Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Super rude not to tip when you work there unless she had reason

totally normal to eat there (lord knows I closed out the bar often enough when I was mid-shift)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, at least in my area shift drinks aren't uncommon--current place is a limit of one drink from a set list, free, and my previous place was one of any drink at half off and a second at full price before you weren't permitted any more. Shift drinks are especially important if you have a large variety of signature cocktails; you can't really expect your servers to be able to sell drinks unique to your bar effectively if they only get to drink them on their own time and at full price.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Eating there is fine (and not tipping is lovely). If you have a cocktail menu, you should be doing daily tastings of cocktails with all servers to get them on board with upselling, they shouldn't have to pay for that at all (and same for places with extensive beer and wine lists). Letting staff sit at the bar and have a drink or two can quickly lead to massive shrinkage, not to mention the risk that management won't be paying attention and the bartender will pour them doubles, neglect to charge them, or just simply overserve them. There are too many things that can go wrong - and what works in one place may not necessarily be the best policy everywhere (fine dining vs. neighborhood pub), it's still risky to let your staff drink where they work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Shrinkage is my favorite euphemism for "you dirty laborers are loving thieves."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

It's really easy to cheat on your taxes without a POS, however it's also really easy for employees to steal food and booze and not charge friends for meals.

Skwirl posted:

Shrinkage is my favorite euphemism for "you dirty laborers are loving thieves."

Which is something you acknowledged just a few pages back.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm doing fast food again someone kill me.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Disgusting

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Silver Nitrate posted:

Tell A Man and His Dog hey for us

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Silver Nitrate posted:

Actually I can't really judge you here.

I ate the horrible China place down the strip mall tonight. Always a horrible idea. It's just loaded with MSG.

I spent my Saturday night on a toilet.

:marc:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Actually I can't really judge you here.

I ate the horrible China place down the strip mall tonight. Always a horrible idea. It's just loaded with MSG.

I spent my Saturday night on a toilet.

:marc:

You are in Florida right?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
North Carolina my friend.

Lol. What does Florida have to do with it?

Probably horrible people. :cheeky:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

North Carolina my friend.

Lol. What does Florida have to do with it?

Probably horrible people. :cheeky:

Nope. I decided to not dog you after I drunkenly tried to be super mean one day. I thought it was Florida because east coast I guess. Next time Im out there hunting with my uncle Ill stop by and ruin what you thought I was even more. Also, you seem chill enough to grab a beer with homie.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Had a lady the other night with a "severe msg allergy" and wanted to know what foods we had that contained any msg... then she ordered the mushroom pasta

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So last night was the busiest night since mothers day. 540 on the books, we probably did 700+. lots of dead time in that though cause it was a lot of big parties so there were 20min-hour periods where we were waiting for something to turn.

And then I got to tear apart my station because like 5 months ago they tore out the wall to fix a leaky pipe. They're just now putting it back (and only cause we caught a huge loving rat last week.)

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secret Spoon posted:

Nope. I decided to not dog you after I drunkenly tried to be super mean one day. I thought it was Florida because east coast I guess. Next time Im out there hunting with my uncle Ill stop by and ruin what you thought I was even more. Also, you seem chill enough to grab a beer with homie.

Sounds good man.

:respek:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Looking back over the sales since my last shift and (lmao?) Star Wars definitely had an impact on Thursday night. I was expecting a dent but wow, like half our usual traffic.

Thanks, J.J. Abrams. Thabrams.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

pile of brown posted:

Had a lady the other night with a "severe msg allergy" and wanted to know what foods we had that contained any msg... then she ordered the mushroom pasta

offer her a salted tomato slice for amuse bouche while you make the MSG free mushroom pasta

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

bongwizzard posted:

Chiming in again to say that anyone who can deal with working in a kitchen should look into doing production/stagehand work. Its the same poo poo hours, work environment, and coworkers, but more money. This being an election year means that, depending on what state you are in, there will be a huge surge of work. Google around for local production companies, if your city has an IATSE local, call them and see if they have a referral list system. Be honest about your skill level but I would hire a random cook who isn't afraid to work over some douchbag with a lighting degree any day. Alot of the work you can pick up on the job and there is enough carrying/lifting work that a lot of places will hire unskilled people.

Or do booth. http://www.latitude45catering.com/ and http://www.degaville.com/ are two of the top companies in rock and roll tour catering. In my experience caterers work some of the longest days on the tour. They also party the hardest, I guess when you take cooks out of the kitchen and put them on a tour bus with free booze poo poo can get out of hand. No idea what that line of work pays but I eat meals made by them, or companies like them over 200 days a year so I could answer some questions about the lifestyle.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Re MSG talk, I saw a Yelp review complaining about a lack of MSG-free items on the menu.

At a P.F. Chang's.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I enjoy the statistics and the paid vacation. The smell that sticks to me even after I take a shower, not so much.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

What the gently caress? There are a couple problems with this:

Did she at least go home and change between her shift and drinking/eating there? If someone wants to come in on their day off, that's one thing, staying after you close out to have a bite is fine, but drinking at your place of employment? Huge red flag, way too easy for drinks to not get rung up. Even moreso if she's bringing friends with her and nobody is tipping.

I would probably say something, but really this is something that a manager needs to address and probably establish policy and inform everyone on staff.

This is dumb. Pretty much everybody who works at my place will get off shift and have a drink and/or a meal at the bar. Of course You take off your apron, and put on a sweater and/or put on a different shirt, and try not to talk solely about work to the bartender.

It's too easy for drinks to not get rung up? What the poo poo are you talking about? If that's the case why not ban all friends and family members of employees as well?

My employer incentivizes us to enjoy a beverage whenever we are off the clock by offering us a sizeable discount on beverages and our shrinkage is absolutely tiny compared to several other local dining establishment. I mean you can't drink while on shift, and there's hardly any spillage because we have. O draugh and no highballs (yeah it's weird)

Also I don't see a difference between her coming in on her day off and not tipping, and sitting down after her shift and not tipping.

What kind of lovely chain restaurants are you managing where staff are not allowed to be customers?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Country clubs are different beasts here too. We're not allowed to ever drink or dine off the clock since we're not members. But we get a 40 hour week, paid overtime, 401k, full health/dental so you've got to get that somewhere. And our staff meal (usually) doesn't blow.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
The company that I used to work for had a strict policy that staff was not to drink at the bar in uniform—definitely not the kitchen staff, especially. If we came in on our time off, we were limited to two drinks or a bottle or two depending on the size of the party. We were discouraged from sitting at the bar when we came in, as well. We weren't allowed a shift drink ever, though I occasionally sat with my chefs at the last restaurant in the group I worked in, where there was a draft beer system and thus less concerns about missing inventory—but that happened after close when the dining room was empty, and it was just managers, chefs, and senior cook.

We made our servers eat their food out of sight of guests, though managers got to eat at a table. Usually they ordered at half-price (comped for managers) but on occasion someone made family meal. Chefs in each restaurant varied on that habit, and sometimes even night-by-night there would or wouldn't be food, depending on what was in the kitchen for use and who had free time or could make something during service because they were talented (or because it was so dreadfully slow, like my consecutive coney nights.)

It really comes down to the culture of the company. There's places that try to enforce the customer-staff relationship as a strict line, and others that allow it to blur more. Casual places, bars and family restaurants, there's less concern about seeing your server from last night sitting at the bar tonight getting drunk with her friends, or about seeing the guy who just cooked your meal sitting at the bar looking like a mess because he's just done a lunch rush. In a company that tries to be more upscale, there's a concern about the guests seeing their Favorite Server as anything other than a Paragon of Foodservice, you know? The kind of place where everything has to be on a tray to go into the dining room...

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Trebuchet King posted:

Looking back over the sales since my last shift and (lmao?) Star Wars definitely had an impact on Thursday night. I was expecting a dent but wow, like half our usual traffic.

Thanks, J.J. Abrams. Thabrams.

Really? We had a busy as gently caress Thursday/Friday and got killed Saturday morning too. Sat night and Sunday were slow though.

I used to tip a dollar a drink because I know how much more bar/backs make hourly compared to servers, but changed my mind when I realized it's still not a living wage. I don't tip on my shifty but I tend to order a second drink and tip on that. Whole bar is casual dress and more often than not people hang out after their shifts. It's very chill. Now if they could just figure out weekend staffing for BOH...

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Well, we don't have any theatres in our neighborhood, and Thursday night is our live bluegrass night, whose crowd definitely overlaps demographically with the opening night Star Wars crowd, I think. If it had been a jazz night, which usually skews older, I don't think we'd have felt much of a pinch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

On Saturday night I had a table with an older couple that chilled over a bottle of wine for an hour before they even ordered. Sure, I would've preferred to be able to flip my tables faster but they looked like they were really enjoying themselves and having a nice conversation. When they finally did order, the woman (whose speech pattern made me think she's on pills or something) said "I want the filet, but I can't do sodium. Pepper is fine, but no salt on the filet please. Also can I get your mixed greens salad instead of the pommes frites? Dressing on the side. Also, since I can't do sodium, instead of the feta, can you give me goat cheese instead?"

I didn't really know what to say since goat cheese has probably just as much salt as feta, and the dressing contains salt too, but she chowed down all the food in front of her and really enjoyed it. I just don't get people who have fake sodium sensitivities.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I really hope it was fake and not a legit heart condition. Did you seriously not tell her those things? because loving hell.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Seriously, how do you keep yourself from going "but there is also a shitload of sodium in everything you just subbed" in that situation?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
There's a guy who comes into the Panera I work at who claims to be allergic to onions, and orders a plain Tuna sandwich.

Our tuna has bits of green onion in it & onion powder.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
fwiw I'm pretty sure Feta does in fact have way more salt than the average goat cheese. A lot of Fetas are stored in briny water, even. As far as I know goat cheese is considered a low sodium cheese.

And presumably she ordered the dressing on the side as she knows it has sodium in it but she can eat just a little? Dressing usually doesn't have a ton of salt in it anyway.

Idk I agree fake allergy people are annoying (had a 4 top sit down and say they were all allergic to gluten and halfway through cooking their food special I noticed they had bread brought to the table and were happily eating it - my restaurant didn't have gluten free bread either), but at the same time it seems like she knew what she was doing?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 22, 2015

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
The latest fake allergy trend at my place has been pickles. Holy poo poo you're allowed to not like something! Grown-ups do it all the time! Don't make up some bullshit just to keep them off your plate and don't make your server add more red text jazz to the ticket. loving pickle allergy my rear end.

Mico posted:

There's a guy who comes into the Panera I work at who claims to be allergic to onions, and orders a plain Tuna sandwich.

Our tuna has bits of green onion in it & onion powder.

Have you told them? Just because they don't make the connection between the delicious sandwich they ate and the hour they spent on the toilet that night doesn't mean they shouldn't be reasonably informed. Y'know, not that garlic/onion allergies aren't just people for the most part not liking them. Just sayin'

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Illinois Smith posted:

Seriously, how do you keep yourself from going "but there is also a shitload of sodium in everything you just subbed" in that situation?

Because it's not my problem? If someone has a serious issue with sodium, they should 1) know that regardless of the type, cheese is going to have salt in it, and 2) be vigilant about asking what does or does not have salt in it, which at a restaurant is going to be pretty much everything. In my experience, most food allergies or sensitivities are made up or psychosomatic bullshit anyway, so I'm not going to waste my breath for this special snowflake. See WroughtIrony's famous tale about this.

Anyway, she enjoyed the food, had a lovely time, and didn't keel over so all was well in the end. They even tipped well.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Worst restaurant allergy encountered: Garlic.I need to know if any of you have encountered similar.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That is so incredibly lovely and if I heard one of the staff of 150+ people I oversee say that, I would fire them in an instant with no hesitation.

It IS your problem and the very basic function of your job? You have no way of knowing whether it's legit or not, that's why it's your job to explain the loving menu and point out that other things may also have more sodium than the guest is expecting? Food allergies and sensitivities due to medical conditions have to be taken 100% seriously by staff. You must do your due diligence whether what the guest communicates to you is a legit condition or not.

I'm pretty loving incredulous and angry that a server would have that attitude and be so blase about what can literally kill a guest.

Jesus loving Christ.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That is so incredibly lovely and if I heard one of the staff of 150+ people I oversee say that, I would fire them in an instant with no hesitation.

It IS your problem and the very basic function of your job? You have no way of knowing whether it's legit or not, that's why it's your job to explain the loving menu and point out that other things may also have more sodium than the guest is expecting? Food allergies and sensitivities due to medical conditions have to be taken 100% seriously by staff. You must do your due diligence whether what the guest communicates to you is a legit condition or not.

I'm pretty loving incredulous and angry that a server would have that attitude and be so blase about what can literally kill a guest.

Jesus loving Christ.

If the lady has such a blood pressure issue that a small amount of salt in some salad dressing is going to kill her, then she's not going to be having a couple of glasses of wine before supper. She probably is just sensitive to it and so tries to control it somewhat by saying things like "no salt on my steak and no french fries please." Neither she nor the midnighter were unreasonable here.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If someone tells you "I can't have salt" or anything for that matter, and then order an item that they think doesn't have X but in your restaurant does, it's your job to loving tell them so they can assess and make their own decision, you can work out a mod with the kitchen, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

pile of brown posted:

I've had people argue with me that MSG that occurs in stuff like mushrooms and tomatoes is not bad for you unlike the stuff that comes in a powder but which is just extracted from sources like that because

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I've had people argue with me that MSG that occurs in stuff like mushrooms and tomatoes is not bad for you unlike the stuff that comes in a powder but which is just extracted from sources like that because

That would be because MSG being bad for you is a myth.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Secret Spoon posted:

That would be because MSG being bad for you is a myth.

Nonono you see it's just the factory made stuff which is in a powder and made unnaturally which is bad for you. If it occurrs naturally in a tomato it's ok, but if a factory takes it out of the tomato and puts it into a powder and then adds it to the food it's then poison because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

(just to clarify so that we don't get into a retarded argument and then have people accuse me of :smug: puppetmastering, I'm ventriloquizing these stupid hippies who rapidly move the goal posts in defending their entrenched belief that MSG is poison even though it is not.)

• Locked thread