Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
My Ballot:

Edmonds
Griffey, Jr.
Edgar
Mussina
Raines
Schilling
Sheffield
Mike Sweeney

No McGwire or Sosa because gently caress both the Cardinals and the Cubs

Sweeney because I'm a huge homer and I want to see another Royal in the hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Exodor posted:

My Ballot:

Edmonds

No McGwire or Sosa because gently caress both the Cardinals and the Cubs

If your ballot was real it would send SAS into a loving conniption fit.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

If your ballot was real it would send SAS into a loving conniption fit.

Somehow Edmonds does't inspire the same Cardinals hate in me as McGwire.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
If you think about it no one should get votes their first time on the ballot

I can't see a problem with this

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Well, excuse me. I thought the was thread where we role-play sports writers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

Well, excuse me. I thought the was thread where we role-play sports writers.

:smith:

IcePhoenix posted:

So what is the SAS MLB Hall of Fame Ballot? Well, every year the BWAA votes on the MLB Hall of Fame, and every year we watch as they inevitably gently caress it up. With all the talk, I'd like to see who we would put into the hall. I'm going to keep track of this through multiple years, so when we induct players and the writers don't, they won't appear on the next ballot (and vice versa). I also changed the rules a bit, because the BBWA is dumb.

If that's how you want to do your ballot though, then you do you :shrug: At least I understand why you used that reasoning.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 18, 2015

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
If your intent was to role-play a sports writer you should have included a vote for Eckstein or a blank ballot. :v: It's stupid that it's a legitimate belief among the voters that people should be left off ballots as if it were a hazing ritual for non "inner circle" HoFers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

On the positive side we're up to 64 ballots cast so hopefully we're going to pass last year before the final push (there were a good amount of ballots cast in the last couple days last year)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Legitimate question: is "He's not a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer" a better or worse reason to leave off Edmonds than "gently caress the cardinals and angels"?

I've thought more about it, and I'll probably never vote for Edmonds, btw.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Frankly, I move that all the whoops I forgot edmonds please add him votes be stricken from the SAS voting record.

Really? 8 people in a row "forgot" to put Jim Edmonds on a ballot?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Well I think it was more a case of dismissing him out of hand at first since he's not really spoken of as a hall of fame caliber player for the most part and then reconsidering after seeing a lot of people here vote for him/talk about his qualifications and taking a second look at his career numbers than actually straight up "forgetting him".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Unless it's the difference between falling off the ballot or staying on, I'm probably only going to add the Sheffield votes because that was me legit loving up and leaving him out of the OP.

Also we're up to 65 responses and last year had a late rush on the last couple days so we might break 100 votes :unsmith:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
Jim Edmonds
Ken Griffey Jr.
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa
Billy Wagner

no curt schilling because gently caress him

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zamboni Jesus posted:

no curt schilling because gently caress him
Serious question: Is OJ Simpson a football hall-of-famer?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Everblight posted:

Serious question: Is OJ Simpson a football hall-of-famer?

yeah, but I suspect that would not be true if he were up for vote today instead of pre-murder.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

10 days left and we've matched our vote total from last year :toot:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bawfuls posted:

I pretty much agree with all of this. I'm fine with the bar for relievers being high.

Voted for:

Ken Griffey Jr.
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Alan Trammell

Waffled on Sheffield a bit

My ballot is exactly the same as this guy's. I waffled on Edgar and Sheffield both and drew the line between them. Still not sure I made the right call but eh, gently caress Gary Sheffield anyway.

While looking through Edgar's career I noticed how hilariously bad the Silver Slugger voting was. In 1996 Edgar hit .327/.464/.595 and they gave it to Molitor (.341/.390/.468). Ohhhh, batting average! Shiny! :swoon: Then in 1998 Edgar hit .322/.429/.565 and they gave it to loving Jose Canseco (.237/.318/.518). Ohhhh, home runs! SHINY! :downs:

And then of course there was 1999, the year Rafael Palmeiro won the silver slugger at DH and the gold glove at 1B. :master:

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
I voted for Trammell and Hoffman but i decided once and for all i'm NOT a small hall guy.
Left off Jim Edmonds, voted for Sheffield. Also in our day and age i think we have to vote in some relievers. They are very important and are no longer simply starters who failed and are moved to the bullpen. That era ended long ago.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eric the Mauve posted:

And then of course there was 1999, the year Rafael Palmeiro won the silver slugger at DH and the gold glove at 1B. :master:

This is my favorite one.

chilihead posted:

Also in our day and age i think we have to vote in some relievers. They are very important and are no longer simply starters who failed and are moved to the bullpen. That era ended long ago.

:agreed: Trying to figure out where to set their bar is hard, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I dunno, we still live in a world where Wade Davis fails as a starter for years and then moves to the bullpen and instantly becomes an untouchable badass, so I guess I'm still a bit skeptical that relievers are not still simply starters who failed are moved to the bullpen. And if even an asskicking reliever provides more value in 70 innings than a good starter provides in 200, none of the statistical value models are yet able to find it.

e: Like just for a quick example even Mariano tops out at 5.0 WAR and has four other seasons over 4. Even Jack Morris tops that. I guess the argument is "Relief Pitcher has been a legitimate distinct and important position for 40 years now and the best relief pitchers should be in the Hall of Fame or else the Hall will be lacking an important element of how the game was played." I go back and forth on it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 21, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Rose

Griffy

Edgar

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

chilihead posted:

I voted for Trammell and Hoffman but i decided once and for all i'm NOT a small hall guy.
Left off Jim Edmonds, voted for Sheffield. Also in our day and age i think we have to vote in some relievers. They are very important and are no longer simply starters who failed and are moved to the bullpen. That era ended long ago.
Rivera is coming up soon and I don't know why we'd need a bunch from the same era (and I don't know that Hoffman would be #2 on my list, either). The Hall stretched like hell to put Sutter and Fingers in, while Eckersley was a really good starter for a decade. Hoffman is a worse pitcher than dozens of guys who will never sniff the Hall.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If it was so easy to turn a lovely starting pitcher into a great reliever, then wouldn't every team have 7 or 8 great relievers on the roster? And more in the minors?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah I always thought the whole "relievers are just lovely starting pitchers" thing was overblown. I mean if that's the case you could just as easily say you shouldn't vote for any corner fielding position because they're just lovely CF/SS/2B/catchers.

It just seems an overreaction to a lot of the emphasis that's been given to closers in baseball the last couple decades or so.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I would make the case that definitely K-Rod and probably Joe Nathan will belong in the Hall of Fame after their career ends if Hoffman does. They both have career ERA+ much higher than Hoffman and K-Rod will probably pass Hoffman's career innings pitched. Nathan probably won't make it to 1000 innings pitched as a reliever but he's got like 750 and his ERA+ is brought down by 100+ innings of poor starts. Neither one will retire with nearly the number of saves that Hoffman has but they will approach or pass his career innings pitched and should finish with ERA+ above his, barring collapse over a large number of innings.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nathan's 2004-2009 were completely absurd but I don't think you can put a guy in off of six years.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Nathan's 2004-2009 were completely absurd but I don't think you can put a guy in off of six years.

Especially considering how epically he collapsed after that. There wasn't a real gradual decline iirc. He went from lights out to a tire fire in the span of a season.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Popete posted:

Seeing a few ballots that have McGwire and forego Sosa.

For shame...

a 128 OPS+ corner outfielder does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Paul Zuvella posted:

a 128 OPS+ corner outfielder does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

:agreed: let's not put Ichiro in the hall either

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

If you are going to put Sosa in, I feel that it has to be for narrative/Big Hall reasons at this point. Fred McGriff was a better hitter overall, but he doesn't generate remotely the buzz. And I dont know if Sosa's running/glove covers the value gap from good to great even if it might put him ahead of guys like McGriff.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

If you could split Rickey Henderson in two, you’d have two 127 OPS+ corner outfielders who don't belong in the Hall of Fame.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

3DHouseofBeef posted:

If you are going to put Sosa in, I feel that it has to be for narrative/Big Hall reasons at this point. Fred McGriff was a better hitter overall, but he doesn't generate remotely the buzz. And I dont know if Sosa's running/glove covers the value gap from good to great even if it might put him ahead of guys like McGriff.

His peak was insane and he has some of the traditional numbers that make a good case for a big hall guy.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I voted for fourteen. Jesus Christ. All the usual suspects are on my ballot, as well as both relievers - the idea that only one RP per generation is good enough seems insane to me. Imagine if we held other positions to that standard. Jeff Kent is maybe a bit of a homer vote but I don't think it's a travesty for the all time HR leader at 2B to go into the Hall of Fame. And I threw Jason Kendall a pity vote, I mean he's not a Hall of Famer but the guy averaged 140 games a year over a 15-year career as a loving catcher, hit .300 five times and narrowly missed several other times, and is the 18th best catcher of all time by WAR, although a lot of that comes from defense and who the hell knows about catcher dWAR (not me that's for sure).

While we're talking about relief pitchers and the HoF, would you guys put in Kimbrel and/or Chapman if they keep doing their thing for another 5-6 years?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

While we're talking about relief pitchers and the HoF, would you guys put in Kimbrel and/or Chapman if they keep doing their thing for another 5-6 years?
Dear God no.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yeah absolutely. That kind of dominance for 10-ish years is an easy case.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

I voted for fourteen. Jesus Christ. All the usual suspects are on my ballot, as well as both relievers - the idea that only one RP per generation is good enough seems insane to me. Imagine if we held other positions to that standard. Jeff Kent is maybe a bit of a homer vote but I don't think it's a travesty for the all time HR leader at 2B to go into the Hall of Fame.

Relievers aren't held to that standard at all. For players that played a bulk of their career in the 1970s and later, as many relievers have been elected as any other single position other than starting pitcher.

Relievers - 4
2nd Base - 4
SS - 4

Considering that Hoffman likely will make it, and that Rivera is definitely going to, relievers are about to pull ahead.

I'm a big hall guy and don't really care if guys like Sutter and Hoffman are in there, but if anything relievers are already over represented. And Jeff Kent has a way better case than Hoffman.

Edit - the more I look at it, there may or may not have been some finagling going on as far as position counts, but here's the article that I got that from.
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/67273/one-more-crazy-note-about-relief-pitchers-and-the-hall-of-fame
The point that relivers aren't held to a higher standard at all stands though as far as I can tell.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 27, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Votedfor everyone but schilling and eckstein, so basically just anti-votes for those 2

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

If Kimbrel keeps going at his current level, he would be better than Rivera, so yes.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I want to vote for Shawn Green and Hideo Nomo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone that doesn't vote for Alan Trammell is a bad voter. :colbert:

• Locked thread