Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
washwithlikecolors
Aug 17, 2015

I suppose it's very nice
What kind of person are you trying to reach with these posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's more of a recruitment technique

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if all this mass shooting is getting to your psyche, just keep in mind that about 3.5 times as many gun owners shoot themselves as shoot other people, so there is still hope in the world

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

LGD posted:

but I'm still struggling to see how invoking them here, on the very barest of evidence, isn't blaming the victims for what happened, and offering what is essentially a more sophisticated version of the "hooker heels, low morals, and bad lifestyle" defense because it lets people in this thread deal with the tragedy by claiming a moral high ground on behalf of an oppressed minority

I don't know, but I feel like asserting that anyone attempting to understand why a shooter did what he did is "victim blaming" (and therefore that their speculations and assertions are irrelevant and should be ignored, which D&D tends to do in those cases) is counterproductive if your goal is to reduce the incidence of these sorts of events, especially in a world where the proximate cause for their high incidence (easy availability of firearms) has a solution that is politically intractable for the foreseeable future leaving the removal of these motivations to be the only way to stop them.

Knowing why Eliot Rodger did what he did doesn't mean you have to placate him and let him get pity hosed to stop it, but it does let you determine what morally correct actions WILL work. Focusing on Islamophobia does likewise.

Of course as I wrote this, I realize that this particular viewpoint removes agency from the shooter and is thus victim blaming too so I guess you're right: we should never consider why shooters kill as the failing is solely their own!

Guess all we can do is wage war against radical Islam!

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 5, 2015

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

It's more of a recruitment technique

its true, I'm trying to lead people down the dark path to Conservatism by getting them to introspective examine their ideological biases and worry about political tribalism and paternalistic bigotry

if you get someone doubting the importance or relevance of speculative "islamophobia" on the part of the victims you've basically got yourself a new Trump voter

edit:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't know, but I feel like asserting that anyone attempting to understand why a shooter did what he did is "victim blaming" (and therefore that their speculations and assertions are irrelevant and should be ignored, which D&D tends to do in those cases) is counterproductive if your goal is to reduce the incidence of these sorts of events, especially in a world where the proximate cause for their high incidence (easy availability of firearms) has a solution that is politically intractable for the foreseeable future leaving the removal of these motivations to be the only way to stop them.

Knowing why Eliot Rodger did what he did doesn't mean you have to placate him and let him get pity hosed to stop it, but it does let you determine what morally correct actions WILL work. Focusing on Islamophobia does likewise.

Of course as I wrote this, I realize that this particular viewpoint removes agency from the shooter and is thus victim blaming too so I guess you're right: we should never consider why shooters kill as the failing is solely their own!

Who said their motivations were irrelevant? Terrorism is hardly an ideological neutral act, and we obviously have an intense social interest in preventing future incidences of terrorism. However context matters here, and in the case of this series of posts (including your original one) we were talking about a specific situation involving specific individuals for which we have very few details. Which were being used to imagine scenarios where someone expressing bad opinions led to a "chain of events" that resulted in an office getting shot up (again note how passive these descriptions are). The point is we don't currently know the details or motivations, but despite that people seem quite happy to embrace a ready-made "morally correct" solution that involves sympathetic treatment on the part of a minority the killer belongs to, based on the notion that if people like him were treated better they wouldn't be inspired to kill offices full of people because they heard mean words. Treating minorities well is laudable in and of itself, and increased social harmony should self-evidently lead to reduced violence, but assuming these killers lashed out because they must naturally have faced ill-treatment at the hands of the specific people involved is wrong. The point isn't that we can't use this incident to have a dialogue about better social integration of Muslims into Western society, it's that you can't have that conversation productively if we're starting from the premise that difficulties the killers may have faced in their private lives offers implicit justification for their actions.

Maybe the girl wouldn't have been raped if she hadn't dressed so provocatively and said such offensive things, but we're extremely unsympathetic to that argument for good reasons and you're essentially making that same argument without even knowing the (metaphorical) clothes she was wearing, or what was said because you're pretty sure that most broads are mouthy teases (islamophobic bigots).

LGD fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 5, 2015

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011
maybe if you continue flailing around while crying 'but islamophobia is bad' you'll be able to drown out his point

washwithlikecolors
Aug 17, 2015

I suppose it's very nice
Maybe someone would listen if he understood that beyond the paleness has nothing to do with it. :shrug:

e: or if he didn't use misinformed rape similes

washwithlikecolors fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 5, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

: we should never consider why shooters kill as the failing is solely their own!

Thing is, there will always be some resentment in the society. On a personal scale, on a societal scale. And funnily enough, eliminating the sources of some resentment (e.g. sexism, Islamophobia) can lead to new ones (gamersgate, white right-wing militia). The one thing that cuts through both of these is removing the means of effective aggression. (And body armour.)

On the other hand... one cool thing after the Paris attacks was the 'we stand with the Muslims' twitter thing. Something like this could be used right now in the US.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

washwithlikecolors posted:

Maybe someone would listen if he understood that beyond the paleness has nothing to do with it. :shrug:

e: or if he didn't use misinformed rape similes

Maybe I'd listen if someone gave an actual counter argument (to that point anyhow, I sometimes feel like I'm slighting ComradeCosmonots genuine engagement with my argument by omission- sorry if I've ever given that impression). People keep implying the comparisons I'm making are unworthy of consideration without actually stating reasons why.

They're admittedly deliberately provacative comparisons because I want people to think about the arguments they're making, but there actually is an intended point to them- i.e. the rape example seems useful both because it's the most well known and clear cut example of victim blaming, and the I think there is an actual parallel to be made with the "they were only reacting naturally to the circumstances" justification explanation of the crime in question. I mean fundamentally to sustain that logic, you need to cast the victim as a person who was so very Bad that they provoked their attacker beyond reason, and consequently had it coming. It requires you to privilege the entitlement of the attacker above the basic human dignity of the victim. It's easy to see and dismiss when done crudely to someone you're inclined to sympathize with, but harder when it's done "well" against people you're inclined to dislike. Yet I'd hope at least some people have seen enough examples of this being done to people who were "no angels" to that they can recognize the problems with the proffered "explanations" of the motivations involved.

LGD fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 5, 2015

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

If I said "parents shake their babies to death sometimes because they won't stop crying and it makes the parents snap", does that mean I'm victim blaming the baby for crying?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Horking Delight posted:

If I said "parents shake their babies to death sometimes because they won't stop crying and it makes the parents snap", does that mean I'm victim blaming the baby for crying?

Asking babies not to cry is not a realistic proposal. Asking racists to stop being racist is.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan Republican senator goes full Charles Murray on why some children fail in school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBf-9PJds7M

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
In the video it looks like he's reading from a report that claims that one of the reasons some schools were failing is that they are predominately non-white.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Regarding mass shootings in the US: has there been much work done looking at the relationship between a culture which exalts individualism (to a fault) and the prevalence of narcissistic injury/rage? I'm asking for a friend.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ColdPie posted:

Asking babies not to cry is not a realistic proposal. Asking racists to stop being racist is.

Great, let's have a mass shooting whenever some people have a Middle East argument

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

LGD posted:

Maybe I'd listen if someone gave an actual counter argument (to that point anyhow, I sometimes feel like I'm slighting ComradeCosmonots genuine engagement with my argument by omission- sorry if I've ever given that impression). People keep implying the comparisons I'm making are unworthy of consideration without actually stating reasons why.

They're admittedly deliberately provacative comparisons because I want people to think about the arguments they're making, but there actually is an intended point to them- i.e. the rape example seems useful both because it's the most well known and clear cut example of victim blaming, and the I think there is an actual parallel to be made with the "they were only reacting naturally to the circumstances" justification explanation of the crime in question. I mean fundamentally to sustain that logic, you need to cast the victim as a person who was so very Bad that they provoked their attacker beyond reason, and consequently had it coming. It requires you to privilege the entitlement of the attacker above the basic human dignity of the victim. It's easy to see and dismiss when done crudely to someone you're inclined to sympathize with, but harder when it's done "well" against people you're inclined to dislike. Yet I'd hope at least some people have seen enough examples of this being done to people who were "no angels" to that they can recognize the problems with the proffered "explanations" of the motivations involved.

First, I stop reading your posts whenever you accuse someone of "justifying mass murder." Stop saying incredibly stupid things and perhaps you'll get responses to whatever real point you're trying to make.

Second, when an unexplainable act occurs, it makes sense to break down why it happened to try to understand it, which can help in making changes to prevent it from happening again. First you find the explanations for why the action occurred, then you figure out what you can change, within our legal and social framework, to prevent it happening again. So let's break this down. What would convince a family with a young child that going on a killing spree is the best way to spend the rest of their now-short lives?

1) Presumably they had sincere belief in their chosen sky wizard. Outside influences like daesh may have convinced them that defending this sky wizard's honor is worth their lives.

2) They had easy access to weapons allowing them to commit mass murder trivially.

3) It's well-known that Muslims are a persecuted minority by much of the US.

4) We have evidence that his workplace was hostile to his chosen sky wizard, and apparently he left the party the previous day in a bad mood. Maybe yet another argument about his sky wizard had occurred, and this with the other factors was enough to make him snap in that particular manner on that particular day.

So suppose all this is true. Maybe it isn't! I'm speculating given the evidence that I have. Feel free to disagree. Maybe there are other factors! Feel free to propose some and your suggested solutions. But suppose it is true. What can we do to prevent it from happening again? Maybe if we had one fewer factor, the guy would not have snapped. What can we do to remove one or more of these factors from people who find themselves in a similar situation in the future?

1) Addressing religious radicalism is hard. For better or worse, the US treats religion as untouchable. Probably people reading this very post were offended that I said "sky wizard." Reducing the impact of 2000 year old fairy tales on peoples' lives is going to be a long, long process and may never happen. Maybe work could be done here, but I don't think there's any meaningful short-term action we can take to stop this, especially religious extremism abroad.

2) Preventing easy access to weapons designed for mass murder may have prevented this from occurring, but gun control in the US is a dead end, so nevermind.

3) Ah, here we hit on something we can work with. We have strong evidence that we can reduce race- and religion-based persecution in relatively short terms. 1950s-style racism is no longer acceptable in 2000. We have lots of black business leaders, politicians, and a black president. The supreme court declared racism has ended (this one was a joke). Gay marriage is legal nation-wide. Perhaps if the killers felt that Muslims were welcome members of the US, they wouldn't have chosen to go on a murder spree.

4) The killers targeted his workplace, which suggests body count was not their main goal. The evidence is that something at his work caused them to snap. We also have evidence that at least one coworker had strong anti-Muslim opinions and was not shy of expressing them. Maybe if HR had taken a pro-active response to the harassment, or if his other coworkers had defended his right to exist, he would not have chosen to execute the people he'd worked with for several years. Maybe if we had stronger employee protections, or a stronger social safety net, he would have felt OK with leaving the toxic environment to work someplace else (but see also factor 3, above).

None of this is victim blaming. I'm trying to find an explanation for why they chose to go on a killing spree, and how we can prevent it happening again. Perhaps you believe there are additional factors. What are they? What can we do to reduce those factors in the future? "Well, he should've just dealt with those issues in a more rational way" isn't an answer, because he didn't. What would you have changed in the lives of these people to make them not come to the decision they did?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Great, let's have a mass shooting whenever some people have a Middle East argument

This is a stupid idea. Why would you suggest it?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

pathetic little tramp posted:

As soon as I saw the picture of the super-Jewish dude as one of the victims, I just knew that must have been the powder.

Also jeet christ at Faarooq pretty literally doing the "ISLAM IS A PEACEFUL RELIGION DAMMIT, LOOK HOW PEACEFUL IT IS *guns down entire Christmas party*" gambit.

Just to be clear, messianic jews aren't super-jewish dudes. They're a christian variant, that has decided that they're not christians, they're jews with the extra love of Jesus Christ. Dates back to the 60s, a lot of russian jews came over without any knowledge of their religion, and certain evangelicals pitched Christianity to them as 'judiasm except more and better!' Some people believe it, but the leadership of it - jews for jesus and all that, tend to be evangelicals that 'converted' rather than of jewish faith.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ColdPie posted:

This is a stupid idea. Why would you suggest it?

You guys keep trying to say that you're just trying to find an explanation for the killing- which is fine, but a lot of the posts here do not come off that way at all, and are kind of giving me mental whiplash to the PP shooting last week when Twitter was clogged with right wing people saying some variation of "yes, this was a tragedy, but planned parenthood is resposible for much more death than these few people".

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You guys keep trying to say that you're just trying to find an explanation for the killing- which is fine, but a lot of the posts here do not come off that way at all, and are kind of giving me mental whiplash to the PP shooting last week when Twitter was clogged with right wing people saying some variation of "yes, this was a tragedy, but planned parenthood is resposible for much more death than these few people".

Why do you think saying stupid things is an effective way to make your argument?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ColdPie posted:

Why do you think saying stupid things is an effective way to make your argument?

Because people in this thread (and other people, for that matter) for some reason keep insinuating that it's okay to shoot a bunch of people over a political disagreement, a sentiment that I have read multiple times over the last two weeks which is kind of creepy?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Because people in this thread (and other people, for that matter) for some reason keep insinuating that it's okay to shoot a bunch of people over a political disagreement

No they don't.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Because people in this thread (and other people, for that matter) for some reason keep insinuating that it's okay to shoot a bunch of people over a political disagreement, a sentiment that I have read multiple times over the last two weeks which is kind of creepy?

I don't think that anyone here is saying it is okay to shoot a bunch of people. I think that people are trying to figure out what caused the event to see if anything is correctable to prevent future occurrences.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

No, your just making up bullshit to fantasize about something that isn't real. Who the gently caress are you talking to? Link some posts that support your bullshit.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Pohl posted:

No, your just making up bullshit to fantasize about something that isn't real. Who the gently caress are you talking to? Link some posts that support your bullshit.

Toshimo posted:

I don't even get what you are arguing.

It's pretty simple.

Murder isn't ok.

Neither is the fact that we, as a county, are persecuting a portion of the population.

When people get mercilessly attacked at home, at work, in the news, by the politicians that supposedly represent them, yeah, the most unhinged and desperate are going to turn to violence.

So maybe everyone should be less lovely to each other as a start. Maybe this rear end in a top hat who was picking fights on Facebook and while IN THE OFFICE WHILE OTHERS LISTENED ON THE PHONE shouldn't have done that. I'm not suggesting in the slightest that we can point at him and pin it on him. I'm just saying maybe EVERYONE BEING lovely SHOULD TONE DOWN THEIR RHETORIC. Not because it will prevent incidents like this, it probably won't. But because maybe we should just not be lovely to each other.

And literally a bunch of quotes on the same page that I'm not going to go back and spoon feed you

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

And literally a bunch of quotes on the same page that I'm not going to go back and spoon feed you

That post never said it was ok. Wtf are you talking about.
That post is arguing that people should be nice to each other and that this type of thing is bad... seriously, learn how to read.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
"Sky wizard"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are looking for someone to say "terrorism" is justified I will say it can be depending on the definition of terrorism.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Pohl posted:

That post never said it was ok. Wtf are you talking about.
That post is arguing that people should be nice to each other and that this type of thing is bad... seriously, learn how to read.

There were other posts on that page that led up to it that pretty much implied that, along the lines of "yes, this shooting was a tragedy, but...(insert either the shooter was bullied/upset by baby killing/upset about the Middle East/ etc)

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

euphronius posted:

If you are looking for someone to say "terrorism" is justified I will say it can be depending on the definition of terrorism.

Do you think that it was justified in this, the planned parenthood, or the killdozer case?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you think that it was justified in this, the planned parenthood, or the killdozer case?

No, no. What is the killdozer case.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Has anything important happened in Congress this month? gently caress if I'm sifting through 86 pages of "Are guns/Muslims bad?"

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

euphronius posted:

Shameful

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

killdozer is a hero to the people

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

euphronius posted:

dude got hella mad over a zoning dispute and turned a bulldozer into a tank that he unleashed on the town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

they shot more than 200 rounds of ammo at it and didn't make a scratch

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

There were other posts on that page that led up to it that pretty much implied that, along the lines of "yes, this shooting was a tragedy, but...(insert either the shooter was bullied/upset by baby killing/upset about the Middle East/ etc)

I think you are just full of poo poo.
If you can't provide proof... err sorry, "spoon feed" me the posts in question, then I'm just gonna think you are full of poo poo. Basically, you are full of poo poo and talking out of your rear end.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't think people are trying to do that, but I can kind of see what you're getting at. Everyone isn't trying to justify why he did what he did, they're trying to rationalize what might go through the mind of a crazy person to rationalize it, or think of a way it might have been prevented. Like, maybe if someone had intervened and told the one coworker to drop his poo poo talking Islam, maybe it wouldn't have come to a head that day. Was it that guys fault? gently caress no, but in the mind of a crazy person it might have been the last straw that maybe could have been put off in time to catch on to what the shooters were planning.

Basically everyone is trying to warp their minds around this and nobody is trying to justify it, but again I can kind of see what you mean even though I don't think you're correct in your assumptions.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

A better analog is probably "people saying 'the provocative edited videos that paint PP as selling baby parts for profit may have contributed to this situation by creating an atmosphere of dangerous rhetoric both on the national and personal stages, and we should tread carefully when advancing said rhetoric, particularly when it's basis in fact is lacking.'" This is a better analog for two main reasons:
  • It speaks to how environmental factors in society are contributory causes.
  • It doesn't say anything about comparative responsibility.
I don't remember seeing anyone say people who discriminate and harass Muslims are more responsible for the actions of the shooters than the shooters are.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Last time I saw this much cherry picking and creative interpretation of the written word was when a firebrand preacher was accusing the freshmen of being pawns of Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Pohl posted:

I think you are just full of poo poo.
If you can't provide proof... err sorry, "spoon feed" me the posts in question, then I'm just gonna think you are full of poo poo. Basically, you are full of poo poo and talking out of your rear end.

Toshimo posted:

When the public narrative of the entire country you live in has shifted to an indictment of a significant portion of its populace based on the color of their skin and the sky wizard they choose to pray to, to the point where constant harassment and hate speech are condoned by multiple people running for the highest office in the land AND THEY ARE THE FRONTRUNNERS OF A MAJOR PARTY maybe it's a bit beyond HR?

• Locked thread