Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is going to lift the MLS Cup come December
This poll is closed.
Not Mike Petke 5 4.95%
Michel's Stupid Haircut 3 2.97%
A Very Angry Danish Guy 7 6.93%
Some Dudes in Hardhats in a B-Boy Pose 12 11.88%
Nat Borchers' Beard 17 16.83%
Sigi Schmid's Beer Belly 20 19.80%
A Team Effort Because There Are 11 Pla....Just Kidding, Didier Drogba 5 4.95%
The Racoons That Live in RFK Stadium 8 7.92%
Midseason Acquisitions Stealing Time from Talented Youngsters 4 3.96%
Mexico's Favorite American, San Zusi 2 1.98%
gently caress Charlie Davies 8 7.92%
Sebastian Giovinco...Wait, Can He Even Wrap His Arms Around That Thing? 10 9.90%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

They'll be doing routine maintenance on servers in the streets of Portland tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
They're gonna run out of infused liquors and mason jars.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Yes, but I'd also contend that spending years yelling "Porter out" and insisting that his team is bad when, in fact, all the moves were correct and his coaching was actually good entitles people to give him endless poo poo

Like, at least admit you were wrong and possibly full of poo poo
Let us bow to the dude who finished 4th or 5th and won an asinine knockout format postseason. get this guy in the soccer hall of fame asap. I'll be bouncing my grandkids on my knee telling them of the time when i looked at espnfc.com on my phone after a seahawks game and saw Portland Timbers won the title. They'll be celebrating in Tualatin trailer parks tonight.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

highme posted:

It was 2 posts on a PK in a shoot out that opened up this alternate reality where we (the Portland Timbers Football Club) eventually became the champions of the league
I think I remember one of the fox commentators going on about title runs needing incredible luck or something like "if Portland goes on to win, they will look back at events like this and call it destiny"

you're drat fuckin right

I have no thoughts on the game. I think I could tell you more about the possession and strategy of liverpool game this morning that I barely watched than I could about this one that I was glued to - the entire second half was nerve-wracking as a Timbers fan and was the most intense scoreless half I think I've ever watched on TV, and it felt like it was super open with lots of opportunities on both ends, but then I saw after the game I guess the Crew only had one shot on goal? I feel like that can't be right, but I also don't recall Kwarasey being tested either, just a ton of stuff like that last ball in that was overhit but if it were a touch lighter would have been really dangerous. Clark also saving that Borchers header - I think the entire bar thought it was in.

also all the teams I follow and support never win poo poo so uhh being from Portland:

:smugdog:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

Let us bow to the dude who finished 4th or 5th and won an asinine knockout format postseason. get this guy in the soccer hall of fame asap. I'll be bouncing my grandkids on my knee telling them of the time when i looked at espnfc.com on my phone after a seahawks game and saw Portland Timbers won the title. They'll be celebrating in Tualatin trailer parks tonight.

Yes, but you were wrong and your team won the title with superior players and coaching

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

African AIDS cum posted:

They'll be celebrating in Tualatin trailer parks tonight.

Yes we will. And tomorrow your dad will still be disappointed in you.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

African AIDS cum posted:

asinine knockout format postseason
Post season should be best of seven match-ups involving no fewer than 75% of the league. It's the American way.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

porkface posted:

Post season should be best of seven match-ups involving no fewer than 75% of the league. It's the American way.

I look forward to next year when everyone except Colorado and NYCFC get playoff spots. Also, an all star game where 30 players have to miss the game immediately afterwards.

highme
May 25, 2001

I'm going to let y'all in on a secret. Tom is as irrelevant tonight after we won things as he was in the past.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

highme posted:

I'm going to let y'all in on a secret. Tom is as irrelevant tonight after we won things as he was in the past.

Then stop talking about him

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

highme posted:

Yes we will. And tomorrow your dad will still be disappointed in you.

You are an extremely weird guy please don't post about me again thank

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Yes, but you were wrong and your team won the title with superior players and coaching
Agree to disagree

highme
May 25, 2001

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Then stop talking about him

TBF, Tom is still more relevant to the discussion of MLS Cup champion than Toronto and New York Red Bull.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

highme posted:

TBF, Tom is still more relevant to the discussion of MLS Cup champion than Toronto and New York Red Bull.

You seem really obsessed

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Soccer is done for the year, please close thread as all teams are now in the loser thread

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Soccer is done for the year, please close thread as all teams are now in the loser thread

Do we have a winner thread? Because I don't know if you saw, but The Timbers are winners and can post in the winners thread.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
OK, try it.

edit: vvv Well I thought it was funny. :(

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 7, 2015

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Lol you big baby, let them have their fun. This thread can be closed when the offseason thread goes up. Congratulations Timbers fans.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

highme posted:

It's the same supporters group/internet troll/joey log or whatever drama that your poo poo team insists on discussing instead of anything else, including the actual game

You literally just won the MLS cup and instead of talking about what happened in the match you're gloating about owning some internet guy. What is wrong with you.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm glad as hell I picked the Timbers to plastic for

highme
May 25, 2001

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

It's the same supporters group/internet troll/joey log or whatever drama that your poo poo team insists on discussing instead of anything else, including the actual game

There has been some dumb posting in the past 2 weeks from Portland people, I'll give you that. But you have been as bad and your team barely made the playoffs. gently caress you, go buy more players so you can lose to Montreal again. Honestly, you don't deserve Giovinco.

whypick1 posted:

OK, try it.

edit: vvv Well I thought it was funny. :(

Welcome to your nightmare.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Congratulations to you and your team. :) Now gently caress off back to Games

Hey, I post about 'films' and 'Millennials', too :bigtran:

Anyways, I'll cherish our microtransgression mini-rivalry as long as I draw breath. Farewell, sweet prince.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

They're gonna run out of infused liquors and mason jars.

Not possible.

mushi posted:

I think I remember one of the fox commentators going on about title runs needing incredible luck or something like "if Portland goes on to win, they will look back at events like this and call it destiny"

you're drat fuckin right

I have no thoughts on the game. I think I could tell you more about the possession and strategy of liverpool game this morning that I barely watched than I could about this one that I was glued to - the entire second half was nerve-wracking as a Timbers fan and was the most intense scoreless half I think I've ever watched on TV, and it felt like it was super open with lots of opportunities on both ends, but then I saw after the game I guess the Crew only had one shot on goal? I feel like that can't be right, but I also don't recall Kwarasey being tested either, just a ton of stuff like that last ball in that was overhit but if it were a touch lighter would have been really dangerous. Clark also saving that Borchers header - I think the entire bar thought it was in.

also all the teams I follow and support never win poo poo so uhh being from Portland:

:smugdog:

Pretty much how I feel. Everything seems easy and benign unless you were watching all the games where they worked their asses off to earn every inch.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Except 2 months til preseason again, which are basically throwaway months that dont matter

Gigi Galli posted:

Lol you big baby, let them have their fun. This thread can be closed when the offseason thread goes up. Congratulations Timbers fans.

You are the best mod.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

highme posted:

Dear folks, Portland Timbers are the champions of league. gently caress you if you disagree.

I can't even be mad, as a fan of another unpopular team. Though at least it's more a sense of apathy. :smith:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

highme posted:

There has been some dumb posting in the past 2 weeks from Portland people, I'll give you that. But you have been as bad and your team barely made the playoffs. gently caress you, go buy more players so you can lose to Montreal again. Honestly, you don't deserve Giovinco.

Welcome to your nightmare.

Psst, let me give you a bit of advice as the fan of a crap team that won the Cup: just say "What's that, I can't hear you from behind this big trophy! :smug:"

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Fucitol posted:

bit rude this

i would have thought the laid-back 'tudes of the pnw would be inclusive of everyone

opinions?

erryone can eat my entire rear end because holy poo poo the timbers the Portland loving garbage timbers WON. THE. CUP.

highme
May 25, 2001

the escape goat posted:

erryone can eat my entire rear end because holy poo poo the timbers the Portland loving garbage timbers WON. THE. CUP.

that whole rear end, eat it shitlords

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Fucitol posted:

bit rude this

i would have thought the laid-back 'tudes of the pnw would be inclusive of everyone

opinions?

The PNW's laid-backedness is only a facade over a loathing of everything that is only expressed through the most passive of aggressions.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

foobardog posted:

The PNW's laid-backedness is only a facade over a loathing of everything that is only expressed through the most passive of aggressions.

this guy gets it

highme posted:

It was 2 posts on a PK in a shoot out that opened up this alternate reality where we (the Portland Timbers Football Club) eventually became the champions of the league.

Dearest friends from Seattle: gently caress you. We won.
Dearest friends from the east coast: gently caress you, we won.

Dearest shitbirds from Toronto & San Jose: gently caress you, you're really not all that important, and we won.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

foobardog posted:

Everything is loathsome, therefore loathed.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

This day has come much sooner than i ever hoped!

highme
May 25, 2001

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

This day has come much sooner than i ever hoped!

Never thought it would come.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

the escape goat posted:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

foobardog posted:

Yes, the PNW is very midwestern in this sense. The nice thing about moving east was that people will actually tell others to shut the hell up in theaters, instead of sighing and glaring impotently or whatever.

Anyway, congrats Portland, I loathe your coach, owner, and most of your fans, but what I think doesn't matter because you're the champs.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
MLS playoffs are a joke they might as well just let every team in and then we can determine who's able to luck into 3 wins as the best team. Maybe the game getting a 0.2 rating will help to do away with this tripe

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

fat greasy puto posted:

MLS playoffs are a joke they might as well just let every team in and then we can determine who's able to luck into 3 wins as the best team. Maybe the game getting a 0.2 rating will help to do away with this tripe

I do wonder if someday we'll move more toward the Shield as the top trophy and look back on playoff championships in the same way that we look back on titles from the 12 team no-tie era. I know a United fan who loves lording those over other people, and I don't have the heart to tell him how little I give a poo poo.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
Local Area Expansion Team Fan Incapable Of Expressing How Little He Cares About Trophy His Team Hasn't Won

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I do wonder if someday we'll move more toward the Shield as the top trophy and look back on playoff championships in the same way that we look back on titles from the 12 team no-tie era. I know a United fan who loves lording those over other people, and I don't have the heart to tell him how little I give a poo poo.

Hopefully they just fix the scheduling and make the shield the top prize. It would be a better indicator of season long form than the current playoff system

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

i'm not sure that portland has really won a championship
where is the season long form trophy, barack oporter?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Not invalidating anything Portland accomplished because it's still tough to get through the playoffs, would just prefer a better system is all

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Nah, I'm just riffing. Portland did A Thing. I just have to hope Seattle will do much more in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

It's like we're the Soviet Union in the space race. :gbsmith:

• Locked thread