Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

graybook posted:

There was an issue of Batman Incorporated which also pulled some cyberspace dealio and fittingly used 3D art for the relevant segments.

I personally refer to that issue as Digital Justice 2: Electric Boogaloo. I really didn't like the art.

I appreciated the effort of the issue.

I should get in on BSS Secret Santa. We got a couple copies of Digital Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So I don't read a ton of comics but does Demogoblin count as a half-remembered headache? He seems way too grimdark and edgy for Spider-Man, even Carnage is supposed to be like a lovely jokester.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well Spider-Man did make a literal deal with the devil recently.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lady Naga posted:

So I don't read a ton of comics but does Demogoblin count as a half-remembered headache? He seems way too grimdark and edgy for Spider-Man, even Carnage is supposed to be like a lovely jokester.
I know, let's pair him with Doppelganger, the six-armed clone with dripping fangs who shoots razor-sharp webbing!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Aphrodite posted:

Well Spider-Man did make a literal deal with the devil recently.

Yeah but he was a fun devil. Demogoblin is a self-serious rear end in a top hat who lives in the sewer and hangs out with Shriek.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think the most edgy part of Demogoblin is his heroic death.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Demogoblin's whole thing as a villain was that he thought everyone but children were sinful and should be cleansed, including priests and other obviously good people. This one time in Maximum Carnage the stupid plot device beam made him confront that he was the most corrupt and evil of all and he couldn't deal with it.

Eventually Hobgoblin (Jason Macendale, the ex-CIA one) got into a tiff with Demogoblin, and collapsed a church wall during the fight. A kid was in the way of the collapsing wall, and the demonic Demogoblin was like "Nooo, an innocent!" and shoved him out of the way and got crushed.

Cuz the real Hobgoblin is SUCH A DICK that even demons are nicer than him! Woaaaah!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

Demogoblin's whole thing as a villain was that he thought everyone but children were sinful and should be cleansed, including priests and other obviously good people. This one time in Maximum Carnage the stupid plot device beam made him confront that he was the most corrupt and evil of all and he couldn't deal with it.

Eventually Hobgoblin (Jason Macendale, the ex-CIA one) got into a tiff with Demogoblin, and collapsed a church wall during the fight. A kid was in the way of the collapsing wall, and the demonic Demogoblin was like "Nooo, an innocent!" and shoved him out of the way and got crushed.

Cuz the real Hobgoblin is SUCH A DICK that even demons are nicer than him! Woaaaah!

Right but I meant that I couldn't tell if you were mocking me for thinking that the Demogoblin was a byproduct of 90s edginess or if you were earnestly agreeing.

Also it's really weird having a conversation with someone else who's avatar features a left-facing lady sporting a pob.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Maybe your avatars are discussing comics while walking down the street?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
We're both gay, enjoy robots and are literal children so this checks out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

We're both gay, enjoy robots and are literal children so this checks out.

Yeah and so are our avatars.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

END ME SCOOB posted:

I was inspired to look this up again due to a comment on an old episode of Vidjagame Apocalypse about "a Batman comic owned by Electronic Arts due to the art". I figured it had to be this one, but I don't see their logo or name anywhere on it, and I have no idea what the hell else it could be in that case.

EA briefly had the license, but I think they only released one game, a Batman Begins tie-in. They had a Dark Knight tie-in, but that never got released. I don't think any of the EA games got tie-in comics, maybe they were thinking of Ubisoft? I think a couple of their Batman games got comics and maybe some elements of those are owned by them?

I always heard that Digital Justice was a big influence on Batman Beyond, like Scissors, Paper, Stone was for the Teen Titans series, but I never got a chance to read it. Was that accurate or were people just saying that because it's also Cyberpunk Batman?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Spirits of Vengeance Venom was one of the two trades I actually owned as a kid, but besides general Demogoblining (and that groan-worthy pun name) I don't remember anything mock-worthy about it unfortunately.

The other was Spawn: Blood and Shadows, which is both the only Spawn book I've ever read that is any good and coincidentally barely features Spawn in it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

catlord posted:

I always heard that Digital Justice was a big influence on Batman Beyond, like Scissors, Paper, Stone was for the Teen Titans series, but I never got a chance to read it. Was that accurate or were people just saying that because it's also Cyberpunk Batman?

I really don't see it. At most its the drawing from the same genre thing, or if I'm generous, its look at "youth culture" of the future. Except BB extrapolated relatively well, and Digital Justice just went "when kids are hopeless they will slavishly follow a singer like a cult leader" and little more.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

END ME SCOOB posted:

I just found out the dude behind that book went on to be the designer of That lovely Game In Every Movie Theater Arcade Ever, aka "Beach Head 2000".

We've got a copy of that game in our warehouse at work. For over five years, I've wondered why we never run it. The VR headset thing looks neat. I figured it just took up too much space to be put in a bar. Now I know the answer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

In what way was that inspiration for the Titans series? I mean, I guess the model sheets look a little like Adam Warren art if you squint?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Demogoblin infected Moon Knight with a half-assed demon virus that caused him to rot, thus ending the second-shittiest MK run.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gaz-L posted:

In what way was that inspiration for the Titans series? I mean, I guess the model sheets look a little like Adam Warren art if you squint?

Oh, I'd heard that it was responsible for them deciding to give the cartoon the anime style. I could be wrong, and I think I heard that from someone on these very forums, so I should probably take it with a grain of salt.

The Scissors, Paper, Stone characters do show up in one of the shorts, which is probably the first time it was referenced in 15 years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm fairly sure the creators of the show cited that comic as an influence.

I am not sure why I know that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So this came up in another thread:

unseenlibrarian posted:

The best/worst member of the Legion of Superheroes was Fortress Lad, who had the ability to turn into a rocket-shaped building.

He showed up for tryouts, and saved the entire team by jumping in front some random villain's mind-eraser ray.

This -mostly- shielded them from the effects...except everyone forgot that Fortress Lad existed, and he was completely mindwiped.

So the Legion was like "Oh, wow, someone left a cool rocket-shaped building here!" and made it their headquarters.

Their living, catatonic headquarters.

That...is hosed up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, I really want to know what was up with DC in the 60s and 70s with all the stuff you see in superdickery like Superman being a rear end in a top hat to Jimmy Olsen and the general weirdness of the comics.
Like seriously, wtf?

http://superdickery.tumblr.com/tagged/superman

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

You know, I really want to know what was up with DC in the 60s and 70s with all the stuff you see in superdickery like Superman being a rear end in a top hat to Jimmy Olsen and the general weirdness of the comics.
Like seriously, wtf?

http://superdickery.tumblr.com/tagged/superman

I know that in 60's, DC covers were made first and the stories were written based on the covers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know that in 60's, DC covers were made first and the stories were written based on the covers.

Were their cover artists taking large amounts of drugs? I know that was what was happening at Marvel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes, Steve Ditko was toking it up 24/7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

That...is hosed up.

I really hope someone can say there was a story where this dude was rescued. :smith:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The story I heard is that they had a guy who looked at the monthly sales/returns alongside the covers for that month's comics, and would deliver his pronouncements like "Ape covers are moving books, so ape it up" or "Kids love mysterious cover copy now, so more questions on covers". Based on his dictates, the next batch of covers were generated, and stories were written to match.

He said he didn't need to know what actually happened in the comics, because the buyer didn't know it either, until they paid their money.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
hm. Doom Patrol had a 90's X-Force parody called Doom Force.
Among... other absurdities*... there was a character who had to sit out of battles because his only power was to turn into a mountain.
Of course at the end he gets a chance to use that power and save the team at the cost of his own life. But then the team forgets about him.
Not because of a mind wipe, but because they never liked him.

there's some similarities and grant knows almost everything from old weird dc comics so it might have been a direct inspiration as well as a commentary on how horrible a storyline it was.

* (some stuff I remember: a shapeshifter turns into a hole in the floor, a psychic uses his power to scare robots with ghosts and another character uses a bad luck power to have another robot get a phone call about a family member having a tragic accident)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Evil Mastermind posted:

That...is hosed up.

Jesus H. Christ, this is like that fetish comic where they turn a chick into a dragon's heart or something and she's just sentient, forever. Except this was officially published by a major corporation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, Steve Ditko was toking it up 24/7.

I don't know if your joking, but I did read that the guys working on Doctor Strange at the time were big acid heads, explaining all its crazy psychedelic imagery.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am trying to find the reference but wasn't there a DC editor or writer in the 60's who was doing some therapy with LSD or something that came up with some trippy Superman stories.

One of the searches I have done has led me to Mort Weisinger who was a Superman editor at that time, but I don't think it was him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know if your joking, but I did read that the guys working on Doctor Strange at the time were big acid heads, explaining all its crazy psychedelic imagery.

Where the gently caress did you read that bullshit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

Doom Force

Wow, they nailed the Liefield "style" pretty hard on this one.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gently caress me I don't know if The Crying Boy or Shasta, the Living Mountain would be a better forums name change

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Where the gently caress did you read that bullshit.

It was in the Marvel Comics Untold story book, but Steve Englehart is the guy I was thinking of.

Read more at
http://www.spookmagazine.com/the-four-colour-trip-marvels-lsd-years/

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 25, 2015

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Were their cover artists taking large amounts of drugs? I know that was what was happening at Marvel.

I can't remember where I read it, but I recall seeing somewhere that some DC artists once complained to their editor that the writers were always asking them to draw these elaborate, technically-demanding scenes to go with the stories they'd written. The editor decided that in return, every few months the artists would get to draw a cover and make the writers come up with a story to fit it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

twistedmentat posted:

It was in the Marvel Comics Untold story book, but Steve Englehart is the guy I was thinking of.

Read more at
http://www.spookmagazine.com/the-four-colour-trip-marvels-lsd-years/

quote:

Under stoner dialogue like, “I must meditate to comprehend this cosmos, for only through knowledge can true salvation come, ”
lol

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wow, they nailed the Liefield "style" pretty hard on this one.

They hosed up, I can see a foot.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What the absolute gently caress Fortress Lad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are those balloons or sperm on Flux's bodysuit?

• Locked thread