Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Episode 3 tonight. I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The portrayal of Avasarala in the audiobook for Caliban's War is pretty much worth the price alone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

The portrayal of Avasarala in the audiobook for Caliban's War is pretty much worth the price alone.

foul mouthed grandma that owns

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Space Mormon Comedy Club

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

theblackw0lf posted:

One of my favorite characters in any book ever. Well maybe not ever but still.

Also please keep SyFy away from Alistair Reynolds works.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

One of my favorite characters in any book ever. Well maybe not ever but still.

Also please keep SyFy away from Alistair Reynolds works.

Not that you're a fan, or anything.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

The whole story about her changing the rules to the game and also how she dumped the martian ambassador despite their lifelong friendship pretty much shows she's a stone cold killer.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I really like the scene where she (minor spoiler) is lying on her roof worrying about people throwing rocks because if I were a high-ranking government official in her position, that's what I'd worry about.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

etalian posted:

He looked pretty hosed up, I think he knew he was going to croak which is why he gave access to Holden and company.

I thought the "I would have liked to see an ocean on Mars" comment indicated he dead, but the camera panned back to him afterwards giving the impression that he's just hosed up and under the stress of acceleration

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I really like the scene where she (minor spoiler) is lying on her roof worrying about people throwing rocks because if I were a high-ranking government official in her position, that's what I'd worry about.

bigger spoiler "minor spoiler" sure :)

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Oh he's dead. gently caress, I love it when a show leaks a few episodes, until I've watched them and I have to wait another 2 weeks to watch a new episode.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Gonz posted:

Space Mormon Comedy Club

Is one of the authors Mormon? The Mormons jokes
seem self deprecative.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dunno, in the books they don't play a massive role, and don't seem portrayed in a way that's either flattering or unflattering...

The plot doesn't go 'author's chosen people/cult conquers space and is better than everyone' like most terrible right wing SF so no worries on that front.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gohmak posted:

Is one of the authors Mormon? The Mormons jokes
seem self deprecative.

I hope a future episode actually shows the Mormon comedy club.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Anybody catch what the injured enemy in the blue helmet was saying when the main character tried to speak to him? (tv show episode 3 and 4 spoiler)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

etalian posted:

He looked pretty hosed up, I think he knew he was going to croak which is why he gave access to Holden and company.

In the book, he gets smooshed up against a wall when the spaceship exits ecause he can't get into an acceleration couch (and yes, he knew that's what would happen). He dead. :ghost:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Strategic Tea posted:

Dunno, in the books they don't play a massive role, and don't seem portrayed in a way that's either flattering or unflattering...

The plot doesn't go 'author's chosen people/cult conquers space and is better than everyone' like most terrible right wing SF so no worries on that front.

Its like the most realistic approach to Mormons in the future I've ever seen. They keep trying to convert people, still wearing a white shirt and tie, and have enough money to (ep4 spoiler) build a big rear end space ship send their people on 100 year mission to colonize a planet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At least throw in space mormon comedy club as a extra

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Daktari posted:

bigger spoiler "minor spoiler" sure :)

It seems like they're setting all that up way early... Avasarala said that Belter she had in the tank was caught with stealth materials, right?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

GigaPeon posted:

It seems like they're setting all that up way early... Avasarala said that Belter she had in the tank was caught with stealth materials, right?

The more they'll fast forward over book 3 and 4, the better

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Episode 3 aired last night, right? So we can do away with spoiler tags for that one? This early release thing is really doing my head in.

I love that they didn't bother changing Holden's family situation, or brushed it under the rug, but at the same time didn't use it as like a shocking thing. I don't know why I was concerned about that, but I was.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

etalian posted:

His line that was basically "Would have been nice to see those lakes" seemed to be an obvious 'he ain't making it' clue to me.

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015
Theresa Yaoi is totally and utterly incompetent as a Martian Captain. She needs Frank Chalmbers to yell at her.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Book 2 and 3: I miss Brienne of Tarth Mars more than I thought I would, but Bull is pretty awesome so far. The new Mao family villain is annoying, as is the religious woman. I don't care about stupid revenge missions or cocktail parties, I want Space Wars

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Book 2 and 3: I miss Brienne of Tarth Mars more than I thought I would, but Bull is pretty awesome so far. The new Mao family villain is annoying, as is the religious woman. I don't care about stupid revenge missions or cocktail parties, I want Space Wars

Book 3: I didn't like priest lady either at first but by the end she grew on me.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Take that book chat to the proper thread please.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3149277&pagenumber=86#lastpost

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Finally caught up on the show and thread. Given that I've only read Book 1, and apparently 3/4 aren't good... Should I even read the rest or just let the slow TV drip filter it down for me? Granted, that will take years...

Gonz posted:

Space Mormon Comedy Club

Perfect thread subtitle.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Trabant posted:

Finally caught up on the show and thread. Given that I've only read Book 1, and apparently 3/4 aren't good... Should I even read the rest or just let the slow TV drip filter it down for me? Granted, that will take years...

Perfect thread subtitle.

Do both, because YMMV. I like all the books enough to actively enjoy them, could be you do too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Book 3 and 4 are fine. I started with Book 3 and fell in love with the series. When people say they're bad, they're just not as all-round excellent as books one and two. Three suffers from going from the final book in the series to three of six and four felt like an experiment that didn't quite achieve what they wanted - but it's still good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I mean poo poo read them and make up your own mind as to their quality instead of letting hyperbolic internet nerds dictate what you should like

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I mean poo poo read them and make up your own mind as to their quality instead of letting hyperbolic internet nerds dictate what you should like

Yeah this.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's fair. I was thinking it might be more of a Bourne situation: the movies are far, far better than the books.

Then again, Bourne movies share only a bit more other than the character's name with the books, and that's clearly not the case here.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm not super sold on the show yet. It has cool stuff in it but I dunno... It's just not gripping me. Still gonna keep watching a bit

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I'm not super sold on the show yet. It has cool stuff in it but I dunno... It's just not gripping me. Still gonna keep watching a bit

I think they missed a trick in not making the Scopuli engine room as horrific as I remember it being in the books. Without it the show doesn't have the same feeling that something supremely hosed up is happening behind the scenes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

I think they missed a trick in not making the Scopuli engine room as horrific as I remember it being in the books. Without it the show doesn't have the same feeling that something supremely hosed up is happening behind the scenes.
We only had a 3 second shot in the pilot. I'd give them more slack.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah I think they pulled some punches on the reactor scene. it should have looked like (book 1 prologue details. Not really a spoiler) the bodies where caked to the reactor core in a blob of disfigured, intermangled, throbbing mass of bones and flesh. Then something resembling a wiggling big toe attached to the mass is revealed to be a living head.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 24, 2015

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, the difference is that in a book, you get a lot more written descriptions to go back over and make sure you read that right. I actually prefer what they did here, mostly because I wonder how many people have just plum forgot that that even happened? Makes things more fun later :getin:

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 24, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, not complaining about the shot itself exactly... It's more that because they only did a short 'whaa?' shot that the show doesn't sell from scene 1 that something really horrible is going on, and I think that might be why not everyone is feeling the hook.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess the big test will be how they're going to visualize Julie Mao in the bathtub on Eros. --edit: (Book/Season 1 spoiler.)

--edit2: Then again, speculation on a spoiler kind of implies that.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Put a book spoiler on that

• Locked thread