Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

Yeah! I remember that from way back when I originally played this game! With a note next to the minefield by Bruno saying, "Sometimes you need to wait for the right equipment to go everywhere."

Close! When Bruno died there was a book next to him that I couldn't photograph since I didn't have the camera glasses and the note said sometimes you need other gadgets. The note next to the minefield was from Volkov and it said that if any idiots somehow managed to survive stepping into the minefield, he would make sure they didn't survive it for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Point is, Scruffy's hopefully gonna do an intel roundup for stuff like that. :colbert:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Well, I don't think that encryption is a basic substitution cipher, forwards or backwards, which means it's out of my league. Does anyone with proper codebreaking ability want to take a crack at it? (The only code intel I remember seeing is the second one, "pmlxp vn lfg gsv ylc ofpv")

I suppose it could be a Vigenere cipher using HARM as the key maybe? Not sure what else they'd use as the key, and it's traditionally quite tricky to decode something without its key.

...Dammit, now I'm actually putting in some effort. I just checked, and it can't be a straightforward Vigenere cipher using HARM because every fourth letter would be plaintext (with 'a' as its key) and that seems to generate gibberish.

Seriously, anyone who's good with codes would be much appreciated right now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, I'm terrible at everything, but it doesn't appear to be a Caesar Cipher.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Could it be that the different encoded messages need to be put together to form a coherent whole?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I can tell you it's an easily decrypted cipher, and it's not complicated :v:

I looked stuff up between recordings.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think you just didn't get close enough with the body removal powder. Best to get right over the body and dump the powder as close as possible.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

WFGuy posted:

Seriously, anyone who's good with codes would be much appreciated right now.

It was pointed out earlier in the thread :v:, the encrypted stuff is just an Atbash cipher; you just reverse the alphabet so A becomes Z and B becomes Y then so forth down the line. "pmlxp vn lfg gsv ylc ofpv" becomes "knock em out the box Luke"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Darker Porpoise posted:

It was pointed out earlier in the thread :v:, the encrypted stuff is just an Atbash cipher; you just reverse the alphabet so A becomes Z and B becomes Y then so forth down the line. "pmlxp vn lfg gsv ylc ofpv" becomes "knock em out the box Luke"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493ljyoox6o

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

The cipher used is actually the same one as in the last mission that had one, see my previous post in this thread to figure out what kind of cipher it is and then it's easy enough to find a decoder.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Welp, I'm a dummy. Thanks to you and Smart Car for pointing that out. (If anyone else missed the first Atbash code, it was in Rendezvous in Hamburg, Scene 2. "kzfo rh wvzw")

I will now have the Star Wars Gangsta Rap in my head for a few days again.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
At last, the face of the man himself is revealed.

A Man Of Influence
Scene 3/Polsy

If you're curious about how it goes if you decide to not cut the Baron any slack on your questioning, try A Man Of Wealth, No Taste.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 23, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That bit about pandas is probably going to haunt me for the rest of my life. Bristol equals pandas, no escaping that association.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 23, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This guy is amazing.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
That Butler is as wonderful as I remember.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
After having no dialogue choices for so long, they throw a dozen at you and they actually matter a bit. I'm not sure if I should be pleased by their return, or a bit upset at the pacing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It seems fairly unlikely that he is the mastermind behind H.A.R.M., unless it's all part of a grand scheme to allow them free access to every country to capture animals so he can brutally slaughter them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

It seems fairly unlikely that he is the mastermind behind H.A.R.M., unless it's all part of a grand scheme to allow them free access to every country to capture animals so he can brutally slaughter them.
I think we'll get Cate's psych profile on the guy in the next video.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

anilEhilated posted:

That bit about pandas is probably going to haunt me for the rest of my life. Bristol equals pandas, no escaping that association.

I was living in Bristol when I first played this game. As it happens, at the time we did get a lot of people too dumb for Oxbridge but too refined for a common university, so there were quite a few events management companies, "management training" groups, etc catering to the cash-rich-but-competence-poor crowd.

It didn't require much suspension of disbelief to imagine him waddling through Clifton with an elephant gun and a full complement of native bearers.

EDIT: Hey dscruffy, if you're going to replay the level to check out the ammo box, then also try jumping on the empty flat cars as the train goes past and letting it carry you outside the level. There's an entertaining little sight-gag and it doesn't kill you. There's a different one if you try it a second time, too!

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 23, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's the most hilarious image of native bearers I've ever heard of.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Years ago, lost to time, there used to be a Flash animation show on the web called "The God and Devil Show," about the two of them as talk-show hosts. In one, they go to some sort of Heston-owned shooting gallery and God is trying to shoot fish in a barrel, literally. He's got a couple of pistols and is cross-eyeing the fish and missing his shots. "This isn't as easy as people say it is!" Meanwhile, the Devil expertly shoots her fish with an assault rifle.

I get the feeling Baron Dumas is not so different.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The sad thing is that butler gets very little screen time. :(

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Considering the Baron's wide...breadth of experience, an expedition to the front lawn might be quite the arduous trek. They really laid it on thick with the incompetency, didn't they? It's a marvel that his company survives under his supervision at all.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blastinus posted:

Considering the Baron's wide...breadth of experience, an expedition to the front lawn might be quite the arduous trek. They really laid it on thick with the incompetency, didn't they? It's a marvel that his company survives under his supervision at all.

He said it didn't. He has money but lets someone else make all the decisions. I think he's a puppet leader.

...no relation to the actual puppet leader of HARM we've already seen.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Speedball posted:

He said it didn't. He has money but lets someone else make all the decisions. I think he's a puppet leader.

You know, this would be the perfect game where "The Butler did it!" would be the perfect capstone to the whole thing. I mean, the Baron didn't name who was running the company in his stead, right?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

You know, this would be the perfect game where "The Butler did it!" would be the perfect capstone to the whole thing. I mean, the Baron didn't name who was running the company in his stead, right?
Remember this post. It's a very interesting idea. Nothing says spy fiction like a twist behind a twist, right?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And since it's the 60s you can also do the twist while it happens.

Speedball posted:

I suspect the HARM puppet is be able to outsmart him.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 24, 2015

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
What kind of crazy person would dare brave the lasers and poison gas to get into Dumas' safe? A former cat burglar turned spy trying to prove herself in a man's world? Please.

I recall the upcoming level pretty fondly, even though it took me a couple of tries to get through it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Funny enough for the Baron, an elephant was actually killed with a .22 rifle by Peter Hathaway Capstick. He was working in Kenya for the government, culling herds and killing rampaging elephants. He did it on a bet, as he knew one specific spot (behind the foreleg where friction rubs the hide thinner) where an artery was just under the hide.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's Christmas and I've got obligations today. So! Please have a T-T-T-TRIPLE UPDATE. Nevermind that two of the videos are pretty short.

Further Investigation Required
Scene 1/Polsy

Safecracker
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Safecracker 2 is like the worst and stupidest mission in the game. It makes absolutely no sense at all. I mean, the impression from the briefings is that you're supposed to try and go undetected, and yet there's a freaking boss fight in the middle. With no dialogue acknowledging it before or after. You're just dropped right in, and afterwards no one acknowledges that it happens. Why, why would Inge be hanging out randomly on a building under construction in the loving middle of the night. After this gun battle with lots of H.A.R.M. agents, you're right back to stealth and NO ALARMS OR YOU FAIL. Still on the building under construction. Godawful.

It's so utterly bizarre that my take on that is that during development, it turned out that they wrote the whole game and then accidentally realized that they completely forgot about Inge after The Dive, then they hurriedly added in this ridiculous level to write her out. She's never mentioned again.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 25, 2015

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Or they had something more complicated in mind, but had to cut it unexpectedly and went with Safecracker 2 as a way to use the logic they'd coded. It is a pretty cool setpiece.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Valkyrie connection isn't all that out there, she's related to Wagner and her club was called the Einsame Valkyrie. Plus guess what's the music blasting at you in the bossfight.
Besides, a lot of the mythology is shared - Odin and Wotan, that kind of stuff. Definitely close enough for some godawful operas.

I never really minded this level; by now you can now that unless explicitly told, all breaking stealth does is making the game more difficult. Plus the actual safe bit is utterly awesome.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I remember the Inge Wagner boss fight. Pain in the butt to get through and completely broke the mood of the level. Not only that, it was the first time I had to look at an online guide for how to beat a boss. There is nothing that tells you the trick of turning on the radio and then the electricity. It would have been so much better if the elevator had stopped suddenly and you would have been met with the following scene:

[2 HARM Guards are pointing their guns at Cate, who immediately raises her hands]

HARM Guard #1: Ah ha, I thought someone was sneaking around using that supposedly powered-down lift!

HARM Guard #2: Wait, Bob, don't shoot her!

Bob: Why not, Dick?

Dick: She could be exactly what we need. Listen, lady, you're an intruder, right? You don't want anyone to know you were here?

Cate: Let's say I don't. Go on.

Dick: There's this horrible woman, Inge Wagner. The organization we work for makes us listen to her god-awful singing all the time. Bob and I are really sick of it.

Bob: Yeah, and the worst part is, she uses this construction site to practice for her motivational concerts. Dick and I got to listen to her wailing while we stand guard. There are some other guys here who actually like her singing- weirdos- but we don't!

Dick: We're really sick of it! We can't take it anymore!

Cate: So...

Dick: So we want her to have an 'accident' tonight, if you know what I mean. This construction site is dangerous, fatal accidents happen all the time. There's no surveillance cameras on this floor, Inge claims they interfere with her vibe or something. The only electronics she allows are the lights and the battery-powered radio for her background music. With no cameras, an accident is pretty easy to arrange.

Bob: I was able to spill a barrel of water around her radio earlier today and place a loose cable in the water- to shock her, you know? But some of her fans saw me do that and they're being very attentive now. I had to cut the power to the cable and promise to clean things up after she's done practicing. We want Inge dead, but we don't want to get caught, you dig?

Cate: Why don't you just shoot her and them, then cover things up?

Dick: We thought about that, but HARM makes us account for every bullet we fire! No way we could hide using so many!

Bob: It also doesn't help that Inge practices in full costume as a Wagnerian Valkyrie! Bullets of all types bounce right off her! Our pal Jim tried shooting her last week and you don't want to know what happened to him!

Dick: So, look, we'll make you a deal. You take out Inge using our setup. Drop her fans too, we can hide the bodies no trouble. People quit groups like ours all the time, nobody will care if they disappear. You do this, we'll cover up that you were here and let you go on to wherever you were headed.

Cate: Really?

Bob: Yeah, it'll be worth it to get rid of that woman! [shudders] Just don't ask us for backup- like Dick said, we wouldn't be able to account for our bullets. You'll have to kill her and her fans all by yourself.

Dick: So, we got a deal?

Cate: I suppose.

[Inge starts singing nearby]

Bob: drat! She's started! Ok, lady, here goes. You shoot her fans and stay away from her. When you get the chance, turn her radio off to lure her into turning it back on, she won't fight without her music. When she goes to turn it on again, hit that switch there and shock her with our rigged cable. Dick and I will hide here ready to clean things up when you're done!

Dick: Sorry we can't pull the switch for you. If we're seen, our goose is cooked!

Cate: And if the first shock isn't enough to kill her?

[Bob and Dick look at each other]

Bob: Um, just keep turning off the radio. She has to have her music, and she'll keep turning it back on no matter the danger!

Dick: Good luck, Miss, and thanks!

[Cate grimaces and goes to handle the boss fight. The level then proceeds as normal.]

That would have tied things together nicely. Bob and Dick could have even been recurring characters in later levels who would have helped fill in plot holes and aid Cate with nasty situations like this now and again.

Even without them, it's still a fantastic game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe the traitor tipped Inge off and that's why she's there. It's the best I can think of. :shrug:

Oh yeah, and in real life crossbows are not silent. They are quieter than guns yes but they are quite noticeable.

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 25, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Am I the only one thinking that the codebreaker schematics on the wall in Santa's Workshop is just their concept art pasted on the wall?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Welp, bye Inge. You were kind of a throw-away joke.

Speaking of throw-away jokes, more of the Elite Guard sitting around being bored. Not all of the running gags in this game have worthwhile payoffs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

Speaking of throw-away jokes, more of the Elite Guard sitting around being bored. Not all of the running gags in this game have worthwhile payoffs.
Sadly. I think this one is more than made up for with the payoff of the drunken guy.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I wonder why she is named Inge instead of Inga. Inge is a man's name after all, at least in Scandinavia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Inge is a female name in Swedish.

• Locked thread