Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TACD posted:

I have no idea where to find it now, but I remember reading a good essay on this at some point. The overall gist was that people who aren't Good With Computers often have trouble because it's very unclear what it's doing, and why, and which bits are important, and so on. A household appliance on the other hand specifically does one thing, often in an obvious and intuitive way. The genius of the iOS paradigm is that it turns a very complicated universal computer into a very powerful universal appliance by removing or hiding all the unnecessary guff and dedicating the whole device to doing one thing at a time. You press the camera button and your phone becomes a camera, until you tell it to be a calculator or a music player.

Palm did that way earlier (and was a commercial product too), down to the scrollable icon-based list of apps which you can get off internet. Even shareware was prolific there. The things that Apple did bring to the table were multi-touch and gestures. And incidentally Apple funds quite a bit of research too, they've founded OpenCL and ARM for one.

e: 93 A.D.: Not much happened, some Christians got prosecuted in Rome.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's the stock image from seven years ago that shows that Jeremy Corbyn is unfit to lead the Labour party, my op ed in the Telegraph.

You are Jonathan Jones and I claim my £5.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Private Speech posted:

founded OpenCL

Now if only they'd ever update their implementation of it. Apple didn't found ARM though, despite giving them lots of money over a very long period of time.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You are Jonathan Jones and I claim my £5.

I read this thing and I don't have a single clue what his point or joke was supposed to be. It's a staggeringly incoherent torrent of slurry.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Noxville posted:

I read this thing and I don't have a single clue what his point or joke was supposed to be. It's a staggeringly incoherent torrent of slurry.
It's an attack piece on Corbyn lamenting the fact that attack pieces on Corbyn only make him more popular, because the proles are stupid idiots who only care about celebrity.

It's peak Granuid, basically.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

Nixon specifically ordered the CIA to "make the economy scream" in Chile when it elected Allende on a platform of nationalisation. But really latinamerica.txt and middleeast.txt so yeah.

I think you mean everywhere.txt :killinghopesay:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

josh04 posted:

Now if only they'd ever update their implementation of it. Apple didn't found ARM though, despite giving them lots of money over a very long period of time.

I suppose it depends on how you define founded. They made them spin-off from Acorn, and funded the venture. link

quote:

In the early 1990s Apple was developing a “Personal Digital Assistant” called Newton and were looking for a low power processor to power it. Apple was very interested in ARM but were reluctant to base a product on Acorn’s IP and so ARM Ltd. was founded on 27th November 1990 as a joint venture between Apple, Acorn, and VLSI Technology. The first office was in a beautiful 17C converted barn just outside Cambridge UK . Apple put in £1.5M of cash, Acorn put in the 12 Engineers who had worked on ARM and VLSI provided the design tools.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 15, 2015

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...meron-says.html

Now that local authority funding has been gutted, local councils who underperform on social services for vulnerable children could be taken over by the government who would farm it out to 'top councils' or charities. I see nothing bad coming of this.
I really hate how they're allowed to get away with studiously ignoring the possibility that cuts in funding might have even a tiny detrimental effect on the quality of services. Like, if they genuinely believe that there are benefits to slashing budgets that outweigh the costs then they should make that argument, but they never even acknowledge that it might make things even slightly worse and nobody ever questions them on it.

e: Well, not quite nobody, I think in maybe a Guardian piece they had a couple of quotes from people complaining that their budgets were cut and that's unlikely to make things better, but they're never actually confronted on it

e2: The comments on that article are amazing, real people complaining about the UN charter on the rights of the child and how oppressive it is and how social services are harassing them and are misandrist etc. I'm willing to bet there's a good reason that social services are getting called on them

XMNN fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 15, 2015

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

ultrabindu posted:

Labour MP Jess Phillips pledges to openly 'knife' Jeremy Corbyn if he fails to perform

This is funny because Labour MPs who received tweets with this wording called the cops and screamed about abuse.

"You take the right sphere, the truth ends. You read up the news and believe whatever you want to be told. You take the left sphere, you stay in 21th century, and I show you how deep this toryhell goes."

alexmac
Jun 4, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

That's alright, we'll just fill the gaps in the rosters with locums who cost ten times as much per hour as regular nurses but are massively more overworked. Just-in-time approaches work well in supply chain management so there's no reason they can't work equally well with human resources!

also, as an aside from lol, Tories: lol, Chelsea

From the last page but unfortunately that won't even be an option to fill the gaps any more. As of a few weeks ago, agency rates are now capped: http://www.nationalhealthexecutive.com/Health-Care-News/agency-pay-cap-comes-into-effect-today

As far as I'm aware the big money locum shifts are the ones where the hospital is desperately phoning round at 5 for someone to cover a 12 hour shift starting at 6pm on a Friday or Saturday night.

I tried to find some stats on how many locum shifts are covered by doctors/nurses/allied health professionals who are already in substantive posts but couldn't find anything useful. I'd wager it's a reasonable percentage, and this will just remove the only incentive they had to work another 12 hours on their 60 hour week when they don't have to.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Add in that endocrinal clinics are so overworked now that they no longer do blood glucose tests on diabetics, just HbA1c.

There is zero reason for clinics to measure precise blood glucose over hba1c given how easily and accurately people with diabetes can check it themselves. I really don't think it's a cost thing, just it would be a complete waste of time with no medical benefit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hello all, want to read about how poo poo things are?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35093837

Beeb posted:

Domestic abuse: Police nearly 'overwhelmed' by increase

Police in England and Wales are on the verge of being "overwhelmed" by "staggering" increases in reports of domestic abuse, inspectors say.

Recorded cases rose 31% between 2013 and 2015, Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) said.

It said this had led to "excessive" workloads and affected the quality and speed of investigations in some forces.

Meanwhile, a separate HMIC report found 31 out of 43 forces must improve their protection of vulnerable people.

HM Inspector of Constabulary Zoe Billingham issued the warning that police were close to being overwhelmed by the "staggering" increase in domestic abuse cases.

Her report is a follow-up to one published by HMIC in March 2014, which highlighted "significant weaknesses" in the service police gave domestic abuse victims.

The new report notes improvements since then, including a 31% increase in "domestic abuse related crimes" recorded by police - from 269,700 in the year to August 2013, to 353,100 in the year to March 2015.

Explaining why this is an improvement, the report says the rise could be partly due to better recording by police and forces "actively encouraging" victims to come forward.

There has also been a "determined effort" by police to make domestic abuse a priority, the report adds.

But it highlights problems including:

"Limited evidence" of forces engaging with victims for feedback
"Mixed" attitudes among officers, sometimes leading to victims "losing trust and not being willing to report subsequent abuse"
Some forces not monitoring their domestic abuse data for "insight", meaning they "do not have a good understanding of their performance"
"Wide variation" between forces on arrest rates for domestic abuse call-outs, suggesting victims are subject to a "postcode lottery"
Forces using a "range of different and therefore inconsistent practices" when assessing risk
"Inconsistent awareness" - especially among response staff - of coercive and controlling behaviour
"Over-reliance" on e-learning training packages
"Extremely varied" use of Domestic Violence Protection Orders, which can protect victims immediately after abuse incidents

The report notes the "enormous" number of people affected by domestic abuse - with 900,000 calls to police in England and Wales in the 12 months to March 2015.

What is domestic abuse?

Violent, physical, sexual, psychological or emotional abuse - including threats and intimidation - in your home or elsewhere by your current or former partner, or any other adult family member.

It can also include financial abuse, such as a partner controlling your use of money or running up debts in your name.

Men and women can both be perpetrators and victims of domestic abuse, and victims are encouraged to call the police.

Sources: Met Police, Money Advice Service

In its separate report on protection of vulnerable people, HMIC graded all 43 forces in England and Wales, rating 12 "good", 27 "requires improvement" and four "inadequate". No force was rated "outstanding".

The four forces rated "inadequate" were Bedfordshire, Essex, Staffordshire, Surrey.

Forces use different definitions of "vulnerable", but criteria can include age, disability and being a victim of repeated offences.

Ms Billingham said: "We witnessed a clear commitment from forces to improve the service they provide to vulnerable people generally. This determination now needs to translate into effective and consistent support and protection."

Mark Castle, chief executive of charity Victim Support, said: "This report makes disturbing reading, highlighting widespread failure by the police to identify, assess or support the most vulnerable victims of crime, in particular children."

Although hopefully at least in part this is indeed due to improved reporting of such crimes and a greater willingness to come forward, I'd be startled if the entire statistic can be explained by that. I'd wager the same pressures that are encouraging abusive behavior are those very same austerity measures that are stopping the cops from responding adequately and ramping up the parts of their forces that deal with such crimes, and if I'm right that's a Tory twofer right there!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Can we have a rule to the effect that only good, happy, uplifting news can be posted between the hours of 6am and 10am?
I struggle enough in the mornings as is, and news about a rise in domestic assaults is just.... you know.

I suggest something to do with puppies or like a cat adopting an orphaned fox cub or whatever.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oberleutnant posted:

Can we have a rule to the effect that only good, happy, uplifting news can be posted between the hours of 6am and 10am?
I struggle enough in the mornings as is, and news about a rise in domestic assaults is just.... you know.

I suggest something to do with puppies or like a cat adopting an orphaned fox cub or whatever.

Combine that news with the report from yesterday that due to funding cuts almost all of the womens shelters will be forced to close.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

UKMT: Getting through the day one happy hour at a time

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Combine that news with the report from yesterday that due to funding cuts almost all of the womens shelters will be forced to close.

This.... this is exactly the opposite of what i asked for :(

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
SA has a thread dedicated to cute pet pictures, if you’re coming to UKMT for good news you’re making things very difficult for yourself.

That said, when things are darkest never forget that David Cameron hosed a Dead Pig.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

The mirror has you covered for that http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/feel-good-news

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Oberleutnant posted:

I did mention it yesterday, but it bears repeating: Chelsea. There you go.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Noxville posted:

Congratulations, you have now read every Jonathan Jones column.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

I did mention it yesterday, but it bears repeating: Chelsea. There you go.

They got beaten by Leicester City 2-1?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Oberleutnant posted:

Did I already do an effort post itt about how every bit of high technology in an ipad is derived from publicly funded scientific research or the military? Or did I just think about doing it and then not bother? I had a list somewhere and I'll be hosed if I can remember where I put it. At the very least the touchscreen and internet came from CERN with input from the US Military who also brought along GPS, and as I recall mobile telephony got its start in american government research in dubya dubya two. Obviously the computer had huge amounts of development funded by governments.
The only customers for integrated circuits through the 60s and early 70s was the American military, because 1) they wanted to put them in nuclear missiles and 2) they were too expensive for anyone else. The government was Fairchild Semiconductor's only customer for years. Silicon Valley owes its existence to decades of military procurement.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Noxville posted:

I read it, I liked the bit at the end where he lamented that describing him as unelectable hasn't made him unelectable. I hope it's true, but even if it's not that is some Grade A Grauniad Tears.

e:

quote:

Every attack on Corbyn makes him more famous, and ours is a celebrity age. His supporters are right to hold on to that. Don’t the Conservative party and Tristram Hunt know there’s no such thing as bad publicity? The Oldham byelection proved it. The trouble is, most people don’t pay much attention to politics. What actually gets through to the non-political from all this endless denunciation of Corbyn is just a beard and a name. He’s unelectable? Yeah, but he looks kind. A bit like Father Christmas.

my only regret is that this guy is clearly a loving idiot so he's probably wrong

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Private Speech posted:

I suppose it depends on how you define founded. They made them spin-off from Acorn, and funded the venture. link
ARM was spun off from Acorn, which was founded by Hermann Hauser and Chris Curry in the late 70s. The original ARM chip (which then stood for Acorn RISC Machine) was designed in-house during the 80s because Acorn weren't happy with any of the alternatives they could buy on the open market. They stuck it in the first Archimedes, which was on sale in the late 80s. ARM was spun out in the early 1990s when Apple wanted to use the chips for the Newton, IIRC.

edit: RIP RISC OS, you were too beautiful for this fallen world

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I thought Johnathan Jones was building up to make a point about how hysterical the coverage of Corbyn was but no, it's just a complaint about how it isn't working.

Is this Right Wing comedy? No wonder it's never taken off.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lucy Allan just posted (then deleted) this on Facebook. Do Tory MPs having meltdowns count as good news?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Lucy Allan just posted (then deleted) this on Facebook. Do Tory MPs having meltdowns count as good news?

Good poo poo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I didn't know where Telford was so I looked it up on Google Maps.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2015/12/15/email-row-telford-mp-lucy-allan-now-faces-grilling-over-video/

Apparently she also posted then deleted a video, but I can't find it.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Is this it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7HbOB2POWo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Palm did that way earlier (and was a commercial product too), down to the scrollable icon-based list of apps which you can get off internet. Even shareware was prolific there. The things that Apple did bring to the table were multi-touch and gestures.

The Opera browser had gestures as far back as 2001, it used to be one of their unique things compared to other browsers. Apple in general doesn't invent stuff; it refines what's already out there, claims it invented it then sells it for $$$.

Edit: though even they don't claim they 'founded' ARM. The UK megathread of all places is a weird place to claim that, it's like our one big high tech company.

Edit edit: RISC OS is still around, btw. You can run it on a Raspberry Pi.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 15, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Baron Corbyn posted:

I love how she's double downing on "I never edited a letter to add a death threat" despite it being blatantly obvious that's exactly what she did.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Sounds like it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baron Corbyn posted:

Isn't saying "a female" one of the hallmarks of MRA poo poo?

Zephro posted:

The only customers for integrated circuits through the 60s and early 70s was the American military, because 1) they wanted to put them in nuclear missiles and 2) they were too expensive for anyone else. The government was Fairchild Semiconductor's only customer for years. Silicon Valley owes its existence to decades of military procurement.
That's not the left building an iPad though, that's decades of dick waving and nuclear brinkmanship building ICs. It's proof that government investment and infrastructure works, but what it lacks is proof that government investment can be inspirational and can be kept worthwhile in the eyes of the public in the absence of a huge Other that requires metal dicks pointed at them at all hours. Maybe the question people should have been asking is "Can the left sell an iPad?"

Zephro posted:

edit: RIP RISC OS, you were too beautiful for this fallen world
:cheat:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Baron Corbyn posted:

Rusty Shackleford loving lol.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Anybody catch this hilarity this morning?

Hackers Trace ISIS Twitter Accounts to DWP IP Addresses

quote:

Hackers have claimed that a number of Islamic State supporters' social media accounts are being run from internet addresses linked to the Department of Work and Pensions

A group of four young computer experts who call themselves VandaSec have unearthed evidence indicating that at least three ISIS-supporting accounts can be traced back to the DWP's London offices.

Every computer and mobile phone logs onto the internet using an IP address, which is a type of identification number.

The hacking collective showed Mirror Online details of the IP addresses used by a trio of separate digital jihadis to access Twitter accounts, which were then used to carry out online recruitment and propaganda campaigns.

At first glance, the IP addresses seem to be based in Saudi Arabia, but upon further inspection using specialist tools they appeared to link back to the DWP.

"Don't you think that's strange?" one of the hackers asked Mirror Online. "We traced these accounts back to London, the home of the British intelligence services."

VandaSec's work has sparked wild rumours suggesting someone inside the DWP is running ISIS-supporting accounts, or they were created by intelligence services as a honeypot to trap wannabe jihadis.

However, when Mirror Online traced the IP addresses obtained by VandaSec, we found they actually pointed to a series of unpublicised transactions between Britain and Saudi Arabia.

We learned that the British government sold on a large number of IP addresses to two Saudi Arabian firms. After the sale completed in October of this year, they were used by extremists to spread their message of hate.

Although the DWP denied owning the IP addresses at first, Jamie Turner, an expert from a firm called PCA Predict, discovered a record of the sale of IP addresses, and found a large number were transferred to Saudi Arabia in October of this year.

He told us it was likely the IP addresses could still be traced back to the DWP because records of the addresses had not yet been fully updated.

The Cabinet Office has now admitted to selling the IP addresses on to Saudi Telecom and the Saudi-based Mobile Telecommunications Company earlier this year as part of a wider drive to get rid of a large number of the DWP's IP addresses.

It said the British government can have no control over how these addresses are used after the sale.

A Cabinet Office spokesperson said: "The government owns millions of unused IP addresses which we are selling to get a good return for hardworking taxpayers.

"We have sold a number of these addresses to telecoms companies both in the UK and internationally to allow their customers to connect to the internet.

"We think carefully about which companies we sell addresses to, but how their customers use this internet connection is beyond our control."

The government did not reveal how much money was made from selling the IP addresses to the pair of Saudi firms, because it regards this information as commercially sensitive.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

feedmegin posted:

Edit edit: RISC OS is still around, btw. You can run it on a Raspberry Pi.
!Awesome

I dug up an Archimedes emulator, too.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

:byodood: WE'RE EXPORTING PRECIOUS BRITISH IP ADDRESSES TO TERRORISTS :byodood:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

If only the Department of Work and Pensions hadn't sold ISIS this advanced "BrimstoneIP Address" technology maybe Paris would never have happened

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't saying "a female" one of the hallmarks of MRA poo poo?
Not if it's a woman saying it, a bit like Nagger. I mean, it's probably best used as an adjective anyway, but when MRAs do it it's meant to sound reductive and dismissive.

Zephro posted:

:byodood: WE'RE EXPORTING PRECIOUS BRITISH IP ADDRESSES TO TERRORISTS :byodood:
Probably more pertinent that Saudi Arabia definitely is.

• Locked thread