Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Red Lentil and Chorizo soup! My first soup ever that wasn't terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

fried chicken

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

paraquat posted:

Roasted kabocha squash filled with chili (aka ground beef stew with beans and tomatoes),
topped with shredded cheese and spring onions

Am I a terrible person if I imagine the squash as a pie crust?

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014
Every day at work, we make doughnuts from scratch.

Raspberry jam filled, sugared yeast donuts, and cinnamon sugared yeast rings.

We don't mess around with our doughnuts.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

A couple nights ago I made home made pizza but decided to try using basil pesto as the sauce with pasta and olives as the topping

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Polish pierogies filled with cottage cheese, potatoes and onions. Delicious for something made with so simple ingredients. Best thing is I still have a big bag left in the freezer :getin:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

paraquat posted:

Roasted kabocha squash filled with chili (aka ground beef stew with beans and tomatoes),
topped with shredded cheese and spring onions

That looks really good, and I love the idea of using a half of a roasted squash as a bowl to fill with other toppings. This (or something like it) just went on my to-do list.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Force de Fappe posted:

Polish pierogies filled with cottage cheese, potatoes and onions. Delicious for something made with so simple ingredients. Best thing is I still have a big bag left in the freezer :getin:

I don't know what those things are but they look delicious.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

iajanus posted:

I don't know what those things are but they look delicious.

Google them, they're awesome
and I should make a big batch of them again, thanks for the reminder FdF
after cooking them, I love to bake them with a bit of bacon. Will be doing the onion thing as well next time though

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

paraquat posted:

Google them, they're awesome
and I should make a big batch of them again, thanks for the reminder FdF
after cooking them, I love to bake them with a bit of bacon. Will be doing the onion thing as well next time though

My favorite way to prepare a pierogi is to boil them through to warm the filling and cook the dough, then crisp up the bottom in a skillet with a bunch of butter. Top with sour cream and lots of fresh ground black pepper, and...:yum:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Midniter posted:

My favorite way to prepare a pierogi is to boil them through to warm the filling and cook the dough, then crisp up the bottom in a skillet with a bunch of butter. Top with sour cream and lots of fresh ground black pepper, and...:yum:

Takes me back to this place in Green Point, Królewskíe Jadło. They had the best pierogi. Done like that with some golden onions on the side. I'm drooling right now even though I just finished lunch.

Made crusted pr0k tenderloin the other night, along with some mashed best sweet potatoes I've ever had (idk wtf this farm is doing to their taters but those fuckers were amazeballs), and yes we eat a lot of peas.

pr0k tenderloin with herb/garlic/dry mustard crust

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mmmm, love a crusty tenderloin!

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude
I made a "carbonara" pizza.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
First try at what will hopefully be a go-to dinner party dish, made it for the better half as she's been away for a few days:

Braised beef short rib (braised with stock, shiitake, pepper, star anise, ginger and shallot), pak choi, grilled mushroom, XO sauce to top, braising liquid strained, reduced, more XO added, and thickened to form the main sauce.

Still a bit of work to do to perfect it and work on a better presentation, but it's something I'm happy with as a first shot. I also keep wanting to eat XO out of the jar now, goddamn.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Finding ways to use dry or otherwise leftover turkey.

Arugula salad with cashews toasted in sesame oil, tossed with the same oil and lime juice, carrot and cucumber slices.

Previously oven roasted turkey breast was sliced and quickly pan fried in butter and sesame oil. A small amount of turkey stock was added and reduced along with oyster sauce and sriracha to make a pan sauce over the turkey slices. Came out really tasty and was a quick preparation. Good way to use some leftover turkey breast that's getting dry.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Took my first stab at fresh pretzels this morning. Here's the best one, covered in butter and coarse sea salt (only coarse salt I had at hand):

I would have liked a little more browning and a more pretzel like shape -- we didn't do the wrap-around because we didn't feel the dough allowed for it. It didn't make all that much dough -- this was the King Arthur recipe out of the Baker's Companion, and the pretzels were rather small when divided into 8 pieces as described. We ended up making 4 that size -- that's one of them -- and two larger ones by recombining two of the remaining ones per. I don't see how I could possibly have rolled this amount of dough into 28" ropes. If I could have it would certainly have been easier to get the proper shape.

For all that, though, they were very tasty. I'm pleased with the texture and flavor.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The Midniter posted:

You can also cook them in a pan with some oil or butter then once they've browned throw some water in the pan and put the lid on to let them steam until cooked through.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I made this turkey wellington as part of my NICSA challenge entry. Two days of on-and-off work tastes mighty good.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I made dumplings :)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Why are dumplings so good? Why are they so satisfying to eat? Why is it that a plateful of dumplings of even the simplest manufacture can thaw your frozen soul?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Apologies for lovely phone pic, I made a sorta Thai beef salad adapted from here:

http://nadialim.com/recipe/thai-beef-salad-roast-pumpkin-kaffir-lime-peanuts/

I substituted butternut squash for pumpkin and it ruled.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Frito pie (there's more Fritos underneath) with red onion, cheddar and guacamole salsa.

(Miami) Cuban Sandwich, made with mojo pork. It's a Miami Cuban because it's lacking salami, which is common in the Tampa (Ybor) Cuban.

Tomato and white bean soup. This was fun because you char whole tomatoes on the stove before you break them down into soup.

Finally, chicken and peanut sauce stir fry. Originally this was meant to be pad Thai but :effort:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Makin some salted caramel

Cut into strips then into bits and wrapped in wax paper for a work meeting.

They were just a bit too sticky / gummy though, added a bit too much cream I guess? So, I did what any responsible goon would do

and repurposed the remaining caramel into chocolate caramel pecan brownies.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cross postin from cake thread oh yeah

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate and chocolate cake.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
^^^ The Hershey's recipe is my go-to when making chocolate cake. Looks really good!

I found a recipe saved in my docs that I'd titled "Goon Choc Chip Cookies" (and because I'm a jerk I didn't note which goon).

Anyway, I think this is my new favorite recipe (replacing the 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook version). Thanks, goon, whichever one you are.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Smoked turkey and pork shoulder so will have at least one thing to be thankful for tomorrow.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

cocoavalley posted:

^^^ The Hershey's recipe is my go-to when making chocolate cake. Looks really good!

I found a recipe saved in my docs that I'd titled "Goon Choc Chip Cookies" (and because I'm a jerk I didn't note which goon).

Anyway, I think this is my new favorite recipe (replacing the 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook version). Thanks, goon, whichever one you are.

Is it the recipe with ground oats in it? that's me if it is

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Gotta poast the oats man why isn't this recipe not posted yet drat

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

VelociBacon posted:

Gotta poast the oats man why isn't this recipe not posted yet drat

It's in the archives http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1866745

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It's not, but I do love to use rolled oats as an add-in (have not tried that with this recipe yet as I wanted to try it unaltered first). Is your recipe similar to the so-called $250 recipe? I've made that one before and it's pretty good too, though iirc yields crispier cookies than this recipe.

These ones I just made stay soft/chewy, are uniformly level (rather than mounded in the center) and the tops have cracks. Might as well post the recipe (some notes are mine):

a goon posted:

1-1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
big splash of vanilla (2 tsp?)
splash of milk (1-2 tsp?)
1-1/2 sticks of butter
tsp of salt
tsp of baking soda
2 egg yolks
2 to 2-1/2 cups of flour
bag of (1.5-2 cups?) Ghirardelli 60^ cacao big chips/chunks.
pecans or walnuts if you want

350(F) until the tops start splitting, don't let the bottoms brown too much.

(big oxo scoop needed about 15-17 minutes. Regular size would probably need 8-10.)

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

(Miami) Cuban Sandwich, made with mojo pork. It's a Miami Cuban because it's lacking salami, which is common in the Tampa (Ybor) Cuban.

Huh, I lived in Miami for a long time and never knew about Tampa ones. Looks real good!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Happy thanksgiving, goon chefs!

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Catnipped posted:

Huh, I lived in Miami for a long time and never knew about Tampa ones. Looks real good!

Thanks, NPR did a surprisingly good write up.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Only a few snaps from tonight -- the day of prep was pretty leisurely, but I timed everything that needed to be hot to get done right at dinnertime and my parents showed up early while I was juggling three dishes. I don't give a poo poo about Thanksgiving, and I don't care about Thanksgiving food, but I hosted my family for dinner with an alternate menu.

Salad - nothing special, but escarole and romaine for the greens and a nice Italian dressing.
Dinner rolls

Pot roast with carrots and onions
Green beans with garlic and butter
Hasselback potatoes

Chocolate mousse
Apple pie (provided by my fianceé's parents, who came for dessert)
Vanilla ice cream

All made from scratch except the ice cream :) Here's photos:

Table, early in the day:

[/img]

Rolls:

Chocolate mousse - garnish is shaved chocolate and mint

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oooh, I love a good mousse. Lovely stuff.

Our little thanksgiving dinner, since we did all our festivities at other times. Chicken, cranberry sauce, roasted butternut squash.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Just myself and the girlfriend last night so we did a porchetta roast in the cast-iron. It was a bone-in shoulder so we just poked holes in it and stuffed the herbs in rather than trying to do the whole roll-up thing. Served it with ratatouille and bread. It was delicious.

For dessert: home-made chai ice cream. We don't have an ice-cream maker so the consistency was kinda hard to get right. It ended up being more like a frosted malt but was still really yummy.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Thanksgiving day was just me and wife and small child.

Confit Duck Leg, Pan Seared Duck Breast, Oven Roast Sprouts, Parsnip & Star Anise Puree with a Pomegranate, Red Wine, Ginger Sauce.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

oh ho ho my

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Did the turkey porchetta thing and the legs confit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003

First time hosting thanksgiving at our house. A lot of work but fun.

• Locked thread