Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

Do people hate on them? I always enjoyed there side projects they did. But I also wasn't a hardcore loyal watcher of the show.

I loathed them. Their dialog was written by a robot alien who saw a high school play and thought that's how humans talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Was that human feces he was using in the rocket?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

haveblue posted:

Some people thought their banter was really forced and annoying, I never minded them that much.

It wasn't too bad in the early goings but in the final years it was just ridiculous.

:j: Guess what, guys. I just read about this crazy story, where a guy managed to actually shoot himself into the air, by a whole fifteen feet, with nothing but a dildo and a model rocket engine.

:2bong: You know, that's crazy, I was just getting ready to launch a model rocket later this week, and I just so happen to have a dildo!

:shrug: Should we head to the lab and start thinking of some tests?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, but who on earth watches Mythbusters for the pre-test setup banter?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

Probably the same people who watch gold rush for the hope of them making it big.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

haveblue posted:

Some people thought their banter was really forced and annoying, I never minded them that much.

It got worse as the years went on. It seemed natural at first.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The problem was they were three Adams without a Jaime.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

MisterBibs posted:

I like the unspoken narrative that they cut those guys in an attempt to shake up the show/return to its roots/improve ratings, but it didn't work and the show was killed regardless.
The show has never been struggling in ratings due to poor production choices, Adam & Jamie simply decided to end it to do other less annoying things

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

It got worse as the years went on. It seemed natural at first.

Ya i vaguely remember them acting really dumb when presenting a new idea. Like it wasn't casual at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thexerox123 posted:

Anyone who cared about what they were doing, why, and how. Which was the whole point of the show...? The B Team got shafted with the even shittier "myths" the producers could come up with, and got scripted like they were shaved apes with the power of speech but that doesn't excuse how horrible they were.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Don't forget that CBS is working on a procedural drama based on Adam and Jamie:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-mythbusters-cia-drama-816440

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

CBS is literally pitching 'FX' without realizing it. The movie from 1986, with a sequel in 1991, and then a syndication television series in the 90s. lol

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

quote:

The untitled drama, which has received a script commitment from the network, revolves around two Hollywood special effects artists who are recruited by the CIA to complete seemingly impossible covert ops missions by creatively using the most basic tools from their craft.
More like "literally pitching MacGuyver and/or Mission Impossible".

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I liked Grant and Kari more than Adam & Jamie. Come at me, thread.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The show has never been struggling in ratings due to poor production choices, Adam & Jamie simply decided to end it to do other less annoying things

It wasn't Adam and Jamie's decision to end the show.

Plus, you don't can three hosts and rejigger the show if the ratings aren't going soft to some degree.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The build team was easily the worst part of the show that did stupid poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The worst part was when Kari and Tory had to make an appearance on the child molester's show.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

howe_sam posted:

The worst part was when Kari and Tory had to make an appearance on the child molester's show.

That was one time and Jamie was really sorry

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, what show are you talking about?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sons of Guns. I mean the episode they appeared on was fine, but given what we eventually learned about Will Hayden, the whole thing is retroactively icky.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sons of Guns was awful. This is a bracelet I made for my daughter.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Tenzarin posted:

Sons of Guns was awful. This is a bracelet I made for my daughter.
it's not as if the child molestation charges were needed to classify those abhorrent pieces of poo poo, lol

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

MisterBibs posted:

It wasn't Adam and Jamie's decision to end the show.

Plus, you don't can three hosts and rejigger the show if the ratings aren't going soft to some degree.
Mythbusters was one of the shows I can see ratings remaining stable and yet not being profitable because of costs. Insurance probably skyrocketed especially since they nearly killed people numerous times.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MadScientistWorking posted:

Mythbusters was one of the shows I can see ratings remaining stable and yet not being profitable because of costs. Insurance probably skyrocketed especially since they nearly killed people numerous times.

I never thought of it that way. Getting rid of the team that put a cannonball through someone's house makes a lot more sense in that context.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Is this thread for the History channel too? I couldn't find a history channel thread.

They changed American Restoration to something that doesn't involve Rick Dale and it makes me sad :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ross Angeles posted:

They changed American Restoration to something that doesn't involve Rick Dale and it makes me sad :(

I had to google the show to make sure I wasn't having a brain fart and was remembering the wrong title.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was disappointed by the latest MythBusters episode. I mean, they didn't even bother to explode an actual landmine just for demonstration purposes. And I'm trying to think of other explosive devices that they won't get to play with after the show ends and I really can't think of any.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

anotherone posted:

Don't forget that CBS is working on a procedural drama based on Adam and Jamie:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-mythbusters-cia-drama-816440

This just confirms my suspicions that Jamie worked for the CIA.

I knew all this stuff already:

quote:

Hyneman is a special effects expert with a degree in Russian linguistics who has worked as a certified dive master, wilderness survival expert, boat captain, linguist, animal wrangler and chef.

But a TV show "based on their lives" that makes them CIA agents? A little on the nose, there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So this gold rush episode someone leaves parker's team just because he didnt shake someones hand? what is happening on this show?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Parker is a dumb kid and bad manager.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Man, I really wanted that cement truck trick to work. That misfire was the biggest sense of false hope generated by an experiment that I can recall.

The hovercraft discovery was super interesting, that's a good chance that's the first time traversing a minefield scenario with one has ever been attempted

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Have we heard anything about what Jake Harris from Deadliest Catch is doing these days?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ross Angeles posted:

Have we heard anything about what Jake Harris from Deadliest Catch is doing these days?

Probably Xanax and Percoset

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Man, I really wanted that cement truck trick to work. That misfire was the biggest sense of false hope generated by an experiment that I can recall.

I know the myth they were testing was if the cement would stop the full blast of the explosion, but they seemed to actually prove that flooding rigged explosives with wet cement will probably deactivate/ruin most of the explosives. So technically MacGuyver was right, just not in the way it seemed to be implying in the episode (i.e. that the cement itself would contain the blast).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also, it seemed like the final setup with the box around the explosives just made sure there was no concrete under the dynamite, and not much over it. And the explosion made that pretty clear, since it went up and down for the most part.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

King Vidiot posted:

I know the myth they were testing was if the cement would stop the full blast of the explosion, but they seemed to actually prove that flooding rigged explosives with wet cement will probably deactivate/ruin most of the explosives. So technically MacGuyver was right, just not in the way it seemed to be implying in the episode (i.e. that the cement itself would contain the blast).
That's fair to say. Means to an end, really

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This implosion poo poo on Mythbusters is loving awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is a weird move.

Kind of weird that they've gone this long and not mentioned that Youtube/animated gif of this very thing happening.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Holy poo poo, that final crush :dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

This is a weird move.

Kind of weird that they've gone this long and not mentioned that Youtube/animated gif of this very thing happening.

Yeah, I also instantly called bullshit on Adam saying it had never been filmed. Although now I wonder how that other video was made since it was so much harder than they expected.

• Locked thread