Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Foreign Office's response to Saudi Arabian executions – Britain has been challenged to withdraw its support for Saudi Arabia as chair of the UN human rights council panel after the Foreign Office initially described the announcement of the execution of 47 people as disappointing"

Telegraph:

David Cameron: We'll directly commission 13,000 new homes

Independent:

Times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Hitler B. Natural posted:

At least Lang spelled the Secretary of State's name right, unlike the accompanying blog post:

He's calling him John Carey as an insult. Because he just cares too much!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

That sword clearly has the power to produce severed heads out of thin air. Seriously, it's not swinging through any necks.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I love this poo poo. Look how angry poor, poor put-upon Bill Cosby looks with that mean ol' Clinton calling him.

There's a reason why wingnuts will be bringing up Clinton w/r/t Cosby, and it's not just because they obsess over the Clenis. Cosby told African-Americans that discrimination was their own fault, and to pull up their drat pants and knock it off with the rap music—perfect right-wing white rear end in a top hat sweet spot stuff. That he's apparently also a serial predator has thrown their brains for a loop, so they have to go back to the comfort zone like a child to their favorite blankie.

By the way, Barack Obama appears to be in a loving, mutually beneficial (to a point) relationship with his wife and together they've helped raise two bright young women. In the World of the Sane, right-wingers would applaud this, but haha nope.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dijon du jour posted:

"Okay, how can I depict Bill Clinton in a way that shows he is a sexual predator? I know, I'll depict the victim with a great big smile and clearly enjoying the situation."

I can't tell if Glenn is just supremely stupid or if he has worrying ideas of what exactly a "predator" is or does. :stare:

Holy poo poo, you're right. I'm actually getting more and more convinced that these people literally don't know what consent is. It reminds me of films from decades ago when men would "hit on" women by basically forcing themselves on them or how Ring Wing America doesn't even know about the concept of marital rape. There's probably enough subtext in abstinence-only education to go along with this, too (because all sex outside of marriage is wrong).

I feel like I just saw through a Fundamentalist's eyes for a brief, insane moment now.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Broken Loose posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right. I'm actually getting more and more convinced that these people literally don't know what consent is. It reminds me of films from decades ago when men would "hit on" women by basically forcing themselves on them or how Ring Wing America doesn't even know about the concept of marital rape. There's probably enough subtext in abstinence-only education to go along with this, too (because all sex outside of marriage is wrong).

I feel like I just saw through a Fundamentalist's eyes for a brief, insane moment now.

Well, the 2012 election narrative was dominated by Republicans stumbling incessantly over topics like "legitimate rape."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I mean, a radical feminist would likely argue that Bill Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky, due to the power disparity between the two, was inherently coercive and would be considered rape, but it's obviously crocodile tears when it's a loving McCoy or whoever saying it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

I'm not about to let this slide because holy poo poo, gently caress yourself with the broad end of a rake Ramirez.

(For those of you who haven't seen the movie, it's about how deregulated massive big banks ended up being fraudulent, stupid and wasteful to the point where they tanked the American economy by lying and preying upon its most vulnerable citizens and end up getting off scott free, and Ramirez is looking at this gleaming ode to the failure of Republican economic strategies and shouting "NO U" in as petulant a voice as he can muster).

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClfQudGv74 Always cathartic to get some mileage out of that.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I mean, a radical feminist would likely argue that Bill Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky, due to the power disparity between the two, was inherently coercive and would be considered rape, but it's obviously crocodile tears when it's a loving McCoy or whoever saying it.

I mean you don't even have to be a radical feminist to believe that - any boss having sex with their employee is inherently a little bit skeevy. It's not even in the same ballpark as being a child predator though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean you don't even have to be a radical feminist to believe that - any boss having sex with their employee is inherently a little bit skeevy. It's not even in the same ballpark as being a child predator though.

I agree. I'm kind of tired of the Clinton apologia tbh. He's definitely a scummy dude.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm kind of tired of the Clinton apologia tbh. He's definitely a scummy dude.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Zemyla posted:

That sword clearly has the power to produce severed heads out of thin air. Seriously, it's not swinging through any necks.

Or all those heads were attached to Cameron's balls, too and we're watching the swing in reverse.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm not about to let this slide because holy poo poo, gently caress yourself with the broad end of a rake Ramirez.

Masterful turn of phrase.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Or all those heads were attached to Cameron's balls, too and we're watching the swing in reverse.

Can't be, not nearly porcine enough.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Outside or Monica Lewinsky there are a slew of women who have made stronger allegations against Clinton over the years which right wingers are well aware of so despite the drawing only including Monica McCoy's audience fills in the blanks.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
*hands on hips* "Uhhhhhhhh Bill had sex with a woman who is not his wife OTHER THAN Monica Lewinsky, donchaknow."

"Really!? Who!?"

"Juanita-

"Oh, gross; brown."

*knowingly looks at camera, laughtack*

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

:rock::radcat::rock:

The most metal of Middle Eastern despots.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

D.N. Nation posted:

By the way, Barack Obama appears to be in a loving, mutually beneficial (to a point) relationship with his wife and together they've helped raise two bright young women. In the World of the Sane, right-wingers would applaud this, but haha nope.

They think he's secretly a gay cokehead.

I am not joking.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Flashback: 1992

First off, does anyone know how to track down the dates certain older cartoons were published? I'd like to be able to get exact dates on these, for better context. Failing that, I'll probably post one every three days or so. Today's is from a somewhat lefty cartoonist named Jim Morin. I don't think he's ever been featured here, but he's apparently been the cartoonist for the Miami Herald since 1978 and has won two Pulitzers (hasn't everyone?). All I can gather from today's post is that it's butt ugly:

In fairness, the problem might just be the scan into the book is really splotchy and hard to read. The book title, I think, is Final Exit: The How-to Guide For Suicide. Again, we see that Dems were very reluctant to take on George H.W. Bush.

Wikipedia posted:

After the successful performance by U.S. and coalition forces in the Persian Gulf War, President George H.W. Bush's approval ratings were 89%. His re-election was considered very likely. As a result, several high profile candidates, such as Mario Cuomo, refused to seek the Democratic nomination. In addition, Senator Al Gore refused to seek the nomination due to the fact his son was struck by a car and was undergoing extensive surgery as well as physical therapy.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 5, 2016

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Jurgan posted:

First off, does anyone know how to track down the dates certain older cartoons were published?

Honestly, unless you go through the newspaper's microfilm archive, it's pretty difficult to figure out the exact date, although one can guess based on what current event's being discussed.

Unlike comic strips, editorial cartoonists rarely date their work, only adding the year at best.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I don't get this one, wasn't LBJ a democrat? :confused:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mister Beeg posted:

Honestly, unless you go through the newspaper's microfilm archive, it's pretty difficult to figure out the exact date, although one can guess based on what current event's being discussed.

Unlike comic strips, editorial cartoonists rarely date their work, only adding the year at best.

In that case, since I have about a hundred, I'll just aim to do one every three days or so, and take us through the whole year.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jurgan posted:

In fairness, the problem might just be the scan into the book is really splotchy and hard to read. The book title, I think, is Final Exit: The How-to Guide For Suicide. Again, we see that Dems were very reluctant to take on George H.W. Bush.

It's a bit of a "A Thing Happened" cartoon, since Final Exit was also published around that time and provoked a lot of controversy over the ethics of euthanasia.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulb posted:

Outside or Monica Lewinsky there are a slew of women who have made stronger allegations against Clinton over the years which right wingers are well aware of so despite the drawing only including Monica McCoy's audience fills in the blanks.

That doesn't really counter the idea that the Right struggles with basic poo poo like sexual consent and often rates minor poo poo like a boss having a consenting, if sketchy, sexual relationship with a young underling, with being a rapist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The right believes that any sex outside of marriage is inherently wrong and ends in every level of perversity by default. If you tolerate extramarital affairs it's a slippery slope toward tolerating pedophilia. It's also disturbingly common for them to believe that all the gays are automatically pedophiles too.

It's Satanic Panic level stuff again and the liberal idea of "consensual sex between adults is always OK" drives them insane.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, one cartoon at a time is the wrong way to do this. Particularly when all the commentary you can offer is "Uh, I dunno".

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

there wolf posted:

That doesn't really counter the idea that the Right struggles with basic poo poo like sexual consent and often rates minor poo poo like a boss having a consenting, if sketchy, sexual relationship with a young underling, with being a rapist.

The way it's presented isn't the (reasonable but pushed way too far) argument that consent in a relationship with a power dynamic like a boss and worker is somewhat sketchy, it's that it's badwrongsex, and like all badwrongsex is equivalent to rape. That's why both sides get portrayed as enjoying it but are demonized. That's also why they have a really hard time with rape that doesn't involve actual force and even then they get weird about that sort of thing and can come out with something absolutely bizarre to those of us with moral systems that value human welfare.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

fantastic

Political Cartoons 2016: not affiliated with reality

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, one cartoon at a time is the wrong way to do this. Particularly when all the commentary you can offer is "Uh, I dunno".

You're right, instead he should just post a massive wall of cartoons that people usually scroll past.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, one cartoon at a time is the wrong way to do this.

Regarding this post, I will give you credit on this: you are certainly not a hypocrite.

e: f,b

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I thought you were referring to Trump's leavings at first. Imagine the ensuing tantrum...

A guy in politics who everyone thinks is richer than he really is turns out not to poo poo gold? All we need now is a dwarf with a crossbow and we will have achieved perfection.

Independent:

That sword blade is back to front, you loving idiot.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I realize that he's mostly approaching these things from a native issues perspective, and obesity (and drinking, and drug use) are problems on reservations, but Marty Two Bulls straight up hates fun.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Marty has become the git off MA lawn boomer he hated this whole time.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

On one hand, I see the point he's trying to make, and I don't disagree (hell, I know I was one of those fat kids), but on the other hand, if someone like Tinsley had done this comic, we'd be ripping on it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If someone like Tinsley had drawn this comic, we'd be wondering what happened to make him push himself to draw actual action, and context, instead of one character against a blank background talking to the audience.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

:effort:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

"They refusedto accept the jewish state": Somebody refuse the existence of Switzerland.
"This decision tranformed their young people..." "..into mosters": This somebody people childrens where turned into monsters.
"They call it NAQBA the disaster, and they are right": They call this disaster NQBA, and is a good name (NQBA? Nuclear Chemical Biological Atomic? ).

I fail to make sense of this comic. Also whats going on here with the obsession with jews? Is like this dude comic mention jews more often than (probably) all of the israel put together.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Wow that is... that is a very, very good comic. Holy poo poo, Pope, knocking it out of the loving park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just read the article that that is based on I assume, and I take it that is not the first time he has put some woman on the spot inappropriately like that?

• Locked thread