Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did it tell you anything useful?

I'm kinda thinking about doing one just because I think it would be interesting; my family is from a place that lots of different people lived in over history. I've heard they aren't that good if you're not a Western European though so I'm not sure if it's worth it just to learn that 100% of my DNA is from E. Europe or something dumb like that - they're kinda expensive!

Worth it or nah? I'm from Bulgaria so I want to see how much of me is Slav/Mongol/Turkish/Whatever. Maybe there's even some Norse in there? A lot of Scandinavians ended up in Constantinople back when the Byzantine Empire was still kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Your ancestry is full of my DNA I already know this

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes it said that I was gay.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
Did it with 23andme. Also had some relatives done as well. Found out my dad is in the 99th percentile for Neanderthal ancestry and that my gran is a carrier for cystic fibrosis. Oh, and I have an elevated risk of colon cancer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fairly passive posted:

Did it with 23andme. Also had some relatives done as well. Found out my dad is in the 99th percentile for Neanderthal ancestry and that my gran is a carrier for cystic fibrosis. Oh, and I have an elevated risk of colon cancer.

Do you feel like it was worth it? Did it provide a decent breakdown of your DNA or was it just kind of like '50% European, 40% Asian' or whatever?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
yes op i have.... they included a pistol and a single bullet with the results

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Your ancestry is full of my DNA

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I did and now I am being indicted on over 200 cold cases

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
since im from all over hte world id be intereted in it but i dont want to pay for it . will someone pay please

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
like seriously I really, really really want one done and ill post the results here it'll be nuts like from 9 pie charts

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

For real though how do they know how far back to go? Like shouldn't all these things say "somewhere in Africa 300000 years ago"

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
yeah, turns out I'm actually white

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i love my dead gay ancestors

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

it said im descended from jesus

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
some shady looking guy in the alley behind the 7-11 said he could do this for me

i feel like the way he got my dna was very unprofessional and i still havent seen my results :confused:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I did it said I'm 1/16th Cherokee.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Have any Sicilians done it? I must know the results!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Have any Sicilians done it? I must know the results!

Prognosis: Black.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

lol I just googled the DNA test and the advertised results were all local divorce lawyers

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my mom got one for my 90-something year old grandfather who subsequently refused to believe that he is 3% jewish

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Goatfather posted:

my mom got one for my 90-something year old grandfather who subsequently refused to believe that he is 3% jewish

There's a pretty hilarious post on one of the official forums for these ancestry tests that's like some Jewish girl finding out she has some Palestinian in her and freaking out about it; I'll see if I can find it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I just sent off the Natgeo one yesterday so in 10 weeks I will know just what manner of honky I am.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The Goatfather posted:

best possible outcome

to contribute, have had some relatives do it for themselves and share the results. If you want to feel like you're more multicultural than you or others would actually perceive you to be, it's great

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard these tests described as nothing more than 'genealogical atrology' though, because given that they only test the Y chromosome or the mitochondrial DNA by the time you get back a few generations (say to your great great grandparents) you're only looking at that 1 chromosome and not the other like 15 great great grandparents that are also in your bloodline - if I'm understanding correctly.

Then again it seems like that's more applicable to people trying to figure out if they are related to a specific historical figure (like Genghis Khan or some British king) and I don't really care about that. I just want to know what kind of mutt I am.

Tendai posted:

I just sent off the Natgeo one yesterday so in 10 weeks I will know just what manner of honky I am.

I've heard this is the most 'scientific' one (whatever that means), fwiw. It also gets more accurate depending on the number of participants (and thus DNA samples they have) and you can check back over the course of your lifetime to see if the data has improved, right?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

VendaGoat posted:

I did and now I am being indicted on over 200 cold cases

lmao yeah

They'll share your DNA with Police without a warrant, probably for cold case evidence trawling, and of course false matches are accepted on face value (no takebacks) by courts all over the US because the law always wins goddammit

everyone ITT just increased their chances of going to jail. lol

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I've been involved in direct-to-consumer genetic testing for about 6 years now and can answer all your your questions! Or I could, if I had more time. I'll try to hit some major points, but a lot of the answers to your questions require lengthy, somewhat technical explanations.

First, there are 4 major players: 23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA, National Geographic and Ancestry.com. Do not be fooled, there is a company called "AncestrybyDNA" and they are NOT the same thing as Ancestry.com. AncestrybyDNA is a total scam, their results are complete junk, and they're in the process of being sued by Ancestry.com. Do not use them and do not think that they're the same as Ancestry.com.

What you said about only testing the Y chromosome or the mitochondrial DNA is untrue. All four of the listed companies test autosomal DNA, which comes from all your chromosomes. FamilyTreeDNA has two separate products which will test ONLY the Y or ONLY the mitochondria, but their "FamilyFinder" test is autosomal.

Here is a chart from the International Society of Genetic Genealogists comparing the 4 tests:
http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart

More later, as I have time.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Mnemosyne posted:

I've been involved in direct-to-consumer genetic testing for about 6 years now and can answer all your your questions! Or I could, if I had more time. I'll try to hit some major points, but a lot of the answers to your questions require lengthy, somewhat technical explanations.

In the ad for 23 and me they make it seem like this would be a good way to get an idea of your family's medical history. Do they actually provide enough information to be useful?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twofive1 posted:

In the ad for 23 and me they make it seem like this would be a good way to get an idea of your family's medical history. Do they actually provide enough information to be useful?

The FDA made them stop offering almost all of the medical stuff but you can load the data into Promethease for like $5 and get the same stuff basically.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
the whole dna as evidence thing gets even better when i remember that 23andme were offering large discounts to black people

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I did and it turns out this 'cuck' stuff is a lot older than I imagined

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
The tests are really best used to augment traditional genealogy, where you have an already-researched family tree, and you use the DNA to help prove that it's correct, and figure out which bits of your DNA came from which ancestors (and eventually, hopefully reconstruct at least part of the genome of those ancestors.) It's also useful for people who are adopted, donor-conceived, of unknown paternity or any other situation where you don't know who your bio family is. Adopted people can use these tests to find their bio family. It's not always immediate; it can take several years of waiting for a good, solid match to appear, and it can also take a lot of detective work to figure it out if you don't have any really close matches.

The tests do all give ethnicity estimates, but they're just that: estimates. They're a work in progress, and they get better as time goes by and more people are tested. Each of the companies has their own algorithms for computing ethnicity, and they're all pretty different. Honestly, 23andMe's ethnicity prediction is the best by a long shot, but most non-genealogists find those results to be not what they were hoping for.

The real problem is people's lack of realistic understanding about it. I hear a lot of people say "well, I want it to tell me what town in what country my family is from." Each person has two parents, and they have two parents. That means we all have 4 grandparents, and 8 great-grandparents. It is highly, highly unlikely that all 8 of your great-grandparents were from the same area. Now go back a few more generations: 16 great-great-grandparents, 32 great-great-great-grandparents, 64 great-great-great-great-grandparents, 128 great-great-great-great-great-grandparents. Definitely not all from the same little town somewhere.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mnemosyne posted:

The tests are really best used to augment traditional genealogy, where you have an already-researched family tree, and you use the DNA to help prove that it's correct, and figure out which bits of your DNA came from which ancestors (and eventually, hopefully reconstruct at least part of the genome of those ancestors.) It's also useful for people who are adopted, donor-conceived, of unknown paternity or any other situation where you don't know who your bio family is. Adopted people can use these tests to find their bio family. It's not always immediate; it can take several years of waiting for a good, solid match to appear, and it can also take a lot of detective work to figure it out if you don't have any really close matches.

The tests do all give ethnicity estimates, but they're just that: estimates. They're a work in progress, and they get better as time goes by and more people are tested. Each of the companies has their own algorithms for computing ethnicity, and they're all pretty different. Honestly, 23andMe's ethnicity prediction is the best by a long shot, but most non-genealogists find those results to be not what they were hoping for.

The real problem is people's lack of realistic understanding about it. I hear a lot of people say "well, I want it to tell me what town in what country my family is from." Each person has two parents, and they have two parents. That means we all have 4 grandparents, and 8 great-grandparents. It is highly, highly unlikely that all 8 of your great-grandparents were from the same area. Now go back a few more generations: 16 great-great-grandparents, 32 great-great-great-grandparents, 64 great-great-great-great-grandparents, 128 great-great-great-great-great-grandparents. Definitely not all from the same little town somewhere.

same

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

lmao yeah

They'll share your DNA with Police without a warrant, probably for cold case evidence trawling, and of course false matches are accepted on face value (no takebacks) by courts all over the US because the law always wins goddammit

everyone ITT just increased their chances of going to jail. lol

See this is why I made this thread! Makes me not wanna do it lol not because I've murdered anyone but just because wtf is that? $200 for the privilege of snitching on myself?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

did one of these and found out jon pop was my father and genesplicer was my maternal grandfather. kinda pissed. would not recommend

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I don't need no fancy test to tell me I'm of the mongrel race

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mnemosyne posted:

First, there are 4 major players: 23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA, National Geographic and Ancestry.com. Do not be fooled, there is a company called "AncestrybyDNA" and they are NOT the same thing as Ancestry.com. AncestrybyDNA is a total scam, their results are complete junk, and they're in the process of being sued by Ancestry.com. Do not use them and do not think that they're the same as Ancestry.com.

What you said about only testing the Y chromosome or the mitochondrial DNA is untrue. All four of the listed companies test autosomal DNA, which comes from all your chromosomes. FamilyTreeDNA has two separate products which will test ONLY the Y or ONLY the mitochondria, but their "FamilyFinder" test is autosomal.

Here is a chart from the International Society of Genetic Genealogists comparing the 4 tests:
http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart

More later, as I have time.

In a nutshell, my family is from Bulgaria. A region that has been highly contested throughout European history and conquered by many different groups of people in addition to being a region where lots of travel passed through (whether for trade or Scandinavians joining the Varangian Guard or whatever). Turks, Slavs, Mongols, Greeks, etc.

Can the test spit out a result like "10% Mongol/Asian, 30% Bulgar, 1% Nordic, etc." or will it look more like '80% Balkan, 20% Bulgar?' I'm mostly just wary about spending $200 and getting a vague answer that doesn't really teach me anything useful.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

a starwar betamax posted:

yes op i have.... they included a pistol and a single bullet with the results

maybe your grandpappy was an olde west trick shooter

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I would do it but only if they offer a refund if everything I was told about my bloodline is a lie so I can drink krupnik or whatever alcohol belongs to my newfound culture

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Moridin920 posted:

Can the test spit out a result like "10% Mongol/Asian, 30% Bulgar, 1% Nordic, etc." or will it look more like '80% Balkan, 20% Bulgar?'

yes

Moridin920 posted:

I'm mostly just wary about spending $200 and getting a vague answer that doesn't really teach me anything useful.

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

twofive1 posted:

This would be good to know, also.

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't expect anything nearly that granular, nor do I particularly care if I'm related to some famous historical figure like Genghis Khan or whatever. I just kinda wanna get a better sense of what cultures are part of my history if that makes sense.

Ancestry/genealogy wise I'm kinda screwed because being from E. Europe the records are not nearly as complete or preserved as those in W. Europe are. My gf can trace her family back hundreds of years and I can go back like a generation, maybe. A lot of poo poo was lost in the formation of the USSR and also the collapse.

Hmm... but see how it gives more detail for W. Europe and for E. Europe it just goes 'X% Eastern Europe.' Is that because they don't have very much E. European in them so it's not worth spelling it out farther than that or is that because they just don't have a ton of info about E. Europe versus W. Europe?

Because if it just tells me 95% Eastern European that won't be helpful at all really.

I mean that's still interesting but idk if it's worth the expense.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 4, 2016

• Locked thread