Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

I don't think it's that it doesn't need a distinction, so much as it needs a name that gives any indication of what it is. It's practically a "Genocide Run" or whatever equivalent you use, so if you want a name for it, use something that's like the term you're already using, like "Almost-Genocide" or something. The wiki using a completely different term for something that's the same up until right before the very end, so that there's no indication that they're related, is what's really bad there.
Actually, on that line of thinking, what further annoys me about it is that if you were used to using "No Mercy" for whatever reason, having the official wiki who declare "yeah, no, "No Mercy" means not sparing anyone, but it's functionally the same as a Neutral Run so we're not gonna ever mention it on the wiki outside of this paragraph telling you to never use the term "No Mercy" kthxbye" is mildly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh my loving god not everything need a name

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

buffybot posted:

I found this. It seems to imply that you'll just be stuck at that fight until you actually try to hit him, and then he'll get one shot and you continue on your geno run.

Link contains geno spoilers, obviously.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/391540/discussions/0/490123832541162679/

ah, drat myths getting the wool over my eyes

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadow Hog posted:

Actually, on that line of thinking, what further annoys me about it is that if you were used to using "No Mercy" for whatever reason, having the official wiki who declare "yeah, no, "No Mercy" means not sparing anyone, but it's functionally the same as a Neutral Run so we're not gonna ever mention it on the wiki outside of this paragraph telling you to never use the term "No Mercy" kthxbye" is mildly frustrating.

It's extra bad because that end requires you to... Not kill some people. You have to show mercy to get what the wiki calls the "No Mercy" ending.

Zoness posted:

ah, drat myths getting the wool over my eyes

Yeah, I heard the same here for a long time, and since I never tried that run myself I thought it was true. I guess not.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I heard the same here for a long time, and since I never tried that run myself I thought it was true. I guess not.

I was pretty worried about not getting to do the best part of the game so I made sure I wouldn't mess up beforehand :v:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zoness posted:

I was pretty worried about not getting to do the best part of the game so I made sure I wouldn't mess up beforehand :v:

You know, I bet that's how that rumor got started; someone didn't meet the requirements for proceeding but didn't realize it, then flubbed the attack, and assumed based on what happened next that it was because they didn't put their all into the attack rather than because they hosed up well before they got to that fight.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ciaphas posted:

oh my loving god not everything need a name

I'll call you...tutti frutti

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I progressively sped up the track "the choice" until

https://soundcloud.com/tophatsmonthly/toby

I see.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Try speeding up the Snore Symphony, too, if you haven't already.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

You know, I bet that's how that rumor got started; someone didn't meet the requirements for proceeding but didn't realize it, then flubbed the attack, and assumed based on what happened next that it was because they didn't put their all into the attack rather than because they hosed up well before they got to that fight.

The dialogue you get if you fail to empty out those last areas is pretty misleading. Maybe you could originally flub that fight but Toby took it out and forgot to rewrite that dialogue.

added spoiler tags just in case

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I progressively sped up the track "the choice" until

https://soundcloud.com/tophatsmonthly/toby

I see.

I was just wondering what that was if you sped it up, thanks for doing the work!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Has this been posted yet? This is a thing that should be posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpkbYZofY8

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

I-is a game supposed to be great every single time you replay it? Seriously asking here, I thought getting less laughs out of jokes in the game the more you replay it was normal.

It's not that the novelty wears off too quickly, I'm bugged that the joke, as delivered, is pretty careless characterization. The scene more or less starts with "wait I need to eat a 1-up mushroom just to be safe" and ends with "Undyne 1-up mushrooms aren't real." Anyway I'm just giving that as an example of one of the game's blemishes, not saying that it really hurts anything in the big scheme of things. Taken as a whole, that's still the funniest scene in the game.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 16, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Completely unrelated, has anyone heard if there's an epilepsy patch for the game yet? You could close your eyes for the Colored Tile Maze the first time it shows up, but all of the final bosses would be trickier.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

My only stance on this naming debacle is that the wiki's insistence that a "No Mercy Run" is not an alternate name for a Genocide/Omnicide/Pure Evil/Max LOVE/Bad Time/Electric Galoshes/Whatever Run, but rather just a Neutral run where you don't use the Mercy option, is really, really dumb.

The real reason this is dumb is that because of this people call the "you killed all the bosses and a lot of mooks" ending the "No Mercy" ending, but you can technically also get the "King Mettaton" ending without ever touching the Mercy button. :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The simplest solution would be to stop calling anything No Mercy because apparently that confuses people for no reason.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

keep no mercy on the n64 where it belongs

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Actually, does running away permanently ruin a Genocide run, or is it possible to hunt down the same monster later? It'd be kind of funny and extremely relevant to this conversation if it were possible to do a Genocide run while periodically using the Mercy command.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

According to the wiki you can run away from encounters in the genocide run, and it's actually recommended to run away from specific ones so that you can get better LV for some tough battles

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So there you go. The No Mercy route, best played with some Mercy.

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly
Call it the WFC run, short for Who Fuckin' Cares

In other news it's quite nice to just type an undertale boss theme into soundcloud and let it cycle through the various covers and arrangements people have done. Been listening to a load of different takes on Metal Crusher and they're almost all great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can also Spare any non-scripted encounter without derailing the Genocide route. You have to be careful though, because "random" encounters that are actually scripted (such as the first Snowdrake you ever see) cannot be spared.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Is your LV not fixed for each of the boss fights? I think everyone gets to Undyne at LV 10. You don't have that much leeway in terms of the EXP you get from each area. At most, you kill like 3 extra monsters, but that's hardly enough to push you to another LV.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I gleefully killed every jerry on my way to snowdin.

gently caress you the wifi is fine here and I am not giving you a ride home.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
I wish I had known you could ditch Jerry without ruining a geno run. Jerry is the worst.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

buffybot posted:

Is your LV not fixed for each of the boss fights? I think everyone gets to Undyne at LV 10. You don't have that much leeway in terms of the EXP you get from each area. At most, you kill like 3 extra monsters, but that's hardly enough to push you to another LV.

It's set to certain points after every boss, I think, but you can get a slight advantage by killing certain higher-value enemies only on the way there, maybe? Something like that. It's almost definitely not worth the effort though, since there's exactly one boss where you might need the extra HP.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 17, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

buffybot posted:

If you go kill some Glydes you can get to LV11 for Undyne the Undying, where there actually is a noticable HP and damage difference from LV10.

e: I find it hilarious this game has a grand total of 2 fights that follow standard RPG mechanics (well, as standard as you can get)

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
I REALLY like Max LV Run because its way better to understate whats going on by giving it an innocuous name that a community of numbers-crunching completionists would use

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I call it Genocide run because that's what I want to call it so get wrecked nerds.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Flac posted:

I REALLY like Max LV Run because its way better to understate whats going on by giving it an innocuous name that a community of numbers-crunching completionists would use

100% run. :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I do gotta admit calling it that is a fantastic bait for people who don't know about Undertale and are RPG completionists, like my brother initially was.

He accidentally started on the 100% run, but finally copped that something had gone horribly wrong when he reached the Papyrus fight. He then restarted and went totally pacifist.

You didn't do a violence, bro :unsmith:

(ed: He's since spread the game to like five other people and baited one of them in the same way I baited him. Good times.)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Super Jay Mann posted:

I call it Genocide run because that's what I want to call it so get wrecked nerds.

I'm pretty sure that's what the developer calls it too. The 'Toby Fox wants people to call it No Mercy' thing seems to be entirely fabricated. Even the tweets that I've seen screenshotted don't seem to exist - no record of them present or archived on google. Most people don't go to the effort of basic fact-checking.

I'm chalking this one up to Tumblr's 'heart in the right place, head full of rocks' division.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what the developer calls it too. The 'Toby Fox wants people to call it No Mercy' thing seems to be entirely fabricated. Even the tweets that I've seen screenshotted don't seem to exist - no record of them present or archived on google. Most people don't go to the effort of basic fact-checking.

It's an obvious fake tumblr fact, especially since it's bundled with 'also the person who came up with the term 'genocide run' was antisemetic'

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly

Dominic White posted:

I'm chalking this one up to Tumblr's 'heart in the right place, head full of rocks' division.

Head full of rocks that identify as clouds, maybe.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Panic Attack posted:

Head full of rocks that identify as clouds, maybe.

don't state-of-matter shame

e: brings new meaning to "genderfluid"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dominic White posted:

Gigi D.G. and drak are both friends of Toby who have helped the game to very degrees (Gigi's made the in game Mettaton poster and the official posters you can buy, and she and drak were both playtesters as well) and they have both publicly said that they don't like the term "genocide run."

My guess is that people assumed the same was true for Toby because of the close association they have.

If you confuse drak with Toby then the following conversation matches exactly what people thought Toby had said:

https://twitter.com/fancydrak/status/645126652364652544

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

My guess is that people assumed the same was true for Toby because of the close association they have.

Nah, I've seen 'screenshots' of Toby on twitter telling people flatly that he doesn't want it called Genocide because of antisemitic overtones. Far as I can tell, those were manufactured wholesale, and it escalated from there.

I'm pretty used to seeing fake tweets now. I've even seen myself in a few.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 17, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Isn't it kind of Eurocentric to assume the word genocide refers to antisemitism?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Okay gently caress it I'm calling it Max LV from now on because this argument is insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If you spare the bosses can you just keep killing random battle monsters and gaining XP or will they eventually give you the "nobody came" message with that method as well?

• Locked thread