Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

She's right. CIG is unique because of the phenomena associated with it. I certainly haven't paid as much attention about Elite or Moon Intern or any of the other projects I've backed. I'm not sure how convinced I am that all of it is Sandi's machinations, but there's clearly a level of interest and engagement that's different from most programs. I think it's the ships, and how CIG pushed them as dreams and not just assets. You weren't buying a Cutlass, you were buying a ship you could use to be a pirate. You weren't buying a Hornet, you were buying an elite space superiority fighter that would let you rule the skies. Combined with the absolutely perfect commercials (especially the Aurora one) it gave you a taste of the dream and made you want more.

What I don't think anyone at CIG realizes is that there is a severe consequence to that level of engagement. This is not a normal community. These are not normal, well-adjusted fans with a lot of disposable income. These are fanatics, true believers, people willing to make sacrifices to prove their allegiance in a system where fidelity is financial. Whatever the hell Star Citizen is, it can't possibly meet their expectations. Look at every single release and how it's been received by the community. A wave of initial praise followed by lengthy commentary and criticisms that quickly devolve into camps about various issues. The more this game is developed and solidified the less wishful thinking people will be able to deceive themselves with.
Huh, I never really thought of the ships in that way. Maybe it's because I've played enough video games to know that when developers say that X is good for doing Y, they could be completely wrong. There's no way to know until X is in the game. The commercials were just fluff; actual games are never like that. I got a 300i because...that's what came with the $65 package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

That's bugsmashers episode 1. So no. Always yellow.

Lol as crazy as they are, sometimes I check this thread and see posts like these and wonder if we're the crazy ones.

Searching through video archives to see how yellow a person's teeth have become is a little strange.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SerCypher posted:

Lol as crazy as they are, sometimes I check this thread and see posts like these and wonder if we're the crazy ones.

Searching through video archives to see how yellow a person's teeth have become is a little strange.
:agreed:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm honestly shocked that someone hasn't posted a picture of the Roberts Estate yet.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

That does sound cool, not going to happen though, but an idea like this is better than "uugh running is unrealistic everyone should walk."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The scary part about this is that, when dealing with a normal game and fan base it's just a fun thought... but with Star Citizens it's literally something they are forcing into how they think the game will actually operate. They truly believe that everything they imagine is going into the game and it's going to be almost heart breaking when they begin to commit Sudoku in the of Christ Roberts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
We need a colour chart to compare the shades of CIGs staffs hair, teeth and sphincters

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is like what goons go through when a girl is being nice and says hi to them and they somehow delude themselves into thinking that means the girl is in love with them and their brains proceed to invent an entire fantasy world where they imagine all the things they would do with their new waifu. Except in this case the girl is a con artist and actively wants them to think that. So they send her more money.

grimcreaper posted:

it's going to be almost heart breaking when they begin to commit Sudoku in the of Christ Roberts.

Sudoku has destroyed many more nerd lives than CR could ever hope to. :v:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

The scary part about this is that, when dealing with a normal game and fan base it's just a fun thought... but with Star Citizens it's literally something they are forcing into how they think the game will actually operate. They truly believe that everything they imagine is going into the game and it's going to be almost heart breaking when they begin to commit Sudoku in the of Christ Roberts.

Well didn't you hear? CIG got over a million dollars so that means they have no choice but to make the most special snowflake game ever all for me and my special delicate snowflake imagination, that's just science man.
But yeah I totally know what you mean, it's cool to imagine what your own perfect game could be, but we know things don't work like that....ever......

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The one thing the Citizens want to eliminate is gameplay, it's amazing

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

But yeah I totally know what you mean, it's cool to imagine what your own perfect game could be, but we know things don't work like that....ever......

R Type

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

And yeah it is weird looking through footage just to slag some guys teeth off, seriously.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fuzzknot posted:

. . . Bwahahahaha. This is a Lesnick quote, yes?

More or less, yes :)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SerCypher posted:

Honestly, going to youtube and typing in "bug smashers episode one" to see if what you guys were talking about was true isn't really "searching through video archives".

Nah who am I kidding. This is me hacking the CIG database to find the secret data.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So a :rice: combo of Wipeout and [Generic Cabinet Racer]? I like it.

CrazyLoon posted:

By this point CIG moderator activity (and what it must feel like) is probably synonymous to this. Glory to Christ Roberts!

Nah. That's a game about getting away with subversive activity while only just following the technical rules. Hell, even the Arstotszkan government is more lenient than CIG seems to be, so following regulation would still not be an accurate representation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still catching up to the thread but

MeLKoR posted:

Beer, this guy is now stalking you around other unrelated subreddits? Not a cult. :mensch:

gryphon0468 are you loving serious lmao

notacult

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

spacetoaster posted:

Honestly, going to youtube and typing in "bug smashers episode one" to see if what you guys were talking about was true isn't really "searching through video archives".

Nah who am I kidding. This is me hacking the CIG database to find the secret data.

Hey babe you checking out my toenails again?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SerCypher posted:

So sorry I forgot to say hi earlier, Mark's SA account. You should really expand your posting. Here so long and not even a token probation. tsk tsk

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

So sorry I forgot to say hi earlier, Mark's SA account. You should really expand your posting. Here so long and not even a token probation. tsk tsk

YOU FOUND ME OUT.

I was a sleeper agent.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god I think that's literally his only post in r/fantasyfootball

he really was just trawling reddit for mentions of beer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Who is karl.

peter gabriel posted:

We need a colour chart to compare the shades of CIGs staffs hair, teeth and sphincters

Well we already know they keep detailed dossiers on every employee's pubes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I'll make the wiki

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Oh, I got the Animal Farm reference; I was terrified that Lesnick really did say something like that.

. . . He probably has, at some point. :(

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Christmas letter from the Chairman

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15138-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Too many :words: for me. Didn't read.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a support request through these days? Requested a refund ten days ago, and nothing more than the "it may take a while to get back to you" semi-automated response. I've written to them a second time, requesting an update, but no luck. How is it possible that customer support wait times are so long for a game that doesn't exist? Any keywords I should put in my support request to grab their attention?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Any keywords I should put in my support request to grab their attention?

"chargeback"

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Ahahahaha hooolllyyy poo poo:

quote:

With big numbers comes big attention. Some people look at the number and say “Why should they have all that money?” Well it’s because you want to build a big, bold game that doesn’t compromise! This is the secret. The additional money that comes in doesn’t go towards dividends for shareholders or making analysts happy with our profitability. It gets invested into making Star Citizen the best it can be. Hiring the best talent possible and allowing them to reach for the stars. Your contributions are going towards making the game better for you and all your friends. How could that possibly be a bad thing?

quote:

But Star Citizen isn’t really about the money, that’s just what’s allowing us to build a game of the ambition and fidelity that people thought wouldn’t be possible.

Yes it is cause you said it isn't dipshit.

This thing reads almost like an embedded confession.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 24, 2015

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like how it starts off with a picture of MushMouth "on the set" of SQ42

totally not a movie

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Piece from the Farticle :

A huge milestone towards achieving this goal was the release of Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 earlier this month, with the ability to play in a huge area (the biggest yet in gaming thanks to 64 bit floating point positional coordinates) and offering up all of these exciting options in that world: walking around a space station on foot or boarding a space ship by yourself or with friends… walk around that ship and/or have your friends man various stations while you are flying… fly thousands or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers, engage in ship to ship combat against AI or other players, exit your ship to EVA and explore space stations… engage in FPS combat (on foot or in EVA), rescue stranded players, perform various missions. All of this happens seamlessly without loading screens at a fidelity and scale that has not been seen before in any game.

Can someone confirm how much of this is true? And how much is carefully worded bs?

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 24, 2015

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol. Crobber tries to be like Braben (and fails)

quote:

Finally, I would like to add a sincere thanks and well wishes to the other development teams around the world that share in our passion for space sims. I often see arguments online about which game to play; Star Citizen or Elite, Elite or No Man’s Sky and so on. The truth is that there’s no right answer: the space gaming renaissance is nothing but good news for gamers everywhere. Just as Wing Commander and X-Wing improved one another through competition, so too has Star Citizen been improved by other space games in development. The fantastic teams behind Elite: Dangerous, No Man’s Sky, EVERSPACE, Infinity: Battlescape and others inspire us daily. I wish you and anyone else expanding the frontiers of space and PC gaming all the best for 2016 and beyond!

e: bolded the part where he mentions Elite twice in a row, but it isn't about Elite, or Braben's recent statement on SC or anything.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 24, 2015

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Can we get a count on how many times he blatantly attempts to refute Derek?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
So many of these catchphrases seem familiar.

quote:

• big publishers
  • PC wasn’t a viable platform
  • you proved them wrong
  • No corporate suits deciding what franchise to milk or license.
  • big, bold game that doesn’t compromise
  • build a game of the ambition and fidelity
  • All of this happens seamlessly without loading screens at a fidelity and scale that has not been seen before in any game.
  • fidelity that we are aiming for
  • 2.0 shows the naysayers it can be done!
  • feeling of immersion

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Piece from the Farticle :

A huge milestone towards achieving this goal was the release of Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 earlier this month, with the ability to play in a huge area (the biggest yet in gaming thanks to 64 bit floating point positional coordinates) and offering up all of these exciting options in that world: walking around a space station on foot or boarding a space ship by yourself or with friends… walk around that ship and/or have your friends man various stations while you are flying… fly thousands or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers, engage in ship to ship combat against AI or other players, exit your ship to EVA and explore space stations… engage in FPS combat (on foot or in EVA), rescue stranded players, perform various missions. All of this happens seamlessly without loading screens at a fidelity and scale that has not been seen before in any game.

Can someone confirm how much of this is true? And how much is carefully worded bs?

lol largest play area in gaming what a load of horse poo poo

lol at those "exciting" options too

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

1) Buy war bonds.
2) Chris Roberts isn't sure if Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen is a better game to play. Elite Dangerous has the advantage of being a functional video game and Star Citizen has the advantage of being better than Elite Dangerous in every possible way very soon. Also lots of other games that will be released soon that will be dominating the market and cementing consumer expectation. This is a good thing. It's great news. Its just great. Lots of other companies are making space games and releasing them before SC comes out. THIS IS GREAT. GREAT. GREAT. GREAT. FANTASTIC.
3) CIG will be putting almost all of their effort into releasing S42. It will be the best thing ever. It might even be good enough to bring in enough money to save Star Citizen! Chris wont know as he'll, ideally, be making movies or something and will have long since left.
4) Out of a million citizens 80,000 have logged in to see what 2.0 is about. This is something they're excited about.
5) They're shifting away from feature based releases. This will enable them to better focus on not working on Star Citizen to instead try against all hope to get S42 done before the bank kicks down the door.
6) Chris is so excited for the release of Star Marine that he couldn't even type the words. It may seem like it wasn't mentioned.
7) The 100 million dollar man apparently didn't get a Scythe or anything. Oh well.
8) Chris continues to say that no one considers the PC a viable platform for some inane reason that I guess makes sense when you're confused about video games in general and last picked one up when Super Mario World was really rocking the scene down at the local Toys R Us.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh did croberts finally get around to acknowledging that they hit 100 million? It was pretty telling to me when they passed that milestone and there was just radio silence from CIG. They knew it was coming for months, and prepared nothing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a support request through these days? Requested a refund ten days ago, and nothing more than the "it may take a while to get back to you" semi-automated response. I've written to them a second time, requesting an update, but no luck. How is it possible that customer support wait times are so long for a game that doesn't exist? Any keywords I should put in my support request to grab their attention?
Good luck.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ash1138 posted:

Huh, I never really thought of the ships in that way. Maybe it's because I've played enough video games to know that when developers say that X is good for doing Y, they could be completely wrong. There's no way to know until X is in the game. The commercials were just fluff; actual games are never like that. I got a 300i because...that's what came with the $65 package.

Just look at the package names; Scout, Bounty Hunter, Freelancer, Colonel, Pirate. With only a name and a picture CIG needed something else to sell. So they sold possibility and had you dreaming of what you would be doing before there even was a game. I am guilty of falling for it myself. I saw the Cutlass as the perfect Goonmobile. Fast, lots of guns, easily repaired, just fill the fucker with boarders and go play Grand Theft Starship. Hell it came with a tractor beam and boarding collar. It was my ship.

Then they hosed it all up.

It flew like poo poo. It was too fat. It wasn't a dogfighter. Then variants were basically different ways to outfit a van. The commercial did nothing to emphasize piracy and looked as lazy and rushed as the variants. Whatever the gently caress it was, it wasn't my ship. And in the aftermath of Cutlassgate and that massive thread Dusty ran all the other bullshit it became clear that reality was a joke. The Cutlass we have is not what they sold, and it's unlikely to ever be.

The best part is the aftermath
How did CIG ultimately respond to the complaints? By offering to sell a new ship.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's totally not p2w though.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

He's the little poo poo who cyberstalked Bootcha. I'll rip his teeth out through his throat if we ever meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It flew like poo poo. It was too fat. It wasn't a dogfighter. Then variants were basically different ways to outfit a van. The commercial did nothing to emphasize piracy and looked as lazy and rushed as the variants. Whatever the gently caress it was, it wasn't my ship. And in the aftermath of Cutlassgate and that massive thread Dusty ran all the other bullshit it became clear that reality was a joke. The Cutlass we have is not what they sold, and it's unlikely to ever be.

The best part is the aftermath
How did CIG ultimately respond to the complaints? By offering to sell a new ship.

Also by throwing Rob Irving under the bus for hyping the Cutlass and misrepresenting Ben's vision, according to Kraken. But I missed all of the drama once my refund was confirmed and I waded out of the brown sea.

The Cutlass is Star Citizen.

• Locked thread