Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

A misanthrope posted:

i dont know but i hope he's doin good

he is a millennial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Minimalist Program posted:

he is a millennial

your are a millennial

i am a millennial

we are all millennials except for genesplicer

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

i'm pretty sure you can't promote outright racism against an entire group
Yes, you can. You might get sued but it's mostly legal.

quote:

In 1969, the Supreme Court protected a Ku Klux Klan member’s racist and hate-filled speech and created the "imminent danger" test to permit hate speech. The court ruled in Brandenburg v. Ohio that; "The constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a state to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force, or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action."

This test has been modified very little from its inception in 1969 and the formulation is still good law in the United States. Only speech that poses an imminent danger of unlawful action, where the speaker has the intention to incite such action and there is the likelihood that this will be the consequence of his or her speech, may be restricted and punished by that law.

quote:

In 2011, the Supreme Court issued their ruling on Snyder v. Phelps, which concerned the right of the Westboro Baptist Church to protest with signs found offensive by many Americans. The issue presented was whether the 1st Amendment protected the expressions written on the signs. In an 8-1 decision the court sided with Phelps, the head of Westboro Baptist Church, thereby confirming their historically strong protection of hate speech, so long as it doesn't promote imminent violence.

so what exactly does free speech cover? political ideologies?

Anything that doesn't either provoke or directly represent an imminent threat of unlawful action.

Even if I say, "I'm going to kill you", that's not likely to be considered unlawful in and of itself, there would need to be something more to it than that. Like if I said it repeatedly, to multiple people, at different times, or if there was evidence I actually made plans to commit a murder.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
How's Doob's new auto repair shop working out? Also, updates on hamburger steak?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Yes, you can. You might get sued but it's mostly legal.

Anything that doesn't either provoke or directly represent an imminent threat of unlawful action.

Even if I say, "I'm going to kill you", that's not likely to be considered unlawful in and of itself, there would need to be something more to it than that. Like if I said it repeatedly, to multiple people, at different times, or if there was evidence I actually made plans to commit a murder.

Haha trump for prez, he won't be able to kill anyone.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

i'm pretty sure you can't promote outright racism against an entire group

kill all white ppl

quote:

or attempt to incite a riot

no justice no peace

quote:

so what exactly does free speech cover?

things in lock step with progressive principles, such as killing all white ppl and rioting to get your way.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think the bottom line is that people are ignorant, stupid fucks by default regardless of what political ideology they follow. Americans in particular. Democracy doesn't work so well when all of your voters are dumb as bricks

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Earwicker posted:

I think we should go ahead and abolish all of the amendments. When people have rights they gently caress it all up so we should go back to having kings and emperors.

Heh, that's what Rand Paul's main idea was in the last Republican Debate. (At least for those pesky A-rabs).

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think the bottom line is that people are ignorant, stupid fucks by default regardless of what political ideology they follow. Americans in particular. Democracy doesn't work so well when all of your voters are dumb as bricks

But that's actually how democracy is supposed to work. Give dumb people the power to elect a smart person to do things for them. It all went horribly wrong when dumb people started to get votes.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
actually going to Yale campus this weekend, will report back.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Archer666 posted:

But that's actually how democracy is supposed to work. Give dumb people the power to elect a smart person to do things for them. It all went horribly wrong when dumb people started to get votes.

The problem is that dumb people tend to vote for dumb people.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A related problem is that there are a lot of dumb people.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gammatron 64 posted:

The problem is that dumb people tend to vote for dumb people.

The problem is that smart people don't vote because the dumb people decided to target the other dumb people for votes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

A related problem is that there are a lot of dumb people.

In fact, probably most people. Or all of them. There are no smart people, only people who are less dumb than others. People who believe they're smart tend to be the dumbest of them all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fox News has always been obsessed with policing the Ivy League

When I was a freshman (at Brown, I think I've said this on SA before so I'm not doxxing myself) there was a sex-themed party and Bill O'Reilly sent Jesse Watters there to videotape people's butts without permission so Bill could rant about liberals some more and Midwestern moms could tut-tut and be glad their precious little shnookums was going to a local Christian college instead

He did it again a couple years ago for some student-organized nudity seminar, which is obv bad because college students are having SEX :ohdear: :supaburn:

That said the Yale poo poo going on lately is a study on What Is Wrong With Modern Identity Politics in every phase, I just wish the people to be blowing the lid off it weren't doing so under the banner of conservatism because that's only going to encourage them

fake-edit: for the record, the night of the sex party in question I was baking cookies and playing Super Monkey Ball with a bunch of other wet blankets

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 17, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Archer666 posted:

But that's actually how democracy is supposed to work.

in other words, democracy isn't supposed to work.

americans love to jack off about how democracy is supposed to be some kind of ancient greek ideal. but there was never any stable long-term athenian democracy, democracy was more something athens tried every now and then and every time they did, the government collapsed under cronyism and factionalist in-fighting within a century or two.

I can only assume that it's survived as long as it has in the modern world because the american oligarchy has realised that the simplest way to control stupid people is to pretend that they have some kind of choice in the matter. the problem is our capitalist oligarchs are so shortsighted they don't realise that hurting the country for their own selfish gains is actually hurting them, too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

loquacius posted:

Fox News has always been obsessed with policing the Ivy League

Yeah one of the MOs of the New Right was that they had to chew away at these longstanding moderate institutions like Harvard and Yale (to a lesser extent Princeton, because of how conservative it has always been) and then try to make discourse coming from places like Liberty equivalent to the scholarship at Yale. One of the ways they do that is by belittling elite students who are interested in things like trigger warnings and social justice by mocking, misleading and misrepresenting them. Friendly reminder that the New Right is actually just protofascism, and that if you have anyone in your life subscribed to this ideology you should drown them in a rain barrel.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah one of the MOs of the New Right was that they had to chew away at these longstanding moderate institutions like Harvard and Yale (to a lesser extent Princeton, because of how conservative it has always been) and then try to make discourse coming from places like Liberty equivalent to the scholarship at Yale. One of the ways they do that is by belittling elite students who are interested in things like trigger warnings and social justice by mocking, misleading and misrepresenting them.

I dunno about all this -- it makes equally as much sense if you assume it's bog-standard anti-intellectualism plus a little sour grapes (those smart people don't like our ideology? Well they ain't so smart, look, they like having sex, how weird is that), but I wouldn't put it past the RNC et al to have a goal like this in mind.

quote:

Friendly reminder that the New Right is actually just protofascism, and that if you have anyone in your life subscribed to this ideology you should drown them in a rain barrel.

My fiancee's cousin's babydaddy (they have a kid but are not married even though she's intensely Catholic because he is an ancap and I suspect he is a red-piller) tried to argue against the ideal of democracy at Thanksgiving this year

I'd had three Southern Tier Pumkings (ABV: 8.6%) to his zero and I still managed to win the argument because it is a bullshit ideology

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

loquacius posted:

I dunno about all this -- it makes equally as much sense if you assume it's bog-standard anti-intellectualism plus a little sour grapes (those smart people don't like our ideology? Well they ain't so smart, look, they like having sex, how weird is that), but I wouldn't put it past the RNC et al to have a goal like this in mind.

My fiancee's cousin's babydaddy (they have a kid but are not married even though she's intensely Catholic because he is an ancap and I suspect he is a red-piller) tried to argue against the ideal of democracy at Thanksgiving this year

I'd had three Southern Tier Pumkings (ABV: 8.6%) to his zero and I still managed to win the argument because it is a bullshit ideology

I'm not any kind of conspiracy theorist but the New Right movement, complete with their own 24 hour news cycle, think tanks, universities, facts and - eventually - "truth" is a well documented phenomenon in American politics.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

op aren't you like 19? fox news is for the OLD white bigots

what you want is breitbart.com, which is for the young white bigots
i get all of my news from the hip website "forums.somethingawful.com"

also sometimes the CNN app pops up alerts on my phone and i catch a quick glimpse of whatever country had a suicide bombing today

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Glad to see Leno's "Jay-walking" bit has been stolen by conservative media

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jimmy Kimmel did a thing a while ago where he went out and got women to sign a petition to end women's suffrage, because "suffrage" doesn't sound like a good thing and a lot of people don't know what it means

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The American right wing has been batshit loving insane since the rise of the 24-hour news cycle and talk radio, and it's a goddamn shame that the left is starting to join them after the rise of blogs, twitter and tumblr. Whenever I see people talking politics, I get the impression that we live in a country of irrational, screaming lunatics. The inmates are running the asylum.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you maniacs... america was designed to be a constitutional republic.

you can thank your "intellectual" forebears in the progressive movement for giving the landless, the vagina-having, the melanin-enhanced, and all other sorts of useless soft-brained layabouts the frucking franchise

ah drat you

drat you all to hell!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

students at elite universities are dumb babies, this is news to no one

they'll graduate and they'll either grow out of it or they'll stay in academia growing fringier and more irrelevant

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

The American right wing has been batshit loving insane since the rise of the 24-hour news cycle and talk radio, and it's a goddamn shame that the left is starting to join them after the rise of blogs, twitter and tumblr. Whenever I see people talking politics, I get the impression that we live in a country of irrational, screaming lunatics. The inmates are running the asylum.

you lost me :confused:

so you are saying that since you are a sociopath we should give human rights to non-americans? dime bag darren would roll over in his grave. you need to check your privledges at the coat check on oyur way into the freakin mental ward, virgin.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i'm pretty sure when i was an undergrad if someone had circulated a petition calling for the grinding of 1 in every 4 new babies into nutritious mush i woulda gone lol and signed it as weedlord bonerhitler

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i once signed a petition to commission the the raising of the U.S.S. arizona and also the razing of arizona.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Drink Cheerwine posted:

you maniacs... america was designed to be a constitutional republic.

you can thank your "intellectual" forebears in the progressive movement for giving the landless, the vagina-having, the melanin-enhanced, and all other sorts of useless soft-brained layabouts the frucking franchise

ah drat you

drat you all to hell!

i say *puffs tobacco*

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Hahahah, that guy, the jew guy from the story, is named AMY!!! hahahaha/!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dad gay. so what posted:

i once signed a petition to commission the the raising of the U.S.S. arizona and also the razing of arizona.
thank you for serving your country

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

dad gay. so what posted:

The Coen brothers make good films.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

i dont want to read a bunch of legal documents on the US constitution, but isn't free speech not entirely protected anyways? like you can't just go around saying whatever you want. you can't threaten the life of the president, you can't make oral contracts and then back out, and i'm pretty sure you can't promote outright racism against an entire group or attempt to incite a riot. so what exactly does free speech cover? political ideologies?

more or less, and religions

the most egregious cases against free speech though that are still good law are against communists, so that's the no-no political ideology

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Kitchner posted:

What is it with news websites and videos these days? I don't want to watch a lovely loving video, tell me what the petition said and give me some quotes of why students said they supported it.

loving journalists.

:agreed:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Friendly reminder that the New Right is actually just protofascism, and that if you have anyone in your life subscribed to this ideology you should drown them in a rain barrel.

Friendly reminder that the young wannabe left is also full of rabid [trigger warning: bad words] oppressive authoritarians except they haven't been running things yet so gently caress em both

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i wouldn't be surprised if some of those students don't know what the 1st amendment is. there are a lot of dumbasses out there, even at a place like yale

the hardcore left-wing assholes (the "SJWs") have more in common with that Missouri state legislator who wants to prevent college athletes from protesting than either party would like to admit. however, those lefties are a very loud minority on college campuses and should be mocked accordingly

Roy posted:

The neat thing though, unless we have a communist revolution over night, odds are that a ban on free speech is mainly going to be used to silence liberals and progressives. That power is going straight to the conservative religious right and those with economic power.
yeah exactly. this is the Missouri guy i referred to

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 18, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Haier posted:

LOL @ people who say this.

They're cops so it's ok.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

omg look at that douche

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Roy posted:

omg look at that douche

ah gently caress he's a young republican, the kind that's more openly bold about their hard right and borderline fascist beliefs

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

nomadologique posted:

"do you wan to sign a petition?"
"sure i'm a college student who cares about stuff"

(signs without reading or listening to anything)

proves a lot that's for sure

Yeah pretty much- "As a college student, I like to be INVOLVED and also as a Millenial I like to see my name on things"

SlipUp posted:

I remember my freshman year. Some lunatic killed a dog by dragged it behind his truck, the next day the resident SJW was out with a petition she did up in like 30 minutes in excel.

It was titled "Petition for Animal Abuse".

I signed it.

lol

ArbitraryC posted:

I seriously see people complain about unformatted walls of text with a post that's literally a single paragraph with a couple of sentences. Its like people have gotten used to how many words they can see on their cellphone screen at a given time and think anything past that is longwinded.

Yeah it's really annoying and I think you've hit the reason for it on the head. It's sad how most English classes I'm in for have switched from novels to novellas because students won't and/or can't read for long lengths of time, and they're not going to read at home.

I was in for English 12 class a few weeks ago and they were reading Animal Farm and the months-away-from-graduating students told me that they couldn't understand what the characters were saying to each other haha

• Locked thread