Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

An adult with action figures is a weirdo, an adult with Legos is like a hobbyist or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you live near a Disney store, they have pretty decent die-cast models that are 4 inches across or so for $10.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you live near a Disney store, they have pretty decent die-cast models that are 4 inches across or so for $10.

Thanks this is what I was looking for.

And LEGO? That's for little kids.....

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
You can order those die cast things online from Disney too in case you're not anywhere near one.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

broken clock opsec posted:

You can order those die cast things online from Disney too in case you're not anywhere near one.

Yeah these look like slightly less high quality than the Bandai stuff but that works!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Did the old EU have any sort of ending or conclusion before it was canned, or was it just a million characters with dumb names crying out in agony and then suddenly silenced, etc.

I guess SWTOR is still ongoing as a weird holdout of the old EU...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Empress Theonora posted:

Did the old EU have any sort of ending or conclusion before it was canned, or was it just a million characters with dumb names crying out in agony and then suddenly silenced, etc.

Crucible was one of the last novels to come out under the old EU; it was originally intended to kick off another "chapter" of stories, but when word came down that they were gonna end it, Denning rewrote the last few chapters to emphasize the whole "this is the end for our big heroes, their children go on to have their own adventures off-screen(page)"

So...kinda yes and no there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

Crucible was supposed to wrap things up. Denning kind of hosed that up though, apparently not thinking they were entirely serious about it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Casimir Radon posted:

Denning kind of hosed that up.

It is amazing how many things in the old EU these words can cover.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is amazing how many things in the old EU these words can cover.

True, for all we rag on Traviss, Denning is terrible in his own special way. KJA at least was only dumb stupid, while Denning has written some really insulting stuff. (still the only occurrence of child molestation in the EU happened in his book)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'll take a hundred Sun Crushers than any of the horrors he inflicted at us to this day.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Empress Theonora posted:

A lot of the current Fantasy Flight Games RPG/X-Wing stuff pulls from the old EU too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ninjahedgehog posted:

A lot of the current Fantasy Flight Games RPG/X-Wing stuff pulls from the old EU too.

They pull from it; but they aren't making new stories.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So are old EU ship designs like the E-Wing and TIE Defender canon now? Because I loved the essential guide to vehicles and vessels.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gammatron 64 posted:

So are old EU ship designs like the E-Wing and TIE Defender canon now? Because I loved the essential guide to vehicles and vessels.

Have they been shown in any of the movies, or the Clone Wars and/or Rebels TV show, or any of the new novels published since Disney announced the split between Legends and new continuity?

If not, then no.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Strobe posted:

Have they been shown in any of the movies, or the Clone Wars and/or Rebels TV show, or any of the new novels published since Disney announced the split between Legends and new continuity?

If not, then no.

But screw them because the Tie Avenger is the sexiest starfighter in the galaxy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Interestingly the guy who did the illustrations for the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels came back to do ship design concept art for TFA.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Arcsquad12 posted:

But screw them because the Tie Avenger E-wing is the sexiest starfighter in the galaxy.

The Avenger is pretty sweet too, though.

Chairman Capone posted:

Interestingly the guy who did the illustrations for the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels came back to do ship design concept art for TFA.

I paged through the new cross-sections book at Barnes and Noble the other day, and man there were not a lot of ships in TFA at all. They really had to stretch to find enough ships to put in the book, like the quadjumper that gets blown up ten seconds after it appears and Leia's completely unremarkable dropship.

But Empire and Jedi each introduced a bunch of really cool ships so I'm excited for the sequels. I imagine Rogue One, being a spaceship-focused story, will add a bunch too.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 4, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

I paged through the new cross-sections book at Barnes and Noble the other day, and man there were not a lot of ships in TFA at all. They really had to stretch to find enough ships to put in the book, like the quadjumper that gets blown up ten seconds after it appears and Leia's completely unremarkable dropship.

I kind of wish they had included the various New Republic ships you just glimpse getting destroyed when the Starkiller fires.

ninjahedgehog posted:

But Empire and Jedi each introduced a bunch of really cool ships so I'm excited for the sequels. I imagine Rogue One, being a spaceship-focused story, will add a bunch too.

I actually don't think it's going to be spaceship focused. Everything we've seen so far from it seems to be a commando attack on a beach planet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
With a title like Rogue One, they're pretty well obligated to have at least one X-Wing sequence...but yeah, I'm not too hopeful for too many new ships. Maybe a new transport or freighter or something...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gareth Edwards is directing. Knowing him, we will get a scene of the Death Star powering its laser up for a live target test fire, only to cut away before the beam hits the planet and we see people watching the aftermath on the Holonet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gareth Edwards is directing. Knowing him, we will get a scene of the Death Star powering its laser up for a live target test fire, only to cut away before the beam hits the planet and we see people watching the aftermath on the Holonet.

Is this going to be the internet's new "JJ LOVES LENS FLARES LOLOL"?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this going to be the internet's new "JJ LOVES LENS FLARES LOLOL"?

Only if I run with it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I finally just finished reading Aftermath and Lost Stars.

Aftermath, in my opinion, was a little disappointing a hard to follow. I just didn't like the weird pacing and disjointed storytelling. I found myself reading to get to more Interludes and learn what actually happened to characters we actually cared about, or the social upheaval in the wake of the recently fallen Empire. Although the final few chapters at least tied everything up nicely and introduced some intriguing elements that might actually provide "clues to the Force Awakens!", as the marketing pitches on the dust jackets promised.

As for Lost Stars, it might be technically YA Romance, but it's actually an entertaining read and gives a lot of details on the new canon and how/why the Empire is the way it was, and the type of people that were left over after the battles of Endor and Jakku. I just found it to be the better book. This book actually did a much better job of providing context for the world of Star Wars leading into the new movie.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So it's come to my attention that Finn/Poe fanfic is already A Big Thing.

Do you think under Disney we'll see some gays in Star Wars ever, now that George "there are no gays in the Star Wars universe" Lucas isn't making the decisions? I mean I seriously doubt it would appear in any of the "main" series of movies in any capacity other than in the background, but could it ever play a part in some of the spinoff media (like Rebel One)? I mean, Karen Traviss may be batshit crazy, but I heard she actually wrote sympathetic gay Mandos into a story and made absolutely no big deal of it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

So it's come to my attention that Finn/Poe fanfic is already A Big Thing.

Do you think under Disney we'll see some gays in Star Wars ever, now that George "there are no gays in the Star Wars universe" Lucas isn't making the decisions? I mean I seriously doubt it would appear in any of the "main" series of movies in any capacity other than in the background, but could it ever play a part in some of the spinoff media (like Rebel One)? I mean, Karen Traviss may be batshit crazy, but I heard she actually wrote sympathetic gay Mandos into a story and made absolutely no big deal of it.

There was a gay main character in Aftermath, which was hyped as the big book to read between VI and VII.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I really, really wish TFA introduced more ship designs. There's barely any in it at all.

Also, it's kinda weird that Finn and Poe become so buddy buddy because Poe is the guy who shoots Finn's buddy and makes him freak out in the first place

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really, really wish TFA introduced more ship designs. There's barely any in it at all.

Also, it's kinda weird that Finn and Poe become so buddy buddy because Poe is the guy who shoots Finn's buddy and makes him freak out in the first place

Yeah but they have a TIE fighter bonding moment, and then Finn gets to ~*keep Poe's jacket*~ :kimchi:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Drone posted:

Yeah but they have a TIE fighter bonding moment, and then Finn gets to ~*keep Poe's jacket*~ :kimchi:

Yeah I don't mind it at all, I just think it's kind of ironic and amusing.

I think Finn probably didn't notice who shot his friend lol

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Insane Totoro posted:

And LEGO? That's for little kids.....

You shut your mouth you god drat liar.

edit: I totally forgot I have a wyldstyle av while typing that....

Keiya fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 4, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Poe's X-Wing sold out and new ones aren't due for about a month. I held off on buying it when it came out because I didn't know if I'd like the movie or not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jivjov posted:

There was a gay main character in Aftermath, which was hyped as the big book to read between VI and VII.

And TOR's new expansion - and yes I do think TOR matters as part of the Star Wars brand moving forward even if it's not really connected to the new movies and books - includes three bisexual love interests for PCs of either gender (two men, one woman), and a gay dude pops up in an in-game letter if you take a certain light side decision - the husband of a man you can choose to spare writes you to thank you for not killing him.

I don't know if we're likely to see a gay character in the movies, or for that matter in any Disney films, except by implication, but I hope I'm just being pessimistic.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ryloth's Moff in 'Lords of the Sith' is also a no-big-deal gay character

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Drone posted:

Did Lucas ever say that? I remember one of the guys involved in TOR said that and had to do a lot of backtracking, but I don't recall Lucas ever really having anything to say about gays in his universe. (He did originally really want Han to be married to a Wookiee, though.)

Traviss did write a gay Mandalorian couple but they're basically background characters and as I recall, you actually have to read two separate books to piece together they're gay because each one's gender is only specified in a different book. I remember a ton of her followers (given most of them are super right wing military fanatics) really freaking out about it, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Ryloth's Moff in 'Lords of the Sith' is also a no-big-deal gay character

Yeah, but I think there's a world of difference optics-wise between gay characters in Star Wars books and video games, and gay characters in Star Wars movies. Disney's pretty gay-friendly for a big corp bordering on entertainment megacorp, but I feel TFA was so squeaky clean and safe it hurt (fun movie, mind, and Rey was a great character especially for little girls), so I kind of doubt we'll see any explicitly gay characters in the movies.

On the other hand I completely buy Poe as gay and interested in Finn. Would certainly explain why Poe seems to like and trust Finn right away.

Chairman Capone posted:

Did Lucas ever say that? I remember one of the guys involved in TOR said that and had to do a lot of backtracking, but I don't recall Lucas ever really having anything to say about gays in his universe. (He did originally really want Han to be married to a Wookiee, though.)

Traviss did write a gay Mandalorian couple but they're basically background characters and as I recall, you actually have to read two separate books to piece together they're gay because each one's gender is only specified in a different book. I remember a ton of her followers (given most of them are super right wing military fanatics) really freaking out about it, though.

No, the "no gays in Star Wars" thing was written by a LucasArts dev about TOR in response to players upset that there were no gay or bisexual characters in the game at launch (except for one or two by implication). The actual post said that identities like gay or bisexual don't exist in Star Wars - you can like either or both gender and no one considers it a big deal or an identity, so no one would really think of themselves or describe themselves as such.

All of the bisexual romances in TOR never make mention of the PC's gender if you pursue them. They're attracted to you, and don't think it's worth commenting on if you're the same gender.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 4, 2016

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm kinda hoping for a love triangle between the main 3 with a highly confused Finn in the middle.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FishFood posted:

I'm kinda hoping for a love triangle between the main 3 with a highly confused Finn in the middle.
I'd feel bad for Poe. I think they're just destined to be really good buddies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd feel bad for Poe. I think they're just destined to be really good buddies.

They could be wingmen, hurr hurr hurr.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Finn is the Han of the new trilogy and Poe is the Leia, so,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

Finn is the Han of the new trilogy and Poe is the Leia, so,

The first casting call for Episode 8 was for a new female character to pair up with Finn, so I guess in keeping with this, the new version of Lando will be a woman. I remember Tatiana Maslany auditioned for it.