Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, Greater Dog? I believe he only moves towards you in his attacks if you move at all. So just stay still when it's his turn.

If it's the attack where he's moving, he'll definitely go for you. It's only the attack where he's sleeping where holding still keeps you safe. Then he won't bark at you.

Also, if you're still struggling:
Check your equipment. You probably have something that dogs love. Also, some items can be used in more than one way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Darth Windu posted:

I can't beat the big warrior dog he's got too many thing to do and UndodgeAble ataxx

Remember that blue attacks only hurt you if you're moving. Think about blue stop signs.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

would link to source but pinterest makes it pretty much impossible to figure out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Normal Adult Human posted:

Now imagine a dumpy lizard whos dtf 24/7.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

source

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Forgall posted:

would link to source but pinterest makes it pretty much impossible to figure out.
Source for that

Source for this

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So I'm playing this game for the first time, and I have managed to not kill anyone yet, and I've made it to asgore. Is there supposed to be a large difficulty spike at this boss? I manage to get him down to half and die every time. I haven't been in love with the combat system, but this fight is really testing my patience.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Optimus Subprime posted:

So I'm playing this game for the first time, and I have managed to not kill anyone yet, and I've made it to asgore. Is there supposed to be a large difficulty spike at this boss? I manage to get him down to half and die every time. I haven't been in love with the combat system, but this fight is really testing my patience.

He's tough. Use the TALK command three times at the start of the fight and his stats will nose-dive when you tell him that he's killed you already - they'll drop further and further for every death. On the off chance you still have the Pie from the start of the game, eat it in front of him and his stats will fall even further.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I already ate the pie, unfortunately. I did the talking thing as well. I probably just need to be more precise, as I have a starfait and a hamburger left, but no more cash.

I really don't like the way the heart controls tbh, its making me not want to bother finishing the game. I had less trouble playing through ikaruga than this game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

I already ate the pie, unfortunately. I did the talking thing as well. I probably just need to be more precise, as I have a starfait and a hamburger left, but no more cash.

I really don't like the way the heart controls tbh, its making me not want to bother finishing the game. I had less trouble playing through ikaruga than this game.

Do you have a USB controller? The game has controller support and it makes it a breeze to do stuff. Also, enemies in the CORE don't stop spawning. Go back and get some more cash from them if you need it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Optimus Subprime posted:

I'm actually a little surprised-- I found Asgore to be a lot easier than Undyne. I assume you picked up on the colors his eyes flash during his hit-the-entire-area attack?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Optimus Subprime posted:

If you're really desperate, you could always go back to the Tem Village and sell your excess crap for more cash. Now that you have the Old Dagger and the Heart Shaped Locket all of your old kit is obsolete anyway.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

If the whole fight was the eye thing, I would be a much happier person.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sleep at Snowdin (it's free) and you can start the fight with 10 extra HP.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

For infinite cash, buy cloudy eyeglasses from the turtle shopkeeper in Waterfall and sell to Temmie. (There's other ways for non combat money but this is the quickest.) The most efficient way to fill your inventory with healing is bisicles from the shopkeeper in Snowdin. Especially if you equip the frying pan.

If you die enough, pay for cool leg in the Temmie village and buy Tem armour. That gets cheaper the more you die.

Stay determined. This is the toughest fight in the non-genocide game.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 30, 2015

Surrealities
Apr 11, 2010
If you stay above 1 hp, even if it's just 2 hp, Asgore can't kill you. If he hits you at 2 hp, he will do 1 damage, and the attack will end immediately. Wear the apron for its every other turn regen and keep this in mind. He can't kill you unless you enter an attack phase with 1 hp.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Forgall posted:

Now draw her getting murdered by an 8-year old wearing a tutu.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

YggiDee posted:

Sleep at Snowdin (it's free) and you can start the fight with 10 extra HP.

NOTE: if you have 80 gold

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

NOTE: if you have 80 gold

The inn's free no matter what, I think.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

The inn's free no matter what, I think.

innkeep won't let you spend the night if you have less than 80 gold, iirc

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Toxxupation posted:

yeah, because it costs 80 to stay a night but you don't stay that long so you get a refund.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Surrealities posted:

If you stay above 1 hp, even if it's just 2 hp, Asgore can't kill you. If he hits you at 2 hp, he will do 1 damage, and the attack will end immediately. Wear the apron for its every other turn regen and keep this in mind. He can't kill you unless you enter an attack phase with 1 hp.

This never worked for me at all

Surrealities
Apr 11, 2010

TheTatteredKing posted:

This never worked for me at all

Really? I've done the fight before by only using healing items at 1 hp, taking advantage of turns where the regen kicked in for another free attack, and it worked just fine. He always pulled out of the attacks immediately on getting me down to the last hit point (like when Toriel hits you with her hand in that sweep she does).

EDIT: I just tested this, and it looks like he definitely can kill you at 1 hp if he hits it during an attack. I must've misremembered.

Or gotten really good at dodging, but only after I hit 1 HP.

Surrealities fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 30, 2015

logarithm
Oct 29, 2010

organburner posted:

yeah, because it costs 80 to stay a night but you don't stay that long so you get a refund.

I'm pretty sure she says something like "you don't even have 80g? oh poor kid, just go, it's on the house" and you get the room anyway, but I could be wrong

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

logarithm posted:

I'm pretty sure she says something like "you don't even have 80g? oh poor kid, just go, it's on the house" and you get the room anyway, but I could be wrong

I'm again pretty sure that this isn't the case since I seem to remember getting bummed when I didn't have the cash, but maybe it depends on something weird and obscure that no one will ever find out.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

logarithm posted:

I have absolutely done this but only on my first visit so I don't know if this deal stops being good.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Surrealities posted:

Really? I've done the fight before by only using healing items at 1 hp, taking advantage of turns where the regen kicked in for another free attack, and it worked just fine. He always pulled out of the attacks immediately on getting me down to the last hit point (like when Toriel hits you with her hand in that sweep she does).

EDIT: I just tested this, and it looks like he definitely can kill you at 1 hp if he hits it during an attack. I must've misremembered.

Or gotten really good at dodging, but only after I hit 1 HP.

Maybe you're confusing this with the torial fight?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Toriel stops trying to hit you at 2 HP or below, because she doesn't want to kill you, just frighten you. Asgore knows its either you or him, but he really can't bring himself to deal the final blow. When you're at low HP one hit will bring you to 1, the next kills you. Those two hits can be in the same attack, so its likely Surreal and I beat it the same way: get really good at clutch dodging and exploit the hell out of his mercy on regen turns.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
I'm fairly sure the bridge before Mettaton in the CORE is a good place to farm money if you need to fill your inventory with healing items (Bisicles from Snowdin are the best).

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I think the Empty Gun can actually end the fight faster than the dagger if you're good at timing. Dagger does something like 140 a hit, but the gun can do 200+ if you time it right.

There's no shame in struggling with this one, it's one of the harder fights. I did a no-item run recently, and I died so many times the game stopped counting.

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012

Optimus Subprime posted:

It's a lot easier if you LV up. :eng101:

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 30, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

It really helps to get good at dodging. If you stay near the midline of the screen for the fire hands attacks and just move down the line as the fireballs go off it's a lot easier to dodge (people seem to try hiding near the edge where there's no room to dodge for some reason). The one where fire spirals out from the top, try moving vertically as much as possible and avoid trying to dodge horizontally. The broken caduceus attack with fire blasts down the sides, just ignore the fire blasts (despite the distracting warnings) because you'll want to stay near the midline anyway. The concentric rings of fire, you wanna stay near the center for that one too.

I don't have any tips for the multiple caduceus blasts zipping down the screen though, that's just pure muscle memory.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bonfiesta posted:

It's a lot easier if you LV up. :eng101:

Ironically, Asgore is the one fight that's significantly harder if you've gained any LV.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dad Jokes posted:

I think the Empty Gun can actually end the fight faster than the dagger if you're good at timing. Dagger does something like 140 a hit, but the gun can do 200+ if you time it right.

It does, yes. If you hit a quad gold it does WAY more than 200 damage and can end the fight stupidly fast, I think it was like 700 damage or something completely ludicrous. Unfortunately, hitting that consistently with the Gun is extremely hard but even if you're less good, hitting quad golds with the Burnt Pan still does within the ballpark of about 350 damage. So consider that as an option.

The dagger is actually kind of a poo poo weapon, use Empty Gun or Burnt Pan.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Toxxupation posted:

The innkeeper absolutely will. They feel sorry for you and let you stay for free.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The image of Undyne the Undying getting kicked in the face by Ballerina Frisk a quarter her size is pretty funny. Like, bending backwards, spit flying everywhere Rocky-style, and Frisk has that stupid deadpan face on the whole time.

Maybe that's the lesson we should all learn from this; if you want to be the best at murdering, no matter what, you should be forced to look really dumb.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

The innkeeper absolutely will. They feel sorry for you and let you stay for free.

Do they have a different quote if you talk to them during the fade-out on a free stay?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Not Undyne, but....

Wosh u SOUL

http://princebunbuns.tumblr.com/post/136262761079/a-comic-based-on-the-video-game-undertale-the

Stone cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Dominic White posted:

Not Undyne, but....
Stone cold.

Wosh u Sole

• Locked thread