Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of ex-Master's Army mutants still seem to view the Master as a godlike being who was better than everyone else in the wastes, so he obviously had a cult of personality going on.

Now that you mention it, I can't think of any Super Mutant in the Fallout games who's critical of the Master. Even Marcus remembers him fondly. He must have been pretty charismatic for a living abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
Something I noticed about Marcus that I missed the first time through is that, despite being intelligent, he speaks in sentence fragments. It's a pretty neat character tick that I missed because "hey is that Michael Dorn voicing him?", and it makes Marcus sound like a more direct approach kind of guy.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Now that you mention it, I can't think of any Super Mutant in the Fallout games who's critical of the Master. Even Marcus remembers him fondly. He must have been pretty charismatic for a living abomination.

Lily calls him a "nasty man" if you ask her about him.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 23, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Out of curiosity, has there been any backstory for the Pacific Northwest? Portland and Seattle and the like?

Cali is now the NCR. Nevada was protected by the New Vegas Shield, and became what we saw in New Vegas. The flyover states became tribal raider hell/Legion territory. The Midwest is now Midwestern Brotherhood territory ( ie super assholes ), after Bethesda made "the core of Tactics" canon ( just not the stuff they got wrong. ). DC and the lower East Coast is now a radioactive hellscape just barely figuring out how water works. Boston and the rest of the Northeastern Megalopolis seem to have recovered alright, but have their own issues recovering to the point of the NCR.

The Pacific Northwest, Texas, and the Deep South are basically the few places still not shown in a Fallout game. Tactics 2 basically put down what the old Fallout team thought Florida would be like ( giant 10-20 foot tall man/crocodile hybrids caused by a GECK getting irradiated, the swamp overgrowing to the point of nature becoming this unstoppable murdering force. Disneyworld being a giant fortress against the hells of the nature madness. ), which works well enough. Texas I can assume is just more Legion territory/tribal raider gangs. But what the hell is going on up in Seattle?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I assume Seattle/Portland is just super mutants chooming.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
According to the lore, radioactive storms are common, and make travelling from coast to coast very difficult (but not impossible) and long range commuication is limited. Just assume it's a radioactive crater until it comes up in a game?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Rookersh posted:

The Pacific Northwest, Texas, and the Deep South are basically the few places still not shown in a Fallout game.
Brotherhood of Steel took place in Texas so ya know....There's That.

Also, Cassidy in Fallout 2 mentions huge rear end (radioactive maybe?) tornados all throughout the midwest/central part of the US.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The idea of not-Disney world being the last bastion of civilization in a South East Fallout has always seemed like the best option out of everything you named.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The Master had a moderately good plan of forcibly evolving humans to better adapt to the wasteland. Except Super Mutants can't breed, so it was moderately hosed, alongside the fact that the dipping process was unreliable at best, but having a stock of vault dwellers to dip probably would've helped to provide a solid core of good Mutants who were sane and intelligent.

Of course it also mandated the death of humanity, pretty much, which is pretty lovely.

Also Fallout 4 is fun as gently caress to play, but goddamn I want a game in this engine with an actually interesting setting and story. And writing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Press Y to Hate Fallout 4.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

HATE BETHESDA.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Well, I am enjoying 4 more than 3.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:agreed:

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
Did the NV Bounties guy release anything new? His stuff was legit.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

One of the Fallout 3 DLCs was set somewhere in the south, wasn't it? Like one of the Carolinas?

e: oh I guess it was just Maryland.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Out of curiosity, has there been any backstory for the Pacific Northwest? Portland and Seattle and the like?

Cali is now the NCR. Nevada was protected by the New Vegas Shield, and became what we saw in New Vegas. The flyover states became tribal raider hell/Legion territory. The Midwest is now Midwestern Brotherhood territory ( ie super assholes ), after Bethesda made "the core of Tactics" canon ( just not the stuff they got wrong. ). DC and the lower East Coast is now a radioactive hellscape just barely figuring out how water works. Boston and the rest of the Northeastern Megalopolis seem to have recovered alright, but have their own issues recovering to the point of the NCR.

The Pacific Northwest, Texas, and the Deep South are basically the few places still not shown in a Fallout game. Tactics 2 basically put down what the old Fallout team thought Florida would be like ( giant 10-20 foot tall man/crocodile hybrids caused by a GECK getting irradiated, the swamp overgrowing to the point of nature becoming this unstoppable murdering force. Disneyworld being a giant fortress against the hells of the nature madness. ), which works well enough. Texas I can assume is just more Legion territory/tribal raider gangs. But what the hell is going on up in Seattle?

I think the map in FO2 stretches into southern Oregon; Arroyo, Klamath and the Den are in Oregon according the wiki, and Seattle was going to be a place to visit in Project V13 and Fallout Extreme. I think you can technically visit Idaho in FO2 as well, but there's nothing there (there was going to be an Abbey of some kind, but it was cut).

One of the endings for the Great Khans in New Vegas has them go up to Wyoming, reconnect with the Followers of the Apocalypse, and "carve a mighty empire out of the ruins of the Northwest."

Unrelated fun fact, but FO Extreme was also going to feature China, but seeing as it never came out...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
Yeah, the NCR is expanding into Oregon by the time of New Vegas.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cassidy refers to Texas as "just one big radioactive dustbowl" in Fallout 2, so I've always imagined it being covered in tornados or something. Maybe a little like the Divide or the Glowing Sea.

The Pacific Northwest has been taken over by craft breweries, much like today.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Something I noticed about Marcus that I missed the first time through is that, despite being intelligent, he speaks in sentence fragments. It's a pretty neat character tick that I missed because "hey is that Michael Dorn voicing him?", and it makes Marcus sound like a more direct approach kind of guy.
It's also a characteristic of Marcus in F2 that we tried to maintain in F:NV.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

It's also a characteristic of Marcus in F2 that we tried to maintain in F:NV.

Does Obsidian have any plans to continue the Fallout universe? If you guys do, will you make your own engine or piggyback off F4's like New Vegas did F3?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god fallout with the PoE engine hnnnnnngh :gizz:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I turned in the quest "King's Gambit" to the NCR ambassador and as I was leaving the building, some random NCR soldier walks up and starts shooting. It causes a chain reaction that makes the rest of the NCR soldiers start attacking me.

Even when you help NCR they still gently caress you over. I know this is a bug, but I'm rolling with it. Wiped NCR off the strip for good.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god fallout with the PoE engine hnnnnnngh :gizz:

oh man, fallout that looks marginally better than FO2! (and I like PoE)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i want that florida fallout concept in the fo4 engine since that one is cool as hell for creating a dumb crazy warzone environment and a smoky environment
and a foggy horrible swamp is the perfect setting to shoot guns in

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Re: Foods, Hardcore Mode and Jsawyer Mod from couple of pages.

Many people including rope kid mentioned boatfly sliders but I think it is much easier to put some points in Survival (or boosting it with Magazine) enough for Gecko Steak and Bighorner Steaks can solve your food problems forever. Just quick travel to Goodsprings Source for some gecko hunting and cook that leathery delicacy over the campfire nearby.

I am playing a MY IMMERSION :byodood: run with Jsawyer and Pucce Moose harder everything mods and boy I stuff my face with every gross thing I can think of to heal. Hunger is especially annoying because of reduced carry weight and losing STR makes it impossible to travel around.

Hell, that +1 STR from Steaks are like staples now and I quickslotted them to eat non-stop.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JawKnee posted:

oh man, fallout that looks marginally better than FO2!
I unironically want this so, so much- but wouldn't this be Tactics 2, though? Not that it'd be a bad thing, mind you :circlefap:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CommissarMega posted:

Does Obsidian have any plans to continue the Fallout universe? If you guys do, will you make your own engine or piggyback off F4's like New Vegas did F3?

They can only do what Bethesda/Zenimax outsources to them. So, sadly, probably nothing. If we're lucky, maaaaaaaaybe another New Vegas style spinoff, but I've pretty much given up on this.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

They can only do what Bethesda/Zenimax outsources to them. So, sadly, probably nothing. If we're lucky, maaaaaaaaybe another New Vegas style spinoff, but I've pretty much given up on this.

For me that's not so much an issue because New Vegas's strengths don't like they'd translate well into the new Fallout 4 systems anyway.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tirranek posted:

For me that's not so much an issue because New Vegas's strengths don't like they'd translate well into the new Fallout 4 systems anyway.

Bethesda would pretty much have to let them put the old dialogue system/silent player back, and maybe even skills.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nah Obsidian can do Mass Effect-style wheels, see Alpha Protocol

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
HATE HALBECH

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CommissarMega posted:

I unironically want this so, so much- but wouldn't this be Tactics 2, though? Not that it'd be a bad thing, mind you :circlefap:
I think a Fallout Tactics 2 using the Pillars engine is far more likely than anything approaching an AAA project at this point in time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

StashAugustine posted:

Nah Obsidian can do Mass Effect-style wheels, see Alpha Protocol
What would be the Three B's of the Post Apocalypse?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm contemplating a Yes Man run, but man, I've never been able to justify it in-game. Putting Yes Man in charge of anything seems like such a terrible idea when anyone who manages to sneak into the (now breached by me) Lucky 38 can take complete control of everything as easily as I did

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If it helps, he gets a creepy monologue in the epilogue where he states that he has reprogrammed himself to take orders from no one but you if I remember correctly.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zeron posted:

If it helps, he gets a creepy monologue in the epilogue where he states that he has reprogrammed himself to take orders from no one but you if I remember correctly.

That helps a bit. Not sure I'm going to take his word for it though.... (paranoia)

Seems like that should have been a Science check right off the bat. "Okay, fixed Yes Man, we can proceed".

Hell, if you didn't have enough science he could have helpfully walked you through how to do it. :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
You wouldn't be the first to not take Yes Man's word for it. The way Obsidian worded that line of dialogue was rather ambiguous and let to a lot of speculation that Yes Man would stab the courier in the back.
Ropekid eventually clarified that Yes Man would stay loyal to the Courier.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 24, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fintilgin posted:

I'm contemplating a Yes Man run, but man, I've never been able to justify it in-game. Putting Yes Man in charge of anything seems like such a terrible idea when anyone who manages to sneak into the (now breached by me) Lucky 38 can take complete control of everything as easily as I did
That's apparently what his line after Hoover Dam 2.0 was supposed to be about; by "more assertive" he meant that he wouldn't take anyone else's instructions but yours, or something like that.

Edit: whoops, looks like I shouldn't have left this window open so long.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well it's no problem to stay loyal to the courier when you're a frail human form that tends to get into gunfights all the time and he's an immortal machine capable of jumping between bodies. All he needs to do is give you 60-80 years of slavish loyalty and then vegas is his for all eternity/whenever he runs out of securitrons assuming he never builds a new factory.