Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Logic dictates: Give that boy a shotgun.
As much as that is a good idea in-game (nice, cheap ALL weapon for a pilot to use), I half-expect Arado to somehow mess up handling a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

KataraniSword posted:

Logic dictates: Give that boy a shotgun.

It's OGs, that goes for literally everyone whose unit can equip weapons.

God I love the Shotgun so much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wounded Land posted:

Fixed that for you.

GBA still wins. :colbert:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 19, Ethiopia Route

Here we are again. Bullet is two kills shy of what he needs for the (largely superfluous) secret that he's trying to get. I shuffle Kai back into the Grungust after his one-turn vacation from killing bosses, and I pick up SP Regen for the leaderboard crew, who are the only ones with enough PP to buy it at this point. I also dump most of my current cash on upgrading a shotgun, because those always come in handy. Normally I'd give it to Kai, but since he's on Grungust duty it goes on Rai for the mission.

Intro

quote:

Now that Operation Desert Cross is underway, Lemon wants to test "the initial lot." She instructs Echidna to lead them into battle and target the Hagane. Vindel is concerned about the silence from W17, but grudgingly accepts Lemon's explanations about her technical difficulties.

Van asks Archibald to send somebody along with Echidna for observation; Archibald orders Yuuki and Carla to see to it, realizing that Van is less trusting in Vindel than he appears.

Aboard the Hagane, Daitetsu briefs the crew on the dismal state of Operation Mole Hunt and the political situation. An alert sounds, warning of an enemy force; the Hagane moves to intercept, but the enemy ships seem intend on forcing their way through at any cost.

Mission 19: Wise Doll

Objectives: Take out the enemies without losing either Bullet or Lamia (both of whom deployed automatically), and without letting any of the enemy Rhinos reach the opposite side of the map. Clear the entire map within ten turns for the mastery.

I neglected to grab a screenshot of the map right away, so you get a little view of the future. What we have here is an unexpectedly lush and green section of the Arabian peninsula. We start at the north end of the map, while the enemies begin at the east. We have (or had) a few Fylgia tanks in the middle, while the bulk of the enemy force consists of some Landlions and Randgriths (which have settled in at around 8000 health apiece, now that they're standard grunt units). In addition we have three Rhinoceros carriers, which we have to prevent from crossing the map.

Also of note is the city to the west, which gives good defensive bonuses and 10% energy regen per turn. It doesn't look important now, but it will be.

Anyway, rewinding time a little bit...

Yuck. Fylgias have halfway decent armor, but these are parked in a forest, which confers a 20% damage reduction. This is still embarrassing.

Latooni is still level 11 (probably because Bullet, who's level 17, has been sucking up all the kills), so I have her mop up after Rai.

During the rest of the turn we push forward and take out a couple more tanks. Bullet takes point; with the Huckebein's upgrades he should be able to dance around the enemy fire - and even if he gets hit, he has SP regen, so recasting Grit isn't a big deal.

Enemy phase, Rhino #1 gets right up in Bullet's face. Guess who's dying first?

The Randgriths go for Bullet and whiff completely. The Landlions, on the other hand, focus on Lamia. Who has SP Regen, but I didn't cast Guard this turn because :downs:. (Also Guard costs 20 SP per cast and Lamia regens 10 per turn.) She doesn't end up in great shape.

On Turn 2 we get a support blob going and dogpile Rhino #1 to death. It only takes half the turn, and then triggers the next scene.

Scene

quote:

Echidna arrives with Yuuki and Carla in tow, leading a group of Gespensts. She orders the Gespensts to target the Hagane's engine block, and to execute "Code ATA" if they're shot down. She tells Yuuki and Carla to do as they like, but to stay out of the way. Carla is irritated by her attitude towards them, but Yuuki tells her just to wait and let the Gespensts protect the Rhinos.

Our objectives haven't changed, but now we've got MP Gespensts (same as Mission 17) all over the aforementioned city. There's something a little different about their pilots this time, though...

They're creepy robots. The W-Series pilots have notably better hit/dodge abilities than your average enemy grunt; they also have Support Attack, Support Defense, and Predict (which they won't get the morale to use on this mission).

In addition, we have Yuuki and Carla, who've traded in their Randgriths for R-Eins...

...And Echidna in the Rathgrith, which has more health and the Jammer ability, which has a 50% chance of disabling incoming missiles. Of course, most of our units attack with swords and punching, so.

Either way, the Rhinos are still the priority. Unfortunately, they're either in the lake or on the wrong side of it. We take a couple shots at Rhino #2...

And Irm moves over to keep the Landlions busy. The Armorlion has been upgraded, so it takes minimal damage while still being able to dish it out.

Keeping the Landlions busy is important, because here's the thing about this mission: it's framed as an offensive mission, where your goal is to strike quickly and destroy the enemy before they can escape. That's what Banpresto wants you to believe...

Because the awful truth is that this is a siege mission. You must send people out to keep the first batch of enemies busy...

Because those new Gespensts will focus exclusively on the Hagane, and you can't really afford to have everybody else shooting at it too. Their damage isn't amazing, but with a capital ship it doesn't really matter how skilled the pilot is, you're getting hit regardless, so they add up. And then some.

In short, we have three priorities here:

1) Distract the first pack of enemies from attacking the Hagane
2) Kill those frbljrgling Gespensts before they can kill the Hagane
3) oh yeah, kill the rhinos before they escape because they're still crossing the map

Recognizing the pain to come, the Hagane defends against everything...

...But a couple of Gespests aren't close enough to reach the Hagane, so they attack Irm.

And Irm shows them what for.

Anyway, we're only two full turns in, and we have two Rhinos (who have been doggedly pushing forward all along) and an army of killer Gespies to deal with. We need to reorganize a little.

...Right after we kill off Rhino #2, which once again takes the efforts of half of our crew. (Also, after moving people around for maximum supports, Bullet and Lamia are now guarding the left side.)

Killing a second Rhino triggers the next scene, as well.

Scene

quote:

Upon seeing another ship destroyed with no effort on the Gespensts' part to protect it, Carla angrily demands to know why Echidna isn't doing anything. Echidna coldly replies that those aren't her orders; hearing this, Carla rushes forward to protect the last ship herself. Bullet moves to intercept her. Realizing that they're effectively on their own, Yuuki moves to Carla's defense and tells her to withdraw.

For his part, Yuuki doesn't have any patience for Bullet's anger over the DCs' actions, although this time he does invite Bullet to join the Divine Crusaders himself - if he "truly" wants to protect the Earth. Bullet points out there's clearly more going on than Yuuki suspects, citing the sudden buildup of forces and the mechs that don't exist yet. Yuuki abruptly drops the conversation.

So, two Rhinos down, but most of the other grunts are still standing. Kai moves to start attacking the Gespensts; if they're going to focus on the Hagane, somebody has to try to kill them.

Of course, God hates me.

The Gespensts have good numbers. The one here is defending, not dodging, but Kyosuke only pulls a 60% on it.

BUT STILL.

at least i can imagine how much damage I would have done if you hadn't blocked

and dream

Anyway. We end the turn with Latooni playing lightning rod in the east, Kyosuke and Lamia doing the same in the south, and the Hagane still drawing fire from every Gespenst on the map. Echidna's up there somewhere, but she hasn't really moved yet.

Rhino #3 (the last one) moves here. I'm sure it won't be a problem. :shepface:

The entire eastern force fixates on Latooni.

I really wish the Raubtier was a unit worth upgrading for OG2, but we're going to continue doing this for a few more missions.

Also a couple Randgriths take cover in the lake. The Raubtier's main weapon is a beam cannon, so Latooni is SOL here.

The southern enemies focus on Lamia and get blown up. Another round of blowing-up and they won't be a problem any longer.

Meanwhile, the Hagane has enough morale that its E-Field is working. It won't kill the robo-Gespies, but it'll protect the ship from damage at least.

The Gespies who are farthest from the Hagane can't move and attack the ship on the same turn, so they attack the nearest target. GO FORTH, BEOWULF KYOSUKE NANBU

Daitetsu: "The Gespensts are focusing on the ship!"
Tetsuya: "AA cannons, full barrage! Don't let them get near the Hagane!"
Daitetsu: (But what is this? Their movements are too perfectly synchronized...)

Anyway, the eastern enemies (the ones in the lower right, this perspective is borked) are thoroughly mesmerized by Latooni's presence, so she'll stay there. Everybody else has important work to do.

Bad guys, meet shotgun.

Bullet: "These Gespensts aren't moving like the ones from the other day!"
Irm: "I noticed. It's almost robotic."
Rai: "Are they AI-controlled?"
Lamia: "....."

Latooni: "I... I remember this attack pattern."
Kai: "You do? Really?"
Latooni: "Yes. We studied something similar in the School."
Kyosuke: "You think those pilots are other School graduates?"
Latooni: "No... if it were one of my sisters, I'd know... I'm sure they're not the pilots."

Bullet: "I'm wondering... are these Gespenst pilots even human?"
Kyosuke: "....."

We need to kill that last Rhino, but we've got a bit of a problem.

Two Gespies have parked next to it, and their W-Series pilots will support-defend it, taking embarrassingly low amounts of damage in the process. Ideally you want to body-block Rhino #3 to keep it from moving forward, preventing this situation from ever arising. But then you wouldn't get to laugh at me for my incompetence.

Even better, if you attack the Gespies directly, they will block to avoid taking lethal damage.

If their health gets too low they'll just evade, which tends to give you sub-50% hitrates. Thankfully Lamia has plenty of SP to cast Strike.

Lamia: (This unit... absolutely no variance in its motions. The same for the others. An AI? No, they're like me...)

Lamia: (...But I have a mission to accomplish. Nothing else matters.)

We'll wear them down yet.

Bullet moved out of position to attack Carla, but I bring him back to kill off the other Rhino-blocker.

Kai moves in to attack the Rhino and makes another unpleasant discovery: now that there's only one left, it defends against all attacks. Even using our strongest attacks (Darkness Blade here), it'll take quite a few hits to bring it down.

Latooni futilely blasts away at the Randgriths in the lake. Rai's going to have to step in and relieve her, I think.

Lamia finishes off the Landlions; the south side of our group is clear now.

And the last Rhino starts to pull away. Not good.

In better news, the Hagane has enough morale that its energy field will absorb the brunt of the Gespensts' attacks - at least for as long as the ship's energy holds out.

Yuuki only has eyes for Bullet.

Too bad for him.

On the next turn, Kai, Kyosuke, and Bullet all go chasing after the Rhino. They still only bring it down to 6000 health.

Rai gives the Randgriths a taste of the ol' shotgun.

Everybody else tussles with the Gespensts.

Another enemy phase, and Rhino #3 is now only two moves away from the edge of the map. I'm just lucky it keeps missing the buildings; an extra 20% defensive bonus is the last thing I want to deal with.

Echidna finally gets close enough to attack us. She goes for Latooni (using status weapons), so I have her dodge.

Latooni: "Why are you using the School's attack patterns?"
Echidna: (A School graduate... naturally she would recognize them.)

I like the Rathgrith's design. It's much more Mechwarrior than anime bots usually get.

Not pictured: me accidentally forcing Yuuki to retreat and doing the turn over. The second time around I have Lamia closer to the action and Echidna focuses on her instead.

Lamia: (The Rathgrith... is this the leader?)

Lamia: (A communication... this is W16's code. So it's not the Chief...)
Echidna: "I see your covert transmitter is functioning, W17."
Lamia: "Is there a new mission?"
Echidna: "No. This is different."

Lamia: "Different? Does it have to do with the Gespensts?"
Echidna: "Yes. You know of our brothers, do you not?"
Lamia: (So mass production has begun...)

Echidna: "The mission will end soon, and we will withdraw. Have you found any information pertaining to Helios?"
Lamia: "Not yet. When I have more details, I'll report them. And also... did you bring a replacement language synapse?"
Echidna: "It will take more time to prepare."
Lamia: "I understand."

Echidna: "Now, fight. They must not suspect you."

The Angelg's After-Image is still functioning well. Unfortunately Lamia's low on both ammo and energy, and an annoying little "feature" of the game is that you can't load units into the carrier if they were automatically deployed. There's a supply unit on one of my people, but you have to finagle everybody into the right position to do that.

Yuuki continues pursuing Bullet, and I don't hit him quite as hard this time.

Kai and Bullet finally take down the last Rhino. Now we just have to finish clearing the map before the 10-turn timer expires. This is actually only the beginning of Turn 6, incidentally. Feels like it's been a lot longer.

In any case, with the Rhino no longer a priority, the few remaining Gespensts fall quickly, leaving us with just the two bosses.

Echidna is maneuverable enough that we don't want to try our good attacks against her without Strike.

Ouch.

We spend a turn or so trying to get our people back together from their Rhino-hunting excursion. Both Yuuki and Echidna flee at around 50% of their health, which shouldn't be an issue for the R-Eins but is a bit more daunting for the Angriff.

Lamia is now pretty much out of energy, so she really needs that resupply.

At the beginning of Turn 8 Kai disposes of Yuuki in the usual manner.

He also learns Grit, which is nice, considering that he still had no survivability spirits.

Yuuki: "Tch, the Tesla Drive... there's no choice, I have to retreat."
Bullet: "Wait!"

Yuuki: "Tell me your name, Fed pilot."
Bullet: "What?"
Yuuki: "I'm Yuuki Jaggar. You?"
Bullet: "Brooklyn Luckfield!"
Yuuki: "Then I'll see you later... Brooklyn."

Bullet: "Yuuki... Yuuki Jaggar...!"

I'm sure this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :gonk:

Yuuki actually has several battle conversations on this mission, none of which we saw live:

quote:

Kyosuke: "You've got to show your hand sooner or later."
Yuuki: "Doesn't matter what my hand is, just so long as it wins."
Kyosuke: "But only a fool plays without even looking at his cards."
Yuuki: "...!"

quote:

Rai: "First you take the Falken and Huckebeins, now you show up riding this."
Yuuki: "Hmph. You're pretty hung up on my mech."
Rai: "Naturally. You're piloting a mech that doesn't exist."
Yuuki: "...!"

quote:

Irm: "That mech. I want to know where and how you built it."
Yuuki: "Do you really expect me to tell you?"
Irm: "No. But I'll get it from you eventually."

quote:

Latooni: "Did Seolla go back to the Earth Cradle?"
Yuuki: "You're the pilot she tried to contact. You know about her..."
Latooni: "Stop making her fight. She needs to be free."
Yuuki: "You think she'll listen after you killed her partner?"
Latooni: "No, he's---"

We wear the Rathgrith down a bit more, but we're now nearing her retreat threshold.

This'll be a bit of a pinch, but we spend the last couple turns getting mechs juiced up again and line up a combo to try and take her out.

That was pretty close. Taking out Echidna isn't something to lose sleep over, since she only drops a Dualsensor (+10% accuracy), but it's a pride thing.

Also...

Secret Weapon (complete)
Bullet must be level 18 and have 45 kills by Mission 21

Spoiler, it's the Shishioh Blade again, and it's not really as memorable as in the first game. But it's a pride thing.

Echidna: "Their strength is increasing... the mission is complete. Withdrawing."

Lamia: (Our... brothers?)

Echidna had a short battle convo with Bullet as well:

quote:

Echidna: "They're doing well against the mass-produced series."
Bullet: "What's this feeling... this pilot's the same as the others?"

Battle mastery get. :toot:

There are no more enemy contacts on the radar, although Daitetsu is loath to call it a victory. The Hagane's engines have been heavily damaged in the battle. There's no time to stop and lick their wounds, though; while the engines are being repaired, the PT contingent must go ahead to rendezvous with the main force.

Closing

quote:

Investigation of the wrecked Gespensts reveals no sign that there was ever a pilot in them - but the cockpits are configured for human use, rather than AI control. Lamia thinks that if she fails, she'll face the same fate. Meanwhile, word comes in from the Hiryu that Excellen, Ryusei, and Katina's people will be rejoining them - and of the encounter with a new enemy force at Mao Industries.

For now, the Hagane is to rendezvous with the Shirogane at Muta base in Egypt, before the Federation withdraws its forces to Aviano to regroup for a counteroffensive.

Lemon reviews the data recovered from the mission. It's time to move to the next phase, for which they'll be using "him" in Axel's place. Lemon plans to send "him" after the Wulf, though it'll probably make Axel angry...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

Because those new Gespensts will focus exclusively on the Hagane, and you can't really afford to have everybody else shooting at it too. Their damage isn't amazing, but with a capital ship it doesn't really matter how skilled the pilot is, you're getting hit regardless, so they add up.

:colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Beat me to it.

Anyhew, this mission is...kind of dull. Aside from introducing (properly, that is) the W-Series pilots, this is another chain in Banpresto's attempt to make Bullet look cool. His rivalry with Yuuki just falls flat, especially with how extremely dense Yuuki is regarding everything around him. Like, you could have Zangief piledrive a colony onto Yuuki's head and it'd manage to bounce off because his head is so painfully dense.

Then again, the next few missions for both routes are very rough (Ethiopia's next mission involves loving BARRELIONS again :argh:), so I'll take the dull in-between and poorly handled rivalry for what it's worth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Beat me to it.

Anyhew, this mission is...kind of dull. Aside from introducing (properly, that is) the W-Series pilots, this is another chain in Banpresto's attempt to make Bullet look cool. His rivalry with Yuuki just falls flat, especially with how extremely dense Yuuki is regarding everything around him. Like, you could have Zangief piledrive a colony onto Yuuki's head and it'd manage to bounce off because his head is so painfully dense.

Then again, the next few missions for both routes are very rough (Ethiopia's next mission involves loving BARRELIONS again :argh:), so I'll take the dull in-between and poorly handled rivalry for what it's worth.

Bullet's big problem is that he wasn't the cool guy in his original game. So they keep trying to forcibly shove him directly into a round hole when he's the squarest of pegs and it doesn't work. He's a great supporting cast member but he just doesn't have the chutzpah to carry the role they want him to.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Bullet's big problem is that he wasn't the cool guy in his original game. So they keep trying to forcibly shove him directly into a round hole when he's the squarest of pegs and it doesn't work. He's a great supporting cast member but he just doesn't have the chutzpah to carry the role they want him to.
Oh definitely. Bullet works well within the ATX Team's dynamic as their straight guy/comedic overreaction guy. He helps make Excellen's antics flow well, provides a nice contrast to the more serious Kyosuke (and Lamia, for that matter), and is a great support for Kusuha's cheerful attitude...when he's not stumbling to admit his affections for her. It's just that Bullet cannot hold the main character spotlight because nothing has been adjusted either in his characterization or the world around him. If something was changed in either of those two things, Bullet might be able to sell himself as a main character. Instead, we have his base Alpha characterization thrown into the wild with no help to make it succeed and grow.

That said, god bless Tomokazu Sugita for trying his hardest to sell Bullet to the audience, even if it ultimately doesn't work.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I remember going into Alpha 3 blind and being very surprised when Battle 7 actually dodged attacks.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Battle 7 ain't a patch on the Mother Vanguard.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Valstork would have dodged most of those hits, with either of its captains.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I was really disappointed when Max decided to start flying a lovely Valkyrie instead of captaining the Battle 7. It was such a downgrade.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kyosuke can go gently caress himself.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

implying that Yuuki is in any way comparable to a Joestar

:colbert:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

That was not the intent of my post and I apologize profusely

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Onmi posted:

That was not the intent of my post and I apologize profusely

That's okay, because the relevant part is still valid:

Onmi posted:

Kyosuke can go gently caress himself.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I don't think Yuuki's dense as much as willfully ignorant. Either that or *he's* the secret evil mastermind :v:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Onmi posted:

Kyosuke will turn it around and make you gently caress yourself by sheer force of will.

FIFY.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

After playing OG1 and finding it too easy (even as my first SRW), I decided I would try some interesting things with the mechanics which I thought I understood pretty well at the time. For OG2, I decided I would make both of my battleships into dodgetanks.

It uh, it didn't work very well. Really made stages like this one a... Memorable experience, let's say. Years later I played Alpha 3 and did the same thing with Max, except this time it went smoothly! :v:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 19, Moon Route

I managed not to capture the setup for this mission, but anyway: upgrades for a shotgun (which I moved to Katina's R-Blade) and to the R-1.

Intro

quote:

Team Katina reaches the staging area for Desert Squall. As they perform final checks, they're informed that they'll be rendezvousing with the Shirogane on the ground. Excellen isn't too happy to hear the news, although Katina is looking forward to putting Lee in his place, based on what she's heard.

Down on the ground, the Federation force is in disarray due to being attacked on multiple fronts; only the Shirogane has made it to the base. Lee realizes that there's nothing to do but wait for their drop troops...

Mission 19: God of the Sword

Objective: Clear out the enemy without losing anybody. As a "fun" battle mastery, we need to keep all of the Federation Lions alive to the end of the mission.

The enemy force consists of a lone Rhinoceros accompanied by seven Randgriths, a few Landlions, and handfuls of Fylgias and Sorpresas. Nothing too intimidating, but then again we've got a single battleship accompanied by four NPC grunts.

I have Lee use Strike and put him in front to get a head start on killing things.

He ends up damaging a few Sorpresas, but takes some pretty scary damage himself. I would've had him cast Guard, but his SP reserves are pretty limited; I'm also hoping that by critically damaging the fighters, the NPC Lions can take them out without getting counterattacked.

This plan fails to account for the NPC Lions being terrible. :sigh:

Even when they hit, they do things like this. No kills this turn. :catstare:

Thankfully, once the grunts have taken their turn, some competent people arrive.

Scene

quote:

Our pilots take the battlefield with their characteristic professionalism (or lack thereof). Lee isn't pleased to see who's come to his rescue, and his order to protect the Shirogane "with your lives, if need be" immediately sets Katina off as well. Fortunately (?) for them both, there are larger concerns at hand.

Now that the cavalry is here, we have to get a move on before the Lions get themselves killed.

Katina, show them how it's done.

Leona and Russell follow to help clear out the Sorpresas. Russell parks next to Lee, because I've, uh, "forgotten" that grounded units can't support-defend flying ones.

Tasuku, Excellen, and Ryusei dive head-first into the base defenders. The Randgriths are a bit more resilient than they were on Kyosuke's route, although that's most likely due to all the cash I poured into Revolver Stake and Chakram Shooter.

The first real enemy phase begins. As planned, Tasuku face-tanks half of the base defenders. Unfortunately the Gan-Duro's lack of non-ridiculous-overkill options for ranged attacks means that most of them get off unharmed.

Most, not all.

Meanwhile, Ryusei dodge-tanks the other half of the base defenders. Depressingly, none of them die this turn.

Although one of the remaining Sorpresas goes after Katina and gets taken out. The other gets nice and cozy with Lee.

It then gets taken out by Feds on the next phase. :downsbravo: Now that half our team isn't tied up with the fighters, we can bring the hammer down.

That's a little more like it.

Ryusei and Excellen both move up into positions where they can properly engage more of the enemy, and Leona moves next to Tasuku for that sweet, sweet love bonus.

On the next enemy phase Excellen starts whittling down the Rhino. We need to try and take it out before the Feds get there, since I don't give them good odds of surviving against it.

Now that we're actually in position, we make short work of the other defenders. Most are dead this by the end of this enemy phase.

Not all, though, which means the Feds have time to catch up.

I'd say that even NPC grunts can't screw up against an enemy with 600 health, but he still barely did it. :sweat:

At this point we can count on the enemies to kill themselves via our counterattacks, so let's beat down that Rhinoceros as fast as possible.

But alas, it's not enough. Oh no. The computer will steal my battleship kill from me!

:doh:

I'm just lucky that somebody more heavily-damaged didn't try to go for it.

It doesn't take too long for Ryusei to clean up afterward.

:toot:

And with that, we're done!

...Wait, what was that mission title again?

Closing

quote:

With the defenders cleared out, Lee's troops move to occupy the base. There's no time to celebrate the victory, however. Another enemy takes the field: a super robot resembling a Grungust. Its masked pilot identifies himself as "Wodan Ymir, the Sword of Magus." The crew recognizes his voice immediately, but before anyone can react, the new mech draws a Zankanto and attacks Tasuku, critically damaging the Giganscudo.

Wodan is mildly surprised that the Gigan is still in one piece. Tasuku shakily replies that it's not the first time, then goes silent, despite Leona's attempts to raise him. Furious, Katina demands that Sanger Zonvolt explain himself; however, the pilot maintains that his name is Wodan Ymir, and that he's never heard of Sanger. Nobody believes this, but there's no time to pursue it further. Wodan attacks again, severely damaging the Shirogane, and a second later a massive enemy force arrives, poised to surround Belfodio. Lee has no choice but to order a retreat; the pilots take the disabled Giganscudo and flee with it in tow.

In the Earth Cradle, Lemon and Vindel seem pleased with the way Desert Cross has been performing under Colonel Van's leadership. As for his adjustments, the defense of the base speaks for itself; there were some concerns about maintaining control, but they've been laid to rest. Vindel decides that Wodan will take Axel's place in their operations for the time being.

Tasuku is rushed to the infirmary on the Shirogane, although it appears - again - that he's pulled through without severe injuries. The crew can't wrap their head around facing Sanger as an enemy again. Yes, he joined the DCs once, but then turned his back on them himself. The possibility of brainwashing comes up, but the idea of Sanger being captured is even harder to accept. Only Katina seems prepared to acknowledge the basic facts: whoever they just faced, he's going to be a serious threat in the future.

gently caress.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

First time I played this I was all "gently caress, sanger not again".

I wasnt ready for another half to 3/4s of a game without a german samurai that is on my side.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
IT

BEGINS

This guy is where the game takes off its kiddie gloves and leaves you with a warning.

The game won't play nice.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yep, this is where all the people who played Alpha Gaiden were all 'No no no no no NO!'

Or conversely, this is why you'd do that while playing Alpha Gaiden, if you played OG2 first like I did.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I had a friend who played OG1 then Alpha Gaiden. He didn't recognize the character theme song but he went 'gently caress' at seeing the pilot.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
As long as we're comparing Sanger to things, Wodan's also a homage in Endless Frontier Exceed, where his appearance matches the main villain, Gagun Laos. It weirdly took me forever to figure this out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I absolutely love the remix of Gate of Magus. :allears: It's the right mix of menacing and intimidating for a boss character. Definitely one of the better remixes in the game. That said, you can imagine the surprise when Wodan first appeared, probably causing a lot of :stonk: from people.

By the way, for those keeping score, here's the plot rundown as of the end of this stage:

--OG plot
--Lamia's route from Advance
--Arado's route from Alpha 2 (guest starring Latooni)
--Impact's plot
--Preview of another plot that'll be properly revealed in a few stages
--Ibis' route from Alpha 2 (kind of)
--Leftovers from Alpha 1 that OG1 didn't cover
--And now, Alpha Gaiden just popped up to say "SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER" (requesting a Wodan version of that gif)

We're only 20ish stages into the game and already we have about 8 plot threads running around. And you know what, there's still some more to come!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AradoBalanga posted:

I absolutely love the remix of Gate of Magus. :allears: It's the right mix of menacing and intimidating for a boss character. Definitely one of the better remixes in the game. That said, you can imagine the surprise when Wodan first appeared, probably causing a lot of :stonk: from people.

By the way, for those keeping score, here's the plot rundown as of the end of this stage:

--OG plot
--Lamia's route from Advance
--Arado's route from Alpha 2 (guest starring Latooni)
--Impact's plot
--Preview of another plot that'll be properly revealed in a few stages
--Ibis' route from Alpha 2 (kind of)
--Leftovers from Alpha 1 that OG1 didn't cover
--And now, Alpha Gaiden just popped up to say "SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER" (requesting a Wodan version of that gif)

We're only 20ish stages into the game and already we have about 8 plot threads running around. And you know what, there's still some more to come!

I like this stage just for the gently caress you randgirth storm. Just a titanic insult on the injury that wodan causes by smiting you. I think most people think first time that it is just gonna be him cleaving tatsuki, then the ship and then he'd go off, but nope, everything is artillery mechs instead, run.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

And this starts one of the better arcs in OG2. Zengar is great, the Thrudgelmir is great, The Gate of Magus is great, Alpha Gaiden is great. On top all that it adds another layer of fuckery to this OG crossover, what's not to love?

Oh right, fighting him. That's not a fun thing. Well, at least nobody will complain stages with him are too easy!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wodan, you are my spirit animal. :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
While it's a great way to bring back the Thrudgelmir, I'm still kinda sad we won't get a Post-Apocalyptic OG game. Unless they keep the Z plot msotly intact.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

MonsieurChoc posted:

While it's a great way to bring back the Thrudgelmir, I'm still kinda sad we won't get a Post-Apocalyptic OG game. Unless they keep the Z plot msotly intact.

The Z plot would provide a pretty convenient excuse to delay their approach to the Alpha 3 plotline.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
2ndOG spent a lot of time building a giant flashing neon sign that said "ALPHA 3 NEXT", I really don't think they're going to throw that out to faff around doing Z.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

2ndOG spent a lot of time building a giant flashing neon sign that said "ALPHA 3 NEXT", I really don't think they're going to throw that out to faff around doing Z.
And then the Dark Prison DLC threw up a second giant neon sign that said "WE'RE ALSO DOING J NEXT", so unless they want to bog down stuff even more, Z's kind of out of the picture.

Then again, OG opted to adapt Alpha 1's plot barely a year after it was completed, so...yeah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This is why the Moon Route is far better than the Land route. In the moon route we get our first introduction to the SRW 3 villains, we get Arado being cool, the R-1 Back, Orbital Dropping into a base we would have taken if the Sword of Magus hadn't just shown up.

Kyosuke had to deal with Yuuki and Carla again. Clear winner: Moon Route.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

And then the Dark Prison DLC threw up a second giant neon sign that said "WE'RE ALSO DOING J NEXT", so unless they want to bog down stuff even more, Z's kind of out of the picture.

Then again, OG opted to adapt Alpha 1's plot barely a year after it was completed, so...yeah.

Thankfully I've got a few years of LP to go before we get that far, so maybe we'll have some definitive answers by then.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Oh boy, it's the Sludgemill :v: (I hate that freakin' robot.)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

AradoBalanga posted:

The thing about Z is that the last game kind of ended with everybody heading into the very same big dimensional portal that was also at the end of 2nd OGs implying that we're basically just going to get the four main characters and maybe the Solarian.

So basically they're likely to not actually do Z.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Gyra_Solune posted:

The thing about Z is that the last game kind of ended with everybody heading into the very same big dimensional portal that was also at the end of 2nd OGs implying that we're basically just going to get the four main characters and maybe the Solarian.

So basically they're likely to not actually do Z.

Sorry but no, it's not.

The thing is just a gate that was developed by Earth's own people to enable travel inbetween the newly-separated worlds (which is why, at the end of 3.2, it's now called "Trans-Dimensional World") and, aside from the similar appearance, there is absolutely no indication that they have anything to do with Crossgates.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
huh, i guess i thought they were supposed to be the same thing, given the game ends on that, so I figured it was meant to be a sort of 'oh poo poo so that's what's going on' deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Alpha 3 begins with a Crossgate showing up.

• Locked thread