Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If anybody finds themselves flying around Thailand, I highly recommend Bangkok Airways. Their service has been through the roof. IFE and full meal service (that's actually good) for any flight regardless of length. Also, complimentary lounge with light snacks and drinks. A++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

O'Hare might well be a mess tomorrow, between the weather and the holiday travel. I decided I'd try to get ahead of things by booking standby on an earlier flight.

Here is my original flight:

Here is my standby flight:

Couple questions:
1) My AA app shows that I'm cleared on the CMI-ORD segment (AA3429), but I can't even access the standby list for the ORD-LAS segment (AA2470). When might I find out if I've cleared that second segment?

2) If I don't find out about the second segment before boarding the first one, am I able to take myself off the standby list and return to my original itinerary? I'd hate to have paid $75 for the privilege of waiting around O'Hare for 8 hours.

Thanks!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

2) If I don't find out about the second segment before boarding the first one, am I able to take myself off the standby list and return to my original itinerary? I'd hate to have paid $75 for the privilege of waiting around O'Hare for 8 hours.
The system won't allow them (without an override) to charge you the $75 without clearing you to your final destination.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I didn't get cleared all the way through in Champaign but I took a risk and got cleared at O'Hare :peanut:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

pig slut lisa posted:

I didn't get cleared all the way through in Champaign but I took a risk and got cleared at O'Hare :peanut:

Nice. Being done with travel early on days like today is a significant win.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I have a return flight from JFK to SIN on Jan 1 on Air China. I booked it from Singapore way back in September because a two week trip to the US for less than $800US was too good to pass up. The trip here was decent enough I guess, but I was never able to choose my seat for the JFK to Beijing portion of my return trip. When I go on the website to choose it, it still shows that all seats are full. Should I be worried that I won't be able to actually get on that flight?
Thanks.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Shnicker posted:

I have a return flight from JFK to SIN on Jan 1 on Air China. I booked it from Singapore way back in September because a two week trip to the US for less than $800US was too good to pass up. The trip here was decent enough I guess, but I was never able to choose my seat for the JFK to Beijing portion of my return trip. When I go on the website to choose it, it still shows that all seats are full. Should I be worried that I won't be able to actually get on that flight?
Thanks.

Many/most airlines do block off seats for advance assignment: some for elites, some for handicap access (bulkhead) or for an extra fee for seats like exit row. Generally these open up at check-in, sometimes until actually at the gate if it involves an actual nicer seat where someone needs to get bumped up to premium economy or business class to accommodate all the passengers.

A quick check on Experflyer of all the Air China flights JFK-PEK-SIN on Jan 1 shows all of them have at least 9 seats for sale in economy, so I think you'll be good. I suspect you may be able to get a seat assigned if you call in since it seems unlikely that many seats are blocked.

Fake edit: you're on CA982? This is kind of crazy; lots of seats unoccupied, but all are marked as reserved for premium.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

fordan posted:

Many/most airlines do block off seats for advance assignment: some for elites, some for handicap access (bulkhead) or for an extra fee for seats like exit row. Generally these open up at check-in, sometimes until actually at the gate if it involves an actual nicer seat where someone needs to get bumped up to premium economy or business class to accommodate all the passengers.

A quick check on Experflyer of all the Air China flights JFK-PEK-SIN on Jan 1 shows all of them have at least 9 seats for sale in economy, so I think you'll be good. I suspect you may be able to get a seat assigned if you call in since it seems unlikely that many seats are blocked.

Fake edit: you're on CA982? This is kind of crazy; lots of seats unoccupied, but all are marked as reserved for premium.

Thanks for that, that's a relief to know. I will be on CA982. Bizarre to see all the seats are marked premium but now that I think about it, on my flight to JFK from Beijing two weeks ago I sat next to a professor from SUNY stony Brook. He said that he'd paid for a premium economy seat but got assigned a regular economy seat. Don't know what kind of shady stuff Air China is pulling, but I think I did OK with a $775 roundtrip ticket from Singapore to New York for Xmas and New Years.
Thanks again.. I'll be using that website in the future myself.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The "Premium" Expertflyer is using basically means "elites" or people who have achieved higher status in the airline's frequent flyer program. I didn't see a seat listing for a "Premium Economy" which is usually a bit larger seat and slightly better service than Economy but not as good as Business class.

E: just checked on Air China's site and the flight does have a premium economy with more legroom but same width seat, just Expertflyer can't pull up the seat map for it for whatever reason.

fordan fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 28, 2015

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Anyone have access to Turkish flight loads for this month? I'm thinking of buying a positive space ticket home from CTA (to BOS) but the flights are cheap enough that I suspect they're not that full. I'll just go standby if that's the case, but I'm not getting any bites in the non-rev loads facebook groups I usually ask.

Flights are on January 27th:

TK1394 CTA - IST
TK81 IST - BOS

I wanna lock it in for <400 if I have to but I always feel dumb when I do that and then watch all the non-revs get business while I'm stuck in a half-empty economy in a middle seat :P

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

fordan posted:

The "Premium" Expertflyer is using basically means "elites" or people who have achieved higher status in the airline's frequent flyer program. I didn't see a seat listing for a "Premium Economy" which is usually a bit larger seat and slightly better service than Economy but not as good as Business class.

E: just checked on Air China's site and the flight does have a premium economy with more legroom but same width seat, just Expertflyer can't pull up the seat map for it for whatever reason.

I was actually bumped up to Premium Economy for the 13 hour flight, which was a godsend. Overall, however, Air China was a pretty negative experience - from not allowing phones even in flight mode (which was pretty important after spending 40 hours in their planes in 3 weeks and watching all of their English entertainment multiple times) to the awful airport in Beijing to the terrible food even by airline standards. Next time I would gladly pay a few extra hundred dollars not to fly with them.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I flew Air China once and vowed to swim across the Pacific dragging my luggage behind me rather than fly with them again.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm trying to book award travel for Thanksgiving 2016. I see two Economy MileSAAver awards available on AA4234 on Wednesday, 11/23:

However, British Airways is not seeing the award seats for that flight:

What gives? I'd much rather book with Avios than with AAdvantage miles. Is this a case of website error on BA's part (in which case I presume I could call in to book), or is BA blocking some AA domestic seats now?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I'm planning on flying from Chicago to DC in February for Magfest at the Gaylord Resort Hotel in National Harbor, MD from 2/18/-2/21 and I think I might have already screwed up.

The ideal would be MDW <-> DCA since MDW is less hassle than ORD and DCA is very close to the venue. I was periodically checking Southwest fares until I got to about the 8-6 week away mark and prices have gone up from $198 round trip to about $278. Prices don't seem to be going down, though. Should I wait or begin thinking of alternate arrangements? I can deal with having to use ORD and/or BWI/IAD instead, but right now the prices are only marginally better. I could even bookend my trip with seeing some family/friends if I wanted to. I guess I just think I screwed up a perfectly hassle free MDW <-> DCA flight at a good price by waiting too long.

I occasionally see links for fare deals offered by Southwest, but they almost never seem to include MDW or DCA as options. Not sure if I should just keep waiting or just suck it up and book now.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tip for getting cheap airfare in Ethiopia:

Domestic flights will always be more expensive booked online than booked at offices in Ethiopia. Flights will be even cheaper if you arrived in Ethiopia with an international flight on Ethiopian Airlines (like up to 50% cheaper). If you didn't, don't fret - just book a refundable (or non-refundable if you want) international flight into or possibly out of Ethiopia, and quote the booking reference or ticket number when making bookings.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Tatsujin posted:

I'm planning on flying from Chicago to DC in February for Magfest at the Gaylord Resort Hotel in National Harbor, MD from 2/18/-2/21 and I think I might have already screwed up.

The ideal would be MDW <-> DCA since MDW is less hassle than ORD and DCA is very close to the venue. I was periodically checking Southwest fares until I got to about the 8-6 week away mark and prices have gone up from $198 round trip to about $278. Prices don't seem to be going down, though. Should I wait or begin thinking of alternate arrangements? I can deal with having to use ORD and/or BWI/IAD instead, but right now the prices are only marginally better. I could even bookend my trip with seeing some family/friends if I wanted to. I guess I just think I screwed up a perfectly hassle free MDW <-> DCA flight at a good price by waiting too long.

I occasionally see links for fare deals offered by Southwest, but they almost never seem to include MDW or DCA as options. Not sure if I should just keep waiting or just suck it up and book now.

If the savings are there, BWI is a realistic (if inconvenient) option. The train can get you to Union Station and from there you can get anywhere on the metro system.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Google maps is being really slow, but it could be faster/cheaper from BWI to take the shuttle that goes to the end of the Red Line and take that close enough to the hotel, rather than take Amtrak all the way into Union Station to go back out again.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nah you don't need to waste time/money with Amtrak, the MARC runs through BWI and you can hop off at greenbelt which will put you on the green line into PG County or New Carrolton if you take the penn line.

Or if you want to be lazy, the Gaylord runs a shuttle from BWI for$33 round trip.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Any OSO/IROPS/IRROPS experts in here?

I posted this on FlyerTalk but didn't get a reply. Should I try to petition AA for more than $300 compensation? And was it true that they can't book me on any of the numerous Jet Blue openings because they 'don't have a relationship with them'?

==========

It seems like I've got really bad luck. My flights have been canceled (two in a row now) and my only options they're giving me are to continue to wait more days. They offered a measly $300 voucher and said that's all they could do.

Any sense of how hard it would be to be reimbursed through corporate for any of the following:
* Cab fair to much further airport?
* Additional reimbursement for canceling and rebooking on non partner airline (Jet Blue can get me home today, plenty of options)
* Higher than $300 voucher for making me 3 days late to my destination?

I'd hate to make some extreme changes just to get home and if there is no chance of me getting reimbursed, and I figure the experts could weigh in here.

More details:

original flight was PBI -> DCA arriving 1/1 @10pm. This was canceled - mechanical.
rebooked on PBI -> DCA arriving 1/2 @ 7am. This was canceled - mechanical.
rebooked on MIA -> DCA arriving 1/3 @ 11pm. *crossing my fingers on this one*

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I don't know a thing about IRROPS policy, but holy poo poo that's some lovely luck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dexter6 posted:

I posted this on FlyerTalk but didn't get a reply. Should I try to petition AA for more than $300 compensation? And was it true that they can't book me on any of the numerous Jet Blue openings because they 'don't have a relationship with them'?

==========

It seems like I've got really bad luck. My flights have been canceled (two in a row now) and my only options they're giving me are to continue to wait more days. They offered a measly $300 voucher and said that's all they could do.

Any sense of how hard it would be to be reimbursed through corporate for any of the following:
* Additional reimbursement for canceling and rebooking on non partner airline (Jet Blue can get me home today, plenty of options)

I'd hate to make some extreme changes just to get home and if there is no chance of me getting reimbursed, and I figure the experts could weigh in here.

More details:

original flight was PBI -> DCA arriving 1/1 @10pm. This was canceled - mechanical.

It's a long-shot, but check your credit card policies. Some credit cards offer travel insurance to cover additional costs from issues like this, provided you used the credit card to book the tickets.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've only flown JetBlue, are there any other comparable airlines? How's Southwest now a days

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
Southwest is great, but probably because they take the majority of flights in/out at Midway and Midway is a million times better than O'Hare, the free carry-on and checked bags are a plus, too.

My only gripe is that they won't index on ITA/Google Flights and they separate their fares instead of tallying it up for a round-trip

Speaking of, looks they started up another sale for fares Jan-Mar, looks like I can fly to DC for $198 after all. I can even bookend and fly from Midway into Dulles, see my dad in Jefferson County, WV, go to Magfest, see my cousin in Downtown DC and fly back to Midway from Reagan.

It's fairly trivial to book separate one way tickets for domestic flights, correct? Just buy one ticket, and then the other?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dexter6 posted:

==========

More details:

$300 does seem a tad low for a multi-day delay that was not weather related. They'll almost never pay for ground transport so I'd forget that one; were it I and there were options from PBI or FLL, I'd happily pay for a one-way car rental and take a different flight. Any compensation is going to come from AA customer service well after your travel is complete so don't expect that from the front line employees at the airport or the reservations call center.

Anywho, you should ask to pushed OAL (other airline). On the topic of OAL, it is true that AA cannot push you to B6 (JetBlue) because they do not have an interline agreement. JetBlue, much like WN (Southwest), doesn't interline with anyone so they can't push your ticket to either of those carriers. They could push you to DL or UA but DL has decided not to play nice with other carriers in recent times and UA may or may not have space depending on where you're going. But you could look out of MIA, PBI, or FLL to IAD if you need to get to the Washington area on UA and, if you find space, ask AA to push your ticket to them. It's always up to the agent you're talking to and it helps if you have status with the airline. In absense of status, hang up and call again until you get the answer you're working for.

In order to find space, use Expert Mode on united.com or, for the more enterprising nerds among you, get an ExpertFlyer account ($99 for a year) and you can check fare availability, set alerts for awards, and all sorts of other useful poo poo.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 6, 2016

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Abu Dave posted:

I've only flown JetBlue, are there any other comparable airlines? How's Southwest now a days

They have, hands down, the best coach experience in the US. Anything else, including Southwest, is a significant step down.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tatsujin posted:

It's fairly trivial to book separate one way tickets for domestic flights, correct? Just buy one ticket, and then the other?

Yep, I do that regularly when the fare rules don't make the price change because I get extra credits in my united.com account.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Getting there out of MIA is a much safer bet with more flights, and more hub-hub connections to PHL or CLT where you could connect to a DCA regional flight. They still should have been able to get you out of PBI to PHL or the like to connect.

Any status? Did you call in/go to the airport to look at options when the first flight cancelled? I'm reading that AA zeroed out many many flight to save space for irrops so the auto computer rebooking may not have been the best.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I ended up getting out of MIA on 1/2 at 7pm. So ultimately it ended in a 24+ hour delay, with only like 5 or six rebookings to get out.

If I wanted to try to make the case for more compensation, I need to email corporate, right? And should I give a specific number or just tell them a sob story?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

There's a compensation sticky on the AA section of Flyertalk I'd read to see what other people have asked for and/or received. If you're sure it was mechanical and not weather you should probably get something.

Meanwhile I'm sitting in MIA waiting for my flight in 10 hours and all the earlier flights to PHL are zero'ed out with no availability so I can't move up. :negative: I should really ignore cruise line suggestions and book for when I think I'll make the airport plus a safety margin.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We are visiting the Big Island in Hawaii in March, and spending a few days in Honolulu at the end of the trip because we've never been. So the flights are JFK-HNL-ITO, ITO-HNL, then a few days, then HNL-JFK.

I'm thinking we should book that ITO-HNL flight separately, since if we want to move it, the change fees are lower since it's inter-island, and we have no chance of messing up our return flight if we miss it somehow.

Anyone think of some reason we should book all three flights on one ticket?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

smackfu posted:

We are visiting the Big Island in Hawaii in March, and spending a few days in Honolulu at the end of the trip because we've never been. So the flights are JFK-HNL-ITO, ITO-HNL, then a few days, then HNL-JFK.

I'm thinking we should book that ITO-HNL flight separately, since if we want to move it, the change fees are lower since it's inter-island, and we have no chance of messing up our return flight if we miss it somehow.

If it prices out the same, sure. Sometimes airfares change if it's not a simple round-trip ticket, whereas what you're looking at would be an open-jaw ticket and an one-way ticket.

Other reasons people might avoid this in general (but that I don't think will apply to you): If the middle flight was on a different airline, the return flight airline isn't under an obligation to help you if the middle flight has issues and you're delayed (but I'm assuming all your flights are on Hawaiian). Also, sometimes your checked luggage allowance is set by the longest flight in the itinerary when traveling long distances so you might end up paying for luggage on middle flights that would otherwise be covered, but also not a problem with Hawaiian since it looks like their fees are uniform for both North American and Intrastate flights.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

smackfu posted:

As someone who's a bit unfamiliar with Hawaii:
Probably pricing. As said below, an open-jaw and a one way might not be as cheap as a roundtrip. But if pricing is an issue, then I might look at having two tickets, a JFK-HNL rt and an HNL-ITO rt and being conservative with flight timings (or maybe splitting the HNL stay into two, so when you arrive and before you leave). Like I said, I don't know Hawaii well, but I'm guessing that outside of maybe Hawaiian, the airlines that fly mainland - Hawaii are not the same airlines that fly interislands so you're stuck to finding combinations of two airlines that will codeshare and it might be easier to do the two separately.

A note on the post below: Even if your ITO-HNL and the longer ticket are both on Hawaiian, they're not under any obligation to help if you are on separate tickets. But since you'll be spending days in Honolulu, you probably don't need to worry about missing a connection.

And once again, something that probably doesn't apply to you, at some airports airport taxes/fees for connecting passengers are lower than for arriving/departing passengers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You both are correct. It turned out pricing was not favorable to my scheme, so we just bought all the flights on one ticket. Like the flexibility would have cost us $60 more and the ticket was only $90 in the first place.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

A note on the post below: Even if your ITO-HNL and the longer ticket are both on Hawaiian, they're not under any obligation to help if you are on separate tickets. But since you'll be spending days in Honolulu, you probably don't need to worry about missing a connection.

Technically true, although I would strongly suspect they would waive any change fees needed with it all on their airline, especially if the cause of the misconnect was in any way their fault, at least if you weren't trying to time it too closely.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
When are international european flights generally cheapest to book, departing during summer?
For regular airlines, excluding low-cost airlines.

Last summer i booked only a month in advance and it got kind of expensive, this year i will try to book earlier.
Booked my tickets for the same destination for the christmas holidays two months in advance which i got for 2/3 of the price compared to the summer booking.
Granted it was between 12 dec and 7 jan, instead of like 19th dec and 2 jan when most people probably travel for the holidays.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 8, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Falukorv posted:

When are international european flights generally cheapest to book, departing during summer?
For regular airlines, excluding low-cost airlines.

Last summer i booked only a month in advance and it got kind of expensive, this year i will try to book earlier.
Booked my tickets for the same destination for the christmas holidays two months in advance which i got for 2/3 of the price compared to the summer booking.

From where? To where?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Jeoh posted:

From where? To where?

Stockholm-Lisbon. Which only TAP flies directly, and as far as i've experienced, Lufthansa usually is the cheapest non-direct flight with a reasonable layover time.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 9, 2016

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Falukorv posted:

Stockholm-Lisbon. Which only TAP flies directly, and as far as i've experienced, Lufthansa usually is the cheapest non-direct flight with a reasonable layover time.

Those are really your options. BA has service but is going to be crazy expensive most likely, as is Brussels Airlines. Honestly, the LCCs are the way to go as long as you know what you're getting into. Norwegian was perfectly fine for SXM-OSL. LIS is a bit further, but paying for the exit row takes care of most discomfort.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mackieman posted:

Norwegian was perfectly fine for SXM-OSL. LIS is a bit further, but paying for the exit row takes care of most discomfort.

I think you'll find you're mistaken about this. There's literally an ocean between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Mackieman posted:

Those are really your options. BA has service but is going to be crazy expensive most likely, as is Brussels Airlines. Honestly, the LCCs are the way to go as long as you know what you're getting into. Norwegian was perfectly fine for SXM-OSL. LIS is a bit further, but paying for the exit row takes care of most discomfort.

Aside from Norwegian, very few LCCs seem to fly Stockholm-Portugal any cheaper than regular airlines. If i was flying like, to Berlin or London, it would be another matter, but in this route LCCs don't seem very competitive.

Hell, last time i booked a trip to Portugal Lufthansa was still cheaper than Norwegian.

Also, what's the cheapest way to get to Granada from Lisbon or Porto? Have a friend who now lives there i might visit or he him me for a week while im in Portugal. Looked into it way too late last summer when i was there, and flights to Malaga got expensive as hell.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 9, 2016