Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

<~ lol man that's too bad suspect bucket someone could've donated to your favorite hoarder haven instead of giving lowtax $10.

I didn't buy it, swearsies. Tenbux gets a bag of goat mineral. And honestly, Fluffy Bunnies has been meaner to people, I've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
A mod could've done it for free, you never know. Anyway, please post more sheeps and/or goats tyia

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Anoia posted:

A mod could've done it for free, you never know. Anyway, please post more sheeps and/or goats tyia

We generally don't give out shaming avatars, since we try to remain neutral parties :)

e: I do not have individual pictures of sheep or goats but I can offer you this tumblr full of goats in hats http://goatswearinghats.tumblr.com/

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 15, 2015

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Goats and Sheep are awesome! Even better with hats on! Thank you for that link! :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I basically fuckin love sheep at this point and I thought I'd hate them and I keep trying to hate them but man, I just don't. I love sheep. Even when they run me over in the herding pen. I keep Ires back and pat the sheep and go "we're cool buddy, I know you're just freaked out".

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

e: I do not have individual pictures of sheep or goats but I can offer you this tumblr full of goats in hats http://goatswearinghats.tumblr.com/
I read that as "goat swearing hats", as in hats made for goats with swears on them. I can't say I'm disappointed.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I don't understand why you need a dock. You're a 'farm' that has goats and pigs and w/e. Kids would be fine with that. Also why do you have piglets? You're a 'rescue' place too, you should be getting the pigs better and then finding them a new home. 'Rescue' does not mean 'keep all the animals forever'. A rescue rescue animals from lovely situations, gets them help, then gets them a new home. Your boss is hording these animals and convincing you that there's no other way of doing this, when you're doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing. You throwing a bitch baby tantrum over the fact that people are calling you out on your lovely place isn't helping. Now I'm not saying this poo poo is your fault, I doubt you have much in the way of control in the place. But defending your horrible boss because you have animal stockholm syndrome is bullshit and you need to either shut the gently caress up or admit the truth.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

More goat tumblrs. This doesn't beat goats with hats, but I like it.

http://www.babygoatsandfriends.com/

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

HogX posted:

I don't understand why you need a dock. You're a 'farm' that has goats and pigs and w/e. Kids would be fine with that. Also why do you have piglets? You're a 'rescue' place too, you should be getting the pigs better and then finding them a new home. 'Rescue' does not mean 'keep all the animals forever'. A rescue rescue animals from lovely situations, gets them help, then gets them a new home. Your boss is hording these animals and convincing you that there's no other way of doing this, when you're doing the exact opposite of what you should be doing. You throwing a bitch baby tantrum over the fact that people are calling you out on your lovely place isn't helping. Now I'm not saying this poo poo is your fault, I doubt you have much in the way of control in the place. But defending your horrible boss because you have animal stockholm syndrome is bullshit and you need to either shut the gently caress up or admit the truth.

There's a point in which you have to decide if you're keeping the animal alive because you want to feel good about "saving" an innocent creature, or actually doing what's best for the animal. Also, I usually stay away from forum drama, but I've never heard of any animal rescue/sanctuary that would let their rescued animals breed. If anything, legit rescues promote and encourage spay and neutering the animals before being adopted. If the farm owner/manager is keeping and breeding animals as a business, then just be honest up front and you won't get so much poo poo from everybody.

Also, I can't imagine how you guys think the poor pony is ok with feet like that. If you guys can't get a ferrier to check them more often, pass them to another rescue or euthanize them, the animal's well being is more important than your or your employer/ supervisor's feelings :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There was something earlier in this thread brought to my attention about a farrier every three months. 6 weeks is the maximum a farrier should be spaced apart except for some seriously easy keepers, and then 8 weeks. I'd have one out there every single loving month with the poo poo I've seen in those videos and with marshy rear end ground that doesn't wear down hooves at all.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just hope Bucket isn't taking this too personally. She's obviously got an interest in doing what's best for the animals, but there's only so much she can control as an employee/volunteer. She's made plans to separate animals and prevent additional breeding, so that's a step in the right direction.

I think this rescue farm is maybe prioritizing camp stuff over farm stuff? Which is messed up, but hopefully more can steadily be done to correct the mistaken priorities.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've said several times now that I don't blame Suspect Bucket for the condition of this place. But man, it is in poo poo shape. I looked all the way through their facebook page. That donkey and miniature horse have been there since June, 2012. If they were going to fix those feet, they would have literally years ago. I will provide links and screenshots if need be, but this is just sad. Please go work elsewhere, Suspect Bucket. Good volunteers are hard to come by. This place doesn't deserve you or the hard work that you enjoy doing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've said several times now that I don't blame Suspect Bucket for the condition of this place.

Yeah, I don't mean to single you out. Other posts seem more blamey of Bucket, whether or not the posters intend things to be read that way. v:shobon:v

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

my cat is norris posted:

I just hope Bucket isn't taking this too personally.

Speaking as someone who worked for a lovely rescue, it can suck you in. You get very attached to the animals. The place I was at was loving AWFUL to me and I still stuck around until they put me in physical danger because of the responsibility I felt I had to my hairy buddies. It took them showing me that they could be sketchy assholes even with me being around to be 'responsible' to leave. I can't imagine how many more excuses I would have made for the place of the people had actually been nice to me.

Suspect, I'd look at other rescues in the area and compare what you guys are doing to what they are doing re animal care and facilities. It could give you some great ideas to implement, as well as giving you a baseline for what your goals should be.

And (I am not saying your rescue is lovely, this is just a big IF) if you don't like the way things at your place are progressing it's ok to throw up your hands and go 'later fuckers'. You personally can only be responsible for so much. Again, only saying this because I have volunteered for a hosed up rescue and it felt pretty rough to bail.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've said several times now that I don't blame Suspect Bucket for the condition of this place. But man, it is in poo poo shape. I looked all the way through their facebook page. That donkey and miniature horse have been there since June, 2012. If they were going to fix those feet, they would have literally years ago. I will provide links and screenshots if need be, but this is just sad. Please go work elsewhere, Suspect Bucket. Good volunteers are hard to come by. This place doesn't deserve you or the hard work that you enjoy doing.

Please don't post the Facebook page, I know you and Suspect posted some links earlier and that's okay but I don't want this to turn into some full-on goonrush doxxing debacle (not pointing at you personally, but you know how goons can get). I also know you and other posters are trying to help the animals and Suspect alike but for this thread's sake let's end the derail, please. You guys can take it to PMs and the thread can get back to cute happy animals.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Please don't post the Facebook page, I know you and Suspect posted some links earlier and that's okay but I don't want this to turn into some full-on goonrush doxxing debacle (not pointing at you personally, but you know how goons can get). I also know you and other posters are trying to help the animals and Suspect alike but for this thread's sake let's end the derail, please. You guys can take it to PMs and the thread can get back to cute happy animals.

Like, should I make a thread specifically dedicated to it instead? She's got Several Edited Posts where she posted the crowd fund site and then deleted it in this thread alone, birbmod. I don't figure anybody donated, but you never know.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Like, should I make a thread specifically dedicated to it instead? She's got Several Edited Posts where she posted the crowd fund site and then deleted it in this thread alone, birbmod. I don't figure anybody donated, but you never know.

I already spoke to her about the crowdfund. Frankly I agree with the concerns raised in this thread but I don't want to set a precedent for either callout threads or relinking of personal or private information. She seems like a smart, reasonable person, so I think any further discussion could be conducted in private.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
w...well...hi. hey. hi thread. one of my fuckpigs had 9 fuckpig babies this morning. let's view the fuckpigs.

they were sired by a registered boar but their mom is a potbelly/kune mix so these are all people and dog food. god bless us.

fake edit: but yeah suspect bucket come on man the "rescue" you work for has been breeding a CL positive goat to whatever the gently caress and i remeber seeing it and going "O_______O" because wehat the gently caress just no dude, pls sever, u seem like you really care and this "rescue" is gross

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

oshit sorry birdmod, i didnt see where u said to pls take further discussion to private. pls ignore my rescue discussion and just look at fuckpigs.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

The orange one better loving be called pumpkin patch, Super. I swear to god.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Status: viewing fuckpigs. Fuckpig viewing complete. Beep boop. Fluffy Bunnies Bot shutting down.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

HogX posted:

The orange one better loving be called pumpkin patch, Super. I swear to god.

I fkkn said he was on FB idiot learn to fkkn read

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I hope their little spotty selves become completely delicious pork products for you.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

How many kunekunes are giving birth to future bacons itt!!

Super adorable little things! I want one. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Those are some fine spotty bacons :3: Everyone knows spotanimals are the bestanimals.

I took some pictures for you all because that's what this thread is really about, although I don't want anyone to feel like they can't bring up concerns in a polite way. You guys were all very good about not devolving into personal attacks and I appreciate that everyone here just cares about animals.

Heafs! All my dark goats have some vitiligo around their mouths. My water is very high in iron so I'm thinking about giving them some extra copper to see if that helps it. It's not a rash or anything, just some pigment loss.

Rex, the stinkiest unicorn.

Angela who is looking really good for an eight year old goat who just weaned a big kid. All of my animals are a little skinny right now because of the dry summer but I'm feeding them all to gain a bit and in the next couple weeks I'm having my orchard fenced in so they'll all be fat and sassy before winter comes.

Pearl girl. She and her sister Opal are still serious trouble all the time. They're like rats, they can get through any hole their head can fit through.

It wasn't great timing but I'm so glad we got this dude. He's super friendly and cute and just awesome.

Valkyrie is less impressed. You can really see the difference in how feminine her face is compared to the big boy's.

Flapjack looking majestic. I had to rearrange pastures so the boys weren't right next to the girls because they spent every waking moment pacing the fenceline instead of eating. Sorry flipflap, no girls for you.

Goliath was working on his stealth, which is not easy when you're a freaking giant ram.

And last but not least, Gentle Ben, who was feeling shy and not wanting to come over for cuddles. Maybe he just couldn't see me at all through the poof.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: I like sneaky Goliath a lot.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

:toot: Always love pictures! I like how Heath is trying (and failing) to look like he's not a total dumbass. Pearl is dainty as seemingly always, and Goliath is just having trouble figuring out how devilsaurs used to sneak up on vanilla WoW players. He'll get it eventually.

It could just be the lighting but the new boy looks very handsome, what a great pick.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Goliath is still a woolly brick :allears:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
It must be a sad day when the boys go from cute little cuddle monsters to giant piss monsters.

I mean I'm sure some remain cuddly but are still giant and covered in piss.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Anoia posted:

It must be a sad day when the boys go from cute little cuddle monsters to giant piss monsters.

I mean I'm sure some remain cuddly but are still giant and covered in piss.

The boys all love their cuddles. The girls have their own stuff going on but most of the boys line up for hugs time.

Luckily the sheep don't piss on themselves like the goats do. They still are sort of musky and extra sheep smelling during the rut but none of them are totally piss encrusted like Heath and Rex are. Goats are just super gross animals.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Haji posted:

I once had a backseat full of guinea fowl and chickens. I was stuck on I-5 in Seattle at the time too. One of the chickens laid an egg while I was in terrible rush hour traffic. 4 guinea fowl, 2 chickens and 1 rooster. The rooster was the one sitting on the egg when I finally got home and released them from their carriers into their new coup.

Some what off-topic but.

Sitting in a traffic jam on the PA turnpike (garbage truck had to get towed). There was 2 ducks in that cage - they kept running around in circles chasing each other. Spent part of the jam grinning like an idiot.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Well no need to worry if young Isadore could figure things out with the ladies. Within 24 hours of being put in with his girls 3 of them had been marked. So look forward to a bunch of spotty lambs around March 10th. Usually ewes are a little freaked out and avoid the ram for a day or two but I guess Izzy has the right moves.

Spud and Bialy also have some girls but haven't been quite as lucky. Don't worry boys, you'll have your turn too.

In other news we had snow on Saturday! I learned long ago to always have a halloween costume that can fit a winter coat under or over top of it but this is a little early even for NE OH. Thank goodness I have a barn full of hay and clean pens.

Edit:
oh and Goliath the wooly brick weighs in at 167 lbs making him officially the biggest sheep on the farm.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 19, 2015

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Got any updates?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sheep are all bred now, goats are in with their boys. Lambs should start mid-March and goat kids should start mid-April. I'll post the exact dates next time I check them. There should also be some baby bunnies coming up around Thanksgiving.

I got the apple orchard in the back of the farm fenced in and all the creatures are very happy for the new pasture, especially Major.

It snowed last night and actually stuck for a while so Twofer took the opportunity to look majestic.

Valkyrie the romeldale just looked fluffy.

Of course no one out majestics the dog.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Valkyrie the romeldale just looked fluffy.

I've never wanted to hug a sheep more than I have at this moment

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Tendai posted:

I've never wanted to hug a sheep more than I have at this moment

Same but with

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It snowed last night and actually stuck for a while so Twofer took the opportunity to look majestic.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Two looks scary but is very much a fan of hugs :kimchi:

If you spend any amount of time in the boys' pasture you have to hug at least one of them. They all line up and wait for it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love how sheep that are all fluffy-looking look like they have tiny little stick legs :3: Twofer has these dainty little legs and then GIANT HORNS and that fuzzy torso.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love sheep. One of my friends has a sheep that loves me and every time I go over she stands outside and bleats at the door until I go play with her. So fluffy :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm not sure Twofer could ever not look majestic.

Also that is a wonderful picture of Major looking goofy. :3:

• Locked thread