Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Except the drat things default to "Recharge" when they're built/placed, for some inane reason :argh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

McGiggins posted:

They should have no boxes ticked.

This way, they're semi-auto, and will recharge or discharge based on the input and output load.

IE, if no refineries are running, they'll start auto charging immediately, but turn the refineries on and they'll start to discharge immediately, but will switch back to charging the moment there is excess power.

One of the better QoL updates they added, imo.

More panels is always better than less.

Edit 1: The number of panels per battery is contingent of the load you intend to extract from them during the non-charging period (Night).

Are you charging a dozen craft with large battery reserves while a refinery/assembly setup grinds away through the night? How much you're consuming is relevant to the equation. You're going to want a dozen or so batteries, with enough panels to always maintain at least a slight positive charge through out the whole process at maximum intended load.

Edit 2: This way, through out the day, the excess charge should build up the batteries to full, while still providing enough power to all equipment and tasks. In essence, once you know what you intend to power, you can do a simple Power Draw per Second x Duration of Night = Required Stockpile / Battery Capacity.

I think my peusdo math is right, I have not had any coffee.

Alright so I have one day set to 30 minutes so I need enough batteries to produce enough kWh to last the night and enough solar panels to power the batteries in addition to whatever else is running?

E: from the looks of base values its going to be impossible to run anything that maintains altitude with atmospheric thrusters with a solar panels and batteries.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 24, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You just need to figure out how much power you use in one full day (day and night) while working at full balls-to-the-wall power consuming mode. Then you need your solar panels to produce a little above that number. They're total production rate will need to be roughly double your total consumption rate in order to compensate for night time.

Solar panels are really tricky to figure out how much power they're generating though, since the angle of the sun effects output and such. Having solars on rotars and keeping it aimed at the sun helps. But I have yet to actually figure out / be assed to actually do that yet.

The number of batteries only depends on how long your night is. A shorter night means you don't need so much batteries.

If, however, you're typically not working your base very hard most of the time and tend to have bursts of productivity, you can run with less solar panels and more batteries.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Speaking of solar panels, I'm having an issue with my camera satellite solars not generating any power when high in the sky. I made sure to angle the panels the way the sun was moving and they generate a grand total of zero power points. I land the thing to take a looksie and the panels suddenly are working fine now? :confused:

Issue number 2: I have a large drilltruck with 4 5x5 wheels and sometimes one wheel will sometimes disappear. :confused: Like... Its just gone now.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have had a coffee! I will attempt to refine my equation, but it will probably still be horribly wrong. Buckle up.

(Power Draw per Second x (Duration of Night x 60) = (Required Stockpile / Battery Capacity)) will give you the number of batteries, minimum, required to support your operation over night. As you add more things requiring power, this will need to be updated. Always round up, of course

(Power Draw per Second / Solar Panel Max Input per Second) should give you the number of panels you need to support that draw (assuming maximum sun during the entire period). If you want to ensure the batteries have at least a trickle charge in addition to their intended draw in order to have them always charged, just add one extra panel, though a few extra will ensure the fact that they don't always have maximum sun is offset by the additional input.

From that, you just need to build your batteries, and then place your panels, and make sure you adjust these equations as you expand.

Azuth0667 posted:

E: from the looks of base values its going to be impossible to run anything that maintains altitude with atmospheric thrusters with a solar panels and batteries.

If you're trying to build something that stays aloft forever on just the panels it can carry while flying, then I doubt you could do that. I haven't tried it or run the numbers, but if you find a way, let me know!

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 24, 2015

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

McGiggins posted:

I have had a coffee! I will attempt to refine my equation, but it will probably still be horribly wrong. Buckle up.

(Power Draw per Second x (Duration of Night x 60) = Required Stockpile / Battery Capacity) will give you the number of batteries, minimum, required to support your operation over night. As you add more things requiring power, this will need to be updated. Always round up, of course

(Power Draw per Second / Solar Panel Max Input per Second) should give you the number of panels you need to support that draw (assuming maximum sun during the entire period). If you want to ensure the batteries have at least a trickle charge in addition to their intended draw in order to have them always charged, just add one extra panel, though a few extra will ensure the fact that they don't always have maximum sun is offset by the additional input.

From that, you just need to build your batteries, and then place your panels, and make sure you adjust these equations as you expand.

If you're trying to build something that stays aloft forever on just the panels it can carry while flying, then I doubt you could do that. I haven't tried it or run the numbers, but if you find a way, let me know!

I'm trying to make what amounts to a floating tent you can use to hide from the space spiders or mock the plebs on the ground.

It seems to maintain altitude fine but going up req hires turning on the reactors.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Totally possible. I have a large ship I hijacked from the workshop and then modified on my server that is completely reliant upon solar power, and stays afloat constantly on only solar on a 120 minute day cycle.

You just have to be careful about your weight distribution and thrusters. Always err on the side of caution and add a chunk more solar than you need, in case you're parked in partial shade, etc...

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Azuth0667 posted:

mock the plebs on the ground.

This is a greatly important use.

I don't know if the weight of the batteries scales well enough with their storage density and the increased thrusters required per additional battery... etc to power a floating platform overnight, seeing as that's a period of pure loss, unless you go sun chasing, which would require more thrusters and more batteries and more panels. More math will tell! I am at work at the moment though, and cannot be assed mining the values from the wiki.

I may do so tonight though, or one of the far better math nerds may wish to do it.

E:fb. Case in point /\

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

I will re-iterate. Weight distribution. I found this out the hard way when I was creating a hovering mining platform. When I had my drills offset to the 'front' the platform constantly tried to tumble forward, no matter how many thrusters I added. It was perfectly fine when I had it all situated coming from the middle of the platform, though.

I'm not sure if this is intentional, or just a hilarious result of some of the physics. But it was quite frustrating before I gave up and redesigned it.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Welp. Trees are the stupidest loving thing to happen since planets. I just had the misfortune of autosaving while driving my huge drilltruck in a forested area (had to reload due to wheels disappearing lol) and now every time I reload the save a tree (previously knocked down) is instantly revived inside of my driver's seat, blowing up everything to poo poo.

This loving game is such a loving mess right now it's insane. Rotors/pistons/all moving part are constantly exploding, wheels randomly GONE, trees/vegetation don't actually ever go away, cockpits are suicide booths if not properly ventilated and there's no indicator that you're loving dying.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Man I keep coming back to this drat game ever so often and every single time it's the same experience: Try to get survival going, get frustrated by some finnicky bullshit or other, give up, regret having bothered.

It's so tantalizingly close to something amazing, but it's just far too taxing for my patience just now.

Bugs aside the survival progression is probably the most infuriating part, even before planets (though planets have certainly brought it from "very unpleasant" to "untenable").

I hope eventually there will be a long enough window of stability for a few mods to make this into a more cohesive survival experience.

Creative can be fun I guess but I like my space-lego to have a bit more purpose :/

e: I really want to play spaceblocks but this game is just utterly broken right now. It doesn't help at all that the autosave feature is as barebones as it can get, literally just a save connected to a timer and it doesn't even take pauses or loading into the game or manual saving into consideration. Also no backup saves of any kind is making me want to kill something.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 24, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can you use a gravity generator to cancel planetary g at your construction site? Or to build a 0g tunnel going from the surface into outer space?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SelenicMartian posted:

Can you use a gravity generator to cancel planetary g at your construction site? Or to build a 0g tunnel going from the surface into outer space?

Nope. Gravity Generators don't work past 0.5g's.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Welp. Trees are the stupidest loving thing to happen since planets. I just had the misfortune of autosaving while driving my huge drilltruck in a forested area (had to reload due to wheels disappearing lol) and now every time I reload the save a tree (previously knocked down) is instantly revived inside of my driver's seat, blowing up everything to poo poo.

This loving game is such a loving mess right now it's insane. Rotors/pistons/all moving part are constantly exploding, wheels randomly GONE, trees/vegetation don't actually ever go away, cockpits are suicide booths if not properly ventilated and there's no indicator that you're loving dying.

Can you open your save file, work out which things are the trees, and delete them?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

McGiggins posted:

They should have no boxes ticked.

This way, they're semi-auto, and will recharge or discharge based on the input and output load.

However, having them on recharge makes them recharge faster if your base is drawing any appreciable power. It looks like when no boxes are ticked, batteries give out power to machines, even though said machines are already also getting power from panels, making them recharge really slow, or even drain, even though you're only using half of your panel power.

Also, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=380165093

This uncaps the game's top speed. I heavily recommend it, if nothing else to just get out of the goddamn gravity well much much faster. Even just accelerating to 300m/s shortens the trip down to well under 2 minutes.

Also, with this it's possible to have real orbits. And, since there's no drag (yet?), you can have a thing that orbits the planet really low really fast. Tricky to do though, if you leave 1.0 g area, you get thrown out because the gravity falloff is all wrong.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope. Gravity Generators don't work past 0.5g's.

Also note that at 0.49999gs they only generate a tiny fraction, to get a full 1g out of a gravity generator you need to be in 0g natural gravity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uploaded the Kestrel Shuttle Mk.3. Now with 90% less crashing into planets when the hydrogen fuel runs out. Also please yell at me if it's missing any modblocks. Pretty sure I've got them all listed, but there always seems to be one I miss.

Spookydonut posted:

Also note that at 0.49999gs they only generate a tiny fraction, to get a full 1g out of a gravity generator you need to be in 0g natural gravity.

Basically you're gonna be walking at an angle around your ship for about five-ten minutes until you're fully out of the planet's gravity.

edit:Also got around to adding the synIRC channel to the OP.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 24, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

e: I really want to play spaceblocks but this game is just utterly broken right now. It doesn't help at all that the autosave feature is as barebones as it can get, literally just a save connected to a timer and it doesn't even take pauses or loading into the game or manual saving into consideration. Also no backup saves of any kind is making me want to kill something.

Edit save file settings, untick Block Damage/destruction. That might help?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That may launch his vehicle into outer space. I'd say go for it :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mindblast posted:

That may launch his vehicle into outer space. I'd say go for it :v:

Reminds me of SCP-1958, a mysterious, airtight VW Bus hurtling through the solar system at about 130 km/h, with a corpse on board. Read the diary entries, they are mega depressing!

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 24, 2015

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hey, just got the game but having a small graphical glitch. Wherever there are shadows from the sun or from spotlights or the sun I see stripes. Is there any way to turn off shadows in an XML? Thought I would ask the thread before heading to the official forums.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The Deluxe Space Tent so you can oppress micromanage your workers from the comfort and safety of your aerial roost:

The luxurious inside provides all you could possibly need, no assembly required, refinery sold separately:

Manufacturer makes no guarantees, no refunds permitted and regular maintenance may be required. Darwin awards are delivered to the next of kin all people that fail to read the fine print:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azuth0667 posted:

The Deluxe Space Tent so you can oppress micromanage your workers from the comfort and safety of your aerial roost:

The luxurious inside provides all you could possibly need, no assembly required, refinery sold separately:

Manufacturer makes no guarantees, no refunds permitted and regular maintenance may be required. Darwin awards are delivered to the next of kin all people that fail to read the fine print:

That's really cool :allears:. How are you meant to get aboard it though? Doesnt seem to have any landing pads or docking mounts.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Killdozer style.

Here's hoping

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HardDisk posted:

Killdozer style.

Here's hoping

I'm 100% on board with anything even remotely as cyberpunk as permanently entombing somebody in their corporate workstation, which was built around them with no exits.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's really cool :allears:. How are you meant to get aboard it though? Doesnt seem to have any landing pads or docking mounts.

Here at Dong Inc. we recognize that being a job creator is difficult. It involves putting long hours fiddling with random things in that pen container you got last holiday party, ordering your secretary to do stupid things that don't really need to be done and the most ghastly of all tasks make important decisions. Additionally managing ungrateful workers can be a dangerous occupation they might get ideas like unionizing and demanding a fair wage. However with the Deluxe Space Tent you'll never have to worry about that since we've included a combination of our drop in entry way that your plebs workers are sure to never be able to enter:

and our free thought suppression device to ensure complete compliance with all delegated tasks:

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm 100% on board with anything even remotely as cyberpunk as permanently entombing somebody in their corporate workstation, which was built around them with no exits.

HardDisk posted:

Killdozer style.

Here's hoping

These products are currently in development to serve all of your middle and lower management needs.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm totally stealing this design. I'm a big fan of remote drones and long for the day where mining can be automated.

Edit: I really need to get on building a Drone Carrier that can produce its own Kamikaze Drones.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 25, 2015

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Does anyone know if you still get the Argentavis on a easy start planets with "enable drones" and "random encounters" on but with "cargo ships" off? I flew around in a test world for a bit and saw some space pirate outposts, but never got one of the raider ships to appear. I'm not sure if the Argentavis will spawn, as they would encounter the same problems that cargo ships would and crash on worlds, eating all the RAM, when they try to get within 5k of players on the surface.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So it turns out if you turn the Lone Survivor start into a giant space ironclad it still thinks it has the asteroids gravity and will just fall. Forever.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
But asteroids don't have gravity?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Turned out the ship conversion hosed up somehow so it just fell into space forever because :shrug:.

Then we fixed it and crashed it into a planet but it refused to die to we spent a while cutting the mountain out from under it to drop it into a lake.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The batteries in my base aren't recharging at all unless I check the recharge box. What's the deal here? I have a billion solar panels too.

e: Seems like my base draws power from solars first, then batteries next. How do you guys manage the power at your bases?
e2: So of a bitch my solar panels are outputting 0 power what the gently caress?? Does power not flow through rotors?

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 26, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I noticed that I don't like playing games normally, at least initially. When planes were introduced into KSP, I spent months playing with planes and planes alone. And now with SE, I'm going to build bases, and bases alone.

This is likely going to take me weeks or months, depending on what time I have. But I'm building a massive fuckoff underground base for ~reasons~.

Front entrance. It's nicely bundled up against a hill which leads to a larger mountain. The access tunnel is long (longer than my draw distance) and has three sets of doors. One of them is oriented so it blocks up the entrance way as quickly as possible... this is for the people who would try to speed through it. There are also plenty of small and large guns floating about.

The end of the entrance. I'm planning to have it become a vehicle hangar/repair station of sorts. I don't know yet, this part (like everywhere else) is a work in progress.

"Command room" of the vehicle hangar. It has a lot of LCD screens I haven't setup yet.

A few reflections after spending more than a few days drilling into rock:

1. gently caress drilling into rock is the worst. I spent forever with hand drills and large/small ship drills until I said gently caress it and went with a mod. The modded drill I use right now is a bit overpowered but it gets the job done.
2. Rock is a pain to remove but it's weak as hell. One warhead can clear out an entire cavern, which makes future attacks on underground bases in multiplayer a bit easier.
3. Block placement on planets is wonky. I've ctrl-placed blocks 5-6 deep into rock, and other times I can't place one without clearing the entire area around it.
4. It's a time-wasting incredibly tedious process but knowing that you are basically working underground with an essentially infinite amount of rock below you... it's pretty immersive.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
:eyepop:

Anyone want to recreate the entirety of Red Faction?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

Front entrance. It's nicely bundled up against a hill which leads to a larger mountain. The access tunnel is long (longer than my draw distance) and has three sets of doors. One of them is oriented so it blocks up the entrance way as quickly as possible... this is for the people who would try to speed through it. There are also plenty of small and large guns floating about.

This is sexy as hell. Do you have a shot like this but from just outside, showing the hillside it burrows into?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Logikv9 posted:

I noticed that I don't like playing games normally, at least initially. When planes were introduced into KSP, I spent months playing with planes and planes alone. And now with SE, I'm going to build bases, and bases alone.

This is likely going to take me weeks or months, depending on what time I have. But I'm building a massive fuckoff underground base for ~reasons~.

The end of the entrance. I'm planning to have it become a vehicle hangar/repair station of sorts. I don't know yet, this part (like everywhere else) is a work in progress.

"Command room" of the vehicle hangar. It has a lot of LCD screens I haven't setup yet.

A few reflections after spending more than a few days drilling into rock:

1. gently caress drilling into rock is the worst. I spent forever with hand drills and large/small ship drills until I said gently caress it and went with a mod. The modded drill I use right now is a bit overpowered but it gets the job done.
2. Rock is a pain to remove but it's weak as hell. One warhead can clear out an entire cavern, which makes future attacks on underground bases in multiplayer a bit easier.
3. Block placement on planets is wonky. I've ctrl-placed blocks 5-6 deep into rock, and other times I can't place one without clearing the entire area around it.
4. It's a time-wasting incredibly tedious process but knowing that you are basically working underground with an essentially infinite amount of rock below you... it's pretty immersive.

Try Eikester's Nuke Launcher if you want something to excavate big caverns with.

It punches big spherical holes in the ground :v:. That is an amazing underground base, and n'thing that I want to see how it looks from the outside.

Also, I made something as an update for Rossmum's ship's external shuttle - A Kestrel variant with dorsal and belly airlock doors instead of a rocket turret. Partly because the version I originally mounted to it probably won't fly in atmosphere worth a drat.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I've got trouble even doing one of the planetary starts, the game just gobbles up all my memory (8 GB, plan to buy an entirely new computer next month so memory upgrade is out of the question for this old one) and this then of course makes my computer trash the swap memory and makes it basically useless for a few minutes until I can kill the game. Is there some trick to get it working or am I out of luck at the moment?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Police Automaton posted:

I've got trouble even doing one of the planetary starts, the game just gobbles up all my memory (8 GB, plan to buy an entirely new computer next month so memory upgrade is out of the question for this old one) and this then of course makes my computer trash the swap memory and makes it basically useless for a few minutes until I can kill the game. Is there some trick to get it working or am I out of luck at the moment?

Best off waiting to see what gets bugfixed in the weekly patch tonight/tomorrow.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Best off waiting to see what gets bugfixed in the weekly patch tonight/tomorrow.

Keen posted:

Summary
This week we added a new feature that makes the connection of two stations easier when they are built in each other's vicinity. So from now on, you don’t need to use the merge blocks to connect them. Newly placed station creates an area of 1000 cubic meters around it.
When you try to place another station within the area, it will be aligned by default with the first station, therefore you can connect them by blocks.
And last but not least, we have fixed more bugs.

Features
- Local coordinates sector

Balancing
- increased jetpack duration on planets to around 1 minute of flight on earth
- increased atmospheric thruster power by 20% for both large and small ships
- cockpits and chairs have their selection boxes enlarged for much easier use

Fixes
- fixed memory leak when reloading world
- fixed crash with power distribution
- fixed crash when using Space Master
- fixed crash when flying around planet

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Do the thrusters draw more energy in return for the additional thrust generated, or is it a straight boost?

Also, that station local area grid is awesome. Now it's gonna be really easy to set up perimeter turrets and the like through an underground ammo-feeding system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did, sadly it didn't help at all. At the loading screen, the memory usage of the executable still increases till there's no memory left. Ah well. I could probably figure something out by fiddling with the settings but I kinda don't want to make the effort. I think I'll just wait until they fixed their game/I got a computer with enough RAM.

• Locked thread