Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Amppelix posted:

What, is there something wrong with that? Also I don't think there's any pretension to it. It is a harem manga and then stops being one.

I've known plenty of people who enjoyed Negima after being assured it wasn't just a harem manga, but wouldn't give it a chance before that because a harem manga was understandably not their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Both of the anime series - the romantic comedy variant and the Shaft retelling - are streaming legally on Hulu. Two of the OVA are as well, but not the third one, which is supposedly awesome (with Rakan) .

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Fully half of Negima is a harem manga, and while it does later shift into a battle manga the harem stuff never goes away entirely.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Fully half of Negima is a harem manga, and while it does later shift into a battle manga the harem stuff never goes away entirely.

It's really only the focus of the manga at the start for what, 40 odd chapters. Then it's in some sort of pseudo harem battle thing during the school festival and it just drops it completely outside of a few instances once the magic world arc starts. Honestly, it's been one of the most enjoyable shonen pieces to read for me, and that comes from someone who doesn't really like the harem gimmicks in these types of manga.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

rizzen posted:

It's really only the focus of the manga at the start for what, 40 odd chapters. Then it's in some sort of pseudo harem battle thing during the school festival and it just drops it completely outside of a few instances once the magic world arc starts. Honestly, it's been one of the most enjoyable shonen pieces to read for me, and that comes from someone who doesn't really like the harem gimmicks in these types of manga.

I won't say I love the harem, but having it be a backdrop for everything else helped make Negima + UQ Holder one of my favorite manga worlds.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

New chapter out.

Nothing much happens besides timestop shenanigans of which Kirie has no idea how to fix.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure spoilers: I like the Stardust Crusaders references in this chapter, complete with the wheels from the anime OP and Nukesaku testing DIO's power with a shotgun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Kirie hoping to repopulate the Earth in frozen spacetime; Touta just wants to spend eternity looking at Evangeline's rack. Kirie doomed.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kirie is very cute in the Yukata.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rodyle posted:

Kirie is very cute in the Yukata.

Kirie is very cute in everything :colbert:

Like, seriously, her outfit is trendy as gently caress

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The most romantic date. :v:

Actually given they're immortal it'd be interesting if Akamatsu bothers to play out the theoretical "time stopped forever" scenario and have'em stuck for a really long time. At least a year or so.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Kyte posted:

The most romantic date. :v:

Actually given they're immortal it'd be interesting if Akamatsu bothers to play out the theoretical "time stopped forever" scenario and have'em stuck for a really long time. At least a year or so.

Make it almost a thousand, so by the time they've escaped Touta is technically older than Evangeline, but still has the same chipper outlook and demeanor. That way the next time Eva starts getting all angsty and morose about how hard her immortal life has been, Touta can tell her he was stuck for a longer time with only one other person to talk to, yet he turned out fine so shut up and stop your whining.

Then Eva freezes him forever. The end.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure spoilers: I like the Stardust Crusaders references in this chapter, complete with the wheels from the anime OP and Nukesaku testing DIO's power with a shotgun.

It's such a good reference too. Because it's really blatant, but not forced.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Kirie is very cute in everything :colbert:

Like, seriously, her outfit is trendy as gently caress

Akamatsu apparently liking to draw a lot of variety in clothes is one of the things I've always liked about his stuff.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

Akamatsu apparently liking to draw a lot of variety in clothes is one of the things I've always liked about his stuff.

It makes me wish I knew how to dress well. Or had the money for nice suits and vests and poo poo.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

His wife being an idol who likes to cosplay probably helps a lot too

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

No chapter this week because last week was a double issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine apparently. I guess that's to be expected near the end of the year, right before Christmas and New Year's. We'll have one more chapter for the year the week after this in another double issue, then it'll almost certainly resume weekly publication in the new year, until Ken's next weekly hiatus, whenever that will be...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GhostStalker posted:

No chapter this week because last week was a double issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine apparently. I guess that's to be expected near the end of the year, right before Christmas and New Year's. We'll have one more chapter for the year the week after this in another double issue, then it'll almost certainly resume weekly publication in the new year, until Ken's next weekly hiatus, whenever that will be...
Am I way behind? I felt like the new chapter came out today but I guess I'm just behind. Seems like the difference between Touta and Negi is that they both have massive harem powers, but Negi spread it around whereas Touta concentrates it more on his main haremites due to him being slightly older and being way more forward in doing things that get them going.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 16, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Touta is actually younger than Negi was. Also, while Touta has a much smaller harem that is largely because he interacts with a much smaller group of people. The power of the Natural Gigolo cannot be denied.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Am I way behind? I felt like the new chapter came out today but I guess I'm just behind.

Yeah, there was no chapter this week. The last one was chapter 105, released on Crunchyroll a week ago. Are you following it on another site indtead? Maybe that's why you feel behind if that site hadn't released the chapter yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

Seems like the difference between Touta and Negi is that they both have massive harem powers, but Negi spread it around whereas Touta concentrates it more on his main haremites due to him being slightly older and being way more forward in doing things that get them going.

Touta is actually younger than Negi was. Also, while Touta has a much smaller harem that is largely because he interacts with a much smaller group of people. The power of the Natural Gigolo cannot be denied.

Yeah, Touta's only like 3 or 4 years old (remember, he's a created human or a clone of some sort, Santa found out as much when he was researching him in his room in Mahora right before they met by becoming roommates when Touta, Kuromaru, Karin, Ikku, and Kirie were sent to Mahora to deal with that murderer that turned out to be connected to him as Sayoko gave him his powers; and all but confirmed when he fought that dark skinned clone who claimed to be his sister a wielding a copy of Asuna's sword). Even Negi was 10 (technically 9 and some months close to a half) when he started turning on the Springfield charm to the girls of 3-A.

Negi had a core group in his harem that he focused on, but then eventually got most of 3-A involved, plus others. Touta just has less to work with here in the female non mook members of Holder, plus his other hanger ons that he picked up via the Springfield gene and other misadventures. Likely if he meets more people, like descendants of 3-A or whatever, he'll work his magic on them as well with the skills he inherited from his grandfather...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, one thing Touta has over Negi is that his harem powers aren't restricted by gender. Boy, girl or Kuromaru, none are proof against his idiot charm.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Totally is a clone and the living dead, his harem powers have decreased only because he has greater haram powers

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Well, one thing Touta has over Negi is that his harem powers aren't restricted by gender. Boy, girl or Kuromaru, none are proof against his idiot charm.

True that. Kuromaru could be whatever gender and it'd still work because its funny, as these last couple of chapters have proven.

Still, it likely won't happen like that because of his readership will likely complain due to the Japanese general public opinion on that kind of relationship like that still without it being stereotypical and his editor would likely shoot it down because of that. Oh well, any teasing we get is still likely to be gravy.

Wonder if Touta will add some actual guys to his harem in the future, and not a currently indeterminate gender being like Kuromaru. Unlikely given the reasons I said above, but it'd be interesting to see where Akamatsu would go with it, I guess. He'd likely not make it stereotypical, but managing the demands and expectations of the audience and his editor plus the magazine that publishes his stuff and tanks would likely factor in somewhat... I dunno.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 16, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Negi had Fate, remember?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Negi had Fate, remember?

Touche. I forgot about how obsessed he was in the last arc.

I guess Kotaro also counts under that metric, though he was more of a semi-rival turned battle buddy, which I guess Fate could be considered to be by the end of the series.

Though really Fate was a bit more focused on Negi personally than Kotaro was, but not on the level as some members of the 3-A harem.

You could really make a very strong argument to say that he counts amongst it though.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 16, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Double post, but I was wrong and apparently a chapter did come out this week, it's up on /a/ if you want to read it before Crunchyroll puts it up on the 21st, according to their countdown on their UQ Holder page for chapter 106.

Kirie and Touta wind up in the time freeze for 4 months, enough time for Touta to work his magic on her to all but join his harem. She's further along in the Touta Bowl than any other competitor, besides maybe Eva as Yukihime. While Kuromaru is content to let the status quo stand, Kirie moves ahead. She gets both his first and second kiss, the latter being what ends the time stop, though I'm surprised she didn't try it before.

We also see under what circumstances she developed her power, dying of hunger due to parental neglect and having to loop many times to get out of it. And Touta of course takes the opportunity to train as well, so he's likely powered up a lot since his last training period.

Kirie's explanation for why she's a loner really hit me, as of course she'd see everyone's hidden aspects of their personality when she looped through time... She likes Touta because he's only got one aspect to his personality, his standard carefree one, and is too incompetent (in her own words) to have any other.

Kirie kinda looked like Naru when she was approaching Touta to sleep in the same bed alongside him that last night. Otherwise, she's still pretty much a younger Chisame.

And of course people's faces got drawn on when they were frozen. Looks like Ikku and the other two number dudes, and what we see of their reactions was pretty funny. Touta covers up Yukihime with his apron too after she was frozen with her button of her blouse popped from stretching, showing off her cleavage. Seems like Touta doesn't have a lewd thought within him, or maybe he just thinks it weird because that's his mother figure.

Misore is of course there when Kirie's second kiss of Touta unfreezes things, because she was there when things first got frozen. And of course Kirie reverts to tsundere mode. There's gonna be some splainin' to do by Kirie to her and Mizore likely won't take anything else for an answer. Maybe an exploration of Kirie's abilities more in depth in the next chapter or so.

Good chapter, though who knows when the next one will be out or if my info about double issues and skipped weeks for chapters was incorrect or not...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well that's it, I'm dead, that was too adorable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah that was pretty good. I guess that means Kirie always had her power and doesn't need to make a save point for it to activate in some way, assuming she didn't have one when she died from starvation as a kid.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Jesus christ Touta you're smoother than both Negi and Nagi.

Also I think I got :kimchi: poisoning from this chapter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah that was pretty good. I guess that means Kirie always had her power and doesn't need to make a save point for it to activate in some way, assuming she didn't have one when she died from starvation as a kid.
That sort of begs some questions regarding her first reset. :eek:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chisam--er, Kirie confirmed for best girl. Like I always knew :colbert:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Oh my god, that was so adorable. And sad. Great job again, Akamatsu! :unsmith:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, there was no chapter this week. The last one was chapter 105, released on Crunchyroll a week ago. Are you following it on another site indtead? Maybe that's why you feel behind if that site hadn't released the chapter yet.

Yeah, Touta's only like 3 or 4 years old (remember, he's a created human or a clone of some sort, Santa found out as much when he was researching him in his room in Mahora right before they met by becoming roommates when Touta, Kuromaru, Karin, Ikku, and Kirie were sent to Mahora to deal with that murderer that turned out to be connected to him as Sayoko gave him his powers; and all but confirmed when he fought that dark skinned clone who claimed to be his sister a wielding a copy of Asuna's sword). Even Negi was 10 (technically 9 and some months close to a half) when he started turning on the Springfield charm to the girls of 3-A.

Negi had a core group in his harem that he focused on, but then eventually got most of 3-A involved, plus others. Touta just has less to work with here in the female non mook members of Holder, plus his other hanger ons that he picked up via the Springfield gene and other misadventures. Likely if he meets more people, like descendants of 3-A or whatever, he'll work his magic on them as well with the skills he inherited from his grandfather...

But the chapter that I read on Crunchyroll was 106. It is on Crunchyroll right now, just type in 106 in the URL, same with Fairy Tail, Fuuka and Yamada and the Seven Witches, all of which I read on Crunchyroll.

Edit: No, wait, they took it down! But when I posted that I had read it and then I was confused because no one else had read it! I guess they weren't "supposed" to put it up this week but did for a while anyways. That would explain why I was talking about Kirie's backstory and everyone was like "what the gently caress are you talking about."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
CR took it down but 4chan got'em archived.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I just marathoned this series, and it is incredible. I'm gonna be following this closely.

ConanThe3rd posted:

That sort of begs some questions regarding her first reset. :eek:

From when Kirie first talked about her powers, she said something like "at first I thought I was just having really vivid dreams," so I'm guessing if she doesn't have a save point, she returns to whenever she last woke up from being asleep. How she figured out how to set up her save points is a completely unresolved mystery that is probably never going to get explored, but I imagine the dream-respawn wouldn't come with any of the benefits she mentioned about her magic circle (keeping her full memory, letting her bring other people with her, bringing her to wherever her save point is instead of something so arbitrary as where she last slept, etc).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I hope that's how it works. The alternative is the "start" of her "game" and that could be screwed up as all get out.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Man, Kirie will have a good time once she has reached the end of her life. She'd better get an immortal body until then.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

Man, Kirie will have a good time once she has reached the end of her life. She'd better get an immortal body until then.
New Game + :unsmigghh:

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Well if she can't figure out magical agelessness by then, she can always use her vast wealth to buy a cyborg body like Ikkuu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Hers might be the worst version of immortality if she makes it to the end of the universe. Just an endless cycle of the last gasp of reality and then boom, right back to the second to last gasp of reality.

• Locked thread