Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
We don't speak lightly of the JAIDS.

Or of the Taser, for that matter. It's likely that rebound was the Taser trying to feed in another world, but we may never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The interlude is now up and all posts have been cleaned and updated. Thanks for your patience!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Bruceski posted:

Well when you're running a game at the same time as recording the system is reading and writing large amounts of data at the same time, so that can throw a wrench into some things. For example that's probably why Jade Star's map takes so long to load in Red Faction: Guerrilla. Sometimes people are just cursed, too, can't discount curses.

I will maintain until my dying day that Tech Gremlins are a thing. I have poo poo break for me constantly in ways that no one else can reproduce, hell just today plugging in my headset made a voip program crash no real reason, it just froze and quietly died. I've been walking about in games that are years old and all patched up and I'll just fall right the gently caress through the world.

Some people just have gremlins following them around.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait, so the Hound Pits Pub has a different, insanely detailed, scattering of coins between every mission? :psyduck: That's some dedicated attention to detail, and to grab as many as you can when AFAIK coin completion is only tracked in the actual missions is some dedicated completionism. Kudos. :golfclap:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's one particular key that you can only get at a very specific time at the Hounds Pit, which will allow you to unlock the kennels early, and visit Sokolov there later on, during interludes when the door is normally locked.

When Havelock wants you to clear the weepers out of the sewers, you need to get into them before talking to him and getting his key, either by possessing a hagfish, or by turning the wheel from the outside. the key is inside the lock of the cellar door. It disappears as soon as you talk to Havelock.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

There's one particular key that you can only get at a very specific time at the Hounds Pit, which will allow you to unlock the kennels early, and visit Sokolov there later on, during interludes when the door is normally locked.

When Havelock wants you to clear the weepers out of the sewers, you need to get into them before talking to him and getting his key, either by possessing a hagfish, or by turning the wheel from the outside. the key is inside the lock of the cellar door. It disappears as soon as you talk to Havelock.

Interesting! I never knew this. I'll have to see about showing that off if I can get caught up enough.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just went through The Knife of Dunwall, yet again. That freaking close up of the oil processing is, still, really really unsettling. :gonk:

Incidentally I'm really looking forward to when the LP gets there and I'll learn where in the world some of the runes and bonecharms are hidden. While I could look it up it's not nearly as fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've still not played the DLC at all beyond Dunwall City Trials, actually, so that's gonna be a real experience for me.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

ShootaBoy posted:

I will maintain until my dying day that Tech Gremlins are a thing. I have poo poo break for me constantly in ways that no one else can reproduce, hell just today plugging in my headset made a voip program crash no real reason, it just froze and quietly died. I've been walking about in games that are years old and all patched up and I'll just fall right the gently caress through the world.

Some people just have gremlins following them around.

Same here. I went back to the same Morrowind installation after years of not touching it and encountered faults I'd never even heard of before, some of which I couldn't find any mention of. I also started experiencing BSODs only with Morrowind even after reinstalling. One installation had different settings which I thought had solved the BSODs only for them to begin again after about 30 hours of play. The more I learn about computers the more nonsensical and complex my PCs problems get.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I've still not played the DLC at all beyond Dunwall City Trials, actually, so that's gonna be a real experience for me.
Amusingly that's the only DLC I haven't played because a bunch of timed challenges sounds really boring.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Poil posted:

Amusingly that's the only DLC I haven't played because a bunch of timed challenges sounds really boring.
Dunwall City Trials is fun as hell, actually, though I'm a tad biased because my rarest Steam achievement that doesn't have diluted numbers due to being from an f2p or a $50 DLC for a game that only recently had a complete edition comes from one of the challenges there. I'm actually in the same boat as Coolguye except for maybe one mission of whichever story DLC comes first because something newer and shinier got my attention.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Poil posted:

the missions are actually pretty neat little breaks from the usual gameplay. There's one where you have a randomly selected target and have to rack down the clues to identify who you need to kill, for example.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Will be relevant later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0_KWZ_Atbw

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Please, please tell me this is the next LP, and you're going to carry over this LP's format to it. :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not that much later I'm afraid. I also don't think (but don't quote me on it), that Coolguy and Roboky have the same undying love for Hitman I do. I think they just like it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Orv posted:

Not that much later I'm afraid. I also don't think (but don't quote me on it), that Coolguy and Roboky have the same undying love for Hitman I do. I think they just like it.

My opinion is that Blood Money is boss but the other Hitman games are best left to the experts that care about those things.

Corollary: I think it's nothing short of a miracle that the series managed to progress past the first game, which was agonizingly painful to play.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Hitman is a pretty amazing series that I'm pretty bad at.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Hitman is a pretty amazing series that I'm pretty bad at.

See that just seems all the more reason to want to watch you play it.

Especially if you can get scenarios like the benny hill esque chase through mardi gras that my friend did that somehow ended with silent assassin.

NPC silencers are 100% effective so the assassin chasing him didn't cause any noise or alert and he found a quiet place to disarm her and take her out

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

So uh that glitch with the unconscious body and the floor grating in Coolguy's High Overseer mission? It's pretty easily repeatable.

Not entirely sure what you would need to do to replicate the piss-bounce from the Golden Cat though, that just seems like Unreal Engine being wonky at physics.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I personally ran into this glitch once: :nms:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

I personally ran into this glitch once: :nms:
You seem to be getting your powers from the warp rather than the void.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Coolguye posted:

My opinion is that Blood Money is boss but the other Hitman games are best left to the experts that care about those things.

Corollary: I think it's nothing short of a miracle that the series managed to progress past the first game, which was agonizingly painful to play.

Contracts is also firmly worthwhile, despite (because of?) being in part an updated and improved remix of previous-game levels.

I got introduced to the series with Silent Assassin, but was permanently traumatized by the ninja levels. Especially the one with the truck. :gonk:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

High Chaos Update:

The Golden Cat, Interlude: Youtube Polsy
The Royal Physician, Part 1: Youtube Polsy

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:argh: This loving bridge! I got stuck for the absolute longest time in that area just before the bridge with the first Arc Pylon. And now I know that I could have just snuck around. :suicide:

Seriously though, did you see his health bar when he rode the lowering bridge past it? It took out almost the whole lot! They do entirely too much damage, especially with that rather large cohort of pistol-wielding guards nearby to take off the last sliver.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Now consider that Roboky's playing on (I believe) Normal.

I play on Very Hard and Arc Pylons fill me with mortal fear.

And before anyone points it out, yes, I did realize my mistake with regard to tooling with Arc Pylons and their alleged non-lethality. I correct myself in my episode.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AlphaKretin posted:

:argh: This loving bridge! I got stuck for the absolute longest time in that area just before the bridge with the first Arc Pylon. And now I know that I could have just snuck around. :suicide:

Seriously though, did you see his health bar when he rode the lowering bridge past it? It took out almost the whole lot! They do entirely too much damage, especially with that rather large cohort of pistol-wielding guards nearby to take off the last sliver.

As with many things, my solution to arc pylons generally involved Bend Time 2.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I have a confession. I uh... I really liked this level the first time i played it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ablative posted:

I have a confession. I uh... I really liked this level the first time i played it.
Me too, it's pretty awesome if a bit too linear. Getting on top of the bridge was really cool.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ablative posted:

It's a filler mission, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. The only reason I hate it is because I hate heights.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can definitely get higher on the bridge than that. But not to the very top I think. Just pretty close on the beams.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like the bit of exposition they give that you are "cleared" to pass an Arc Pylon by touching its charger. Techno-magic instead of a biometric pass or a magnetic keycard. That also explains why it's so easy for us to reset Walls of Light or Pylons to kill everyone but us, we just set it back to factory zero with us as its only "friendly."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"Oh god there's money up here :barf:"

The best

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

The LP got me started playing through this again on high chaos this time and well uh Dishonored a solid not at all glitchy game! :v:.

:eyepop: I dooooon't think she's just unconscious.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As a man whose spine is slowly trying to commit suicide that looks mighty comfortable.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

A Darker Porpoise posted:

The LP got me started playing through this again on high chaos this time and well uh Dishonored a solid not at all glitchy game! :v:.

:eyepop: I dooooon't think she's just unconscious.

The ragdolls are one of the best parts of this game. It's part of why I hate the dead enemies turn to ash skill. You miss out on so much.

I've got a poo poo ton more but the lp hasn't reached those levels yet.

Oh yeah and this. Still not sure how I managed it.

Poil posted:

You can definitely get higher on the bridge than that. But not to the very top I think. Just pretty close on the beams.

Yeah, there is a set height you can get to. There are some hacks for disabling the range limit on the blink, but even then you can't get all the way up.

Ablative posted:

IIRC this was one of two levels that got talked about the most in previews and developer interviews. There was a decent chance for over-exposure if you followed those even the slightest bit.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Brainamp posted:

IIRC this was one of two levels that got talked about the most in previews and developer interviews. There was a decent chance for over-exposure if you followed those even the slightest bit.

I don't recall seeing this level in pre-release material at all, actually. It was all the Golden Cat.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

And very strongly hinted to be her father.

This is one of the things that I really loved about the opening. We hear the letter from the Empress, which clues us in early on that we are much more to her than just her Lord Protector, and she mentions Emily, and then we meet Emily. And while Emily does call us by our name when she sees us, her physical reaction of screaming our name at the top of her lungs and flinging herself into our arms (which we, of course, already have at the ready) is very much that of a child seeing her father after an extended absence. It was the developers telling us very clearly that you are not just their Protector. This is your family, which makes for a much stronger motivation when we have to watch them be taken away from us.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's still a very odd that you can have an heir to the throne without, as far as we know, an officially recognized father. You would assume the Empress having a child out of wedlock would be a big deal.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Makes you wonder what happened to the Emperor. Happy accident just after the Empress found herself pregnant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He died from a mysterious thrown whale oil canister accident. All witnesses were choked from behind.

• Locked thread