Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

Does that include those really annoying carrot things?

Aye, you just eat your greens for dinner.

e: December 1941: Pearl Harbor is bombed. The United States declares war against Japan, and then Hitler declares war against the US. Less than four years later, the Allies win the war.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bet they do a followup article tomorrow entitled: "I'm a young white man and I've never had it so good!" Twice the clickbait for the same lame concept!

I've seen this recurring pattern where one journalist'll pen a provocative article like: "As a motorist, I wish all cyclists would be squashed by big cement trucks", bathe in the resulting Twitter storm, then pass the baton to a colleague who'll respond with a: "Why all drivers are maniacs who shouldn't be allowed to exceed 5mph in their stupid death-vehicles". Whatever keeps the page views rolling in!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Stormgale posted:

Just remember you don't have to kill anything and you are good to go.

Undertale is best done blind. Don't tell Pesmerga what to do or not to because that will ruin the experience later on.

What I'm trying to say is, play 'how you want to play' and not what people tell you what 'you should play like.'

Pesmerga posted:

Does that include those really annoying carrot things?

Kill them dude.

You need the EXP and Gold dude as the game will get harder later on.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Bet they do a followup article tomorrow entitled: "I'm a young white man and I've never had it so good!" Twice the clickbait for the same lame concept!

I've seen this recurring pattern where one journalist'll pen a provocative article like: "As a motorist, I wish all cyclists would be squashed by big cement trucks", bathe in the resulting Twitter storm, then pass the baton to a colleague who'll respond with a: "Why all drivers are maniacs who shouldn't be allowed to exceed 5mph in their stupid death-vehicles". Whatever keeps the page views rolling in!

The Telegraph also have an article up right now by James Delingpole titled "Why Fox Hunting is the Greatest Sport on this Green Earth". With these two and that Corbyn Cancels Christmas article, it seems that they've decided to give up any pretense of being a proper newspaper and are going down the Daily Mail route of posting incendiary bullshit in hopes that it'll get shared on the Internet by outraged lefties.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

big scary monsters posted:

Just took a look on my Facebook to see what the internet has been doing in my absence, and holy poo poo, Yorkshire is underwater. :stare:

Any N England goons here in the UKMT posting from subaqua strongholds? I saw a bit of water on the ground during my flight up to Scotland but I didn't realise it was that bad.

e: ^^ Oh, I see we're already discussing it. Sorry!

One road into my village is flooded but the other one is fine. Next village over is hosed and in general the area is screwed. I suspect Leeds and York will be hosed for their week of Boxing Day/January sales.

But there's a chance Cameron will turn up in the area tomorrow to look around and see what happens when you cut all the funds for flood defences...and then not do anything.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Who was saying the UK was less nationalistic because it didn't have a social media legion to spread its propaganda?

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/6592564

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Coohoolin posted:

Who was saying the UK was less nationalistic because it didn't have a social media legion to spread its propaganda?

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/6592564

Every relevant army has a white propaganda unit, you might as well define a modern army as having one. It's not the same as what Russia and China do to gently caress with democratist dissidents in their own countries. I don't think it was being used in this way.

White propaganda works and doesn't involve bullets. This was done before we decided to fly over every night and see what we could bomb.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

Kill them dude.

You need the EXP and Gold dude as the game will get harder later on.

You're a monster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

You're a monster.

Does he drop good loot?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Does he drop good loot?

I wouldn't know, I've spared him.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There's an article on KentOnline just now about the Medway foodbank running out of food and having to turn people away.

E: on mirror too: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/foodbank-forced-turn-families-away-7065340#ICID=sharebar_twitter

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Starving to death is a sure way of turning shirkers into strivers.

That's what IDS says anyway, and who the gently caress am I to argue.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

do you think they have a real cobra at the cobra base?

i hope it bites pigfucker right on the taint.

why would you wish such a horrible thing on a cobra

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Venomous posted:

Got Undertale for Christmas. I'm only a couple of hours in, but so far it's the best game I've played all year. I seriously recommend that all of you play it.

Undertale is an amazing game, a work of actual no-hyperbole genius, and I can't stand it and got a refund because it is so not for me :saddowns:

It is I, I am the plebeian.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Serial Murderer is my favorite character.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Doesn't COBRA literally stand for Cabinet Office breifing room A or something?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

There's an article on KentOnline just now about the Medway foodbank running out of food and having to turn people away.

E: on mirror too: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/foodbank-forced-turn-families-away-7065340#ICID=sharebar_twitter

also we've got lunatics with rusty machetes running around

I mean if you attempt an attack of sorts in a shopping mall with rusty machetes and injure only yourself then you probably aren't a coordinated terrorist.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Doesn't COBRA literally stand for Cabinet Office breifing room A or something?

Yes. If the room's already booked they have to go to COBRB but it puts a bit of a downer on the whole event.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

I'm sure the middle eastern women getting regularly spat at, booted off trains, and called terrorists will take great comfort in this survey.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
In addition to being underwater, Leeds apparently has untreatable super-gonorrhea: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35153794

quote:

Gonorrhoea could become an untreatable disease, England's chief medical officer has warned.
Dame Sally Davies has written to all GPs and pharmacies to ensure they are prescribing the correct drugs after the rise of "super-gonorrhoea" in Leeds.
Her warning comes after concerns were raised that some patients were not getting both of the antibiotics needed to clear the infection.
Sexual health doctors said gonorrhoea was "rapidly" developing resistance.
A highly drug-resistant strain of gonorrhoea was detected in the north of England in March.
That strain is able to shrug off the antibiotic azithromycin, which is normally used alongside another drug, ceftriaxone.
In her letter, the chief medical officer said: "Gonorrhoea is at risk of becoming an untreatable disease due to the continuing emergence of antimicrobial resistance."
From this we can only conclude that God has looked down upon Leeds and deemed it hateful in His sight.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Spangly A posted:

Every relevant army has a white propaganda unit, you might as well define a modern army as having one. It's not the same as what Russia and China do to gently caress with democratist dissidents in their own countries. I don't think it was being used in this way.

White propaganda works and doesn't involve bullets. This was done before we decided to fly over every night and see what we could bomb.

Once I thought I'd like to see some sort of exposé on white propaganda, but then I realised that it's probably just /pol/ all the way down.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So anyone want to give odds on whether the Indy's article about a Corbyn reshuffle as genuine as the last half dozen, or have they got actual information this time?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

EvilGenius posted:

I'm sure the middle eastern women getting regularly spat at, booted off trains, and called terrorists will take great comfort in this survey.

As mentioned in the article it's such a broad group of people it's almost meaningless. The young white male that the uk thread would hate (posh young tory) could be the complete opposite of the young white male that some one else hated (poor kid from a council estate).

Also it's the easiest group of people too give an answer too in a survey (only the most brazen racists generally reveal their true feelings). I haven't actually bothered too see if this was online or not.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

In addition to being underwater, Leeds apparently has untreatable super-gonorrhea: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35153794

From this we can only conclude that God has looked down upon Leeds and deemed it hateful in His sight.

That's a fair assessment.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

From this (and the rise of XDR-TB and the rest) we can only conclude that Darwin Was Right and that doctors should be given compulsory courses in evolutionary biology, antibiotics should be extremely tightly regulated, incorrectly prescribing them for viral infections should lead to being immediately struck off, and we should ban the import of meat treated with antibiotics and burn any that arrives on our shores.

This sounds like standard-issue UKMT hyperbole but it actually isn't, these are policies I think we should actually adopt.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 27, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm okay as I'm uphill from the River Calder. Floods have subsided for now.

Jesus christ, though:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zephro posted:

From this (and the rise of XDR-TB and the rest) we can only conclude that Darwin Was Right and that doctors should be given compulsory courses in evolutionary biology, antibiotics should be extremely tightly regulated, incorrectly prescribing them for viral infections should lead to being immediately struck off, and we should ban the import of meat treated with antibiotics and burn any that arrives on our shores.

This sounds like standard-issue UKMT hyperbole but it actually isn't, these are policies I think we should actually adopt.

nah i'll just buy some reagent grade antibiotics (not for human consumption label included) and self medicate :smug:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zephro posted:

meat treated with antibiotics

I have never heard of this and also what the hell?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Ever watched videos of an industrial slaughter house? There's a particularly telling one from a pig slaughterhouse you can find online.

The animals are heavily dosed with anti-biotics because the meat is actually filled with bacteria to such a degree that some animals cannot walk due to their ailments and the animals are 99% of the time filled with pus and infected tissues. Every animal is lanced as it passes down the line and what comes out is vile beyond belief.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 27, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Ever watched videos of an industrial slaughter house? There's a particularly telling one from a pig slaughterhouse you can find online.

The animals are heavily dosed with anti-biotics because the meat is atually filled with bacteria to such a degreee that some animals cannot walk due to their infections and the animal are 99% of the time filled with pus and infected tissues.

Liar. Pigs live jolly, joy filled lives and every now and then they go through a quick and painless operation to remove some bacon + sausages (like a haircut) before going back to frolicking in a meadow with their friends.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Renaissance Robot posted:

http://www.tufts.edu/med/apua/about_issue/antibiotic_agri.shtml

quote:

It is estimated that over one-half of the antibiotics in the U.S. are used in food animal production. The overuse of antimicrobials in food animal production is an under-appreciated problem. In both human and veterinary medicine, the risk of developing resistance rises each time bacteria are exposed to antimicrobials. Resistance opens the door to treatment failure for even the most common pathogens and leads to an increasing number of infections. The mounting evidence of the relationship between antimicrobial use in animal husbandry and the increase in bacterial resistance in humans has prompted several reviews of agricultural practices by scientific authorities in a number of countries, including the US.
They're given because they promote rapid growth. If someone came to you and said "how could we best encourage antibiotic resistance on a large scale" you'd have a hard time coming up with a better plan than "let's feed constant low doses to literally hundreds of millions of domesticated livestock kept in high-population-density sheds".

It's very common in India and China too.

Nothing will change in America (and maybe India too) because money owns politics in both places but it's an incredibly stupid policy.

It's been illegal in the EU since 2006 but compliance has been spotty.

edit: Also in India you can also literally buy antibiotics over the counter without a prescription, a sensible and intelligent policy with no conceivable downsides at all.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 27, 2015

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

factory farming makes animals incredibly sick and is what most vegans are so rightly pissed about.

Discovering that bacteria can parallel transfer antiobiotic resistance is just the poo poo death cherry on the cruelty pie

Zephro posted:

They're given because they promote rapid growth. If someone came to you and said "how could we best encourage antibiotic resistance on a large scale" you'd have a hard time coming up with a better plan than "let's feed constant low doses to literally hundreds of millions of domesticated livestock kept in high-population-density sheds".

not that this is a good defense in any way, but I thought the argument was "meat can't transfer antibiotic resistances because they're a genetic issue", which China has confirmed is untrue.

Antiobiotic apocalypse is well on the way, and as someone spending their life immunocomprimised, I am not so keen.

Zephro posted:

This is absolutely correct and necessary, I'd only argue that with our total lack of doctors we should simply switch the prescription system over to a proper dual-check system with more Pharmacy oversight and remove priveleges, not strike off, for failures on this. We can't afford to strike people off. But people are determined not to understand what the return of Measles and yeah, XDR-TB actually means for the world. We're about to leap 100 years backwards.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 27, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Spangly A posted:

not that this is a good defense in any way, but I thought the argument was "meat can't transfer antibiotic resistances because they're a genetic issue", which China has confirmed is untrue.
If you cook the meat properly it's true that you personally won't catch diseases from eating it. But bacteria enthusiastically exchange genetic information via something called horizontal gene transfer (Bioshock fans: one mechanism is through plasmids, which are little portable package of DNA that bacteria exchange). So if one group of bacteria develops resistance they are capable of passing the relevant genes to other bacteria that don't yet have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_gene_transfer

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Zephro posted:

If you cook the meat properly it's true that you personally won't catch diseases from eating it. But bacteria enthusiastically exchange genetic information via something called horizontal gene transfer (Bioshock fans: one mechanism is through plasmids, which are little portable package of DNA that bacteria exchange). So if one group of bacteria develops resistance they are capable of passing the relevant genes to other bacteria that don't yet have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_gene_transfer

horizontal gene transfer was what I meant when I said parallel, do you have the study handy?

This is genuinely an issue more important than anything except global warming. We've got a few decades to start discovering new antibiotics, or we might lose them. Drugs of last resort being dead is an unwelcome prospect that is already happening

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I searched for it myself and the earliest cites I can find, thinking that the specifics were recent, was 2004.

We've been doing this deliberately, knowing the consequence, for 11 years. I shouldn't be shocked.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

We're about to leap 100 years backwards.
The party in charge regards this as a good thing. Consumption makes men more creative and women more beautiful. :wotwot:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The party in charge regards this as a good thing. Consumption makes men more creative and women more beautiful. :wotwot:

won't be so funny when they catch rabies at the next dinner party

e; except for me, I shall laugh til I whoop, and vomit, and convulse, and die

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

horizontal gene transfer was what I meant when I said parallel, do you have the study handy?

This is genuinely an issue more important than anything except global warming. We've got a few decades to start discovering new antibiotics, or we might lose them. Drugs of last resort being dead is an unwelcome prospect that is already happening

I'm sure the market will solve this problem for us no need to be worried

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Sexual health doctors said gonorrhoea was "rapidly" developing resistance.

I initially read this as "rapily" and made the following face :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I hope nobody is expecting David Cameron to dramatically change his position on unnecessary pork injections.

• Locked thread