Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

USA, specifically Eastern Shore of Maryland.

Maryland sounds like a gorgeous place. One of my favourite podcasts features a comedian named Ryan Sickler and he's always talking about its highs and lows in some parts - normally the highs though.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Whilst - having visited at USA lodges - I am aware of how very different things are, the tenets are the same. There are many experienced brethren here from the us who - after due examination - I'm sure would love to help you on your journey.

Enjoy masonry. (Did you find the whole goat portion of your initiation bizarre? Loomer and I used kangaroos...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Maryland sounds like a gorgeous place. One of my favourite podcasts features a comedian named Ryan Sickler and he's always talking about its highs and lows in some parts - normally the highs though.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Whilst - having visited at USA lodges - I am aware of how very different things are, the tenets are the same. There are many experienced brethren here from the us who - after due examination - I'm sure would love to help you on your journey.

Enjoy masonry. (Did you find the whole goat portion of your initiation bizarre? Loomer and I used kangaroos...)

Without saying too much, I was appropriately surprised by the goat.

Many from Maryland would argue that I come from one of the low parts of Maryland, and I would find it hard to argue. That said, there is beauty to be found here, and it's my home, so I'm inclined to point out the good of the area.

What podcast would you be referring to? I'm always looking for more to listen to at the gym or on my commutes.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Without saying too much, I was appropriately surprised by the goat.

Many from Maryland would argue that I come from one of the low parts of Maryland, and I would find it hard to argue. That said, there is beauty to be found here, and it's my home, so I'm inclined to point out the good of the area.

What podcast would you be referring to? I'm always looking for more to listen to at the gym or on my commutes.

'The Crabfeast'. Hilarious.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Weird question but how many masons are actually familiar with non-free (IE professional) masonry? Like, are there any masons that are also freemasons, or freemasons that are also masons?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 2, 2016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The vast majority of us these days are not familiar with it in any meaningful sense, though there are a fair few bricklayers, architects and builders who've entered the fraternity over the years.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I worked for 7 years as an actual stonemason. Apprenticed for two or so, and then learned the craft. Another member of one of my lodges has been an operative stonemason for several decades. We are certainly the exception, and not the rule though.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

One of the guys in my lodge is an operative mason. It made his progress through the degrees very slow, because he was always all over the county helping with various construction projects.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Greetings, new Brothers. I have completed my initiation. Welcome me aboard!

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

GlyphGryph posted:

Something something goat something.

Welcome Brother GlyphGryph.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

Welcome, brother! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Welcome, brother.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

Just the beginning, Brother. Enjoy it!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Something something goat something.

I was expressly told not to talk about the goat. ;)

Thanks everyone! Two months until step two and getting to go deeper, looking forward to what happens next!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

GlyphGryph posted:

Welcome, brother. I'm recently initiated myself, so I'm probably working on the same things you are.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Anyone in the Southern Michigan area interested in a "Building Better Builders" workshop with Br. John S. Nagy in late April?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
First day as Lodge Secretary ...

Edit: welcome, new Brothers!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Good grief :stare:

We had a second degree last night and, due to various factors including weather, we didn't get to practice last week, and about 1/3 of our team couldn't make it last night.

The senior deacon could barely remember his lines and knew practically none of the floor work :( in my opinion there's no worse feeling than seeing a candidate get a terrible degree. Oh well, I'm just a junior warden but I think it was enough to kick some of their asses into gear. I think I'm going to be in charge of our next degree which is a 1st. No way in hell I'm going to let a 1st degree be that bad.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Finally made it to Lodge again. The Grand Master was unavailable for the chilli cookoff, so the Senior Grand Warden had to step in. Jim Mendoza, hell of a guy.At the end he gave a rousing speech about how our lodge was one of the few he's visited this past year that makes it a point to reach out to everyone. EAs including myself have basically constant communication with the lodge leadership, and everyone takes steps to actually ask how each other is doing. I'm not sure if that level of communication is sadly that unique, or if his rousing speech was simply for our benefit. Either way it worked.

Plus, I got to close the lodge, which was cool as gently caress. Apparently I use a rap a gavel with "vigorous force, and clear intent." Not as well as our last WM who split the marble base, or a guy from Edmonds, i think, that split a gavel in two. Would have loved to see that one.

Anyway, it's good to be back. It's been too drat long.

Fake edit: We have two operative masons in our lodge. Hell of a job, don't think I could ever do it.

actual edit:

COOL CORN posted:

Good grief :stare:

We had a second degree last night and, due to various factors including weather, we didn't get to practice last week, and about 1/3 of our team couldn't make it last night.

The senior deacon could barely remember his lines and knew practically none of the floor work :( in my opinion there's no worse feeling than seeing a candidate get a terrible degree. Oh well, I'm just a junior warden but I think it was enough to kick some of their asses into gear. I think I'm going to be in charge of our next degree which is a 1st. No way in hell I'm going to let a 1st degree be that bad.
My first degree was a clusterfuck. It was after our dark period, nobody was ready for a degree, it was the first one in some time, and everyone had to fill in positions they were unfamiliar with. I loved it. It made me realize that even people that have been through it have trouble with the memorization. Stupid drat cyphers....

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 22, 2016

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My lodge once did a move up night on a raising. Well, that's all

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Emron posted:

My lodge once did a move up night on a raising. Well, that's all

You mean like move up one step in the chairs?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You mean like move up one step in the chairs?

Yep. Normally done as a practice thing for your next chair, usually on unimportant meetings. But our WM wanted to demonstrate to his SW that he wasn't ready for the East, so surprise! Now we are all in new roles for the night!

It went like rear end, and I'm still really mad over a year later that we ruined the pinnacle of the initiate ritual experience for a brother just because our WM didn't like our SW.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Emron posted:

Yep. Normally done as a practice thing for your next chair, usually on unimportant meetings. But our WM wanted to demonstrate to his SW that he wasn't ready for the East, so surprise! Now we are all in new roles for the night!

It went like rear end, and I'm still really mad over a year later that we ruined the pinnacle of the initiate ritual experience for a brother just because our WM didn't like our SW.

That WM sounds like a super prick.

E: I don't know if you have an analogue of "School of instruction" or "Officers Association" but if he really had a hard on for the SW he should have asked the inspector, officers coach, or whatever to have him give it during that event. That would have been far more punishing and he would learn from the experience, unlike this which just ruined the degree.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 22, 2016

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

That WM sounds like a super prick.

There was also an abortive attempt to have a swerve on election night where it would go SURPRISE OUR SW DIDNT GET ELECTED TO THE EAST

Thank god that's all behind us. We just did our inspection with our new line, and it was really really great work and a wonderful experience. I gave the best third degree lecture I've ever given, and my dad came to see it. I made him cry :unsmith:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Performing impactful, meaningful ritual is one of the most important aspects of being a Lodge officer in my opinion. I believe degree night should 100% be about the candidate experience.

I've seen bad ritual performed before that made me question how any of the officers involved could sleep at night, and whether or not that candidate would ever return to Masonry. Being good at ritual isn't something that can easily come from the top, it takes the whole team to come together and agree to get better.

Any Californians in this thread headed up to the Secretary's retreat this weekend? If so I'll see you in San Ramon!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

FreshFeesh posted:

Performing impactful, meaningful ritual is one of the most important aspects of being a Lodge officer in my opinion. I believe degree night should 100% be about the candidate experience.

I've seen bad ritual performed before that made me question how any of the officers involved could sleep at night, and whether or not that candidate would ever return to Masonry. Being good at ritual isn't something that can easily come from the top, it takes the whole team to come together and agree to get better.

I absolutely agree with this. Well put.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Kilo147 posted:

Finally made it to Lodge again. The Grand Master was unavailable for the chilli cookoff, so the Senior Grand Warden had to step in. Jim Mendoza, hell of a guy.At the end he gave a rousing speech about how our lodge was one of the few he's visited this past year that makes it a point to reach out to everyone. EAs including myself have basically constant communication with the lodge leadership, and everyone takes steps to actually ask how each other is doing. I'm not sure if that level of communication is sadly that unique, or if his rousing speech was simply for our benefit. Either way it worked.

Plus, I got to close the lodge, which was cool as gently caress. Apparently I use a rap a gavel with "vigorous force, and clear intent." Not as well as our last WM who split the marble base, or a guy from Edmonds, i think, that split a gavel in two. Would have loved to see that one.

Anyway, it's good to be back. It's been too drat long.

Fake edit: We have two operative masons in our lodge. Hell of a job, don't think I could ever do it.

actual edit:

My first degree was a clusterfuck. It was after our dark period, nobody was ready for a degree, it was the first one in some time, and everyone had to fill in positions they were unfamiliar with. I loved it. It made me realize that even people that have been through it have trouble with the memorization. Stupid drat cyphers....

Weren't you initiated like three years ago already? Or was that some other guy with a David Bowie Avatar?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Keetron posted:

Weren't you initiated like three years ago already? Or was that some other guy with a David Bowie Avatar?

Yeah, I'm a third year EA. A crazy loving life, illness, concussions, and God knows what else keeps getting in the way.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah, I'm a third year EA. A crazy loving life, illness, concussions, and God knows what else keeps getting in the way.

Are you a Seattle guy or elsewhere? Wouldn't mind doing some visits and meeting a goon brother wouldn't be all bad(I hope)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Maksimus54 posted:

Are you a Seattle guy or elsewhere? Wouldn't mind doing some visits and meeting a goon brother wouldn't be all bad(I hope)

Bothell, Ashler Lodge #121 F&AM of Washington.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
You and Wafflehound are members there right? I think you meet the same night we do, 3rd Thursday. Ballard, Occidental #72 F&AM

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
So, if this is the wrong place, please let me know.

I'm wondering if you guys could tell me anything about an object that may have belonged to my grandfather on Dad's side. It's on a small chain, like a bracelet:

All I really know is that it may have been his (there were some masonic cufflinks and pins in his stuff along with this, hence the conjecture that it has something to do with that).

junopsis fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 26, 2016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Does it unfold?

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Loomer posted:

Does it unfold?

It may part around the line where the spiky bits are, but if so, only into two hemispheres (and I've never tried; it doesn't look easy to achieve, and I don't want to break it). There's no hinges or other seams than the one around the middle.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Kilo147 posted:

Bothell, Ashler Lodge #121 F&AM of Washington.

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm petitioning in Marysville, small world!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

junopsis posted:

So, if this is the wrong place, please let me know.

I'm wondering if you guys could tell me anything about an object that may have belonged to my grandfather on Dad's side. It's on a small chain, like a bracelet:

All I really know is that it may have been his (there were some masonic cufflinks and pins in his stuff along with this, hence the conjecture that it has something to do with that).

I wouldn't play with it too much

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/26/us/milwaukee-masonic-temple-mass-shooting-planned-charges/

Disaster averted. Stay safe out there brethren. I know most of you aren't in the same position I am (working in a publicly accessible masonic building), but it's still kinda scary.

edit:

just incase you weren't sure if Freemasonry was the motivation:

quote:

"They are all Masonic; they are playing with the world like a game, man, and we are like asses, we don't know what is going on, these are the ones who are fighting, these are the ones who are fighting, these are the ones that needs to be killed, not the Shi'iat because these are the ones who are against us, these are the ones who are making living for us like hell."

From here: http://www.cbs58.com/story/31062395/fbi-thwarts-mass-shooting-planned-at-masonic-temple-in-milwaukee

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 27, 2016

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/26/us/milwaukee-masonic-temple-mass-shooting-planned-charges/

Disaster averted. Stay safe out there brethren. I know most of you aren't in the same position I am (working in a publicly accessible masonic building), but it's still kinda scary.

edit:

From here: http://www.cbs58.com/story/31062395/fbi-thwarts-mass-shooting-planned-at-masonic-temple-in-milwaukee

Holy poo poo.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

SylvainMustach posted:

edit:

Terrifying... I'm glad this individual was caught before this became a tragedy.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Someone give me a pep talk to convince me to go back to lodge. I haven't been feeling it lately. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Someone give me a pep talk to convince me to go back to lodge. I haven't been feeling it lately. :smith:

What else are you going to do with your life? Watch TV?