Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shura's Wrath just gets wonderfully dumber as it goes on. I don't think the writer has actually played a video game before, and he seems to have a very vague idea of what games are. A newbie gets a quest at the second town to go get a plant. But the plant was extinct, even though there was a quest to retrieve it. What's more, it was in an area that an aggressive max level endgame boss lived in. Also, there were dire permanent consequences for failing this timed (!) quest that wasn't completable. It is so stupid that I can't help laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
God Lord, ISSTH is just getting better and better. Lord Fifth is amazing.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
The more I see Lord Fifth in action, I am always waiting for hilarity to ensue and he has yet to disappoint. This being said, after the various incidents, I can't help but think this would be his human avatar.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If anyone was waiting for Log Horizon S3 I'd advise against holding your breath. The Author's under house arrest for Dodging Tax a second time.

So yeah, shutting down the database.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So. 900+ chapters of Father-in-Law Lu Bu, and it's right now at a cliffhanger in the Chinese version where the MC is going to go chase after an escaping enemy general. This is why I hate reading incomplete works, since it always ends with me getting frustrated at no resolution.

I'm picking up another time travel/historical story called 金玉满唐, which is also known as 大唐女法医. the first title can be translated as A Tang Dynasty filled with Gold and Jade, and the second one can be translated as Tang Dynasty's Magical Female Doctor.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

ISSTH

how'd ultimate vexation turn into a million spirit stones when it can't count past three?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They can't actually count that high or have any sense of the scale of a number that large, "a million" just means a lot.

This is getting sort of meta.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

seriously though that con was absolutely fantastic :allears:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The best parts of ISSTH are when Meng Hao robs people blind, and the subsequent reactions.

The Alchemy Outlet Store, the Rain Dragon Core, the Iron Spear, Patriarch Reliance's Treasure Trove...

Scorvi
Apr 4, 2009
Lord Fifth is now one of my favorite characters in fiction. Comparable, to me, to Tehol and Bugg in the Malazan series in terms of hilarity.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
What gets me about Lord Fifth is the sheer shamelessness the character displays considering the genre. In most Xianxia/Wuxia this sort of character would be relegated to short term comedy relief, but Lord Fifth just keeps upping the ante while at the same time playing off very well with existing characters and the world as well with the world.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
There is now a "manga" version of Mushoku Tensei in the works, a few chapters are already out and it's as horrible as you think it is.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Is Mushoku Tensei worth reading or is it pure harem poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DeafAsianQT posted:

Is Mushoku Tensei worth reading or is it pure harem poo poo

I wouldn't call it normal harem poo poo, but it is still definitely poo poo. Really though it is just a bad story and not an absolute abomination like shield hero.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I wouldn't call it normal harem poo poo, but it is still definitely poo poo. Really though it is just a bad story and not an absolute abomination like shield hero.

They're both awful. It's a shame because there were substantial periods where both were actually really enjoyable, at least for me with my low standards. Then Shield Hero got way, way too obsessed with having more and more slaves, even after he'd lost all of the excuses the story gave him, and Mushoku Tensei dropped all pretense of being anything but smut. Though they were also two of the first WNs I read, and if I read them now there's a decent chance I would have dropped them early.

Don't read either.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Desuwa posted:

Don't read either.

Sound advice. Tensei doesn't have the sheer creep factor of Shield Hero, but it has an MC I just can't stop hating. Awful in so many ways.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just because Mushoku Tensei isn't as bad as the extended ode to the wonders of slavery and pedophilia doesn't mean it is good. I never said that it was.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Maybe it's because I didn't read shield hero, but Tensei's MC is pretty creepy from chapter 1

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Sound advice. Tensei doesn't have the sheer creep factor of Shield Hero, but it has an MC I just can't stop hating. Awful in so many ways.

Yeah, huh... Shield Hero is awfully bad, but Mushoko Tensei manages to somehow be worse. Well, at least as bad in a slightly different ways.

Basically, shield Hero goes in a pedophilia harem trip that's "but it's totally not my fault". Mushoko Tensei goes in a pedophilia harem trip that's "I purposefully brainwash people in order to make them dependant on me and then I'll pretend I am being reticent so I can pretend I have the moral high ground".

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I started reading Mushoko Tensei a few days ago.

The first 7 chapters weren't too bad, with the occasional creepy line thrown in. Then in chapter 8 he gets aroused by seeing his 6 year old friend naked. Then there was the awful chapters with his sisters being born.

The final straw was his kidnap plan to make Eris docile.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's both sad and hilarious to me that Only Sense's claim to fame is that it's a story about people living in a game that isn't overdramatic or filled with creepy excesses.

You'd think that wouldn't be hard!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

What gets me about Lord Fifth is the sheer shamelessness the character displays considering the genre. In most Xianxia/Wuxia this sort of character would be relegated to short term comedy relief, but Lord Fifth just keeps upping the ante while at the same time playing off very well with existing characters and the world as well with the world.
It's great how he breaks expectations because all the stuff he says is just so ridiculous.

For example, in 328 he just flies off at the first sign of trouble, which is pretty much what you would expect. Then 329 happens and I realized I did not have enough faith in the Lord Fifth.

Now in 338 he mentions the Sublime Spirit and lords of the mountains and seas again, and it seems pretty clear by now that he's actually the Lord of the Fifth Mountain, while the Sublime Spirit (a native of the Ninth Mountain) is probably Patriarch Reliance.

Algid fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 15, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

It's both sad and hilarious to me that Only Sense's claim to fame is that it's a story about people living in a game that isn't overdramatic or filled with creepy excesses.

You'd think that wouldn't be hard!

Not even living, right? The game is just something they do IIRC.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Father-in-law Lu Bu has finished. At 957 chapters, the final chapter is really rushed. It's pretty much economic forced concession + foreign invaders + internal political conflicts + superior technological power forced the opponents to surrender to the MC. I give it 6/10 for excessive amounts of description, too many chapters devoted to characters we never really cared about, too many plot points ignored or dropped, and an ending that's really lame.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not even living, right? The game is just something they do IIRC.

That's why it's the best mmo fiction thing

It's basically just ultimaragnaeve online fanfiction and That's Okay

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
ISSTH 339: Lord Fifth fucks the sky to death.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
"I’ve seen a lot of comments speculating about Lord Fifth being the Lord of the Fifth Mountain. I want to explain something about that. The “Lord” in Lord Fifth’s name is a different Chinese character than the one used in the “Lords” of the Mountains. In English it makes it seem as if there’s a connection, but in Chinese that’s not the case (of course that doesn’t preclude there being a connection, just not because of the word “Lord.”"

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Some Kumoko LN scans:

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Kumoko is so loving cute

I thought the earth dragon would looked different

Mother is way bigger than I thought

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kumoko owns

earth dragon looks regal as gently caress, i expected it to be a lot squatter and salamander-ish

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Momma spider so swole~~

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
So first LN finishes at around WN chapter 60 with the big monkey fight.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I got my copy thanks to a friend and it's a lovely little book. Can't read it yet, but I want to try and I wanna do my part to help it sell because I need a Kumoko anime.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Picked up the first five volumes of Spice and Wolf. Currently at book 2. Really enjoyable so far. Volume 4 apparently got skipped in the anime, so I'm looking forward to reading that.

I think I prefer Lawrence in the novels, he's more or less the same in the anime, but he's a pretty pleasant person in his thoughts. Very little snark/rear end in a top hat comments about other people in his head.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Theowulv posted:

Picked up the first five volumes of Spice and Wolf. Currently at book 2. Really enjoyable so far. Volume 4 apparently got skipped in the anime, so I'm looking forward to reading that.

I think I prefer Lawrence in the novels, he's more or less the same in the anime, but he's a pretty pleasant person in his thoughts. Very little snark/rear end in a top hat comments about other people in his head.

They're great, just finished vol 16

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I got my copy thanks to a friend and it's a lovely little book. Can't read it yet, but I want to try and I wanna do my part to help it sell because I need a Kumoko anime.

I'll order it in January, when some other LNs I follow are released.

I've started reading Honzuki no Gekokujou now, and so far (up to ch 16) it actually seems to be easier than Kumoko. The writing is more novel-like instead of Kumoko's stream-of-consciousness, and there's no net/gaming slang. There's some uncommon vocab, but Kumoko also has a ton of that.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Tamba posted:

I've started reading Honzuki no Gekokujou now, and so far (up to ch 16) it actually seems to be easier than Kumoko. The writing is more novel-like instead of Kumoko's stream-of-consciousness, and there's no net/gaming slang. There's some uncommon vocab, but Kumoko also has a ton of that.

Don't miss the side stories! Bit tiresome to keep track of when you're supposed to read them, though. Not sure you can do better than to keep an eye on the date they were posted.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man i miss my kumoko translations. That new group has really dropped the ball. I think its because of a medical issue, but the god drat group still is releasing chapters of something called Slave Harem every day :suicide:

Can anyone else pick up kumoko? Blastron is still working on the retranslation, allthough he is also on vacation at the moment.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I started reading ISSTH a couple days ago which turned into marathoning the whole thing real quick

holy moly is it a fun read

I wasn't sure what the deal was with the mirror in the beginning but boy was that the best, most incredibly delayed payoff ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah I'm probably going to pick my translation work up again very soon

I haven't really kept up with the other TLs since turb0 stopped working; how'd they drop the ball? Did they just straight-up stop working on it?

• Locked thread