Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Cubone posted:

mst3k batted about .300 at the best of times. the problem is this goonish inability to admit that that's actually pretty rare and impressive, but neither perfect nor a reason to dismiss it completely. nobody has had a career BA over .400 in the history of the major league, so for a sci fi comedy show to have one of the 200 greatest all-time batting averages, especially given that it is not a person and can not hold a physical object like a baseball bat, let alone swing it, is pretty remarkable

is this true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Not really. Batting averages should be statistically adjusted for the quality of pitching faced.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This is gonna sound dumb but one thing i don't like about rifftrax is the number of jokes they make. it's like they can't just let the movie be funny itself sometime and have to make a quip about anything and everything.

It was nice in MST3k with joel when it was more like a bunch of people chilling out and watching a bad movie rather than machine gunning jokes at you in a practiced routine (i know its always been rehearesed like crazy)

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, they weren't always on; they just made sure to have a shitload of jokes so the misses just slide right off.

Somebody was complaining earlier that new MST3K is going to make jokes like "Hey, that extra looks like Kim Kardashian" as if the original didn't have a whole bunch of "Hey that extra looks like Lou Farigno" jokes.

Yeah, any given movie has like 5 "that character looks like this famous person!" jokes.

I don't think riffing on a bad movie is that hard for a comedy writer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

it's true and it's a hard show to get into for this reason if you've never watched it

there are plenty of boring episodes where the movie is so dull they can't do anything with it or the writing doesn't click or something

also you will probably either find the little skits in between the movie footage charmingly dumb/corny or really hate them

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

hemale in pain posted:

This is gonna sound dumb but one thing i don't like about rifftrax is the number of jokes they make. it's like they can't just let the movie be funny itself sometime and have to make a quip about anything and everything.

It was nice in MST3k with joel when it was more like a bunch of people chilling out and watching a bad movie rather than machine gunning jokes at you in a practiced routine (i know its always been rehearesed like crazy)

Some of those older movies were so bad, the gang only had to chuckle a bit when something stupid/lame came up on screen. It's tougher to do that with newer movies that don't always make those mistakes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Wicker Man posted:

Some of those older movies were so bad, the gang only had to chuckle a bit when something stupid/lame came up on screen. It's tougher to do that with newer movies that don't always make those mistakes.

They make those mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i55aIuDVHHc

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I don't really wanna donate if it's not comin back on the tee vee :\

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

The Rifftrax for the Miami Connection had some great moments where they didn't say anything and let the movie be itself :shrug:

In other news, the Rifftrax Live event of Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny is in theaters tonight if you're tired of being a shut-in nerd and would rather be with a bunch of nerds in a movie theater

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Yeah, any given movie has like 5 "that character looks like this famous person!" jokes.

I don't think riffing on a bad movie is that hard for a comedy writer.

It is when it's soul-suckingly boring like a lot of crap they had to work with. You could put youtube LPers in front of Puma Man or Mitchell and have a funny product at the end of the day because that movie is so enjoyable and bad and enjoyably bad. It is the perfect MST3K movie.

When you're dealing with poo poo like Monster-A-Go-Go or Santa Claus vs the Martians or Yucca Flats or like half of the Sandy Frank library there's not a lot to work with after a certain point. "This movie is really, really bad and everything about it is bad and boring and I want to die" only goes so far

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I just don't get why Joel would announce this and NOT star in it. Makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wicker Man posted:

I would say the crappy lowest common denominator movies today are more calculated and boring than the ones of yesteryear, yeah

they don't tend to make outrageously misguided mistakes anymore on like a "movie getting a wide theater release" level

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Remulak posted:

I just don't get why Joel would announce this and NOT star in it. Makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

Because he's an old gently caress. Also I'd imagine they'd want someone new to appeal to a new audience. The people turned off by OMG NEW HOST NEW BIT VOICES either aren't old fans, because the whole cast changed throughout the original one, or they're the worst kind of dipshits who nothing will ever please so why bother trying to please them?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

it's true and it's a hard show to get into for this reason if you've never watched it

there are plenty of boring episodes where the movie is so dull they can't do anything with it or the writing doesn't click or something

also you will probably either find the little skits in between the movie footage charmingly dumb/corny or really hate them

I feel like the bad episodes get easier to watch as you've seen more and more of the show. You start to just enjoy the people and the atmosphere even when they're not killing it.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I like it when Tom Servo sings. Is it going to be the same Tom Servo? I thought he hated Joel.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

RanchoRube posted:

I like it when Tom Servo sings. Is it going to be the same Tom Servo? I thought he hated Joel.

Servo was voiced by Kevin Murphy, who is working at Rifftrax. He isn't involved in the new MST3k, so the voice actor is someone different.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think he hates Joel though.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

They don't follow each other on twitter though. :ohdear:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny is one of the most special things to witness.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Didn't Joel leave because he was clashing with the scifi channel executives, and not with any of the other cast/crewmembers...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Joel left in the Comedy Central days because he hates Jim Mallon afaik.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Remember TV Wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lD1xjtGYE

I'd toss a few bucks to see him try that again.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

RanchoRube posted:

It's a new servo and new crow, but the new servo can sing.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

is it the guys from the pitch video or were those placeholders

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I feel like this is important, yeah

Breadallelogram posted:

I feel like the bad episodes get easier to watch as you've seen more and more of the show. You start to just enjoy the people and the atmosphere even when they're not killing it.

I've found this happened for me, but might not for everyone else that tries to watch the show

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Joel is bad...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

No.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

:stare:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

what the h*ck

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Joel is one bad mother fucker.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I know we like to "joke" around here but you've really crossed the line this time

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
Funny Or Die released a video of the bots (with their new voices) auditioning for the role of BB-8 in Star Wars:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3a7ff86b6e/leaked-star-wars-auditions-with-the-bots-from-mst3k

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RanchoRube posted:

Remember TV Wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lD1xjtGYE

I'd toss a few bucks to see him try that again.

This reminds me of like really old cheaply-produced kid's shows from the 60's

I would watch this if it were a show

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That Robot posted:

Futurama's resurrection was disappointing, albeit with some noticeable exceptions like The Late Philip J Fry

Family Guy's return was just lovely titties

futurama's resurrection was the exact same quality as before. futurama itself just doesn't stand up to the test of time

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Randumb Thots posted:

Funny Or Die released a video of the bots (with their new voices) auditioning for the role of BB-8 in Star Wars:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3a7ff86b6e/leaked-star-wars-auditions-with-the-bots-from-mst3k

Crow sounds pretty close to Trace. The new Servo is weird to see/hear.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Here's just a sample of some of the good stuff classic MST3K does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFiB3e3_J4

And it's true how the old show dates itself with popculture references of that time. Especially since most of the crew were born in the 70's.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Joel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0c2Xd1mp5U

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

I haven't heard his natural speaking voice since mst3k, but it seems like it shouldn't be necessary for him to make up a voice for that character. Assuming that isn't his natural speaking voice.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Hearing the new voices kinda makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I'm ok with Crow. I'm not ok with Servo.

• Locked thread