Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I love this game, and all if the different worlds have distinct themes and motifs, but what the gently caress does shrine of storms mean?? What is the themes of that level?? I don't get it at all

The people who lived there worshiped the flying manta-rays and the storms that accompanied them as gods. Its a shrine to their storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Also you can see the Old Hero chained up on the wall the whole way down, he doesn't just magically appear for the boss fight.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

The people who lived there worshiped the flying manta-rays and the storms that accompanied them as gods. Its a shrine to their storms.

Oh, was it the Manta Rays they worshipped? I sort of assumed that they were part of the demonic force that clearly decimated the Shrine at some point recently.

The Storm God IS a giant ray like that though, but does its weapon suggest that the God is simply a facade made out of the imaginations of the shadowmen and not the "actual" Storm God they may have once served?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I always assumed they worshipped the rays and then the stormbringer sword was created by some disgruntled person/tribe or the people rebelled and the rays wiped them out in the battle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

To clarify, my answer is 100% correct and accurate and there can be no dissenting opinions.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Also you can see the Old Hero chained up on the wall the whole way down, he doesn't just magically appear for the boss fight.

That's just a statue that the Old Hero boss comes out of. Everything weird and magical in the game is a demon made by the Old One, and they take the forms of poo poo people worshipped.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Genocyber posted:

That's just a statue that the Old Hero boss comes out of. Everything weird and magical in the game is a demon made by the Old One, and they take the forms of poo poo people worshipped.

poo poo you're right. Allant, Dragon God, Astraea, Storm King, Old Monk... All ruling or worshipped figures. From a deity that might possibly represent both sides of the coin, so to speak.

Clever, From.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

oldpainless posted:

Yes! I've looked a bit more into the shrine of storms and the lore is pretty funny.

The inhabitants of the shrine worshipped legends of old, and with the soul arts, legends became flesh.

(Someone said that maiden astraea was a legend made flesh, but that is grade A bullshit. She was a human who ventured into the fog, along saint urbain and others. Astraea swallowed a demons soul to save the filth-abortions.)

New people go through the shrine to become heroes and legends, to rule the Storm Beasts (with that amazing badass sword), which the inhabitants worship.

The adjuticator is a big fat demon 'body', with a golden bird on top serving as the 'brain', and if the adjuticator finds a new 'hero' unworthy, (i guess by killing the hero) the golden bird then, along with all of his crow-pals, gnaws on the bones of the hero. This is the cause of all the skeletons in the area. Numerous heroes who tried and failed.

The inhabitants of the shrine of storms are alive within the souls, as a miasma of consciousness, and they enter skeletons at will to gently caress with new aspiring heroes. This maelstrom of souls is probably kept alive by the grim reapers, or black magicians.

The old hero is probably an utimate test of aspiring heroes, now old and blinded and a shadow of it's former self.

Why all this then? To protect the storm beasts! They worship the storm beasts. The shrine of storms is a shrine of Storm Beasts! The Storm Ruler is way too strong to be put into the wrong hands.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I've had this game since forever but have never played it. I've beaten DS1 once, gone through and beaten Dark Souls 2 many times, along with Scholar of the First Sin, so I finally decided to plug my PS3 back in and give this a rousing shot.

So far I love it, having completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. Haven't even started 5 at all yet so I have that to look forward to. Also, gently caress those rolling proto-Bonewheels skeleton assholes in 4-1 :argh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Tamayachi posted:

I've had this game since forever but have never played it. I've beaten DS1 once, gone through and beaten Dark Souls 2 many times, along with Scholar of the First Sin, so I finally decided to plug my PS3 back in and give this a rousing shot.

So far I love it, having completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. Haven't even started 5 at all yet so I have that to look forward to. Also, gently caress those rolling proto-Bonewheels skeleton assholes in 4-1 :argh:

Awesome man. Hope you have fun

On another subject youu fight lots of gigantic enemies in the game has anyone else wondered about how massive their dongs must be?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Yes! I've looked a bit more into the shrine of storms and the lore is pretty funny.

The inhabitants of the shrine worshipped legends of old, and with the soul arts, legends became flesh.

(Someone said that maiden astraea was a legend made flesh, but that is grade A bullshit. She was a human who ventured into the fog, along saint urbain and others. Astraea swallowed a demons soul to save the filth-abortions.)

New people go through the shrine to become heroes and legends, to rule the Storm Beasts (with that amazing badass sword), which the inhabitants worship.

The adjuticator is a big fat demon 'body', with a golden bird on top serving as the 'brain', and if the adjuticator finds a new 'hero' unworthy, (i guess by killing the hero) the golden bird then, along with all of his crow-pals, gnaws on the bones of the hero. This is the cause of all the skeletons in the area. Numerous heroes who tried and failed.

The inhabitants of the shrine of storms are alive within the souls, as a miasma of consciousness, and they enter skeletons at will to gently caress with new aspiring heroes. This maelstrom of souls is probably kept alive by the grim reapers, or black magicians.

The old hero is probably an utimate test of aspiring heroes, now old and blinded and a shadow of it's former self.

Why all this then? To protect the storm beasts! They worship the storm beasts. The shrine of storms is a shrine of Storm Beasts! The Storm Ruler is way too strong to be put into the wrong hands.

The most :black101: thing about this is that the Storm King itself according to the Archstone blurb is "...the embodiment of the thoughts of Shadowmen from hundreds of years ago." Which I figured we see some of in the game as the grim reaper type dudes, or maybe that the souls of the most badass warriors congeal into storm beasts and get to spend eternity cruising around the skies causing storms.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Neo Rasa posted:

The most :black101: thing about this is that the Storm King itself according to the Archstone blurb is "...the embodiment of the thoughts of Shadowmen from hundreds of years ago." Which I figured we see some of in the game as the grim reaper type dudes, or maybe that the souls of the most badass warriors congeal into storm beasts and get to spend eternity cruising around the skies causing storms.

Haha yes. Its great! I love how all the worlds are self contained and work in their own ways. Different versions of soul magic and lust for souls.

Like tower of latria has gargoyles with spiral rapiers to drive maximum pain out of the prisoners without killing them. And as we all know, pain = souls! Souls to power the king.

Which brings me to another point: tower of latria is one big massive slam against the catholic church.

A mad patriarch seeks to gain power from the ivory queen (known for her great knowledge, latria was a kingdom of knowledge until the patriarch came and hosed everything up.)

Prisoners are kept in check with promises of redemption from their sinful ways. (But there is no redemption, and the false idol is just like opium for the masses). Souls powers everything, like human toil powered the church durin the dark ages. Gargoyles are reminiscent of statues on gothic churches.

The big fuckoff arrow thrower is a statue of a priest- or angel-like figure. It looks awesome but opens up to show that all is death, all is war. No salvation exists. All the auffering of the masses exists only to power the tower (heh); just like christianity during it's heydays.

Who is in control?? A mad man with a big loving flowing garb.

Just like the pope. Lol

Spreading false hope of redemption, trying to stifle knowledge with beliefs, breaking down scholars and exchanging enlightenment for worship. Its loving hilariously oppressive too, the darkest place in all of the games. I almost want to thank christianity for enabling the creation of this wonderful level.

Japanese people must think the catholic church is weird as gently caress.

[Edit]: of course the prison is called "the prison of hope".

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 14, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i had to google to find the monumental lol. it took longer than it should have too but i killed that fucker with the red eyes

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

same lol

and while its nice to kill that guy you dont need to yet. he respawns anyway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I didn't have to google it but I get lost for like ten minutes looking for him every time I start a new character

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jose posted:

i had to google to find the monumental lol. it took longer than it should have too but i killed that fucker with the red eyes

Hahahaha somehow every time I go back to DeS I forget all about the monumental, run right past him up to the top floor, and then go "what the gently caress do I do next?!"

And good job, the red eyes knights are DeS version of putting Black Knights in Undead Burg just to gently caress with you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I take it the height of the platform of the archstone determines the difficulty of the level? I tried them all since beating the tower knight where the camera and lock on decide to be really poo poo and valley of defilement is last and also appears to have the weakest enemies at the start.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Jose posted:

I take it the height of the platform of the archstone determines the difficulty of the level? I tried them all since beating the tower knight where the camera and lock on decide to be really poo poo and valley of defilement is last and also appears to have the weakest enemies at the start.

I'd say the second World number determines it more than the height of the Archstone. You can get through X-1 just about any time, I'd say. Some tougher than others. 4-1 is tricky in places.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jose posted:

Not really, its more they're in order. But later stages are harder than earlier ones. Its not exact, but more or less the progression is like:

1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 1-2, 2-2, and so on.

1-2 is pretty easy though.

4 and 5 are definitely the hardest worlds overall.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd say 4-1 is the hardest, followed by 3-1, then 2-1, 5-1, and 1-1

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving poison. No timer bar and I didn't have any items other than a dark moon grass to cure it.

also you realise saying 2-1 is somewhat meaningless to me since idk what 2 is . Could be same platform height or either side lol. The game certainly feels harder than dark souls is early on. Not having estus sucks too considering I'm getting gently caress all in the way of souls from most enemies atm

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 19, 2015

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
Something else to keep in mind about the relative difficulties of the different worlds: enemies are weak to different types of damage. Your weapon might do piddly damage in one area, but destroy enemies in another. Pretty much every type of build has a good starting world; it's just a matter of finding the right one. That or finding the right damage type for the world you're attempting.

Jose posted:

loving poison. No timer bar and I didn't have any items other than a dark moon grass to cure it.

also you realise saying 2-1 is somewhat meaningless to me since idk what 2 is . Could be same platform height or either side lol

The numbers go in order from left to right: Boletaria is 1, Stonefang is 2, Latria is 3, Shrine is 4, and Defilement is 5.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Jose posted:

also you realise saying 2-1 is somewhat meaningless to me since idk what 2 is . Could be same platform height or either side lol. The game certainly feels harder than dark souls is early on

When people number them, they go left to right. So boletaria is 1, valley of defilement is 5

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jose posted:

also you realise saying 2-1 is somewhat meaningless to me since idk what 2 is . Could be same platform height or either side lol. The game certainly feels harder than dark souls is early on. Not having estus sucks too considering I'm getting gently caress all in the way of souls from most enemies atm

the world numbers start from the left and count to the right.

The stage numbers should be obvious.

1-1 is the first stage of the first world. 1-2 is the second stage of the first world. 2-1 is the first stage of the second world.

Its the same scheme Mario used dude :v:

And like all souls games everything seems worse than it is. Like 4-1 is really loving intimidating at first, but once you know the enemies and the layout its not bad at all. Same with 3-1 and 5-1, they both seem really awful and scary but its really not that bad. You say its harder than Dark but you're also more familiar with Dark. If we had asked you when you first started playing Dark you might have a different feeling. You'll be a DeS master soon no worries.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I started using the short sword again and the enemies in 2-1 finally started taking normal damage. Can't say I'm a big fan of massive reduced damage for using the wrong weapon so early into the game or that I have a limited supply of healing items but MP over limited casts is a massive improvement and I'm glad dark souls 3 is going back to it.

I think it only feels harder since I'm on limited healing items and currently enemies are dropping gently caress all in the way of souls

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eventually you will have so many healing items it will be nigh impossible to run out

hell, you can farm half moon grass from that fat dude up the windmill thing at the beginning of 2-1 from what I remember. you can farm 1-1 for a shitload of the basic grass as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

good to know it doesn't have bloodborne's extremely dumb limit then

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nope, and there are a bunch of tiers as well so you can have a truly ludicrous amount of medicine in your pockets

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jose posted:

I started using the short sword again and the enemies in 2-1 finally started taking normal damage. Can't say I'm a big fan of massive reduced damage for using the wrong weapon so early into the game

That's probably why the vast majority of the scaled miners aren't hostile. I like this kind of balancing since it encourages you to experiment with weapons rather than only using one (or using more moves in the case of weapons with multiple damage types).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jose posted:

I started using the short sword again and the enemies in 2-1 finally started taking normal damage. Can't say I'm a big fan of massive reduced damage for using the wrong weapon so early into the game or that I have a limited supply of healing items but MP over limited casts is a massive improvement and I'm glad dark souls 3 is going back to it.

I think it only feels harder since I'm on limited healing items and currently enemies are dropping gently caress all in the way of souls

Yeah early game if you get low just do a lap of 1-1, you'll get a good amount of grass and shouldn't die. Later on you'll have tons of souls and grass.

But I agree that grass is a weaker system than estus by far.

Genocyber posted:

That's probably why the vast majority of the scaled miners aren't hostile. I like this kind of balancing since it encourages you to experiment with weapons rather than only using one (or using more moves in the case of weapons with multiple damage types).

Yeah, its weird it almost feels like each subsequent souls game has less differentiation. DeS had a ton of different upgrade paths with actual good reasons to consider each. Then DS1 kinda dumbed that down. In DS1 magic and enchanted and divine and occult feel extremely similar, with just slightly different number curves. Who cares? In DeS however you choose between an enchantment that does more magic damage or one that does less but regenerates your mana. You choose between more holy damage or holy damage plus life gain. Its a significant choice. In DS2 they just got rid of the funny enchants and simplified things, although the more straightforward upgrade options were kinda nice (You could switch enchantment types at any rank without losing ranks). And then by the time we get to bloodborne there's basically no difference between the stats at all. Hopefully DS3 has a lot more differentiation in builds.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 19, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah early game if you get low just do a lap of 1-1, you'll get a good amount of grass and shouldn't die. Later on you'll have tons of souls and grass.

But I agree that grass is a weaker system than estus by far.

Yeah, its weird it almost feels like each subsequent souls game has less differentiation. DeS had a ton of different upgrade paths with actual good reasons to consider each. Then DS1 kinda dumbed that down. In DS1 magic and enchanted and divine and occult feel extremely similar, with just slightly different number curves. Who cares? In DeS however you choose between an enchantment that does more magic damage or one that does less but regenerates your mana. You choose between more holy damage or holy damage plus life gain. Its a significant choice. In DS2 they just got rid of the funny enchants and simplified things, although the more straightforward upgrade options were kinda nice (You could switch enchantment types at any rank without losing ranks). And then by the time we get to bloodborne there's basically no difference between the stats at all. Hopefully DS3 has a lot more differentiation in builds.

It's kind of disingenuous to say that about Bloodborne when it has Blood Gems to replace upgrade paths.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Except in almost every case you just want physical damage% gems. There's a bunch of effects that can appear on blood gems but almost none of them are worth using instead of physical damage unless, god save you, you're trying to make an arcane build work. In which all you care about is fire damage or bolt damage.

The system is actually comprehensible though, unlike demon's souls'.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah even if you're going arcane you're almost always better off going hybrid arcane and strength instead, unless you really just have to go pure arcane, in which case you're gonna have a bad time until you can scrounge up the right rare gems from chalices and poo poo.

That said I do like me some gems ala diablo.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Except in almost every case you just want physical damage% gems. There's a bunch of effects that can appear on blood gems but almost none of them are worth using instead of physical damage unless, god save you, you're trying to make an arcane build work. In which all you care about is fire damage or bolt damage.

The system is actually comprehensible though, unlike demon's souls'.

Most weapons in Demon's Souls have equally limited "good" upgrade options. You're likely to make a moon, sharp or crescent uchigatana (or their holy equivalents I guess, but you rarely see that). These distinctions essentially exist in Bloodborne too; phys/arcane/less damage but some tertiary property.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Read posted:

Most weapons in Demon's Souls have equally limited "good" upgrade options. You're likely to make a moon, sharp or crescent uchigatana (or their holy equivalents I guess, but you rarely see that). These distinctions essentially exist in Bloodborne too; phys/arcane/less damage but some tertiary property.

Yeah I have to agree here. The earlier games certainly had more illusion of choice and differentiation, but it practice it wasn't really there.

I mean, yes, I suppose, you can use raw stone or spiderstone or whatever, but even a casual player will figure out pretty quick that's not as useful as just getting another +1 on the end of your claymore's name.

The only thing I can really hold against BB as far as choice is that it really limits my wanting to replay the game just to try some dumb Simon Belmont/Muhammad Ali/whatever bullshit playthrough because the option exists.

edit: haha and yeah, the Demon's Souls upgrade system is the most obtuse and bizarre part of an obtuse and bizarre game. Without spending a million hours noodling at it, I don't know how any one player would possibly figure out the system without a wiki or something. Then again, the fact that straight upgrading is usually the best option means that's what most people probably did, which turned out to be just fine.

In hindsight with like 8 years or whatever of playing Demon's Souls, a lot of us look back on it fondly, but it had a LOT of straight up weird poo poo in it. Want to turn that Hard Demon's Soul into something? Well you better get you a +6 Club or maybe a +3 magic stick or perhaps a +9 katana because really, I have no idea!

edit 2: the OTHER thing I can say definitively that I feel is better about newer titles is how armor is treated. In DeS it did so little that you may as well just strip naked and put on that cowboy hat. Dark started ratcheting up the defensive capabilities, and then in Dark Souls 2, damage mitigation was such a thing you could more or less make a big, fat, tanky fucker and not have to worry too much about your fat roll.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 20, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the numbers were just way off in DeSo. The heaviest armor weighed like Havel's but didn't even have double the defense of the lightest armor set and was basically on par with unupgraded midweight armor in the later games.

DaSo1 was the armorest game ever on release. Grab your Stone set, cast Iron Flesh and facetank everything forever without even flinching. Not to mention shield drops in burg and parish being better than most great shields so the rare thing you can't just take on the chin barely moves your stamina meter when you block it, from 10 minutes into the game. Upgrade to Havel's when you get the chance and nothing can really touch you. All that has long since been nerfed but it was just silly at first.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, the numbers were just way off in DeSo. The heaviest armor weighed like Havel's but didn't even have double the defense of the lightest armor set and was basically on par with unupgraded midweight armor in the later games.

DaSo1 was the armorest game ever on release. Grab your Stone set, cast Iron Flesh and facetank everything forever without even flinching. Not to mention shield drops in burg and parish being better than most great shields so the rare thing you can't just take on the chin barely moves your stamina meter when you block it, from 10 minutes into the game. Upgrade to Havel's when you get the chance and nothing can really touch you. All that has long since been nerfed but it was just silly at first.

Haha I forgot about DaS being that way at launch.

Hell, 2 gives you the drangleic shield in... what like the second area of forest of fallen giants? Hey-ho 100% phys block, gently caress you enemy!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but 2 nerfed the hell out of stability so you actually have to put your shield down every now and then.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the blacksmith in the nexus sells the heater shield so its not like you play demon souls much before having a 100% phys blocking shield.

its also really noticeable just how much this game influenced blood borne

Edit: there was something across a collapsing bridge i had to sprint over in stonefang tunnel. I couldnt' pick it up due to equipment burden and its not there after I deposited some stuff to go back. What was it?

I'm lost in the tower of latria. I've come across the cross bow firing machine but not sure where to go now since I've not seen any other keys so the second floor is still locked away. Did they remove the ability to climb small things from other souls games or did I just never notice?

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there a shortcut in 4-1? I can get to the boss but its a bit of a pain and i keep dying really stupidly against the boss

• Locked thread