Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnxyvH2O_fk

Vaan's video is up. Did they change his moveset, cause I remember he could do a lot more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh wow, Mt. Bur-Omice. His moves are a bit different from what they used to be. That Pyroclasm HP Attack looks a hell of a lot useful than it used to be. That shouldn't be the full extent of his moveset though, it doesn't make sense. He had the rod, the spear, the sword and shield, the greatsword, and the katana, as well as a shotgun/machine gun crossbow.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Allarion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnxyvH2O_fk

Vaan's video is up. Did they change his moveset, cause I remember he could do a lot more than that.

Looks like they changed a bit, yeah; that lightning attack is new, I think. And he doesn't seem to change weapons as he attacks, which was his gimmick IIRC.
I'm kinda disappointed they've done away with Ex-bursts, but it makes sense given its new arcade play.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
He looks really boring where he used to be far more interesting in 012. Do hope his FFTA2 costume is in as an alt costume.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I agree with both of these statements. Pretty graphics at the expense of gameplay? It's like I'm back in 2012 all over again!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are they going to be putting new characters into this Dissidia? I haven't really been following it that closely

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Y'shtola is the only new character so far, but they also announced Ramza is in the game so we can probably expect more after the initial 14 are done being shown off

Gologle posted:

I agree with both of these statements. Pretty graphics at the expense of gameplay? It's like I'm back in 2012 all over again!

This is the opposite of what's happened

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really would have preferred instead of a third Dissidia game Koei made Final Fantasy Warriors, esp. after how well/weird Hyrule Warriors turned out.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Baal posted:

Y'shtola is the only new character so far, but they also announced Ramza is in the game so we can probably expect more after the initial 14 are done being shown off

They also said they'll likely have about 50 characters after all the downloadable ones have been released, so even if we assume every single playable character from 012 is coming back and don't count Y'shtola and Ramza, that's still like 16-17 newcomers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm excited for Dissidia Final Fantasy for arcades and later being released for the PS4.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Shoehead posted:

I really would have preferred instead of a third Dissidia game Koei made Final Fantasy Warriors, esp. after how well/weird Hyrule Warriors turned out.

We got that, it was called Dragon Quest Heroes and it was...eh? It pushed things really hard in the RPG direction, I liked Hyrule Warriors a lot better.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Is there a youtube video or something along those lines presenting the important story beats of XIII-2? I tried to marathon the games in preparation of the final entry and made the huge mistake of 100%ing FFXIII. Now I cannot stand another paradigm shift battle. Doesn't help that the pokemon side of the game completely paralyzes me with its choices. Being stranded at the weather machine, I simply don't want to interact with the game mechanics any more.

Problem is, I'm dumb and enjoy the characters in this world and want to know what happens to them. You guys are saying it's not important because it's 1000 years into the future and doesn't make sense anyway. But the trailer shows all those crystallized and vanished people cleary being up to something, so some kind of thing has happened and I (probably) do not care how goofy it is. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wooze posted:

Is there a youtube video or something along those lines presenting the important story beats of XIII-2? I tried to marathon the games in preparation of the final entry and made the huge mistake of 100%ing FFXIII. Now I cannot stand another paradigm shift battle. Doesn't help that the pokemon side of the game completely paralyzes me with its choices. Being stranded at the weather machine, I simply don't want to interact with the game mechanics any more.

Problem is, I'm dumb and enjoy the characters in this world and want to know what happens to them. You guys are saying it's not important because it's 1000 years into the future and doesn't make sense anyway. But the trailer shows all those crystallized and vanished people cleary being up to something, so some kind of thing has happened and I (probably) do not care how goofy it is. :)

Important story beats:
Literally the only important thing that happens is Noel and Serah gently caress up. Caius wins, Etro dies, Serah dies, Lightning goes into hibernation for 500 years. Everything that involves the characters is resolved in LR.

A slightly more in depth summary that I don't feel like retyping is in the intro to the LR thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608747&pagenumber=1

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 23, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXIII-2 has like 12 endings as well, Chrono Trigger style, so it would be worth it to check all of those out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My friend Noctis will be in the new Dissidia.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He will be and I'll be excited to see him

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Wooze posted:

Starting at the weather machine?

1) You fight the dragon on the plains, cutting off the flow of flans to the Sunleth Waterscape. You go back there and fight Royal Ripeness again, but since he's cut off he actually dies this time. After completing the fight, Snow vanishes because he's not supposed to be in tha.t time period, and you've resolved the paradox.

2) After the Sunleth Waterscape, you go to Academia 400, which is where the Academy HQ is, as well as basically being the capital city of human society on Pulse. Anyway, Hope headed up a project to build an artificial Fal'Cie which is now ruling over the city. When Serah and Noel arrive, he recognizes them and panics, turning all the citizens into Cie'th to fight you. None of the enemies are strong, but you seriously get in a fight something like every 10 or so steps, it's awful. While in Academia, you meet Caius who tells you that your mere existence is a paradox because you were supposed to die 200 years ago. Serah starts to panic about this, but Noel snaps her out of it and you move on. Eventually you meet Yeul, who gives you an artefact and is immediately killed by Zenobia (the one undying you never fought from 13). After a boss battle, you unlock the gate to Augusta Tower 200.

3) Seeing as Caius told you that you were supposed to die 200 years ago, Serah and Noel immediately decide that they might as well go see what happened. So you go to Augusta Tower and find out that your progress is stymied by a gap of about 10 feet, requiring you to spend a bunch of time looking for Augusta Tower 300 so you can find the key to lower a bridge and cross this gap. Once that errand is over, you meet a replicant of Alyssa who takes you up the tower. On the way up, a paradox effect happens and you learn "the forbidden history," which is basically just that Hope was assassinated way back when and the machines and the AI have been running the academy ever since. This is apparently grounds for execution according to Caius. :iiam: At the top of the tower, you encounter Yeul again, and she tells you that she believes in you, even though you changing the future will kill her. You enter a VR space and fight Adam (the rogue Fal'Cie), but eventually you reach the point where you can't kill him because he regenerates. Serah, thinking outside the box, yells at Hope through time and space causing him to abandon the Fal'Cie plan and destroying Adam because he was never created.

4) In the new Academia 4xx, you meet Hope and Alyssa who explain that since they had to abandon the Fal'Cie project, they need another way of levitating the new Cocoon. This time, his grand plan is a substance called Graviton Cores, a small rock that gives off immense anti-gravity energy. They need five of them, but they're scattered throughout the timeline so Serah and Noel have to do all the dirty work. Once you track them down, Hope takes them and Alyssa gives you an artefact for a gate that was just repaired in town. Before you leave, Noel mentions that this could lead toward the final confrontation with Caius, and Alyssa and Hope see you off at the gate.

5) Once you go through the gate, it turns out it was a trap. Serah and Noel are separated, and both of them are attacked by Caius. Serah sees a few Yeuls along the way, and gets a bunch of plot dumps basically explaining that Etro is behind everything. She gave Serah (and Yeul) the power to see the future, she's keeping the gate and the world destroying Chaos contained in Valhalla, etc, etc. Caius tells Serah that she's a massive gently caress up and then kills her, sending her into a dream world.

6) In her dream world, Serah is back at New Bodhum with Lightning, Snow, and all the gang. Lightning tells her this is what she wants and asks her to stay, but Serah refuses and runs off. Back where the meteor landed, Fang and Vanille appear for like 2 minutes and open a rift so that Serah can leave. Following that leads her to Noel's world, where we briefly see him fight with Caius and Yeul, and he's left on his own. After walking around for a bit and feeling sorry for himself, he eventually goes to kill himself but Serah reaches out to him and brings him back. Immediately afterwards, you get a Gogmagog fight because????? After going back to Noel's village, you find an Oracle Drive that shows that Caius is behind everything, he's known the entire timeline the whole time and he's been manipulating it to get what he wants. Another rift takes you to where Lightning is, and you get to chat with her for a bit, mostly going over stuff Yeul told you earlier. She also mentions that Caius is immortal because of the Heart of Etro, a literal manifestation of her power in his chest.

7) After all that bullshit is done and over with, you unlock Academia 500, which is where Caius is waiting. After a bunch of platforming, Yeul tells you that you can't kill Caius because Etro is the only thing holding back the Chaos from devouring the world. Noel and Serah press on, and eventually reach the Academy just as the new Cocoon is launching. Caius appears and starts the final boss fight, saying that Serah and Yeul are the same, why won't you understand, etc etc. Serah retorts back that she doesn't care and she will gladly trade her own life for the world. After a couple forms, you end up in Valhalla where you fight the fucker two more times until eventually he's finally beaten. Noel slashes him through the chest, destroying the Heart of Chaos and killing Caius for good. Afterwards, Serah and Noel return to Academia 500 where Hope and everyone are waiting for them, but after they return she has a vision and dies. Shortly thereafter, Hope meets up with Noel and asks what happened, before Mog falls to the ground and says "The Goddess is dead." And right on cue, the chaos that Etro was holding back swarms in the world and basically destroys everything. The final image before the end of the game is a picture of Lightning as a crystal on Etro's throne and "TO BE CONTINUED..." in big white letters.

Or the short version:

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the only important thing that happens is Noel and Serah gently caress up. Caius wins, Etro dies, Serah dies, Lightning goes into hibernation for 500 years.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 23, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Didn't square make some video in the style of the SNES games to recap the plot up till xiii-3?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cake Attack posted:

Didn't square make some video in the style of the SNES games to recap the plot up till xiii-3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFmP4fVBqA

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The yelling at Hope bit is really good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Yeul bit is great.

They really at this point didn't care anymore and just picked fun at it all.

E: I feel like it doesn't matter if you played XIII or XIII-2 for LR. Even more so for LR then XII-2 did.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 23, 2015

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If you didn't do the stuff with Hope before giving up you should go back and knock that chapter out (take the other gate from Bresha Ruins) because the bosses are much easier than Ripeness/Faeryl and it sets up the whole deal with Caius and Yeul which does come up in LR.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I 100%ed FFXIII-2 and I'm not sure I know what happened in that game.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
What's most important is that Lightning Returns loving owns and I look forward to buying it on PC where it won't get 12 FPS on average.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A 60fps return from Lightning is all I could ever want for christmas, other than if she were to invite me to her wedding.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A 60fps return from Lightning is all I could ever want for christmas, other than if she were to invite me to her wedding.

I'll send you an invitation

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

so does matsuda ever give you poo poo about that time you brought roses to an expo for your waifu

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

60fps by christmas, I'll believe it when I see it

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The first 30 fps comes with the game. The remaining 30 fps is paid DLC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

XIII/XIII-2 ran well on PC so I imagine LR will b similar. I'm excited to play it again, I remember having a blast when it first came out.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

In Training posted:

XIII/XIII-2 ran well on PC so I imagine LR will b similar. I'm excited to play it again, I remember having a blast when it first came out.

They run ok now, after a few patches and mods and workarounds

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Schwartzcough posted:

The first 30 fps comes with the game. The remaining 30 fps is paid DLC.

you jest, but that future is sadly not so distant.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All I want for Christmas, is you (Lightning)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Thank you, Toriyama-san.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tempo 119 posted:

They run ok now, after a few patches and mods and workarounds

I didn't install any mods and had 60fps for the most part. Sometimes during battles if I got enough particle effects at once it would dip a little but that's not the end of the world.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artix posted:

Starting at the weather machine?

2) After the Sunleth Waterscape, you go to Academia 400, which is where the Academy HQ is, as well as basically being the capital city of human society on Pulse. Anyway, Hope headed up a project to build an artificial Fal'Cie which is now ruling over the city. When Serah and Noel arrive, he recognizes them and panics, turning all the citizens into Cie'th to fight you. None of the enemies are strong, but you seriously get in a fight something like every 10 or so steps, it's awful. While in Academia, you meet Caius who tells you that your mere existence is a paradox because you were supposed to die 200 years ago. Serah starts to panic about this, but Noel snaps her out of it and you move on. Eventually you meet Yeul, who gives you an artefact and is immediately killed by Zenobia (the one undying you never fought from 13). After a boss battle, you unlock the gate to Augusta Tower 200.

3) Seeing as Caius told you that you were supposed to die 200 years ago, Serah and Noel immediately decide that they might as well go see what happened. So you go to Augusta Tower and find out that your progress is stymied by a gap of about 10 feet, requiring you to spend a bunch of time looking for Augusta Tower 300 so you can find the key to lower a bridge and cross this gap. Once that errand is over, you meet a replicant of Alyssa who takes you up the tower. On the way up, a paradox effect happens and you learn "the forbidden history," which is basically just that Hope was assassinated way back when and the machines and the AI have been running the academy ever since. This is apparently grounds for execution according to Caius. :iiam: At the top of the tower, you encounter Yeul again, and she tells you that she believes in you, even though you changing the future will kill her. You enter a VR space and fight Adam (the rogue Fal'Cie), but eventually you reach the point where you can't kill him because he regenerates. Serah, thinking outside the box, yells at Hope through time and space causing him to abandon the Fal'Cie plan and destroying Adam because he was never created.

The Caius in 400AF was actually created by Adam, to try and spook/kill Noel and Serah away because their interference would cause Adam to cease to exist. Except that by telling them that they were supposed to have died 200 years ago, it made them go back 200 years ago and end up wiping Adam out. Basically it gave them the solution to kill him.

Oh, also Alyssa turns out to be a traitor and the artifact she gives you turns out to be a trap. You can turn the tables on her in (the best) paradox ending.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Baal posted:

I'm excited for Dissidia Final Fantasy for arcades and later being released for the PS4.

You can't just say how you feel! That makes me feel angry!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So does Lightning Returns play like an Action game then? Even something like The Witcher 2 would be fun, I just don't really want a turn based game. I watched the sprite recap of FFXIII and it looks confusing and dumb as hell (but I just uniformly think time travel is a lovely writing convention) but I want some cool fantasy action.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah its real time. You chose your actions and guard against attacks in real time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGanWbw4rno

Lightning's trailer. Looks like double-Paradigm combos are an actual thing now that don't require assists.