying Reid was a weakling for succumbing to addiction. Just spitballing here.
I get that, but you implied that the go-home line spoiled the whole thing. The go-home line is the whole reason that segment was written, sparks a pull apart brawl (which, by the way, was pretty good) and literally headlined the show. There was no line item veto here.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

El Generico posted:

Hypothetically does having the Psycho Circus trios match happen (featuring guy who just had a stroke) count for nomination in that award

If not, yeah, it's not even gonna be close

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Initially I didn't like the segment because it felt like an unnatural, desperate, last minute attempt to get heat. The delivery was atrocious for the first half of the angle & the story they were trying to tell just seemed unbelievable. Now I dislike it even more.

I think it's possible to do an angle around a real life tragedy, but hotshotting it like this out of nowhere is just dumb.

One of the more weird parts of the whole thing I thought was Charlotte trying to sell that Paige was there for her when Reid died? Paige just awkwardly said "I was always using you". Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe for a second those 2 had any relationship before Charlotte decided to become a wrestler.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Chris James 2 posted:

Hypothetically does having the Psycho Circus trios match happen (featuring guy who just had a stroke) count for nomination in that award

That's already winning worst match, so it seems unfair to double up.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

what about promoting that match was disgusting? it was a send off for a legend there was nothing gross or immoral about it. It was just a bad match on a bad PPV

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

abraham linksys posted:

I seriously had A Storm Approaches Japan as the shoo-in but Vince decided to steal another thing away from TNA I guess

I think that was 2014 anyway

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ed: ^^ They did it again (or something similar) a few months ago

oatgan posted:

what about promoting that match was disgusting? it was a send off for a legend there was nothing gross or immoral about it. It was just a bad match on a bad PPV

Having the guy who just had a stroke engage in any major physical activity like wrestlin, and risk death so soon after that major a scare, and doing so in front of thousands (I think the attendance was thousands) seems to me if not outright disgusting, still really wrong and bad timing. Could have at least been moved to a later event imo

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 18, 2015

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Regardless of the shittiness of the angle, it's been massively successful in getting attention. And at the end of the day, they want attention that turns into people spending their money.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Initially I didn't like the segment because it felt like an unnatural, desperate, last minute attempt to get heat. The delivery was atrocious for the first half of the angle & the story they were trying to tell just seemed unbelievable. Now I dislike it even more.

I think it's possible to do an angle around a real life tragedy, but hotshotting it like this out of nowhere is just dumb.

One of the more weird parts of the whole thing I thought was Charlotte trying to sell that Paige was there for her when Reid died? Paige just awkwardly said "I was always using you". Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe for a second those 2 had any relationship before Charlotte decided to become a wrestler.
Word-wise, it was written rather poorly at times. The tone in Charlotte's lines went into a very heel place for a good few moments, with classically untrue statements of no little girls wanting to be like Paige when Paige was champion. Like... what? Faces aren't supposed to lie.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cory Lidle posted:

I get that, but you implied that the go-home line spoiled the whole thing. The go-home line is the whole reason that segment was written, sparks a pull apart brawl (which, by the way, was pretty good) and literally headlined the show. There was no line item veto here.

Well yes and no. You're right in that the level of heat in the brawl only would've worked with that low and dirty of a shot. You're also correct in that the brawl itself was pretty good and that if they insisted on having the signing headline, you need some big go-home image.

My point was that the segment itself wouldn't have been disgusting without that last line. Awkward, perhaps ill-advised, but not disgusting. I'd have done my suggested edit and shifted it so that Reigns/Cesaro main evented the show and ended TV with the WWE.COM EXCLUSIVE bit with Dean and Roman.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I probably missed this when it was discussed pages ago, but I fully support Kevin Owens in the Melissa Joan Hart incident. He was in the right to block her, and her saying he was "butt-hurt" was very tacky.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I could have sworn I heard that it was Charlotte who initially proposed bringing Reid into the angle. I guess it was just a rumor.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

AlmightyPants posted:

Regardless of the shittiness of the angle, it's been massively successful in getting attention. And at the end of the day, they want attention that turns into people spending their money.

I mean it got attention but no guarantee that translates to money.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

HulkaMatt posted:

I guess. But something that gets attention is more likely to create revenue over "here are two women and they're going to wrestle for 10-15 minutes in the death spot". At least they're trying something different!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HulkaMatt posted:

No one is signing up to the Network or paying £15 or 16 over here in the UK on Sky to watch Paige and Charlotte wrestle for 10 minutes in a match that's probably going to be middling at the very best.

Though in all fairness, I can't see anyone in their right mind doing it for Survivor Series as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I probably missed this when it was discussed pages ago, but I fully support Kevin Owens in the Melissa Joan Hart incident. He was in the right to block her, and her saying he was "butt-hurt" was very tacky.

you're getting worked, mark

• Locked thread