Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I agree, the problem is that we're not loving the middle east hard enough.

e. Uh, Wikipedia says that in 7 ad "Zhai Yi, Governor of the Commandery of Dong (modern Puyang, Henan) declares Liu Zin, Marquess of Yang Xiang (modern Tai'an, Shandong), emperor. This proves to be the largest of the rebellions against Emperor Ruzi of Han.". This owns because the commandery of Dong is a sequence of words which amuses me.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Namtab posted:

I agree, the problem is that we're not loving the middle east hard enough.

That's really not what I said. Do you really disagree that the Saudis are knee deep in everything that's wrong in the middle east?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

*cuts heads off a hydra for decades*

I agree, the problem is we're not fighting the hydra hard enough.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That's really not what I said. Do you really disagree that the Saudis are knee deep in everything that's wrong in the middle east?

I don't know one way or the other

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dabir posted:

Liberal application of fire was actually the solution to beating the hydra in the original myth, so uh

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

A more accurate analogy would be that we're cutting the baby heads off whilst having our collective cocks in the mouth of the grown head pissing money and weapons into its mouth.

The Saudi royal family is the most dangerous gang of criminals alive today.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah exactly, there is a way to kill the hydra and it's not sitting around cutting off heads for ten thousand years while it poisons everything around it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's a view that ignores history. The Saudis are only important because we helped them build their disgusting little kingdom. Neoliberals like to abstain themselves of responsibility by citing the uselessness of unilateral action but then don't engage in multilateral talks in good faith. Given the number of clusterfucks we've already engaged in that region I don't see why destabilising Saudi Arabia would be any worse, at least we might get the weed out by its root at long last.

Interestingly, back in 1915 we actually picked the other bloke, Hussein bin Ali, and then performed a swift reverse ferret to Abdulaziz ibn Saud in 1919 after Hussein made a fuss about being thoroughly shafted by the post-war settlement, which was the diplomatic equivalent of having the entire British and French diplomatic corps teabagging him with pig's testicles. (ibn Saud then figured out which way the wind was blowing during the next war and gave the Americans all his oil contracts.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Simon Danczuk's ex-wife has outed Danczuk as a psychologically abusive oval office.

:munch:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ahahah get hosed danzcuck.

E: Was it C.S Lewis who wrote that thing about it being a dangerous road when you're happy that horrible things were done because it validates your view of your enemies?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

So he's a rapist. Well this doesn't surprise me for even the smallest division of time that physicists could come up with.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So he's a rapist.

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice that, I was just linking to the online equivalent of the front page. :stonk:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Hey thread it's the Queen's 90th birthday this April so in that spirit

quote:

21/10/2015
"Her Majesty The Queen celebrates her 90th birthday in 2016​. To celebrate this event, we want people throughout the UK to join together and present a gift to her, a gift that will benefit us all.

In the run up to The Queen's birthday on 21 April 2016, we aim to inspire a million people to take action and enjoy a few hours together litter-picking to make the places where we live more beautiful. For her, and for us all, we want to attack the blight of litter and reclaim our beautiful countryside, our fabulous cities, our world class parks, our wonderful beaches and waterways.

We will generate litter blitzes throughout the United Kingdom in January, February and March, and the most monumental of all litter clear-ups from Friday 4 to Sunday 6 March 2016.

The first national anti-litter campaign was carried out in 1953, the year of The Queen's coronation, and this was swiftly followed by the establishment of Keep Britain Tidy (and by extension Keep Scotland Beautiful, Keep Wales Tidy and Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful). How appropriate it is then, in the year of The Queen's 90th birthday, that we should all band together to attempt the biggest clean-up in history.

We hope that these activities will leave a legacy, that they will encourage more people to reduce their litter habit and to help us all to live more sustainably.

Join us! Let's Clean for The Queen.

The Queen can get hosed tbh

(The Tories are also doubling the fine for littering, to £150).

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
So what about the speculation that Corbyn is planning to shift Benn in a cabinet reshuffle?

I thought the point of a free vote was that there would be no ramifications from opposing the party leader's stance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dabir posted:

Perhaps not the best metaphor to use for the Saudis this week.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

TinTower posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice that, I was just linking to the online equivalent of the front page. :stonk:

There's always more. And it's always worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

In true Mail fashion they conflate a bunch of things that aren't all that bad but are :monocle: to the social conservative set like "had a joint now and again" and "had interest in BDSM and poppers", things that he maybe should have got help with like "borderline alcoholism", and actual bad things that make him an awful person like "was an abusive shithead" and "demanded things sexually outside of a consenting framework". They're incapable of accusing him of being a rapist without tying in "and he did all the gay drugs too".

Namtab posted:

Governor of the Commandery of Dong

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Plucky Brit posted:

So what about the speculation that Corbyn is planning to shift Benn in a cabinet reshuffle?

I thought the point of a free vote was that there would be no ramifications from opposing the party leader's stance.

The point of a free vote is you can vote however you wish. Labour ought to be presenting a united foreign policy message from their front bench, so Benn can hardly be surprised if he's removed.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Let's wait and see if there is a reshuffle before we all get our knickers in a twist, eh.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Although I hear pissflaps is tipped for shadow home sec.

Actually that's a fun game. Lets make a UKMT shadow cabinet. Nominations for leader?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

In true Mail fashion they conflate a bunch of things that aren't all that bad but are :monocle: to the social conservative set like "had a joint now and again" and "had interest in BDSM and poppers", things that he maybe should have got help with like "borderline alcoholism", and actual bad things that make him an awful person like "was an abusive shithead" and "demanded things sexually outside of a consenting framework". They're incapable of accusing him of being a rapist without tying in "and he did all the gay drugs too".

Also of course all the racy pictures of the 17 year old in that very article about how immoral it was to sext her. And the upshirt shot of his ex-wife bending over, and all the other photos of every woman involved and probably at least one who wasn't. I wanted to work the word 'photogroper' in there somewhere but couldn't get the sentence to flow properly.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Meanwhile Farage continues his tradition of near death vechicle accidents

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-feared-victim-assassination-7110018

But this time was it attempted ..... MURDER?

quote:

Ukip leader Nigel Farage feared tonight he was the victim of an assassination attempt after his car was sabotaged.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I knew he'd be hosed as soon as the ex started talking, I just assumed it'd be Karen.

That means we still have her story to look forward to!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Why would you get married in Gretna Green if one of you weren't under 18? That's kinda weird.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Bozza for Transport Secretary.

Coohoolin for Scottish Secretary. :getin:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Worse than any of that is the fact that he called his daughter Marymartha.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

I just realised I appear to be the only UKMTer in the upper house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually that's a fun game. Lets make a UKMT shadow cabinet. Nominations for leader?

Oberleutnant, then we'd have the government in chaos as Westminster Palace mysteriously burned down one week after the cabinet was appointed but with all the archives mysteriously preserved.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article1652213.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_01_02

quote:

DAVID CAMERON will have to resign as prime minister if he loses the European Union referendum, up to half of his cabinet colleagues believe.
Six cabinet ministers have privately told The Sunday Times that they think Cameron would have to quit if he is defeated — whatever the circumstances — because he will have put his political credibility on the line in the campaign.
But in a warning shot to the prime minister, the number rises if he refuses to give Eurosceptic ministers the freedom to campaign to leave the European Union — a commitment he has so far publicly refused to make.
One cabinet minister said: “If the PM insists that ministers toe the line, divides the party and takes a stand, that would be a high-stakes manoeuvre. If he loses in those circumstances, his position would be untenable. That is the view of half the cabinet.”
Cameron is expected to push for a new deal from Brussels in February, with the referendum to follow in July.
After talks with ministers, Downing Street staff and senior Tory backbenchers, it can be revealed that:

■ A senior Eurosceptic is plotting to demand Cameron’s resignation on the morning after a referendum defeat

■ Senior backbenchers claim up to 50 Tory MPs could force a vote of no confidence in Cameron even if he wins the referendum, if the campaign has left the party split

■ The prime minister’s staff plan to heal bitter divisions after the referendum with a “rapprochement reshuffle” to promote Eurosceptic “big beasts”, whether he wins or loses

■ The former defence secretary Liam Fox and Graham Brady, the Eurosceptic chairman of the backbench 1922 committee, are tipped for a return to the front bench

The prospect of the EU debate dominating the political year is causing concern in No 10. Aides say Cameron has just six weeks to make progress on his domestic agenda before the crunch EU summit means the referendum drowns out all other political issues. He will wheel out new policies on housing and poverty in the next two weeks.
Senior Conservatives say Cameron could face a vote of no confidence [if Britain votes to leave after he campaigned to remain] from MPs and demands to fire George Osborne, who is helping to run the EU renegotiation.
Osborne’s allies are accused of telling MPs that their careers will be over if Osborne succeeds Cameron as leader unless they back the prime minister’s referendum stance.
A former frontbencher said: “All the pressure on Conservative backbenchers is premised on the idea that all the patronage will be George’s to distribute. The pendulum could swing quite quickly against George if they lose. Prime ministers have lost referendums in other EU countries and survived, but people would expect George to pay the price.”

Pretty sure he will ultimately let the eurosceptics campaign to leave if they so desire. The longer he drags this out, the more easily he can present it as a big concession and conciliatory move once it's all done and dusted.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Horselord as Foreign Secretary, that pyramids guy as Minister for Universities and Science.

Also whatever happened to Fluo?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Christ, I knew Danczuk was a prick, I didn't expect him to turn out to be such a monster.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

XMNN posted:

Christ, I knew Danczuk was a prick, I didn't expect him to turn out to be such a monster.

Really?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Plucky Brit posted:

I still don't think it'll happen. If it does Corbyn's basically shot himself in the foot & will be out by the end of May because he'll have completely lost the PLP in a way that'll make right now seem like they wholeheartedly support him.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

I still don't think it'll happen. If it does Corbyn's basically shot himself in the foot & will be out by the end of May because he'll have completely lost the PLP in a way that'll make right now seem like they wholeheartedly support him.

WEAKENED CORBYN BACKS DOWN FROM RESHUFFLE*

* that there was no evidence was going to happen.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
There's a bunch of stuff to come out from his second wife as well, as there were some domestic incidents where her family got involved as well.

He's a really lovely human being.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think it'll happen, everyone will freak out and then realize there's gently caress all they can do about it because Corbyn still runs the Labour Party right now.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Hey guys do you remember when this happened http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a6707721.html

hahahahahahahahahahah.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Yeah, if you'd asked me a month ago if I thought Danczuk might be a rapist I would probably have said no.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

XMNN posted:

Yeah, if you'd asked me a month ago if I thought Danczuk might be a rapist I would probably have said no.

Without hesitation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hey guys do you remember when this happened http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a6707721.html

hahahahahahahahahahah.

:rip:

• Locked thread