Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I play video games. I often find myself skipping through tons of character dialogue and cinematics. Typically, the writing sucks. I want recommendations for games on the PC (or whatever I can emulate) with well-written, coherent stories. I won't post this thread in the Games forum because I've convinced myself that the majority of the 'experts' there have wildly lovely opinions. What makes me think I'll have better luck in GBS? I dunno. Reply to this thread, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Sounds like somebody has never played Bad Dudes.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

most games that try to do writing are done by people who like Joss Whedon shows so they are terrible.

However, Serious Sam games have stellar writing.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I clicked reply but realised I can't really give you a good answer.

I like Fallout: NV and apparently the writing is good there but I still ended up skipping a lot of it anyway.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Give Pat a Job posted:

No, but I have played Two Crude Dudes. Similar?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

avernum series was p good.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i like the writing in Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, OP

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb8b02474FM

Alternatively, Witcher 3.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Gone Home had a lot of writing in it.

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
half life, baby

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Truth is most games have good writing. Intellectual hipsters have been trained to think longwinded gay bullshit is good writing and need to constantly point out everything else sucks to make themselves feel superior. ~ Farts ~

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Gone Home had a lot of writing in it.
i swear i'm the only person i've met who thinks Gone Home is a good experience

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad

symbolic posted:

i swear i'm the only person i've met who thinks Gone Home is a good experience

listening to the riot grrl tapes is fun and so is walking around

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

Flavor Truck posted:

No, but I have played Two Crude Dudes. Similar?

Get. The. gently caress. Out.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You're better off finding a game with a lot of badass swords than good writing.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the reason the characterization of the antagonist in Portal works so well is that they hired the guys from Old Man Murray to do the writing for the game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyvQfn30uE

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Give Pat a Job posted:

that guy looks like a bad enough dude to rescue the president so why doesnt he do it??

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

None

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Marathon :colbert:

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

that guy looks like a bad enough dude to rescue the president so why doesnt he do it??

He doesn't own the appropriate fingerless gloves. Jesus Christ, doesn't anyone appreciate the deep lore of Data East games anymore?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
DUKE NUKEM

IDIOT

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Tales from the Borderlands is good but the rest of the Borderlands games are just unmitigated wackadoodle Reddit garbage w/r/t writing

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
I have it on good authority that the Bubsy series has phenomenal writing. You should check those out. Bubsy 3D is generally regarded as the pinnacle of video games both with regards to gameplay and writing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Super Time Force Ultra had teh hilarious memes and le epic gameplay. Also, the initials of its title spell "STFU" LOOOOL!

But actually aside from that it's a great game with innovative mechanics and great art.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Bamford Brownstone posted:

I have it on good authority that the Bubsy series has phenomenal writing. You should check those out. Bubsy 3D is generally regarded as the pinnacle of video games both with regards to gameplay and writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25bjSoyXlw0

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

E1M1 posted:

Tales from the Borderlands is good but the rest of the Borderlands games are just unmitigated wackadoodle Reddit garbage w/r/t writing

borderlands more like borderline unplayable

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Myst

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Revolution X was a masterpiece as well. No other game was able to capture the magic of Aerosmith in videogame form.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Chinatown posted:

borderlands more like borderline unplayable

:thurman:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

E1M1 posted:

I haven't played that one, but Telltale's Walking Dead season 1 was really good, season 2 was kinda meh, but I still enjoyed it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Tony Hawk Pro Skater

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Journey. Not the lovely one from a few years ago but the 1983 version featuring the band Journey.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Knights of the Old Republic II is pretty well-written for the most part, but they didn't have enough time to finish the ending so that part's rather unsatisfying. Still worth it IMO. Make sure you pick up the rerelease and download the patch.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bamford Brownstone posted:

Revolution X was a masterpiece as well. No other game was able to capture the magic of Aerosmith in videogame form.

Agreed

Aug 4, 2010

Streets of Rage 2

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
LISA.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I found Tetris had a really compelling story, it's very light on text but the subtext is there if you read between the lines (and then erase the lines by completing them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

"Four young friends, rage burning inside them, make a stand for friendship and peace"

You dont get this kinda writing anymore

• Locked thread