Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

pun pundit posted:

Both serpents are lying to you. If you play the expansion you will see what happens to a land when it has too much Dark in it. That's twice someone's listened to Kaathe and it's had horrible consequences. The Undead Curse will return in time, so Frampt is lying to you also.
I don't think they're outright lying to you, but like a filthy liar skilled PR person they're carefully and expertly omitting all the unappealing details and side effects.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Both serpents are lying to you. If you play the expansion you will see what happens to a land when it has too much Dark in it. That's twice someone's listened to Kaathe and it's had horrible consequences. The Undead Curse will return in time, so Frampt is lying to you also.

Yeah, even as I was typing it, I was kinda having a hard time convincing myself. Between New Londo and the Darkwraiths, knowing a little bit about Oolacile & the expansion, and just seeing what happens when you step into the Abyss without Artorias' Hall Pass, it seems like whatever Kaathe gets out of ushering in the Age of Dark it is not 'happy fun-times for all of humanity.'

But what evidence do we have that the Undead Curse returns after the Chosen Undead's sacrifice? Is that how DS2 kicks off? "The last guy hosed up. But this time - this time will be different!" :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Yeah, even as I was typing it, I was kinda having a hard time convincing myself. Between New Londo and the Darkwraiths, knowing a little bit about Oolacile & the expansion, and just seeing what happens when you step into the Abyss without Artorias' Hall Pass, it seems like whatever Kaathe gets out of ushering in the Age of Dark it is not 'happy fun-times for all of humanity.'

But what evidence do we have that the Undead Curse returns after the Chosen Undead's sacrifice? Is that how DS2 kicks off? "The last guy hosed up. But this time - this time will be different!" :v:

DaSo2 is probably far, far in the future from the first game. Cycles of light and dark are so old hat that no one remembers any names, just that it's happened before and almost certainly happen again.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ghost of Starman posted:

If you believe the intro lady,
"(...) and the Dragons were no more. Thus began the age of fire, but soon the flames will fade and only Dark will remain. Even now, there are only embers (...)"
She goes right from describing the start of the Age of Fire to describing that it fades. There doesn't seem to be any triggering event. Sure, it's a few thousand years... but that's with the original Lord Soul that Gwyn found in the First Flame. From what NPCs say in Dark Souls 2 it seems the cycles are getting shorter over time, too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Of course, time and space are deliberately weird in 2, so who the gently caress knows.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dis astranagant posted:

DaSo2 is probably far, far in the future from the first game. Cycles of light and dark are so old hat that no one remembers any names, just that it's happened before and almost certainly happen again.

DS2 is canonically in the future of the first game, as the major bosses hold inherited shards of DS1's major bosses' lord souls. Which they would not be able to have unless said bosses had already been killed. You only get them in NG+ but they talk specifically about where they came from in a way that explains they're from some unspecified amount of time ago (eons at least, but we don't know how long an eon is considered in Dark Souls' world):

Each of the 4 old souls posted:

Soul of the ineffable.

This once-magnificent soul continues to
exert influence over the land, even after
the eons have reduced it to these remnants.

Use it to acquire numerous souls,
or to create something of great worth.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I guess the biggest question I have, and the one I suspect there just isn't much answer to in-game, is: "What is the Darksign? Where does it come from, who/what causes it, and to what end?"

Operating under the assumptions that
a.) there were 4 Lord Souls (Light/Dark, Life/Death) connected (in some way, at least) to the First Flame;
b.) the "furtive pygmy" got the Dark Soul and was, in fact, the progenitor of humanity; and
c.) the "Humanity" in the game possessed by humans and Undead are actually fragments of said Dark Soul,

then it seems like there are two major possibilities, with lots of sub-possibilities. (Sorry for all the :words: - this got longer the more I tried to organize it. And yes, I realize better nerds than I have probably already trod all this ground a hundred times over. I just need to get it down in writing and out of my head. :cheeky:)

Possibility #1 posted:

The Undead Curse is just that, a curse - an unnatural state of being, brought on by something fundamentally wrong with the world.
1a.) Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight, has sacrificed his soul in the Kiln of the First Flame, and has guttered down to nothing more than Lord of Cinder. As Light dies and Dark becomes ascendant, the Darksign marks more and more of humanity and drags them down into mindless Hollows. A new Soul must take his place as kindling for the Flame.
1a - i.) With a fresh Soul in the Kiln, the Age of Fire is rekindled! Our heroic Chosen Undead will burn for as long as their Soul holds out, and as the Flame begins to gutter another bearing the Darksign will make the pilgrimage and replace them. :kingsley: :hf: :kingsley: ("Link the Fire" = Good-ish End)
1a - ii.) Compared to the power of Gwyn's Lord Soul, a single Undead's fragment of the Dark Soul is nothing. The Flame may burn brightly for a time, but a steady stream of Undead must be tricked, cajoled, or prodded into throwing themselves on the pyre. Fortunately, that's a sacrifice Frampt is willing to make. :patriot: ("Link the Fire" = Not-So-Good End)

1b.) Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight, attempted to link the fire - but failed.
1b - i.) The Lord Soul of Light was never the right fuel for the Flame in the first place! With the proper sacrifice of a Dark Soul, the fire is linked and the First Flame burns bright and true! Goodbye, Darksign! Sorry all your suffering was for naught, Gwyn! :tipshat: ("Link the Fire" = Good End)
1b - ii.) If even the king of the gods failed, there's nothing anyone can do to stave off the coming apocalypse. Better to end the cycle of suffering sooner, rather than draw out the end-days of the Age of Fire any longer. :smith: ("Dark Lord" = Good? End)

Possibility #2 posted:

The Dark Sign is the natural progression of events thus far - humanity's true legacy as descendants of the Furtive Pygmy and inheritors of the Dark Soul.
2a.) Gwyn is every bit the Zeus-analogue he appears to be, and only burned because of selfish desire to prolong the reign of the gods - his reign.
2a - i.) Get outta here, jerk - Humanity's time to shine! ohgodwhy :kingsley: ("Link the Fire" = Bad End)
2a - ii.) Time's up, Age of Fire is over, King poo poo of Bigdick Mountain comin' through! :kamina: ("Dark Lord" = Probably Not Good For Anyone Else End)

2b.) Gwyn is a pretty cool dude, and doesn't afraid of burning eternally to keep the Age of Fire alive and hold off the horrors of the Abyss.
2b - i.) Thank you for your service, Lord Gwyn - I'll take it from here. :supaburn: :hf: :kingsley: ("Link the Fire" = Noble End)
2b - ii.) This Abyss-dwelling primordial serpent seems legit - I'm gonna do everything he says! :cthulhu: ("Dark Lord" = Super Bad End)

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 15, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you look at the starting cinematic, the figures seen approaching the flame seem pretty hollow-y

it might be that for the creatures that carry humanity, being hollow is actually their default state.the power of the flame is an unnatural (from an outside perspective anyway) thing that changes proto-humans into not-hollows. with gwyn's age of fire guttering out, only the fragments of the dark soul can keep those more prone to regression human.

idk if that makes any sense, let me know if it doesn't

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

On a different note, have you guys had any success with Darkmoon covenant invasions? I've been spamming the blue orb in Anor Londo and Tomb of Giants (hey don't judge me) and haven't had a single bite - that's with 10-15 nodes consistently.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ghost of Starman posted:

I guess the biggest question I have, and the one I suspect there just isn't much answer to in-game, is: "What is the Darksign? Where does it come from, who/what causes it, and to what end?"

Operating under the assumptions that
a.) there were 4 Lord Souls (Light/Dark, Life/Death) connected (in some way, at least) to the First Flame;
b.) the "furtive pygmy" got the Dark Soul and was, in fact, the progenitor of humanity; and
c.) the "Humanity" in the game possessed by humans and Undead are actually fragments of said Dark Soul,

then it seems like there are two major possibilities, with lots of sub-possibilities. (Sorry for all the :words: - this got longer the more I tried to organize it. And yes, I realize better nerds than I have probably already trod all this ground a hundred times over. I just need to get it down in writing and out of my head. :cheeky:)

Yeah, this basically seems all to be right (or as correct as we can guess from what we know). There is no one answer, and all the endings are either directly bad or just hold off the inevitable for a while. I hope DS3 will shed a bit of light on the big themes of DS1. Dark Souls 2 didn't really add anything substantial to the main plot, it's 'just' another cycle.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Southern Heel posted:

On a different note, have you guys had any success with Darkmoon covenant invasions? I've been spamming the blue orb in Anor Londo and Tomb of Giants (hey don't judge me) and haven't had a single bite - that's with 10-15 nodes consistently.

The best places for Darkmoon invasions are the common PvP hotspots, most notably the forest, the parish, and the inside of Anor Londo's cathedral. Level range also matters. As a Darkmoon, you can invade very far downwards but only a few level upwards, so you'll generally want to be at a fairly high level.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just did a fast run to see how long would take to get the gravelord sword on a fresh character and enough souls to get 24str for one hand it before starting to move from firelink shrine. 23 minutes is what it took, starting as warrior (13str and 13dex).

Got the soul on the body before leaving the asylum, the souls around firelink. Went down the elevator to New Londo, got the Estoc, masterkey to the valley of drakes, soul from the body at the door and then the one from the body near the poison Drake (got the shield and sword while I could aswell).

Did a darksign to firelink and went to the elevator, dropped to loot the homeward bone and various stuff from there. Graveyard soul, catacombs until I could drop to the Titanite Demon (easy drop from the very first bridge), looted the eyes and then coffin to Nito. Used some souls to get 16str for two handing the Gravelord Sword and cleared the graveyard twice (one shotting skeletons and 2 shotting the big ones) so I could stack enough souls to get 24str for one hand purposes.

I love this game, bit more than 20 minutes and I can destroy anything early ingame with no upgrades needed. The great scythe is the other weapon from the catacombs that can make life easier that early into the game.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

As soon as you arrive in firelink you should have enough souls for 16 str, then you just grab the weapon and go after the gargoyles.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You can also go down into Blighttown and get an easy 17'000 souls (9000 lying around, 8000 for beating Mildred) and pick up the Cloranthy Ring as well. Or run past the Hydra to Sif's area where you'll find another 13'000 Souls on corpses and the Hornet Ring. Plus, you get to unlock Shiva's weapon.

There are a lot of ways to become overpowered right at the beginning if you start with the Master Key, but I think that's a good thing. It adds to the replay value since it encourages you to come up with new routes and enter high-level areas earlier than you normally would. It really drives home how interconnected the world of Dark Souls is.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've done the Blighttown route before and was lucky enough to not die dropping down, in the swamp, getting the ring, going up again killing mildred and back to firelink. Never done the Sif one since I normally go to the hydra zone to beat kill it, may do it since I left my character on firelink after getting the Nitolord sword. I really like Dark Souls 2 life improvements and the added weapons, movesets and stuff, but DS1's world is unbeatable.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Seem to remember Aldia laying down some good stuff about the nature of humanity and souls in DS2. Something about the natural state of man being Hollow. Course, this is coming from a Chaos-Bed lookin' motherfucker, so believe him as much or as little as you want.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
we also saw the natural state of humans in the intro

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bogart posted:

Seem to remember Aldia laying down some good stuff about the nature of humanity and souls in DS2. Something about the natural state of man being Hollow. Course, this is coming from a Chaos-Bed lookin' motherfucker, so believe him as much or as little as you want.

Wait where's Aldia? It' s a keep with a main hall, a dragon, a big basilisk and random cage ppl, right?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

Wait where's Aldia? It' s a keep with a main hall, a dragon, a big basilisk and random cage ppl, right?

That's Aldia's Keep, but Aldia himself makes a few appearances to lecture the player in SotFS.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Zophar posted:

That's Aldia's Keep, but Aldia himself makes a few appearances to lecture the player in SotFS.

Oh the giant tree thing? the DS2 DLC gave me cancer so I must have blanked it out, sorry!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
So, uh, I just killed a dude as a forest invader and got 800k souls for the trouble. :eyepop: I feel like leveling with those is practically cheating.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Just spend it on items or something.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Omnomnomnivore posted:

So, uh, I just killed a dude as a forest invader and got 800k souls for the trouble. :eyepop: I feel like leveling with those is practically cheating.
Don't you get like 10% of the guys next level-up as a reward? Which would put the guy in the SL 700+ range. If so congrats on killing a hacker, there's 0% chance he collected the almost 2 billion souls required to get there legitimately. You can always double-die to drop them if they bother you.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 17, 2015

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
So, I still have: Four Kings, Nito, Seath, Ceaseless, Firesage, Centipede, BoC, Sanctuary, Kalameet, Artorias and Manus before Gwyn.

The Zweihander+10 doesn't seem to be doing enough damage quick enough to be capable of bringing Four Kings down as needed, so I'm going to leave them for now and tackle the other bosses.

Are there any first-run 1H staples I could use my Titanite Slab on to give me a nice side-option to the Zweihander?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

gredgie posted:

So, I still have: Four Kings, Nito, Seath, Ceaseless, Firesage, Centipede, BoC, Sanctuary, Kalameet, Artorias and Manus before Gwyn.

The Zweihander+10 doesn't seem to be doing enough damage quick enough to be capable of bringing Four Kings down as needed, so I'm going to leave them for now and tackle the other bosses.

Are there any first-run 1H staples I could use my Titanite Slab on to give me a nice side-option to the Zweihander?

Are you using STR or Quality? The Claymore makes a nice choice either way if you need something faster, and the Murakumo is king shitwrecker if you've gone 28/40. You should also get your Zwei to +14 at the very least.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

Alabaster White posted:

Are you using STR or Quality? The Claymore makes a nice choice either way if you need something faster, and the Murakumo is king shitwrecker if you've gone 28/40. You should also get your Zwei to +14 at the very least.

My STR/DEX is 27/22 respectively, if that's what you're asking RE: Quality, also yeah, I should get the ol' Zwei upgraded a bit more.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

gredgie posted:

My STR/DEX is 27/22 respectively, if that's what you're asking RE: Quality, also yeah, I should get the ol' Zwei upgraded a bit more.

You are so close to perfect stats. 28 STR/40 DEX gives you perfect scaling on all weaponry (since 28 STR is multiplied into an effective 40 while 2-handing, and it's the perfect breakpoint for some top-notch weapons, namely the Murakumo). A Claymore, Washing Pole, Murakumo, or your Zwei are all great choices. If you have 15 INT you could use Great Magic Weapon cast by an Oolacile Catalyst to really crank your DPS up and shred everything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's kind of sad how there's a bunch of catalysts yet only two or three see any use at all.

Then again, DS2 has the same issue.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Catalyst choice is all about fashion souls. Beatrice's Catalyst or bust.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tallgeese posted:

It's kind of sad how there's a bunch of catalysts yet only two or three see any use at all.

Then again, DS2 has the same issue.

There's not an awful lot you can do with catalysts in Souls games' conception of them, the "moveset" is determined by the spell not the catalyst so it's just bigger number = more gud, not a whole lot of variance for individual taste. DaS2 did something a bit more interesting with cast speed, but all that really changes is that now in addition to bigger number = more gud, higher speed = more gud too. It's an improvement in a sense, but doesn't solve the basic problem: unlike other weapon types some catalysts are just objectively superior and there's not much to be gained by using any others. It is cool to get better magic wands throughout the game and I was disappointed when BB scrapped them, but the system the other games have used just isn't conducive to interesting differences between catalysts.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I kind of wish special catalysts expanded your spell set, like the demon's catalyst or izalyth catalyst would let you use sorcery and pyromancy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not sure if this got posted before, but gently caress if cosplaying Patches isn't funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRswclEJ_Gk

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Guillermus posted:

I'm not sure if this got posted before, but gently caress if cosplaying Patches isn't funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRswclEJ_Gk

That's by our very own Tallgeese, IIRC.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tarezax posted:

That's by our very own Tallgeese, IIRC.

Yes. I've had that video favorited forever. It's hilarious. gently caress CLERICS.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My co-op buddy and I just got past Capra, but he's having SUCH trouble with OP invaders - admittedly it was kind of funny ( Mask of Father, dual caestus) but being 1-shotting people is tiresome as gently caress. I too can soul-dupe to a level 15 pyromancy glove or use Cheat Engine to get Darkwraith covenant at SL1, it's not super funny.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9dKBaN6ZRQ

So cathartic. Thanks tallgeese.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What? No!

That's not me, that's...

...what was his name on here? He had the name Trusty Patches so long that's what I have him as in my head.

I do show up at the end of the first cosplay video wearing Elite Cleric though.

Manslaughter posted:

I kind of wish special catalysts expanded your spell set, like the demon's catalyst or izalyth catalyst would let you use sorcery and pyromancy.

There's honestly so much extra stuff you can do with the weapon system that it is kind of sad they didn't take advantage. My hands in DS1 cast all types of magic. Thus, you can definitely make a weapon that can cast any combination of magic.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't make Tin Darkmoon Catalyst and Velka's Talisman cast both miracles and sorcery while scaling off of different stats, they definitely could have.

They could also have done a version where it scales with both Int and Faith, becoming the most powerful casting implement with sizable dual stat investment. It would not even be difficult, seeing as how I can make such a weapon very easily.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I have a +5 Caestus and it's doing 36 damage per shot. My BKH+3 is doing 400 per shot. Is there any way to make this disparity a little less? I'm going for a quality build in the long run, but this character is mostly a sunbro and having a weapon that can oblierate bosses in three or four hits is a bit poo poo so something flavorful would be useful for PvE.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Southern Heel posted:

So I have a +5 Caestus and it's doing 36 damage per shot. My BKH+3 is doing 400 per shot. Is there any way to make this disparity a little less? I'm going for a quality build in the long run, but this character is mostly a sunbro and having a weapon that can oblierate bosses in three or four hits is a bit poo poo so something flavorful would be useful for PvE.

Absolutely not. Caestus has something like the lowest base damage in the game and the BKH has one of the highest. There's about a zillion weapons in between the two though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

drat, I figured as much! After sodding around with parrying options and the caestus, I realised I could have alot of fun with the Parrying Dagger and Claymore, so that's what I'm doing now:

I never realised how great the Helm of Favor and Armor of the Glorious work together :)

• Locked thread