Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jose posted:

Is there a shortcut in 4-1? I can get to the boss but its a bit of a pain and i keep dying really stupidly against the boss

It's not an intended one. You can roll off a ledge in a certain spot and skip the majority of the level. Youtube it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That skipped a lot thanks.

I've yet to kill a single crystal lizard because either i do no damage or they run to somewhere I can't really attack them in time like the start of 2-2

edit: warding has been pretty good for boss fights but the not exactly accurate description made me take longer than it should have to realise it was useless for flamelurker

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 22, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jose posted:

Edit: there was something across a collapsing bridge i had to sprint over in stonefang tunnel. I couldnt' pick it up due to equipment burden and its not there after I deposited some stuff to go back. What was it?

I'm lost in the tower of latria. I've come across the cross bow firing machine but not sure where to go now since I've not seen any other keys so the second floor is still locked away. Did they remove the ability to climb small things from other souls games or did I just never notice?

The Great Club was the item after the collapsible planks.

You can climb over some ledges but the only way to find out which is by trying to walk into them and seeing if a climb animation triggers. There's always a visible reason to try it like a break in a fence (there are a couple of these near where you are stuck in Latria) or an item ahead.

The key is across the gap policed by crossbow jesus. Either run across or look to the area to the right of the door where you came outside to first see crossbow jesus, there is a climbable gap in the fence behind the crates.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It was the bit the wardens key unlocked that I had missed but I'm now on 3-2. What were the drops in the fools idol room and is it worth going back for them? Is there a trick to the lizards other than world tendency that I think i'll have to wiki how it works. I'm using a crescent falchion I found for most of my fighting saving spells for bosses/enemies in the air and wondering if that is the best thing to upgrade when I finally get materials since I'm focusing on int/magic since I can use it without changing any other stats

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the thing behind the altar is a weapon. you can get it by hugging the wall so the gargoyles dont trigger

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Does 4-2 not have a shortcut either?

nevermind i beat it anyway. I see the blacksmith turns a boss soul into the insanity catalyst. is it worth getting?

5-2 is loving poo poo

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 27, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Jose posted:

It was the bit the wardens key unlocked that I had missed but I'm now on 3-2. What were the drops in the fools idol room and is it worth going back for them? Is there a trick to the lizards other than world tendency that I think i'll have to wiki how it works. I'm using a crescent falchion I found for most of my fighting saving spells for bosses/enemies in the air and wondering if that is the best thing to upgrade when I finally get materials since I'm focusing on int/magic since I can use it without changing any other stats

The lizards work like this: they spawn once by default, then for every boss you kill in their world, they spawn once more

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

5-2 is loving poo poo

welcome to the poison swamp, please enjoy your stay

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jose posted:

5-2 is loving poo poo

Might I suggest getting gud?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It doesn't matter how far back you go. That guy who thinks "giant poison pit full of identical enemies" is the greatest achievement in level design has been working at from for a long time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

a blessed weapon of sufficient level will completely nullify the poison

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Awesome! posted:

a blessed weapon of sufficient level will completely nullify the poison

Or an upgraded Adjudicator's Shield, or Regenerator's Ring plus one or the other.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh right i forgot about those. pretty sure i had all 3 going lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i managed it with aggressive use of healing items and got most of the stuff in the swamp the same way i did nightmare frontier but the slow walking/running while in the poison ffs

1-3 was a nice change but man the difference in souls gained/damage taken compared to 4-2 was huge. I wish there were more utility spells unless I've missed someone other than sage freke so far.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jose posted:

1-3 was a nice change but man the difference in souls gained/damage taken compared to 4-2 was huge. I wish there were more utility spells unless I've missed someone other than sage freke so far.

1-3 would be where you could miss someone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah i went back. Finished the game now but missed old king doran despite getting the key. I'm not sure if its shorter than other souls games or I just know what im doing now but i finished in under 20 hours

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Jose posted:

yeah i went back. Finished the game now but missed old king doran despite getting the key. I'm not sure if its shorter than other souls games or I just know what im doing now but i finished in under 20 hours

Well, Demon's could be the shortest of any of the games considering you only need to finish 2 worlds.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Well, Demon's could be the shortest of any of the games considering you only need to finish 2 worlds.

You need to do every world.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah not sure where you are getting the idea that you need to only finish 2 worlds when the major boss in each world has to be defeated. Not to mention DS has alot of boss fights that are not optional.

Also you know what you are doing. The rough experience of playing Souls game is what.. 40 hours? After that it cuts down.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Yeah not sure where you are getting the idea that you need to only finish 2 worlds when the major boss in each world has to be defeated. Not to mention DS has alot of boss fights that are not optional.

Also you know what you are doing. The rough experience of playing Souls game is what.. 40 hours? After that it cuts down.

You can fight Old Allant after getting one Archdemon Soul, and while he is the end boss in a sense, he is far from the end of the game. Maybe they forgot the game progression?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well I've started playing this again and as someone who didn't make it very far the last few times I've started this game, this time the wanderer will carve out a trail of bloodstains til the end. What would be good for someone who feels like swinging 2 curved swords around upgrade wise?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
World 4-1, get the crescent falchion, power slam the rest of the game

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Just finished DS2 and i thought i'd give this a go. Ahahah magic is so OP!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
edit: whoops wrong thread

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Do any of you think they'll ever make a Demon's Souls 2?

It seems like the third Dark Souls might be the last one, and Bloodborne feels pretty self contained.

Do they just make a new type of game after 3, do they return to Demon's Souls, or do they make a fourth branch of the souls series?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Mr. Unlucky posted:

It seems like the third Dark Souls might be the last one, and Bloodborne feels pretty self contained.

Do they just make a new type of game after 3, do they return to Demon's Souls, or do they make a fourth branch of the souls series?

Miyazaki has been quoted as saying that DaS 3 is the last Souls game and on top of that FROM doesn't own the DeS IP (Sony does), I doubt they're going to make a sequel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

only way there will be a sequel to demon's souls is if sony pays for it

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
A PS5 exclusive!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Dark Souls was Demon's Souls 2 dude.

The differences between DeS and DS are pretty much the same as the differences from DS to DS2.
DS3 looks to be even closer to DeS so if that's really what you want then you can call DS3 DeS2 but its just arguing semantics comeon.
Bloodborne is if anything even closer to DeS than some parts of DS1 or DS2.

The whole reason DS was called DS and not DeS is because sony owns the DeS trademark name. That's it. So unless Sony convinces FROM to make another exclusive game, but ask them to make it DeS exactly and not do something new like Bloodborne, its not going to happen. And that'd make no sense.

Either Dark Souls or Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 is Demon's Souls 2, depending upon whatever dumb metric you wanna use.

There aren't really branches to the souls series, each game is individual, each game tries new things, and each game maintains the same philosophy as the others. Its just one series with 4 games that changes names at times for legal reasons.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^^^ this

Though I really do want to know what's beyond the broken archstone.

Sony plz

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Manatee Cannon posted:

only way there will be a sequel to demon's souls is if sony pays for it

As well as bloodborne's done I wouldn't put it past Sony trying to throw as much money at Miyazaki as it takes to get him to do something else for them in a similar vein.

Vein.

Get it?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

esperterra posted:

^^^ this

Though I really do want to know what's beyond the broken archstone.

Sony plz

Just go look at the vids on YT. There are a bunch of unused models and a level or two that have been found and documented.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

As well as bloodborne's done I wouldn't put it past Sony trying to throw as much money at Miyazaki as it takes to get him to do something else for them in a similar vein.

Vein.

Get it?

No

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

Vein.

Get it?

Wait

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

Vein.

Get it?

Yes

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Armored Core: Steel Veins???

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So ahahahaha. I've always played these games with slow, big damage 2h builds. Of course that's not much good for the blue dragon. I'm trying to remember how I killed that thing the first time I played through when the game was new. Or is it non essential?

I stock up the dex so I can wield the white bow. White arrows uneconomical and still do about 15 damage so I stock up on heavy and also find rotten arrows do quite well and sort of do the work for you. This involves farming a few souls, buying all the arrows, and time.

Omw to try it the first time, I get invaded. First time this play through. Lags to hell and I get shanked from behind from 40 feet away. No big deal, I hadn't reached the dragon yet.

Second time, I get old bluey down to half and he takes off. Without human form or even cling ring I gamble and kill the fat man that's still standing. Not sure how close I can get to the flames without being touched so I have to go whole for the extra life just in case. I get it down to ohh maybe a few hundred hp left by way of poison and now at this range the heavy arrows only doing 2 to 4 damage each. Invaded by someone else. I hide at the bottom of the stairs, guy casts some spell, my attack magically does nothing and then he kills me instantly without even appearing to do anything. I. I.....

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont need to kill the red or blue dragons

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

finally started this and man meticulously completing ds and dsii makes demon's souls a cakewalk. i hope my shield-free dex playthroughs of all three pay off big time when i get to bloodborne before dsiii hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Awesome! posted:

you dont need to kill the red or blue dragons

Though there is something very satisfying about downing the red one with 300ish perfectly timed arrows over the course of nearly an hour, on a fresh save.

... Or maybe the souls have driven me insane.

• Locked thread