Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It is definitely an A5. Fired up an A5 (880Hz) square wave, turned on Number of the Beast, skipped to the beginning of the scream, and it's bang on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
No problem, Newt King.
Glad to share.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Kazinsal posted:

It is definitely an A5. Fired up an A5 (880Hz) square wave, turned on Number of the Beast, skipped to the beginning of the scream, and it's bang on.

But why is it written so high on the sheet music? From searching around on the internet, people talk about tenors being written as an octave higher to fit on the treble clef, but one of my friends insists that it only happens in classical music, and there's no 8vb written. Why is music so confusing?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
I'm afraid your friend's just wrong: that's how every pop music book (and, for that matter, every fake book) I've ever seen has been written. That's not to say that every book is written this way, of course. But lots of them are.

(It makes even more sense if the music is written for guitarists, as this is, 'cause guitars are transposing instruments anyway. But that, I think, is more of a coincidence than an explanation.)

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Boz0r posted:

But why is it written so high on the sheet music? From searching around on the internet, people talk about tenors being written as an octave higher to fit on the treble clef, but one of my friends insists that it only happens in classical music, and there's no 8vb written. Why is music so confusing?

The octave down is implied most when it's a guy singing, especially in modern music. The C on that staff is C4, the one on sheetmusicplus is a C5, and perhaps they've transposed the song up a third, or they're just a lovely sheet music vendor. Pick one or both.

I know this thread is mostly for contemporary singing, but I thought it would be an appropriate place to pat myself on the back for earning a full scholarship in a young artist program in Salzburg this summer singing two tenor roles for a few weeks.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
Congrats on that!

I've been taking singing lessons this semester, and I feel that I have improved vastly. It's a great feeling.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Hoshi posted:

The octave down is implied most when it's a guy singing, especially in modern music. The C on that staff is C4, the one on sheetmusicplus is a C5, and perhaps they've transposed the song up a third, or they're just a lovely sheet music vendor. Pick one or both.

I know this thread is mostly for contemporary singing, but I thought it would be an appropriate place to pat myself on the back for earning a full scholarship in a young artist program in Salzburg this summer singing two tenor roles for a few weeks.

Thanks, it's starting to make a bit more sense.

I like eighties hair metal and hard rock and I want to sing that poo poo. My problem is that I'm a baritone, and when I had some singing lessons a couple of years ago my range was around E2-F4 in chest/normal register, and up to around G#5 in head/falsetto. Lately I've begun playing/singing again, and I found that a lot of the higher part of my chest register sounds very strained, and I've probably forgotten the correct technique.

My question is two-fold:
Is there a good video describing the basics of good technique like proper stance, opening of the throat and stuff like that?
Also, exercises to make an overdrive-y transition from chest voice to head voice, so I can follow my favorite songs? Also, if there's anything I can do to try to expand my range a bit.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Here's a take on On My Way to You by Michel Legrand and the Bergmans. I'd love to know what other people think could be better!

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Dear Singgoons,

I've started getting a little more serious about singing in the last couple months, and lately I've started getting very decent (in my own estimation anyway). Unfortunately, after being able to get through some Sam Cooke numbers with reasonable success, I was afflicted by a monstrous hubris. After much singing I think I've really hurt my voice. I stopped singing two days ago, but still went ahead and talked regular style throughout the weekend. I decided to try singing today as my throat was feeling okay but could only get through 1 song before I had to call it quits.

So now I am going to take very seriously the advice offered on various sites and basically just avoid talking for as long as possible and drink hot water and honey. Do ya'll have any other tips on recovering? Do you think I should see an ENT? Having never really sung before I don't know what steps to take really. :(

VVVVVVV I've been singing for like 1-2 hours a day every day for a month or so, so maybe not hurting it by belting too loud once, but belting too loud too often. I will for sure post something when I can.

Waverhouse fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 21, 2015

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

See an ENT if you want, but if you can still talk normally it seems like overkill. In my area it's like a 3 month wait to see an ENT. Stop singing when it hurts and your voice will recover. Also, maybe post a sample of your singing because it sounds like you might be belting in a really unhealthy way. (After you rest for a few days.)

Further advice: don't drink alcohol while your voice is recovering. Stop speaking two hours before bed and don't vocalize as long as you can after you get up. That increases your continual rest time which is very helpful. Think about recovering from an ankle injury by resting for 20 minutes then putting your weight on it for 20 seconds, then resting again. That's kind of what talking is doing to your recovery.

I sincerely doubt you destroyed your voice from misusing it one time.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dont cough at all either if you can help it. If you need to phlem something drink water.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 21, 2015

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Am I okay to just post some songs I sing on? I only just noticed this thread and I hope cross posting from the sketches thread is okay. Basically, I don't imagine myself ever being a singer people listen to and go, "yeah, he sounds awesome!" but I'd like to be serviceable as I might be doing vocal duties for the band I'm in, at least until we find a real singer. I only have three songs recorded I've sung on so it might not be much to go on. I've looked around and while I'd love to find a vocal coach/teacher but most seem really out of the way (I live a few hours away from where most are based) or are way more than I can afford. So I'd love some internet help if possible.

This was done today and I admittedly have a slightly sore throat but I think it's still a good indicator of my range (Or lack of).
Same song but with only acoustic. I kind of prefer the way my voice sits with acoustics.
Last song, and the first one I ever really recorded vocals for. It's got some weird inflections and choices but I actually kind of dig the way it turned out.

So there you have it. I'm open to any and all help and criticism. I am not a delicate flower that needs to be told it's fine. Maybe I'm too breathy, or focus too much on highs, or just outright suck. That's fine, I need to know so I have something to work for.

Thanks guys.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Not sure if you guys will be able to help me, but I figure this is the best place to ask.

So I started working at a haunted house. My role requires me to be loud and yell, scream, growl. So I jump in the scene, yell at the people, yell some more.. and then either let off a deep growl or a high pitched scream/laugh/etc. This is all good for about two hours and then the tension headache sets in. Seeing as two hours is about the half-way point of my night.. the remaining time is tough. I can't stop yelling and go and rest. I have been loading up on anti-headache meds, drinking plenty of water, and I am in shape (although I could probably strengthen my neck muscles more).

I might be yelling wrong.. I am kinda just throwing my voice out there and not really pushing it out from my diaphragm. I can do that with a growl but I'm not sure how to do that with clearly audible yelling (mixed with a fake southern accent to boot). Not to mention this is a Fri/Sat/Sun night gig so my voice is decimated by the end.

What kind of vocal warm-ups should I be doing? How should I deal with (ideally, prevent) these headaches? I have this throat numbing spray which helps a ton, but I can't be using that every 10 minutes.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Am I okay to just post some songs I sing on? I only just noticed this thread and I hope cross posting from the sketches thread is okay. Basically, I don't imagine myself ever being a singer people listen to and go, "yeah, he sounds awesome!" but I'd like to be serviceable as I might be doing vocal duties for the band I'm in, at least until we find a real singer. I only have three songs recorded I've sung on so it might not be much to go on. I've looked around and while I'd love to find a vocal coach/teacher but most seem really out of the way (I live a few hours away from where most are based) or are way more than I can afford. So I'd love some internet help if possible.

This was done today and I admittedly have a slightly sore throat but I think it's still a good indicator of my range (Or lack of).
Same song but with only acoustic. I kind of prefer the way my voice sits with acoustics.
Last song, and the first one I ever really recorded vocals for. It's got some weird inflections and choices but I actually kind of dig the way it turned out.

So there you have it. I'm open to any and all help and criticism. I am not a delicate flower that needs to be told it's fine. Maybe I'm too breathy, or focus too much on highs, or just outright suck. That's fine, I need to know so I have something to work for.

Thanks guys.

Look into breathing exercises. You don't have any air support when you sing and it gives you a choppy unsupported tone. Makes you sound out of tune (although that's vowel shape as well).

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009
Has anyone tried out the Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy? I like his Youtube videos and what he says seems to make sense to me. I am basically a beginner but because I have been playing guitar for 20 years I am sure I have some bad singing habits.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hawkgirl posted:

Look into breathing exercises. You don't have any air support when you sing and it gives you a choppy unsupported tone. Makes you sound out of tune (although that's vowel shape as well).

I looked up stuff about this after my latest recording. I didn't even know I was breathing wrong. How the gently caress does that work? That being said, thanks, it gives me a direction. Hopefully this time next year I won't sound like I'm having an asthma attack.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Haha. Sometimes it's the simplest things that have the most influence over how we sound. I was rehearsing poo poo with students today and they were sucking out loud until I finally realized that they were taking a terrible, uncoordinated breath before starting. The second we started focusing on unifying our breaths, the actual music started coming together. Kind of neat.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I'm an absolute beginner singer who sometimes has trouble keeping a tune while singing along with the radio. I've been wanting to do some more strumming/singing stuff with my guitar lately, but I've found I'm pretty awful at singing even when I'm not also playing the guitar.

My question is, I don't really have the time or money to devote to consistent singing lessons, but could someone like me benefit enough from taking just one or two lessons, to learn the very basics, to make that worth pursuing?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Maybe? Tough question to answer over the Internet. It's less about your current ability level and more about your ability to learn.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Dr. Platypus posted:

I'm an absolute beginner singer who sometimes has trouble keeping a tune while singing along with the radio. I've been wanting to do some more strumming/singing stuff with my guitar lately, but I've found I'm pretty awful at singing even when I'm not also playing the guitar.

My question is, I don't really have the time or money to devote to consistent singing lessons, but could someone like me benefit enough from taking just one or two lessons, to learn the very basics, to make that worth pursuing?

If you can't keep in tune with a song you know enough to sing along with, you probably need to work on listening more than singing. Try some ear training exercises? I wouldn't waste money on lessons yet, since it seems like you're not even to the point of worrying about tone.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
That makes sense, I've been working on that anyway, so I'll keep going.

Sometimes, though, I know the tune, but the note that comes out of my mouth is not the one that I was trying to make.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Dr. Platypus posted:

Sometimes, though, I know the tune, but the note that comes out of my mouth is not the one that I was trying to make.

That's likely just a matter of practice. Maybe check out the book Vaccai practical method book & cd and sing along to practice intervals. Opera voice not necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Method-Italian-Singing-Soprano/dp/0793553180 (get baritone book if that's you, check your library if you want to just try it out)

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009

Dr. Platypus posted:

I was in the same spot you are, a couple of months ago. Took to training, I'm using software to test me on interval/chord recognition and singing from memory/notes and in intervals. Don't know if there is a free variant (Canta will show you what you are singing, and you can load it up with a midi so you see what you should be singing, is free, but it is dinky as hell), I use EarMaster and I am very happy with it.

I got a pretty cheap microphone, Shure SV100 and coupled with software I am well on my way to front for my band. I'm such a drat dope. Was sure I can not sing for 32 years of my life, to just now realize that most of that inability to sing came from the fact I was trying in the wrong register. I speak fairly high, so I was pretty certain I'm a tenor, if not a little higher. Turns out I'm a straight bass :) . Got a lot of training ahead of me, but progressing drat nice.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Tolstojevski posted:

I was in the same spot you are, a couple of months ago. Took to training, I'm using software to test me on interval/chord recognition and singing from memory/notes and in intervals. Don't know if there is a free variant (Canta will show you what you are singing, and you can load it up with a midi so you see what you should be singing, is free, but it is dinky as hell), I use EarMaster and I am very happy with it.

I got a pretty cheap microphone, Shure SV100 and coupled with software I am well on my way to front for my band. I'm such a drat dope. Was sure I can not sing for 32 years of my life, to just now realize that most of that inability to sing came from the fact I was trying in the wrong register. I speak fairly high, so I was pretty certain I'm a tenor, if not a little higher. Turns out I'm a straight bass :) . Got a lot of training ahead of me, but progressing drat nice.

That's actually a really interesting idea, I was wondering if there was anything like this out there. How does it help you get the notes right when you're kind of warbling in and out of key? Is it just repetition until you figure out how to get it right, or is there some kind of instruction? I'm very interested in this.

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009

Dr. Platypus posted:

That's actually a really interesting idea, I was wondering if there was anything like this out there. How does it help you get the notes right when you're kind of warbling in and out of key? Is it just repetition until you figure out how to get it right, or is there some kind of instruction? I'm very interested in this.

I'll take you through a sing from memory drill, I love those.
First the software plays you a melody. Starting out these are really limited, 3-4 tones from a very limited range in the same rhythm, but later drills wont hesitate to drop you 4 mixed rhythm bars using the full Dorian scale as range or such.
Then it gives you a metronome tick and waits for your reply.
After you sing it tallies up the score and, most importantly, shows you how you did.

This bit I really adore. Because I broke out the mic just to do a quick screen grab for you I was holding it in one and a lit cigarette in the other hand and it so shows. You can clearly see how it took my voice sweet time to hit that first F between drags, and hosed it up as well, then hit the second one clean and going into the high (for me) G it cracked.

Second drill, funny enough F and G again, but on the bottom of my range. Managed it, but you can spot a problem I am having. That low F is difficult for me, I find myself hitting G or E most of the time by accident, and you can see, while I managed it this time, it was a pretty warbly start, went too low at first.

Incredible tool for analysis. Used a similar software to learn how to bend on my mouth harmonica (change the flow of air so the hole that plays D drops to C# for example) many years ago, so it definitely works for me.
And pedagogically I really think they hit the nail on the head. If it was displaying the staff and how you are doing all the time you might develop badly and end up dependent on the visual clues. Thy way it is, training wheels are off at the start, and the first time you sing it is not going to give you any clues while you are at it. Just after you do a phrase it shows you the staff, and if you butchered it, you can opt to try the same phrase again and just in that case it leaves the staff on and you can monitor your performance as you sing.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
That was a great explanation, thanks.

One more quick one -- you say that this program helped you figure out your register, how did it do that? Since I haven't got a drat clue what register I should be singing in, do you just wing it until you figure out what you can and can't do?

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009

Dr. Platypus posted:

That was a great explanation, thanks.

One more quick one -- you say that this program helped you figure out your register, how did it do that? Since I haven't got a drat clue what register I should be singing in, do you just wing it until you figure out what you can and can't do?

I think most people have more luck then I with that. Most usually speak drat near their singing register, so they naturally sing where they should when they try. I speak using the top of my head voice, and I could not differentiate between resonators before getting into singing, so that threw me off.

So I did wing it, but it was not difficult. When I chosen tenor as my range at start didn't take but two tones to realize that I sure as gently caress cant sing there. Painful that. Tried baritone, realized it fits me much better but the upper bit is still stressful, went bass and things clicked right in. I seen plenty of charts, but this one seems to be perfect for me. Lower bit I am already at whats described as pro limits, upper bit (no doubt due to years of smoking and drinking) a tone or two above amateur limits, still gonna need some work.

Just basically start from the middle C and head up and down to see where you feel comfortable. Singing below or above your range is very stressful so you will figure it out without a problem, I think.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I need some tips.

I like hair metal and 70ies/80ies hard rock, and most of the good singers are usually tenors or high baritones. I'm a baritone, and I max out my chest voice at around G#4, and that's pretty low compared to those singers, of course. My head voice is quite strong, though, as I took some lessons a couple of years back to try to sing some The Darkness songs.

When I want to sing some of my favourite songs, I either have to sing them an octave lower, or continually switch between chest and head voice, both of which sound weird.

I don't suppose there are any exercises that could add half an octave to my range, so what should I do? Sing them in a lower octave?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

You could transpose them into a key which fits your range. I was in a covers band once where we had to do that with a couple of songs.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A whole octave? The difference between baritone and tenor range is only like 3 semitones.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Seconding the above. If you're a baritone, you won't really be physically capable of hitting the top notes of a high tenor glam rocker, especially someone like the voice behind "I Believe in a Thing Called Love". So either you're looking at transposition, or using falsetto for the higher notes. Then again, that runs into the problem you mentioned of the weird switching between registers, unless you extend the lower range of your falsetto, but that can only go so far, and you'd get all countertenor-y.

My fiancé is a high baritone, and he absolutely tops out at about a B4, occasionally C5, but his larynx gets so high at that point that it's more for comedy. Usage wise, G4. Falsetto obviously extends upwards much further, but it's not that practical.

Long story short, transpose. But what would really be best is choosing rep that suits your voice, not trying to mould your voice to suit the rep.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

for fucks sake posted:

You could transpose them into a key which fits your range. I was in a covers band once where we had to do that with a couple of songs.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to avoid, since a lot of the songs have cool guitar riffs that are awkward to transpose, but maybe there's no way around it.

massive spider posted:

A whole octave? The difference between baritone and tenor range is only like 3 semitones.

Yeah, but they're highly trained tenors hitting an E5 and stuff like that. The octave transpose was just because guitar parts would be unchanged.

Aristophanes posted:

Seconding the above. If you're a baritone, you won't really be physically capable of hitting the top notes of a high tenor glam rocker, especially someone like the voice behind "I Believe in a Thing Called Love". So either you're looking at transposition, or using falsetto for the higher notes. Then again, that runs into the problem you mentioned of the weird switching between registers, unless you extend the lower range of your falsetto, but that can only go so far, and you'd get all countertenor-y.

My fiancé is a high baritone, and he absolutely tops out at about a B4, occasionally C5, but his larynx gets so high at that point that it's more for comedy. Usage wise, G4. Falsetto obviously extends upwards much further, but it's not that practical.

Long story short, transpose. But what would really be best is choosing rep that suits your voice, not trying to mould your voice to suit the rep.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I guess I'll have to try transposing stuff.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 29, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I could use some singing advice. I've been writing and recording songs for years, but singing is still my big weakness, and usually the area where my songs fail - I find it really hard to record takes that sound good enough.

So here's one example, the first verse from an unfinished song-in-process: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgngd0e2toabz9n/shatterheart%20verse.wav?dl=0

I did several takes and edited what sounded like the best bits into this clip. It still doesn't sound great to me. In particular, the last line, "who left you in charge?", sounds bad. The "who-oo" makes me cringe and I'm not sure why. It sounds exactly the same on every take I record, the same weak "who-oo". What's the problem here exactly?

I don't know anything about singing - the physical processes behind it like breathing and so on. So any advice is appreciated. What can I improve and do differently here? Is there a different way I could sing this?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 22, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I've been trying to figure out how to access whistle register, but I can't seem to get it to go. I tried the vocal fry glissando trick, but all that seems to happen is that I end up doing witches voice around A5-C6, especially once I try to power it up a little bit. I imagine that that's not what the musculature is supposed to feel like for whistle register, so I'm guessing I am doing something wrong and/or haven't happened into the mechanical position to produce it. Any tips?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Popcorn posted:

I could use some singing advice. I've been writing and recording songs for years, but singing is still my big weakness, and usually the area where my songs fail - I find it really hard to record takes that sound good enough.

So here's one example, the first verse from an unfinished song-in-process: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgngd0e2toabz9n/shatterheart%20verse.wav?dl=0

I did several takes and edited what sounded like the best bits into this clip. It still doesn't sound great to me. In particular, the last line, "who left you in charge?", sounds bad. The "who-oo" makes me cringe and I'm not sure why. It sounds exactly the same on every take I record, the same weak "who-oo". What's the problem here exactly?

I don't know anything about singing - the physical processes behind it like breathing and so on. So any advice is appreciated. What can I improve and do differently here? Is there a different way I could sing this?

Singing is a whole lot of breathing and supporting from the stomach. Are you comfortable singing? As in, do you ever feel the need to hold back when you sing? Because it's really important to really let it go when singing, being relaxed.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

You've got a good voice but a kind of thin, shakey vibrato. It would sound better either totally straight or with more confident vibrato but thats not an easy thing to fix. Its SO slight to the point of almost being inperciptable, but theres a slight waver on "w'hoo", you sound pretty tensed up.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 25, 2016

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Kylra posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to access whistle register, but I can't seem to get it to go. I tried the vocal fry glissando trick, but all that seems to happen is that I end up doing witches voice around A5-C6, especially once I try to power it up a little bit. I imagine that that's not what the musculature is supposed to feel like for whistle register, so I'm guessing I am doing something wrong and/or haven't happened into the mechanical position to produce it. Any tips?

Why do you want whistle register? Are you trying to sing "Emotions" by Mariah Carey or something? I don't think everyone is able to access whistle, so you just might not physically be able to do it. But to give yourself the best chance you need to eliminate tension in your neck and jaw and keep your head in a neutral position (i.e no tilting downwards, slouching etc). In terms of musculature you should be feeling as little as possible, and whatever you do feel engage should be in your lower body anyway. Also don't try to push yourself up there, it should feel like you're using hardly any air, because it's just enough to phonate so high without blowing out. You don't need "power" in whistle; the note is so high that it'll carry on its own just by existing. Perhaps try making sad puppy dog noises as high as you can and just exploring your upper range.

Out of curiosity, what's the vocal fry glissando trick?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

massive spider posted:

You've got a good voice but a kind of thin, shakey vibrato. It would sound better either totally straight or with more confident vibrato but thats not an easy thing to fix. Its SO slight to the point of almost being inperciptable, but theres a slight waver on "w'hoo", you sound pretty tensed up.

Greggster posted:

Singing is a whole lot of breathing and supporting from the stomach. Are you comfortable singing? As in, do you ever feel the need to hold back when you sing? Because it's really important to really let it go when singing, being relaxed.

What I hear on "who-oo" is a bit of a too-closed "oo" vowel, too. When you sing it, does the back of your mouth close up a bit? Like, your soft palate drops and the back of your tongue goes toward the roof of your mouth?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Aristophanes posted:

Why do you want whistle register? Are you trying to sing "Emotions" by Mariah Carey or something? I don't think everyone is able to access whistle, so you just might not physically be able to do it. But to give yourself the best chance you need to eliminate tension in your neck and jaw and keep your head in a neutral position (i.e no tilting downwards, slouching etc). In terms of musculature you should be feeling as little as possible, and whatever you do feel engage should be in your lower body anyway. Also don't try to push yourself up there, it should feel like you're using hardly any air, because it's just enough to phonate so high without blowing out. You don't need "power" in whistle; the note is so high that it'll carry on its own just by existing. Perhaps try making sad puppy dog noises as high as you can and just exploring your upper range.

Out of curiosity, what's the vocal fry glissando trick?
Just to be able to do it if I wanted to basically. It would be nice to have the option. No particular practical objective at the moment other than curiosity. I'm definitely not hurting for more range or anything like that. It's not a big deal if I can't or just can't figure it out. I wanted to give it a shot though. When I do puppy whimpers right now it winds up at the top of modal voice and I'm not really sure what to do differently to produce sounds that high (not counting falsetto). I feel like I'm just trying to stretch more instead of using a different kind of production when I target higher pitches without trying to do anything else.

I've read several people say they happened into it by doing a vocal fry and "sliding it up". I haven't heard anyone actually do said trick without some kind of significant break though, so I dunno how much that really counts as a glissando anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Thanks, everyone, for these replies:

Greggster posted:

I'm definitely not comfortable singing. I don't suffer from nerves or stage fright or anything but it isn't something I feel I can throw myself into without inhibition. It feels like something heavy I have to lift.

massive spider posted:

When I do vibrato, I'm not consciously thinking "I'll add some vibrato now". Whatever you hear in that recording is just what happens rather than a choice. Yes, to me the "who-oo" sounds tense, forced. Don't know how to fix it.

Ignoranus posted:

What I hear on "who-oo" is a bit of a too-closed "oo" vowel, too. When you sing it, does the back of your mouth close up a bit? Like, your soft palate drops and the back of your tongue goes toward the roof of your mouth?

I'm on the road at the moment (hence my slow reply) and won't be in a position to try singing again for a couple of weeks. But I'll definitely try it again and check this when I can.

• Locked thread