Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"NOW RUN KARA, RUN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
How exactly did the killer robot replace its arm?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Flash did a better job of selling the dissipation of a tornado.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Maybe it woulda won the first fight if it did this spiffy tornado thing the first time.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This General is an absolute joke, and considering comic book generals that's saying something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You look mah-velous.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh my lord shut up about your loving parents Max

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Please let this be leading to a montage.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, this works too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

At first I thought Kara was gonna tell Jimmy to punch her which would've been...well I dunno what it would've been but the word that's coming to mind is "lol."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Dr. Morrow is effectively fighting two people at once, and... winning? It should be no contest.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What a douche.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Man, agent Pierce is a jerk.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
First of all, I don't pay her very much.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Not wasting anytime getting to the depowered episode I see. Come to think of it, didn't Flash do the same thing at about this time last season too?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:rip: red tornado

maybe you can come back with a less terrible costume

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I feel like I give this show the benefit of the doubt most of the time, but this was by far the worst episode of this show I've yet seen.

The villain was forgettable the robot looked awful and made little sense, the General spewed literal nonsense every scene, Kat's mom was an awful non-character (the show really needs to shut up about the -girl thing, it's not empowering) it's just a horrid mess of an episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Seeing Red Tornado in motion with effects didn't do it any favors.

My favorite things in this episode was Supergirl doing the Bugs Bunny attack and when Kara yelled at Cat and her realization of what she just said.

Is it cheaper to get Tegan and Sarah and whomever originally did that song?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The writing is just silly.

Also, who the gently caress gives a poo poo if some noname scientist dies while he's trying to kill the person who shoots him?

I liked the themes in the episode, but what dumb loving writing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Is it cheaper to get Tegan and Sarah and whomever originally did that song?

Nightlight wasn't a cover! :eng101:

But seriously, that version of Go Your Own Way was pretty but completely bloodless.

Drifter posted:

I liked the themes in the episode, but what dumb loving writing.

:agreed:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm going to say that I continue to enjoy this show a lot. It's about as subtle as a three-year old's crayon drawings, and there's dumb writing exploding all over my face, but I really have to reiterate that it's not much worse than a lot of other stuff out there.

The General Lane stuff in particular is, like, practically identical to the military bullshit nonsense characters like Waller and Eiling that appear on Arrow and Flash. Heck, he's practically toned down here from when we last saw him in the comics. And if this show really is leading to New Krypton stuff as rumored, then his whole military bullshit nonsense actually serves a point, however nonsensical.

I dunno, I just find myself settling into the "feel" of this show and going with it. The core of this series, with Kara and her ongoing tribulations, is really enjoyable to me for whatever reason.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I thought Red Tornado was a member of the Justice League...was he a villain first? Seems weird that they killed him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Red Tornado is one of those hyper-convoluted comic book convolutions whose origins would be too complicated to explain and involves both aliens and air elementals, but the short answer is yes; he was originally built to be a bad guy. His inventor T.O. Morrow (the guy we saw today) is one of the bigger evil scientists in DC.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Yay! :neckbeard: I like this show a whole whole lot because it does its one job, which is having Supergirl punch increasingly dangerous things. Everything else is tolerable and I got to see a loving amazing live action Livewire, so yay!

Also I'm going to choose to believe they blew the effects budget for fights on Livewire and that's why Red Tornado was made out of spray painted Styrofoam. It helps me stay sane that way:stonk:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Why did no one ever point out that "It's your loving murderbot, General! You built the thing and didn't install an off-switch."?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It can't turn off its EMOTIONS! :cry:

Red 1.0 served its purpose as a template for Red 2.0 to have a personality and question the odd logic of us hoo-mans... but wait... you're not one of them either, are you, Kara?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

jfood posted:

Why did no one ever point out that "It's your loving murderbot, General! You built the thing and didn't install an off-switch."?
Following the same trend as Arrow or Flash where the military is literally just bullheaded and singular in purpose - being stupid as hell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Party Plane Jones posted:

How exactly did the killer robot replace its arm?

Costuming :effort:, or clever foreshadowing that someone repaired it? You decide.

I like that Kara seems to have punched her way out of a CW love triangle.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sober posted:

Following the same trend as Arrow or Flash where the military is literally just bullheaded and singular in purpose - being stupid as hell.

Well that does pretty much sum up the military.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All that was missing from this episode were Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Having Kara blow up Red Tornado reminds me of the episode of the The Flash where they kill Atom Smasher. Very similar in that they are both heroes that are shown in their "bad-guy development stage", that are then killed/destroyed (Red Tornado definitely leans more towards hero over villain than Atom Smasher though). Just leaves a bad taste in the mouth that they get killed off.

Overall I found the episode to be a definite improvement over the earlier ones. The show is definitely picking up, between this episode and the Livewire one.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

BrianWilly posted:

T.O. Morrow

Goddamnit comic books.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

quote:

Oh! This one's easy! Your cousin............'s favorite superhero!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The writing is clunky, but I liked at Jimmy's extra "do kryptonians have emotions?" line and delivery. Made me chuckle at least.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

gninjagnome posted:

The writing is clunky, but I liked at Jimmy's extra "do kryptonians have emotions?" line and delivery. Made me chuckle at least.

"Do Kryptonians have _extra_ emotions I don't know about?"

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Right that's what I meant.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Super Dude posted:

I thought Red Tornado was a member of the Justice League...was he a villain first? Seems weird that they killed him.

I think he became a member of the Justice League so they had a member that could be brutally dismembered and destroyed every few issues then rebuilt without concern.

Henshaws job is to deal with aliens, how did it take him til mid episode to realize that wanting Supergirl to test a robot means its purpose is to fight Superman? I expected the second Morrow got fired that Hank would offer him a job, it makes more sense for him to work for him and it would be a fun jab at Lane.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really wish they hadn't killed him. I actually liked the way he looked. When he achieved sentience he should have stopped fighting and tried to escape instead of something, and could return later.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

I really wish they hadn't killed him. I actually liked the way he looked. When he achieved sentience he should have stopped fighting and tried to escape instead of something, and could return later.

He had to die, because his outfit was fuckin' ridic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This was a pretty terrible episode, but goddamn if Benoist didn't sell that rageface at the end. She looked like she was going to rupture something*.

*Other than the robot.

• Locked thread