Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I like the music but I'm still poo poo at the game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Agent355 posted:

Episode 7 - Youtube

drat Cadence is so freaking easy.

After 18 hours I finally beat the game as Cadence and unlocked Melody. Although I think Zone 4 was the most frustrating, in terms of "how long did it take me to deal with it" Zone 2 was actually the hardest zone for me.

I'm finally starting to get the hang of Melody after a few runs. She's pretty great.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

You called Melody by the wrong name for the entire episode, and also here, but used the correct name for Cadence when you started

It's a double bluff.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'd like to thank this thread for making me aware of Eldritch.

And if anyone else wants it it's currently on some ridiculous discount on Humble Store.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I posted my Renowed Explorers LP in the main Roguelike thread because someone was talking about it, but this is the actual place I should put it, so:

Hito Plays Renowned Explorers: International Society 1

Sorry for slow fading on the Invisible Inc. LP. I can guarantee the Renowned Explorers one will hit a conclusion, one way or the other!

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
RE looks great, yr format seems good as well. Crank em out!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

New Sproggiwood update, see you next month! (joking...I hope :ohdear:)

Part 5 - The Deadly Path to Hakkipunki

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

hito posted:

I posted my Renowed Explorers LP in the main Roguelike thread because someone was talking about it, but this is the actual place I should put it, so:

Hito Plays Renowned Explorers: International Society 1

Sorry for slow fading on the Invisible Inc. LP. I can guarantee the Renowned Explorers one will hit a conclusion, one way or the other!

Wow, I had not even heard about this game. Or I'd confused it with the other vaguely victorian-themed exploration roguelike title. I guess another run with a different encounter strategy will make it click for me but it already looks fascinating.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Thanks for the kind words! Here's part two.

Hito Plays Renowned Explorers: International Society - 2

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

hito posted:

Thanks for the kind words! Here's part two.

Hito Plays Renowned Explorers: International Society - 2

To answer your confusion about your sailor: Jan Piet is a dutch name.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 21, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Also, from your first video, they did mean "barrel" instead of "monkey" when the blue monkey was bullying them because they were using it to refer to a group of monkeys. A barrel of monkeys.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Renowned Explorers does look like a nice game. Plenty of replayability as well it looks like due to the number of ways there are to tackle things. Your focus was on improving your party through money but I presume focusing on research or renown could have gotten you significant buffs that way (though it does look like you got basically everything you needed renown wise).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE Looks neat but it feels really "gamey" if that makes sense, with the tokens and whatnot, as if the only advantage to it being on a computer is the procedurally generated maps, and that otherwise it might as well be a boardgame.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Scaramouche posted:

RE Looks neat but it feels really "gamey" if that makes sense, with the tokens and whatnot, as if the only advantage to it being on a computer is the procedurally generated maps, and that otherwise it might as well be a boardgame.

Personally, I really appreciate that aspect of the design; it makes the rewards much more transparent, and makes it clear exactly how and how much you boost up the rewards as the game progresses. Then again, I really enjoy board games.

It wouldn't make a great board game just based on how complex the math gets though. I feel like it's in a nice sweet spot where the math is easy to understand, but that there's enough crap going on to provide complexity and to appreciate that a computer is doing the math for you.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

The exciting conclusion!

Hito Plays Renowned Explorers: International Society - 3

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Floodkiller posted:

New Sproggiwood update, see you next month! (joking...I hope :ohdear:)

Part 5 - The Deadly Path to Hakkipunki

This game is a meatgrinder. An adorable, adorable meatgrinder.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
On Savage difficulty yeah. Your best bet is to load up on levelling your experience gains and rushing down to the bottom so you aren't faced with an ever increasing tide of black jelly.

Also Floodkiller, you had a scroll of fireball but died before using it. For shame. D:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

On Savage difficulty yeah. Your best bet is to load up on levelling your experience gains and rushing down to the bottom so you aren't faced with an ever increasing tide of black jelly.

Also Floodkiller, you had a scroll of fireball but died before using it. For shame. D:

There were so many ways I could have escaped from that, but I was basically playing on fumes at that point after having played the previous level for 2 hours straight trying to beat it. The first three levels really instill a false sense of confidence, then Ghostfen runs up and kicks you in the nuts PS this is going to get worse before I learn how to actually play the game properly

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yeah, this is an interesting little system, and thanks for showing off a success run. It felt like much less of a ridiculous boss encounter than the end of, say, FTL or Ironcast, but still noticeable all the same. Are there options to play longer, more challenging versions and do more research, or is 5 missions all you get?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Won't have time this weekend, but if nobody does gets to it first then I'll probably make a very short series of videos on Sublevel Zero. It's a nifty looking Descent-clone with algorithmic levels.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

More Sproggiwood, and not (completely) a month later this time!

Part 6 - Mr. Creepy's Wild Ride

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

More Sproggiwood, and not (completely) a month later this time!

Part 6 - Mr. Creepy's Wild Ride

Wow, well done. I never liked the thief all that much because of its lack of AoE attacks, but I wasn't playing on Savage and thus could reliably afford to clear levels.

By the way, I seem to recall those Scrolls of Wonder can really gently caress over a run sometimes. Be careful with 'em!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

If all of my years of gaming have taught me anything, it's that anything called "of Wonder" is a bad idea to mess around with.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
PRO-STRATS, as soon as you find the flame weapon (the one that shoots out a column) for your class you buy that pronto. It's ridiculously cheap and adds so much more damage potential to your hits from the very start. Frost weapons are poo poo as you have just demonstrated. And the others are too expensive to really use when you're playing normally.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Biting Frost was amazingly overpowered for a while but freeze effects got nerfed hard.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

So, I may have accidentally deleted the remainder of my Sproggiwood recordings, and I didn't notice until today. It was a long enough period of time that I've been unable to restore them :saddowns:

I'm probably not going to play through it again to re-record the remainder of the game (it wouldn't really be blind anymore, and I kind of don't want to start over again with it). To summarize what I lost, the rest of the playthrough was me bashing my head on the sixth area for a while (there are spiders that teleport you and create wisp pairs next to you when they bite you, and they come infinitely out of nests :gonk:). I got to the boss once after 2 hours and died immediately. After that, I gave up on going with no starting items and just farmed the first four areas until I could gear up a Farmer to steamroll through the rest of the game (well, as steamrolly as it could have been on Savage) using the weapon that creates a swirl of flames and the full heal ultimate skill of the Farmer.

As a final opinion, it was very fun to play through once, but the dungeon layouts were very samey, and I was growing bored of the game by the time I was pushing through the last area. It's still worth the price for the amount of time I put into it, though, so I still recommend picking it up! If anyone else wants to show off the remainder of the game, feel free, but I think I'll work on recording something else and focusing on actually pushing out updates as I play instead of reproducing this situation where I can delete my whole backlog like an idiot. I'll also probably pick something shorter this time to record (since that worked much better with Rogue).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kobold eBooks posted:

ADOM will gently caress you like a Sierra game, punishing you for mistakes you made floors ago.

Nethack will punish you for not getting lucky enough to find the right safeguards against various instadeaths early enough, and practically everything is a source of instadeath. Especially cockatrices.

I think they're equally as bad when playing spoiler-free and debating which one is more difficult is an exercise in being silly.

On a completely unrelated note, do any roguelikes aside from One Way Heroics actually offer the option for traveling diagonally with the arrow keys via a modifier key? Seems everything else is still stuck in the "Don't like vi keys and don't have a numpad? Then fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, buddy!" days.

I remember a buddy dying once in Nethack when he threw the body of a dead troll into his backpack for later consumption and forgot about it. Said troll later regenerated and clawed the back of his head off.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Samizdata posted:

I remember a buddy dying once in Nethack when he threw the body of a dead troll into his backpack for later consumption and forgot about it. Said troll later regenerated and clawed the back of his head off.

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

I think stuff like this is bad in terms of raw game design, but it makes for such cool stories, the problem is once you know it it stops being amusing to play around with.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Samizdata posted:

That is amazing.

I freaking love it.

Most games would tag the corpse as un-pick-up-able because that would happen. Nethack says, "Sure, go ahead. You know you're supposed to light the fucker on fire, right? Not stuff him in a nice safe place to sleep it off. Well, he'll be a while, but in a floor or so, he'll be okay and pretty drat hungry from all that regenerating."

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

Samizdata posted:

That's what tinning kits are for! :eng101:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think the oddest nethack death for me was I was getting pasted by a Dwarf King in minetown, I looked in my inventory for healing, teleport, anything that could help, but there was nothing. But aha! I had a scroll of genocide that I was saving in case I ran into problems down the road. So it asked for the letter I wanted genocided, I put in 'h' for 'humanoid'. Turns out I was playing a dwarf valk and died instantly. It was one of those "oh yeah...." moments where you realize Nethack will follow just about anything through to its logical conclusion.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I like it when games are logical that way.

Speaking of which, I've been considering writing a roguelike for procjam... :getin:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The ultimate thing would be budding off more trolls for infinite supplies...

Thanks for the Sproggiwood LP Floodkiller. It's been interesting to follow.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Well, that's more like a Pudding Farm or a Gremlin Wish Machine you're thinking of, then.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Since the thread is pretty inactive at the moment (and may be in the process of dying), I'll take the opportunity to let anyone who doesn't know that the Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup 0.17 tournament that will be starting this Friday, and continuing until the 22nd! Even if you aren't interested in playing in the tournament, it can still be great fun to jump in and watch one of the multiple games going on live through the WebTiles client!

All you have to do is head to one of the online servers and click on the name of the person you want to spectate (CAO and CSZO are usually the most popular ones). There's also a chat function embedded in the client for talking to the player or other spectators (but you have to make a login if you want to use it).

Edit: You can also join the #gooncrawl IRC!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 23, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Oh god, guess I better jump back in and make sure Ogrecoming Adversity/Maximum Ogredrive are still going strong.

Why can't I stop playing ogres :negative:

Truth Serum
Feb 8, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh god, guess I better jump back in and make sure Ogrecoming Adversity/Maximum Ogredrive are still going strong.

Why can't I stop playing ogres :negative:

Because it's 'fun' to start an ogre and blow past an artifact helmet, enchanted gloves and enchanted boots by D2. :negative:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ogreconfidence?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sogol posted:

Ogreconfidence?

Ogrely infatuated, more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So Nethack updated to 3.6. This is not a joke. They actually updated Nethack. I repeat, this is NOT a joke.

EDIT: Wrong thread but still relevant.

• Locked thread