Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Ahh sorry, I didn't realize the 02 was that different. That sucks! They ruined a perfectly good thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DuckConference posted:

A decent article on how the mobile SoC is becoming the focus of the industry over the high-performance CPU: https://medium.com/@magicsilicon/how-the-soc-is-displacing-the-cpu-49bc7503edab

Given Intels delays on the 14nm node and them pushing out their 10nm node, I wonder if samsung or tsmc will beat intel to shipping 10nm node chips in volume.
Might be just cause I'm reading this late at night, but that article seems really...weird, like it almost seems to treat SoCs and CPUs as separate and exclusive or something. And just kinda mentions in passing some of the bigger details, particularly ARM licensing, which gave all those SoC designs a common architecture for use in all those mobile devices to begin with. There's just a lot of bewildering stuff. But anyway...

Mr Chips posted:

If Intel's delays are technical, and not commercial, then surely the people who are 12-24 months behind them technically are going to have an even tougher time catching up.
Yeah I don't see how it really affects that, or at least that article didn't seem to argue it well (outside of essentially "CPUs are hard, SoCs are easier"). I get that there's a lot of money/effort going into mobile these days, but it's not like Intel has just been doing nothing about it either.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

s.i.r.e. posted:

The RVZ01 can definitely do a closed-loop set-up but I can't image how it'd be possible in the 02, there's literally no room to route the pipes or even a spot to mount a radiator and fan.

I'll give this a shot. edit: Didn't work, the screws aren't long enough to mount the other way and the addition screws the heatsink came with are too long. The way the fan comes mounted the screw holes are recessed in the plastic so when you flip it over it doesn't go all the way through.

Hmmm, do you have the window or non-window version of the RVZ01? The non-window version has significantly more clearance for the CPU cooler so you should be able to fit something better than the Noctua in there.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jesus that's embarrassing so much for trusting my friends; welp, so now the new issue is what's a better cooler for my rig since my case will only accept a low profile? Or should I just say gently caress it and build in a case that accepts a large profile heatsink?

I use a NH-L12 and it never has any trouble keeping either a 4670 or 2500K cool in a somewhat confined almost silent case. It looks like the NH-L9i is way smaller, but I'm still surprised it's working that badly, Noctua usually makes top quality stuff. In my main desktop system I was long confined to 92mm tower coolers and when I went to a case that allows 120mm coolers the difference was huge, it's not just that there's at least 70% more surface area, all the new flagship products are 120mm (or bigger) so that's where you have the best chance of finding a good design.

e: Here is SPCR finding the NH-L9i completely sufficient for a 95W TDP chip disclaimer: personally I love Noctua heatsinks for being so quiet.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 23, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Aquila posted:

I'm still surprised it's working that badly, Noctua usually makes top quality stuff.

e: Here is SPCR finding the NH-L9i completely sufficient for a 95W TDP chip disclaimer: personally I love Noctua heatsinks for being so quiet.

Noctua specifically says it is not for 88w tdp cpus, 84w cpus only if turbo is disabled. Their test bench appears to be open air as well which isn't a very good comparison.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Aquila posted:

I use a NH-L12 and it never has any trouble keeping either a 4670 or 2500K cool in a somewhat confined almost silent case. It looks like the NH-L9i is way smaller, but I'm still surprised it's working that badly, Noctua usually makes top quality stuff. In my main desktop system I was long confined to 92mm tower coolers and when I went to a case that allows 120mm coolers the difference was huge, it's not just that there's at least 70% more surface area, all the new flagship products are 120mm (or bigger) so that's where you have the best chance of finding a good design.

Yea, all the reviews I've read stated it should be fine. You could try putting a different fan on, as it comes with longer screws according to tom's hardware review and see if that helps. You could also try turning the heat sink, you might be having clearance issues preventing solid contact with the chip.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

DuckConference posted:

Given Intels delays on the 14nm node and them pushing out their 10nm node, I wonder if samsung or tsmc will beat intel to shipping 10nm node chips in volume.

One note of caution: Because of the way transistor design has changed in the last few years, the published "xy nm" do not really have much meaning anymore, especially when comparing between vendors. It's sort of this generation's version of "my CPU is X GHz, so that means it's X good".

Their fab lead is shrinking, though. In just about anything technology related, catching up is way easier than leading.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Reading all this made me look up the recommended TDP for my NH-D14S and they state 95w and some overclocking. Of course I have an 84w CPU that will hit over 100w with all four cores at 4.2 GHz. I guess that explains why it still gets warm-ish (65-70C) under extended high loads. Maybe I will get a second fan for it then.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Unless you just want to see a lower number or want more noise, 70c is nothing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Durinia posted:

One note of caution: Because of the way transistor design has changed in the last few years, the published "xy nm" do not really have much meaning anymore, especially when comparing between vendors. It's sort of this generation's version of "my CPU is X GHz, so that means it's X good".

Their fab lead is shrinking, though. In just about anything technology related, catching up is way easier than leading.
Do you know of a good read/explanation on that stuff? Something along the lines of Anandtech I guess, technical enough that it wouldn't be covered by the usual tech news sites, but not to the point of being over the head of a normal nerd. I've seen it mentioned in passing like "so and so's x nm process is superior" or slightly more like "another part is y nm" (where y>x) but not much beyond that.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

japtor posted:

Do you know of a good read/explanation on that stuff? Something along the lines of Anandtech I guess, technical enough that it wouldn't be covered by the usual tech news sites, but not to the point of being over the head of a normal nerd. I've seen it mentioned in passing like "so and so's x nm process is superior" or slightly more like "another part is y nm" (where y>x) but not much beyond that.

I don't have anything specific, no. Sadly, the details are often hard for me to grok, and I've taken graduate VLSI courses. :smithicide:

One thing to look at is that, even within a node, there are "application optimized" versions of each, targeted at different design points. As an example:

http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/28nm.htm

The chart at the bottom shows the potential variants of TSMC's 28nm process, all with different electrical characteristics.

EDIT: Looks like Intel gave an interesting presentation on process scaling to their investors recently:
http://intelstudios.edgesuite.net/im/2015/pdf/2015_InvestorMeeting_Bill_Holt_WEB2.pdf

Durinia fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 23, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Unless you just want to see a lower number or want more noise, 70c is nothing.

Lower temps are not bad things. Thermal noise and all that :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, do you have the window or non-window version of the RVZ01? The non-window version has significantly more clearance for the CPU cooler so you should be able to fit something better than the Noctua in there.

I have the non-windowed RVZ02, not the 01, but there really isn't much in the way of clearance. I could throw on a bigger fan onto the heatsink but a larger heatsink+fan is going to be tricky to fit in there.

Aquila posted:

It looks like the NH-L9i is way smaller, but I'm still surprised it's working that badly, Noctua usually makes top quality stuff.

Which is why I went there, I always hear praise for Noctua but that was their only option for my case, though maybe the NH-L12 you mentioned would fit. I'll have to look into it.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Krailor posted:

Intel's primary customer base (datacenters buying Xeons by the thousands) have indicated that they're much more interested in performance-per-watt rather than just raw performance. So that's where Intel has been focusing their research over the past several years and they've made huge gains in that department.

I've physically placed ~3000 e5 2680v3's in boards in the past 5 months. Can confirm.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I have the non-windowed RVZ02, not the 01, but there really isn't much in the way of clearance. I could throw on a bigger fan onto the heatsink but a larger heatsink+fan is going to be tricky to fit in there.

I checked pretty throughly before posting, the acrylic window on the window version is very thick and cuts down the clearance by a fair amount. I found one RVZ02 owner who fit a 60mm tall cooler in with a little clearance to spare. That means that coolers like the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B, Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet and Thermalright AXP-100 will all fit and all of these have much better cooling performance than the Noctua you are currently using. From looking up reviews I know both the Zalman and Thermalright coolers to be extremely quiet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JawnV6 posted:

It's less cleverness than you'd think. A gig of L1 would be SSD's all over again.

I thought that more cache = bigger die = way more expensive?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, cache takes up most of the die area on modern desktop CPU cores and I'd imagine a good chunk of the power as well. I don't think they were saying that a gig of cache is technically feasible just that it would be a straightforward (in theory) way to increase single-threaded performance.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

canyoneer posted:

In the context of what I was replying to that poster posited that a breakthrough in process tech would be necessary to improve that number, something outside of the expected cadence of those discoveries, something exceedingly clever that re-wrote some of the old rules.

I was contradicting the 'cleverness' part of it by showing an alternative architectural solution that would greatly increase UX while maintaining the same process. I didn't bother to go into exactly how that would be cost effective as it was very far outside of the scope of that discussion.

If you simply took the existing methods of making a L1 cache and said "DO A GIG INSTEAD" then it would be prohibitively more expensive. If you understood it to be an architectural re-work and looked at the state of the art for fast, wide IO accesses you'd probably arrive at a POP TSV solution that offered a Very Large amount of memory at a point closer to the compute engine, with your main problem being cooling the stupid thing, that could probably outpace an old-arch design that's a node ahead.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I checked pretty throughly before posting, the acrylic window on the window version is very thick and cuts down the clearance by a fair amount. I found one RVZ02 owner who fit a 60mm tall cooler in with a little clearance to spare. That means that coolers like the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B, Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet and Thermalright AXP-100 will all fit and all of these have much better cooling performance than the Noctua you are currently using. From looking up reviews I know both the Zalman and Thermalright coolers to be extremely quiet.

Thanks man, and the rest of the goons who helped with my issue, I'll look into those coolers and hopefully resolve my issue this week.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

japtor posted:

Anandtech does have a brief article about it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8367/intels-14nm-technology-in-detail

The TLDR is that there are different sizes for all kinds of different features on a chip, there's no one universal "All of these features are (22/20/14/10 nanometers squared)."
In that article specifically it mentions that while TSMC's 16nm process shrinks some features of the transistors themselves, it still uses the same interconnect size as their 20nm process. So you don't realize as much die area savings/shrinkage as you would if everything was scaling down universally.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

A guy wrote some words about why intel moved away from soldered heat spreaders (and apparently tried soldering a CPU himself, with success) http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

The reddit thread linked to a paper with more info as well: http://iweb.tms.org/PbF/JOM-0606-67.pdf

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Delid and liquid ultra will give similar performance.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thanks man, and the rest of the goons who helped with my issue, I'll look into those coolers and hopefully resolve my issue this week.

The Cryorig C7 is on Newegg now, you should get that.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also I've seen a decent number of people who have got their 6700k to 5GHz stable with nothing more than a decent 140mm tower cooler, hell, there are people who hit 5GHz on them without even increasing the voltage at all. Same thing for the 6600k, overclocks really drat well, Sandy Bridge well.

I have mine at 4.9GHz atm and it's been stable and barely hits 60c

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Not sure if this is the place to post deals, haven't followed this thread but just popping in to say Frys has a i5 4690k for $159, apparently at in-store pickup only. http://www.frys.com/product/8125515?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Only really posting this since in the building thread the 4690k seems to be very popular.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117403
Haswell-E i7-5930K for $460. ($125 off)
I can't decide between going for this now or waiting until Broadwell-E.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Malloc Voidstar posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117403
Haswell-E i7-5930K for $460. ($125 off)
I can't decide between going for this now or waiting until Broadwell-E.

You can get used 5820k's for $300ish all day long used, ive even seen sub $300.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Noob question: if you have a separate videocard, does the onboard gpu have any purpose?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ervin K posted:

Noob question: if you have a separate videocard, does the onboard gpu have any purpose?

It can be used for additional monitors. On broadwell its memory can become l4 cache. It can also be used for Intel quick sync.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dumbass friend of mine needs a quiet 1366 cooler on a budget. Like, a $40 budget.

212 EVO with the fan speed dramatically lowered?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Kazinsal posted:

Dumbass friend of mine needs a quiet 1366 cooler on a budget. Like, a $40 budget.

Is he trying to overclock it at all? Most 1366 chips ran at ~120-130W TDP default IIRC. Not sure what the upper limit on a 212 EVO would be without getting too noisy - I'd see if he can stretch the budget a little for something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-814256001052-Macho-Rev-B/dp/B00PKJ21LW

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

He got an i7-940 and board for $100 (CAD, too -- we're in Canada) so he decided it would be a good media/seed server or something. No plans to majorly overclock it as far as I know. Of course, the only place he has to put it in is his bedroom so he's kind of hoping for a way to keep it cool without driving him nuts.

I need to remind him that he's a broke college student and he needs to stop doing stupid things like this when he could probably get decent streaming performance out of a god damned RPi 2...

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Is he replacing the cooler on his graphics card? Because most noise from the case will come from the gpu which are mostly all 60dB monsters ever since the gtx 6xx days (at least). Make sure he avoids the blower design and that helps a little bit, but they are still obnoxiously loud for the most part.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 30, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazinsal posted:

He got an i7-940 and board for $100 (CAD, too -- we're in Canada) so he decided it would be a good media/seed server or something. No plans to majorly overclock it as far as I know. Of course, the only place he has to put it in is his bedroom so he's kind of hoping for a way to keep it cool without driving him nuts.

I need to remind him that he's a broke college student and he needs to stop doing stupid things like this when he could probably get decent streaming performance out of a god damned RPi 2...

If that's all the machine is doing then even the stock cooler is going to be totally quiet. A hyper 212 certainly will.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

He doesn't have the stock cooler -- it's a used build made of parts thrown together.

I'll let him know just to grab a 212 and drops the fan speed if it keeps him awake or whatever. Thanks guys!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khorne posted:

Is he replacing the cooler on his graphics card? Because most noise from the case will come from the gpu which are mostly all 60dB monsters ever since the gtx 6xx days (at least). Make sure he avoids the blower design and that helps a little bit, but they are still obnoxiously loud for the most part.

You can get very quiet cards these days, including quite powerful ones that are literally silent (stopped fans) at low load. Even under 3DMark loads I wouldn't describe my MSI 970s as being obnoxiously loud.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Subjunctive posted:

You can get very quiet cards these days, including quite powerful ones that are literally silent (stopped fans) at low load. Even under 3DMark loads I wouldn't describe my MSI 970s as being obnoxiously loud.
My 980 with a G10 hooked onto a H110 with the fans under-volted so they only do about 300RPM is dead silent even under Furmark loads :smug:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Khorne posted:

To be fair, a lot of new cards come with giant coolers that are not only very quiet, but turn off the fans at idle.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

My 980 with a G10 hooked onto a H110 with the fans under-volted so they only do about 300RPM is dead silent even under Furmark loads :smug:

My 980Tis are the same way, but I didn't think liquid was a reasonable comparison here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Subjunctive posted:

My 980Tis are the same way, but I didn't think liquid was a reasonable comparison here.
Any time anyone brings up potentially replacing a cooler on their GPU, I have to wonder why they're often trying to replace it with another giant-rear end "standard" air-cooler vice some sort of G10+AIO setup. With the wide support the G10 offers, you stand a much better chance of being able to move it onto your next card, versus the various air coolers which generally only fit a fairly small set of cards and end up costing pretty similar amounts of money. Unless the AIO won't physically fit (and I'd venture that you can almost always run it out through an open PCI case slot and have the radiator outside the case), it seems that the appeal of something like the Arctic Acceleros et al should be pretty small.