Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Nuramor posted:

Wait, how did you make that choice? I just saw you change course back towards the island. Was that it?

Following after Dision will have you join General resource. If you turn away and ignore the request, you will stay with UPEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
The Legend of TF-15A USAF S/N 71-0290, NASA Tail No. 837
In the mid-80's, NASA requested an F-15 to be loaned from the Air Force for use as a flying testbed. It's always been common for older aircraft which had outlived their usefulness to be adapted for research, and in this case, the USAF sent NASA the oldest Eagle in its inventory, 71-0290. 0290 was the sixth F-15 off the McDonnell Douglas (McDD) assembly line in 1971, built as a pre-production TF-15A trainer. These aircraft would later reach full production as the F-15B.

Pretty sure this sexy paint job is also in an Ace Combat game.

0290 was stationed at Edwards AFB in California, from 1973 to 1983, where it was co-operated by McDD and the Air Force as a test platform. Then, in 1984, McDD was awarded a contract for a demonstration aircraft that could perform unassisted short takeoffs and landings from cratered runways, in all weather conditions. So began the "Agile Eagle" program. 0290 was pulled from the active inventory and underwent major modifications. Movable canards -which were actually modified horizontal stabilizers from an F/A-18A Hornet- were fitted outboard of the intake nozzles. The avionics were upgraded to a four-channel FBW system with semi-automated engine management and partial digital glass cockpit, similar to that of the new F-15E Strike Eagles. The APG-70 radar was equipped with an experimental high-res ground-mapping mode which was complemented with an AN/AAQ-13 LANTIRN Navigational FLIR pod. So extensive were the modifications that the aircraft was redesignated NF-15B, meaning it would not be expected to ever return to its former configuration.

This aircraft flew successfully for some time, but phase two of the program added new Pratt&Whitney F-100-229 engines with titanium honeycomb, actuated paddles capable of vectoring the exhaust gases to increase maneuverability, a technology which until then had only been conceptualized. The aircraft was handed over to NASA for testing in 1989, with a new tail number, N837NA. Thus began the F-15S/MTD (Stall and Maneuver Technology Demonstrator) a NASA/USAF joint project designed to demonstrate and test new technology for future projects. The advanced thrust vectoring nozzes operated in two dimensions, controlling pitch and roll only, since they could only move up and down. Vanes could also be opened to vector thrust forwards. The system decreased combat takeoff roll by 25% (although when clean, the aircraft could take off in a staggering 1700 feet, compared to 7500 feet for a stock F-15), reduced the landing roll to a mere 1600 feet, and also reduced the stall speed to an incredible 42 mph. It also meant the aircraft would have theoretically been supremely dangerous in a dogfight, because of its ability to rapidly decelerate and hold extreme angles of attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0RbanvcPmI
New for 1988! She'll be killing Commies in no time, right?

F-15ACTIVE (Advanced Control Technology for Integrated VEhicles) was a tech refresh of the F-15S/MTD. In the mid-90's, P&W developed an improved 3d thrust vectoring system and upgraded flight control system. The new nozzles were round, like a conventional Eagle's, but could be tilted both up and down, and side to side, giving it vectored thrust along the yaw axis and opening the door to even greater agility. These nozzles were also designed to be operated in the supersonic flight envelope, which was previously impossible with the old paddle nozzles.

Note the round nozzles.

The program was not done yet, though, and from 2003-2008 a new form of FCS, the learning neural network, was installed, and the aircraft was dubbed the F-15IFCS (Intelligent Flight Control System). The nature of this program was to develop self-learning computers which could perform real-time damage analysis and adapt the flight characteristics to better suit the aircraft's new reality. In other words, if a missile blasted a chunk of the tailplane off, or an engine lost oil pressure and stopped working, the computer could recognize that and adjust its inputs to keep the craft flying as long as physically possible. The program was concluded in 2008.

The aircraft was included in the "Quiet Spike" supersonic shockwave reduction tests, as a chase plane and sensor platform, although a different aircraft was modified with the experiment itself. Basically, this long spike would pierce the air ahead of the aircraft, creating a smaller area of air resistance and greatly diminishing the magnitude of the "sonic boom" that plagues supersonic aircraft. Developing technology such as this is the only way that supersonic aircraft can safely operate over highly populated areas, as the vibrations have been known to shatter glass and cause disorientation/ ear injuries to people on the ground.

Pinocchio jokes!

Silent Eagle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn6nx_GGERQ
Ooh, some HAWX 3 footage!

In 2009, McDD began to independently work on an upgrade package for the F-15 fleet, to bring it up to 21st Century standards. Aimed at the export market, these upgrades include reductions to its radar cross-section through absorbent materials and coatings, full glass cockpit with state-of-the-art avionics, conformal weapons bays, and canted tailplanes. At a cost of $100 million, it's competitive with other 5th generation fighters. However, it, like other designs, has fallen victim to the cabal that is pushing the F-35 on our allies. Israel, Saudi Arabia, Japan, and South Korea all showed great interest in the program but ended up selecting the Lightning II in the end. The Wikipedia article doesn't make this process sound suspicious at all, no sir.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 24, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The F-35. the BuOrd of the 21st century.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Veloxyll posted:

The F-35. the BuOrd of the 21st century.

The BuOrd, at the very least, wasn't turning a profit from its questionable ordnance... As far as I know, anyway. I'm pretty sure the F-35 is making some people very wealthy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

YeOldeButchere posted:

The BuOrd, at the very least, wasn't turning a profit from its questionable ordnance... As far as I know, anyway. I'm pretty sure the F-35 is making some people very wealthy.

This is true, they just assumed their interwar predecessors were competent, and refused all evidence to the contrary.

Repeatedly.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I just learned of ACTIVE by watching HAWX LP, on the terribly thrilling mission where you slaughter the Pakistani airforce that doesn't fight back to aid a bomber carpet bomb the most obvious terrorist base.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

I just learned of ACTIVE by watching HAWX LP, on the terribly thrilling mission where you slaughter the Pakistani airforce that doesn't fight back to aid a bomber carpet bomb the most obvious terrorist base.

Not to mention you fly that airplane in the OFF Cert mission for that part.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cooked Auto posted:

Not to mention you fly that airplane in the OFF Cert mission for that part.

Well, I only managed to watch it that far...

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Working on ACZ 10th anniversary painting, will have more to show you guys in the next March.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Skwerl posted:

Working on ACZ 10th anniversary painting, will have more to show you guys in the next March.

Thanks, friend. See you again.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Jeeze, that alone man.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

InfinityComplex posted:

Jeeze, that alone man.

I can't find it now, but there was one that I saw years ago where somebody digitally rendered Ulysses strike on the planet from the perspective of a guy in Ocea (I think)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For the curious, yes the LP is still going (I've gotten messages), it's just been delayed slightly due in large part to a major event in my life

And by that I mean I need to re-record my commentary for Mission 7 because it was garbage (it's also a long and somewhat dull mission to comment over despite it being an action packed assault). I'm also taking a small break as the holidays wrap up and such. I might try to redo 7 tonight and have it ready to go by tomorrow or Thrusday at the latest.

Basically: soon

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Poe Dameron is the true Demon Lord of this thread, now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel really bad now, I've been working up stuff on doing an Ace Combat series (and challenge) LP myself for the past few months, doing writeups on history, planes, etc, but here I find you beat me to it. Dammit NGC. :negative:

Guess I'll just have to shelve that and power through yours.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel really bad now, I've been working up stuff on doing an Ace Combat series (and challenge) LP myself for the past few months, doing writeups on history, planes, etc, but here I find you beat me to it. Dammit NGC. :negative:

Guess I'll just have to shelve that and power through yours.

I suppose it's really up to the OP, but it couldn't hurt to contribute your writeups to the thread, right?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

The Casualty posted:

I suppose it's really up to the OP, but it couldn't hurt to contribute your writeups to the thread, right?

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring. I mean, most of the poo poo I've been posting in the thread has been taken from various text files I wrote up through doing some historical research on all the planes in the various games, and at worst I've only had people (read: you, concerning some A-10 stuff earlier) correcting things I got wrong, which is half the reason I'm actually posting them anyway, rather than having people go "no stop go away".
Personally, I think someone else doing that sort of thing for the thread has the potential to make it even more interesting. I'd probably learn even more than I did on my own.

Unrelated, for the Steam sale I just picked up some game called SimplePlanes. I'm not going to make a definitive statement on whether it'd be worth your time or not given I also had high hopes for Vector Thrust before its development slowed to a near-standstill, but I will say the challenge of making an actual working aircraft under realistic physics, even if I'm just recreating a real thing like the F-5E (or I guess F-20 since I only gave it one engine), is strangely alluring. My ultimate goal is to make superfighters from Ace Combat, in particular I'd like to make at least one of the two from Ace Combat 2 and maybe something from Electrosphere just to see if any of them would actually work under real physics.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 31, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Casualty posted:

I'd been debating for a while throwing the floor open to community contributions to updates like Sally did with Killzone. I was going to ask Kadorhal in particular if I could use some of his posts especially on the differences between the three Ace Styles which I don't necessarily focus on.

So yeah, if anyone wants to contribute anything just say so in the post (and what update it's in relation to) and I will gladly edit it in and credit you for it. Because I really don't want to see any potential effort from folks like Kadorhal, Aces Cure Planes, or Lunethex go to waste just because I started to do an Ace Combat LP first.

This even extends to videos, by the way. If anyone wants to do supplementary videos of challenges or whatever then I will happily include them in the posts and playlists because I'm most certainly not going to be touching a lot of that stuff and I'm certain there are a few folks here who are better at Ace Combat than I am, that's for sure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, for the curious, I found an up-to-date version of the "canon" Strangereal map that reflects both Ace Combat 6 and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy's updated to the world which the one in the OP doesn't:

The only major issue with it is that while USEA's political boundaries are all canon to what shows up in AHL, I take issue with the placement of Amber, Ugellas, and Delarus. Or someone at Project Aces really screwed the pooch when drawing up the boundaries of western USEA. Amber should be where Delarus is (because that's where the Amber mountain range is), Ugellas should be where the northern part of San Salvacion is (it's canonically stated to share a border with Erusea), and Delarus should be... somewhere (probably also on the Erusean border, but that's going into spoilers for themes coming up later in Zero :ssh:).

It's not as high-res as the one in the OP is, but all I know is that I'm going to have quite a field day picking USEA apart when we get to 2 and 4 because it is still a mess of grey area hot garbage even after PA's various retcons :getin:

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I forget if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but wasn't one of the Ridge Racer titles supposedly officially set in Strangereal? Was that just a silly joke, or was there something actually behind that claim? I recall one of the Japanese sub-sites for Ace Combat listing Ridge Racer underneath it's "world" link but I can no longer locate said page.

Good job on the LP of Zero and Electrosphere thus far, Crow and Lune.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I forget if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but wasn't one of the Ridge Racer titles supposedly officially set in Strangereal? Was that just a silly joke, or was there something actually behind that claim? I recall one of the Japanese sub-sites for Ace Combat listing Ridge Racer underneath it's "world" link but I can no longer locate said page.

The girl from Ridge Racer is a canon sister of Kei "Edge" Nagase from AC5, if I recall correctly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ElTipejoLoco posted:

The Casualty posted:

The girl from Ridge Racer is a canon sister of Kei "Edge" Nagase from AC5, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, one of Ridge Racer's main characters is a member of the Nagase family. She's actually the sister of Ace Combat 2 (/Assault Horizon Legacy/Cross Rumble)'s Kei Nagase, not Ace Combat 5's Kei Nagase, who is a completely different person despite looking just like her and having the same name :psyduck: Basically, Nagases are like the Officer Jennys and Nurse Joys of the Ace Combat world. There's a loving million of them all over the place and they're all functionally the same person.

Beyond that, there's mostly just little background details like advertisements for the various corporations of Strangereal showing up on tracks, or one race literally taking place in Expo City, the capital of USEA.

Here's the list of all the Ace Combat references in Ridge Racer, for the curious: http://acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/Ridge_Racer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, Namco has apparently said that the Ace Combat games lead into the United Galaxy Space Force universe of Galaga, Dig Dug, and other such games. Electrophere is the first entry on the official UGSF universe timeline. Feel free to take that whatever the hell way you want, but according to Namco, the Strangereal rabbit hole goes reeeeeeeeally loving deep.

Or just do what I do and consider Electrosphere non-canon :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Okay, Galaga I can understand, but DIG DUG?

Are you telling me the world of Strangereal has goddamn dragons underground and prehensile tubes that extend out to impale creatures and fill them with air until they explode?

:psyboom:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Shei-kun posted:

Okay, Galaga I can understand, but DIG DUG?

Are you telling me the world of Strangereal has goddamn dragons underground and prehensile tubes that extend out to impale creatures and fill them with air until they explode?

:psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOEr7kiysrE

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Also, for what it's worth, as someone who really doesn't get off on the real world plane analogies that AC riffs from, I at least find the information on this stuff semi-interesting?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:siren::siren:Mission 7: Operation Hell Bound:siren::siren:

Head's up folks, Mission 7 is online right now for you viewing enjoyment. The analysis post with all the :words: will be up later today as it's still only halfway finished at the time of this posting. I still need to get the footage for the Assault Records and do up the facts sheets for our featured aircraft, but once it is finished I will post the proper update as a new post.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like the idea of this mission, but it feels like it needs... more. You're pushing back into enemy territory in the counter-invasion, the Allies' seeming good intentions are starting to turn sinister, and you're attacking the not-Maginot Line's doom fortress on a dark and stormy night. That's a good recipe for an ominous and exciting mission, but a few clusters of AAA and SAMs feels underwhelming even if there are a few borrowed Nazi flak towers in the mix. Either the mission should have been far more tense or far more chaotic, I think, and probably end with a boss fight.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You sure about the bunkers requiring three missiles to kill and they just don't have a weakspot at the front as your bunker knockout at that point seemed very inconsistent with one of them requiring two and one requiring at least four.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Cooked Auto posted:

You sure about the bunkers requiring three missiles to kill and they just don't have a weakspot at the front as your bunker knockout at that point seemed very inconsistent with one of them requiring two and one requiring at least four.

I haven't played Zero as much as I should but I did go through 5 a billion times and the bunkers in there did had sweet spots but they worked like the AA tower on this mission: either you hit the opening or you did no damage. Maybe they were a bit more lenient on this game and decided that, even if you don't hit it perfect, you still do SOME damage?

On this topic, these bunkers are what the A-10's best suited for: they'll survive two missiles but that's when you bring in the bigass machine gun. Saving that extra missile really adds up on these long missions.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You make sad jokes mid-mission, crow. That helicopter had a family. :smith:

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Cythereal posted:

I like the idea of this mission, but it feels like it needs... more. You're pushing back into enemy territory in the counter-invasion, the Allies' seeming good intentions are starting to turn sinister, and you're attacking the not-Maginot Line's doom fortress on a dark and stormy night. That's a good recipe for an ominous and exciting mission, but a few clusters of AAA and SAMs feels underwhelming even if there are a few borrowed Nazi flak towers in the mix. Either the mission should have been far more tense or far more chaotic, I think, and probably end with a boss fight.

I think the real issue with this mission is that they went back into the AC04 book for creating missions.
Okay, here's a metric fuckton of targets you can't possibly destroy all on your own simply for the amount of ordnance that'd require, and a ton of NPC allies who do nothing except occasionally lob a missile at something. Okay, now here's a return line so you can return to base and resupply to kill more things. Alright then, now here's a minimum amount of points you have to score within half an hour to succeed. Go nuts.
What makes it worse is that, as crow noted, you can only get two or three of the areas the targets are focused in before you gain the points necessary to win. Not that bad a thing when the alternative is slowly slogging your way through all five, right? Except the first two you have to take out are set in stone - the targets in Areas B, C and D don't activate until you've taken out A and E. That means a supposedly wide and varied mission where getting actual variety requires artificially making the mission a chore to play by spreading out your destruction across the three areas instead of focusing on one then getting three or four targets in the next just to get it over with.

There's one more mission pretty much exactly like this later on, but even with the increased amount of points you need owing to how much further into the game it is, I find it much more tolerable simply because everything is pretty much in a straight line, and the amount of points you need versus the amount of points that are available are a bit closer to each other. It feels less like an AC04 mission where the game keeps treating you as just another pilot among a million despite the fact that you are repeatedly proving yourself two million times better than any of the others, and more like an AC5 mission where the game knows exactly how badass you are and is letting you go all-out to show it off.

Cooked Auto posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a weakpoint to pillboxes and the like. If there is, though, it's pretty well-hidden. Then again, I'm the guy who somehow brute-forced his way into making a ton of gun kills despite being too dumb to realize how the gun crosshair actually worked until his third playthrough, so it could actually be really obvious and I just never noticed it.

I'll have my own write-up about the Mirage and other stuff after crow gets all his :words: posted. I will say though thanks to Infinity I like the Mirage 2000 series, they're pretty cool. The 2000-5 in particular is a decent early-game multirole, was my mainstay for the first month or so until I was able to upgrade to the Strike Eagle.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 2, 2016

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Shinjobi posted:

You make sad jokes mid-mission, crow. That helicopter had a family. :smith:

Ohhh man, that is some DARK metahumor for the game to insert that line :drat:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Challenge: Do the next mission in the A-10 :)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
“Bastion”

Mission 7: Operation Hell Bound – May 17th, 1995

Overview: The Allied Forces push into Belkan Territory for the first time since the war’s outset. Though Belka has lost all of the territory it occupied since it launched its invasion, the Belkan government refuses to surrender and has vowed to halt the allied advance at the Hydrian Line, the centuries-old defense line Belka has maintained against both Osea and Sapin. With their air and ground facilities in Ustio back under allied control, Osea now has a proverbial knife to Belka’s throat.

With rumors that Belka may be preparing to unleash its nuclear arsenal against the allies, the Osean-led forces move against the mountain fortress of Glatistant atop Mt. Ivrea to disarm Belka’s main perimeter defense installation and open the way for AN IAEA nuclear inspectors to enter the country and secure any loose ballistic weaponry the Belkans may be hiding from the international community.

Cipher and Pixy have been assigned to the taskforce charged with bringing down Glatistant.

GLATISTANT

Also called the Questing Beast, or the Beast Glatistant. Glatistant was said to be a chimeric monster with the head of a snake, body of a leopard, legs of a lion, and feet of a deer. The arrival of Glatistant prefigures the death of Arthur and the fall of Camelot. Arthur glimpses it drinking from a lake shortly after he has sex with the sorceress Morgause, a union that later not only sires his bastard son and eventual murderer Mordred, but also proves to be incestuous as well, as Arthur later learns that Morgause is his half-sister (and the sister of Morgan le Fay to boot).

When Arthur describes the beast to Merlin, the old wizard recounts its history to him. Glatistant was born to a human princess who lusted after her brother and slept with a demon on the promise that the demon would then brainwash her brother into loving her back. Instead, the demon led her to accuse her brother of raping her, so their father sentenced the prince to be torn apart by his pack of war dogs. As he was being ripped apart by the hounds, the prince prophecies that his sister would bear a monstrous child that would howl with the sound of 30 hounds barking at once, the same hounds which dismembered him and ate him whole. And since then, Beast Glatistant was known as a creature born of lust, incest, lies, and chaos—just like Mordred would be.

Glatistant in the Aruthrian legends bears a striking resemblance to the Serpopard, a creature from mythological and cryptozoological studies originating from ancient Egyptian and Mesopotamian artwork, which depicted a being with the long neck of a serpent and the body of a leopard, hence the name Serpopard. It is believed by modern scholars that these were actually contemporary misinterpretations of descriptions of giraffes, which existed far beyond frontiers of the Egyptian empire even at its height.

And so with Glatistant representing the impending fall of a kingdom, and Belka now steeped in Arthurian iconography and semiotics, it should be easy to foretell the direction things are going to take from here on out in Ace Combat Zero. …As if calling the mission “Hell Bound” wasn’t enough of a hammer to the forehead.

For more information on Glatistant, DivineCoffeeBinge has graciously let me share his own write up on its deeper connections to the Arthurian mythos and even its more positive symbolic connotations within the legend vis-a-vis what's also happening in Zero itself:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Glatisant, for the record, is really cool in the Arthurian stories. King Pellinore of The Isles basically says one day "Welp, gonna go hunt Glatisant" and then fucks off to do that for the rest of his life, basically leaving his Kingdom entirely ungoverned; along the way he meets Arthur and becomes the most prominent Knight of the Round Table of early Camelot.

(Incidentally, by some interpretations, there are three main 'stages' of Arthur's reign that you can delineate by answering 'who is the most powerful and glorious of the Round Table Knights;' Pellinore is the first of these, followed by Gawaine and then Lancelot. Not entirely coincidentally, these phases also fairly clearly delineate 'what cultural source material are these stories being inspired by;' the early part of Arthur's reign is characterized by drawing heavily on Welsh folklore, while the Gawaine-centric 'middle years' derive from Anglo-Saxon folklore, and the Lancelot-heavy 'later years and decline' tales draw on French influence most heavily of all. Naturally it's actually way, way more complicated than that but it's a handy shorthand)

Anyways, in the post-Vulgate Suite du Merlin Glatisant is depicted as Crow describes, as a symbol of the Really Bad poo poo coming Camelot's way; this is the context in which it appears in Mallory's La Morte d'Arthur.

It's depicted differently in the Old French Perlesvaus, where its physical description is different and it's basically a Christ-symbol; it does bear noting that Perlesvaus is sometimes called "the least canonical Arthurian tale," since it's really different from a lot of the core canon, but hell, "canonicity" when it comes to Arthuriana is an even more elusive beast than Glatisant.

In the post-Vulgate's later sections and in the Prose Tristan Pellinore's quest to hunt Glatisant is taken up by the Saracen knight Sir Palomides; Palomides is also hopelessly in love with Tristran's love, Iseult. The quest for Glatisant and his love for Iseult are equally fruitless for poor Sir Palomides, but his conversion to Christianity allows him relief from his worldly concerns, and he is finally able to kill Glatisant during the Grail Quest, with the aid of Perceval and Galahad (two of the four knights who can be said, in various sources, to have achieved the Grail).

So, taken as a whole, the symbolism of Glatisant is traditionally read two ways - as a symbol of impending doom, or as a symbol of Christ and the quest for inner faith. The appearance of Glatisant Fortress in the game seems more consistent with the former, as pointed out by Crow, but there's something interesting, I think, about the idea of playing with the latter interpretation - that just as Pellinore was finally able to slay Glatisant upon his conversion, Cipher's attack on Glatisant occurs after his own fame begins to be on par with Pixy's; having ascended to the ranks of the figurative Knights of the Round Table, Cipher demonstrates his puissance by slaying the mighty Questing Beast. Given what's to occur, there's probably some really cynical inferences that could be made vis a vis Christ-allegories, but that's a question for another time...

THE HYDRIAN LINE

A twist of sorts on Hadrian’s Wall. Also known by names like “The Roman Wall”, Hadrian’s Wall was constructed after 122 AD across the narrowest point across the neck of the island of Brittan by the Roman Empire as a defensive barrier to keep the tribes of what is now Scotland out of the then Roman province of Britannia, and was later christened with the name of the emperor under whose watch the wall was built: Hadrian. When completed, the wall became, effectively, the northernmost boundary of the Roman Empire. Since then, the wall has fallen into disrepair, and many of the forts along it have since crumbled to their foundations, and what’s left of the wall now is kind of unimpressive. I mean, you can literally hop over certain sections of it now. Contrary to popular belief, the wall does not officially demark the England-Scotland border; it is actually 1 mile south of the official border and resides entirely in English territory, though it does effectively run parallel to the border.

So, how does this square with King Arthur? Weeeeell, this is Project Aces straying into pseudohistory once again. The Roman connection enters the picture through the 2004 movie King Arthur, starring mah boi Clive Owen, Kiera Knightly, and Ioan Gruffudd (as Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot, respectively) and directed by Antoine Fuqua. The film follows certain scholarly theories that suggest the 2nd / 3rd Century Roman military commander Lucius Artorius Castus served as the basis for the mythological King Arthur. The film cuts out the middleman and just straight up makes him King Arthur, and a large portion of the film takes place at or near Hadrian’s Wall and its various outposts.

I’m not going to go down that rabbit hole (personally I though the film was okay when I watched it, but that was like 10 years ago), but the key takeaway here is that someone at PA also watched it (it came out 2 years before Zero did, after all) and saw Arthur at Hadrian’s Wall and went “…sure, why not?”

As a piece of trivia of interest to practically no one, the game contains a slight booboo in Intel’s description of the Hydrian Line. In the briefing he says it stretches from Osea’s southern border to the border of Sapin, when it’s supposed to say that it stretches across Belka’s southern border with Osea. Having both Sapin and Ustio back under friendly control is a big boon for Osea tactically, as Belka’s southern frontier is now effectively fenced in, and Osea can use Ustio as a springboard to attack the Hydrian line from behind rather than face it head-on if they were to come at it from Osean territory itself.

V2

:ssh:

Mirage 2000D
Manufacturer: Dassault Aviation
Role: Tactical bomber
Manufactured: 1978-2007
Primary Operators: France, UAE, China, India
Quick Facts:
  • A highly mobile ground assault aircraft.
  • Unlocked early in game, but doesn’t really have a use until Glatistant.
  • The D in 2000D denotes its role as the bomber variant of the Mirage 2000 line.
  • It also denotes that it is the conventional weapons bomber variant. The Mirage 2000N was designed to be a nuclear munitions bomber.
  • Was designed to be a competitor fighter to the US F-16.
  • Has seen action in conflicts ranging from the Bosnia-Sarajevo war of 1995, to the still-raging at the time of this posting Mali Civil war in north Africa.

Appropriately named “Mirage,” this aircraft was developed for low altitude intrusion. Digital control of its large delta wing gives this fighter superb acceleration and immediate response during manuvers.

AMMO
Missiles: 64
UGB: 14
GPB: 10
XAGM: 14

EA-6B Prowler
Manufacturer: Northrop Grumman
Role: Electronic warfare / attack bomber
Manufactured: 1966-91
Status: In Service (Scheduled for complete retirement in 2019)
Primary Operators: United States
Quick Facts:
  • Much like the Warthog, it’s a sluggish brick of a plane.
  • One of the only planes in an Ace Combat game to seat 4 people.
  • One of the only planes in Zero to offer electronic interference special weapons.
  • Has primarily appeared as an enemy-only plane in prior Ace Combats.
  • Also appears in Ace Combat 5 as a playable plane.
  • Designed to support friendly aircraft in combat zones by disrupting enemy radar and communications with its onboard equipment.
  • It’s basically an anti-AWACS.
  • It also functions as a signal interception spy plane.
  • Is in the process of being replaced by the Boeing EA-18G Growler as the US military’s go-to electronic warfare plane.

This electronic warfare aircraft known as the “Prowler,” not only provides active radar jamming to protect its allies from enemy fire, but is also a formidable air-to-ground fighter.

AMMO
Missiles: 66
ECMP: 5
LAGM: 8
QAAM: 4

AV-8B Harrier Jumpjet
Manufacturer: Hawker Siddeley, Boeing, McDonnel Douglas, British Aerospace, BAE Systems
Role: VTOL strike aircraft
Manufactured: 1967-2003
Primary Operators: United States, United Kingdom, India
Quick Facts:
  • Appears through the Ace Combat franchise as an enemy-exclusive plane.
  • It has so far never been playable. Actually, it apparently is playable in Ace Combats Infinity and Assault Horizon (h/t: ACES CURE PLANES)
  • One of a select few planes capable of VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) and hovering.
  • Designed to operate from improvised frontline airbases such as forest clearings or parking lots, as well as from aircraft carriers.
  • It actually can’t perform VTOLs with its full operational weight, only STOLs (short take-off and landing).
  • Is intended to be replaced by the F-35B STOVL (short take-off, vertical landing) fighter, buuuuuut… the 35B’s vertical thrust actually runs so hot it tends to melt any surface it attempts to land on. Back to the drawing board, boys!
  • It’s also one of the few subsonic fighters still in operation.

AH-64 Apache
Manufacturer: Boeing (formerly McDonnel Douglas, and Hughes Helicopters before them)
Role: Attack helicopter
Manufactured: 1983-Present
Primary Operators: United States, Israel, Egypt, Netherlands
Quick Facts:
  • The USAF’s primary attack helicopter platform.
  • Has a swath of variants include a missileboat variant, and an electronic warfare variant.
  • Has seen the bulk of its military action in the Middle East, mostly in Iraq and Palestinian territory by the US and Israeli air forces, respectively.
  • Named after the Apache First Nations people of the American southwest.
  • The Boeing–Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche was designed with the intention of supplementing the Apache as an electronic support and target designator aircraft, but was cancelled after the chopper proved vulnerable to current-gen anti-aircraft weaponry and the upgrades that would have fixed this proved to be prohibitively expensive (h/t: radintorov).
  • The Apache becomes playable for the first time in an Ace Combat game in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.
  • And the missions where it shows up are terrible.

Bernd Linke
"Spuk"
30, Male, Belka
05.17.95 Operation Hell Bound - Killed In Action
F-117A Nighthawk
Difficulty: Any
Ace Style: Mercenary (Appears after all enemy units in Sector C are destroyed and the player scores 5000+ points)

As Captain of Spuk Squadron, he was assigned the duty of protecting the Hydrian Line. As experts at night fighting, his squadron formed an iron curtain that boasted protection for the front all through the night. He was shot down and killed at the battle of Glatisant.

Carsten Nowotny
"Vampir 1"
30, Male, Belka
05.17.95 Operation Hell Bound - Shot Down
F-20A Tigershark
Ace Style: Soldier (Appears after all enemy units in Sector C are destroyed and the player scores 5000+ points)

The name Carsten Nowotny does not appear in the Belkan Air Force's official registry. Considering statements taken from members of his former squadron, it is highly probable that the official records have been altered. Regarded as an extremely dangerous element, his whereabouts are being investigated.

Rudolph Seifert
"Vampir 2"
29, Male, Belka
F-20A Tigershark
Ace Style: Knight (Appears after all enemy units in Sector C are destroyed and the player scores 5000+ points)

After being shot down by Galm Flight, he received severe injuries and was inactive the rest of the war. However, shortly after the cease-fire, he stole an aircraft from the Belkan Air Base Schayne and escaped only to be shot down by the Allied Air Force. It is speculated that he may be trying to defect to another country.

Lola Sommer
"Iris"
28, Female, Belka
MiG-29A Fulcrum
Ace Style: Knight (Appears after all enemy units in Sector D are destroyed and the player scores 5000+ points)

A descendant of the Albrecht Imperial Knights. She was assigned to protect the Area Garden of the ruined fortress, Glatisant. She is currently married to a civilian in Dinsmark, and is now the mother of two children.

Bert Esser
"Mumie"
28, Male, Belka
Su-32 Strike Flanker* Special Paint Colour Unlocked
Difficulty: Ace
Ace Style: Any (Appears after all enemy units in Sector B are destroyed and the player scores 5000+ points)

The Commander of the 7th Air Division 65th Tactical Fighter Squadron. He is accredited with the destruction of Sapin 3rd Naval Fleet. His skill became the cornerstone of the anti-ship forces in the Belkan War. He was shot down during Operation Hell Bound.

Tracks featured in Mission 7.

DISC 1

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 25, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MadDogMike posted:

:agreed:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Was checking the OP because I need to catch up on a couple of videos and noticed this:

nine-gear crow posted:

Lunethex has graciously volunteered to LP the Japanese version of Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere for me. This mini-OP for his mini LP will be updated as he posts more videos, so watch this (air)space!

Welcome to Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere (JP)! There are multiple factions to side with over the course of 52 missions as you take part in and ultimately shape the fate of the Usean continent during the 2040 Strangereal Corporate War between General Resource LTD and Neucom, the two largest conglomerates in the world that have grown beyond the constraints of Government as a whole, each side dominating the economy and daily life to the point that the inevitable conflict arises! As I have not (nor can I right now) play the Western version of the game, I cannot really show you the big differences. However, I know of a few and will bring them up in posts as I get my episodes ready. Suffice it to say that a critical character was entirely removed and replaced with a "haywire AI" and all the anime scenes were nowhere to be found, making it just another arcade shooter in the vein of Air Combat & AC2. The Japanese version has a full-fledged and animated storyline cut almost entirely out of the Western release.

Ace Combat 3 is the fourth game in the series and takes place at the very end of the known Strangereal timeline in the years 2030-2040. It was built off a refined version of the AC2 engine, featuring realistic physics in all environments and prettier planes & environments. Its story being at the end of the Strangereal era shows us what awaits at the end of the rabbit hole, but fortunately, its ties to the series are limited for a very specific reason and the setting is more an analogue to those 90s Japanese sci-fis you'd watch late at night. It being only the second game in Strangereal helps a bit. The story has its light and dark moments and is definitely worth a watch. The first disc has been translated by Project Nemo, which I'll use to as much effect as possible, and I'll translate the rest myself with their script with overlaid subtitles. The game menu's "Search" info tidbits I will post as soon as I can figure out the particulars on it. Until the 'Faith Park Dispute' as seen in the first four videos, UPEO had not seen any real action

No spoilers!

Ace Combat 3 Introduction | (1:48) [POST]

UPEO Route

Hold on, there's a bunch of stuff distracting from the offending remark. Let me clean that up:

nine-gear crow posted:

Lunethex has graciously volunteered to LP the Japanese version of Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere for me. This mini-OP for his mini LP will be updated as he posts more videos, so watch this (air)space!

Hold on, I can do better:

nine-gear crow posted:

This mini-OP for his mini LP will be updated as he posts more videos, so watch this (air)space!

nine-gear crow posted:

so watch this (air)space!

nine-gear crow posted:

watch this (air)space!

:crossarms:

gently caress you, crow.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MadDogMike posted:

I never actually caught that when I played Zero, but I do think it's funny in hindsight.

Also, not using the A-10 for that last mission was just shameful. Hug the ground, go as slowly as you can, and use the gun. Actually it's literally been years since I played any of the Ace games, but I remember the gun on any of the planes as being relatively effective for quite a few targets. It doesn't seem to get used much in the videos, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Was checking the OP because I need to catch up on a couple of videos and noticed this:

Hold on, there's a bunch of stuff distracting from the offending remark. Let me clean that up:

Hold on, I can do better:

:crossarms:

gently caress you, crow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

nine-gear crow posted:

AH-64 Apache
  • The Apache becomes playable for the first time in an Ace Combat game in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.
  • And the missions where it shows up are terrible.

Excuse you. The Apache is obviously the ultimate offensive weapon of any kind, being capable of superior offensive power and maneuverability via, respectively, air jousting and its endlessly firing chaingun, high speed barrel rolls and nigh-perfect loops (while strafing!).

Assault Horizon is 100% legit:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 3, 2016

• Locked thread