Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shouldn't we at least had spent half a minute to see if he was still alive and attempted to rescue him? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Poil posted:

Shouldn't we at least had spent half a minute to see if he was still alive and attempted to rescue him? :(

I tried this extensively when I played that mission. There's simply no way into the lumber mill itself.

I wonder if the level was cut?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Let's not forget Dracula Dead & Loving It was a Mel Brooks film. Anything by that guy is amazing. Spaceballs, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein... It's ok if you don't share my opinion.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Smithy's briefing said that when we got to here, we'd have to meet up with someone who would tell us how to get into the secret base. I think that was that guy. Note how our objectives changed immediately after hearing that conversation to "find a way into the secret base".

Wait, if it was a secret base, how did we already have an inside man?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

You know, that's a very good question. How did we already get a man on the inside if UNITY only believed the secret base to be in this area?

It's not a plot hole.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Yvonmukluk posted:

I was about to post that question after the briefing video, then I thought about it and decided that UNITY sent in some agents - one was on the train car and had attracted some attention, and the other was that guy I guess.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov#Assassination

It was one of the more creative covert operations during the cold war. Death by poison-injecting umbrella sounds like something straight out of a bond film.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, I forgot that we've got a new weapon here!

The M79 grenade launcher was the standard American grenade launcher during Vietnam, and is still in limited use today for the range and accuracy over underbarrel launchers. It was only put into service in 1961, so it's fairly new by the time of this game (but not the newest weapon period, which we haven't seen yet). It's basically a gigantic single-shot shotgun in construction, which makes it extremely simple.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

WFGuy posted:

I've always liked Joss Whedon's mantra of 'hire your villains from comedy', the thinking being that comedy is harder than anything else, so if they can do that well, they can ace a dramatic feature. That saying was in the Serenity commentary track (whose villain was Chiwetel Ejiofor), and it's held up pretty well every time I've seen a good comedy actor play a baddie.

I can see this being true, but Leslie Neilson was the exact opposite; he was a dramatic actor for a long, long time, from 1956 to 1979. When news got out that he was going to be doing a comedic movie in Airplane!, the reaction was along the lines of 'comedy? But he only does serious roles!'. That experience probably really helped him keep that deadpan delivery that became his trademark, though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WFGuy posted:

I've always liked Joss Whedon's mantra of 'hire your villains from comedy', the thinking being that comedy is harder than anything else, so if they can do that well, they can ace a dramatic feature. That saying was in the Serenity commentary track (whose villain was Chiwetel Ejiofor), and it's held up pretty well every time I've seen a good comedy actor play a baddie.

This was actually something drilled into me at film school. If you want the best actors, find talented comedians.

One of the best examples I've actually seen of this is Will Ferrell (yes, really) in Stranger Than Fiction and The Lego Movie (yes, really). Say what you will about his comedy but he's a legitimately talented dramatic actor.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Sorry for being a lurker, you just update so quickly, DScruffy! Also I like watching your videos before bed, they are amusing and relaxing (especially if I'm not sober at the time). And speaking of Not Sober, I completely flipped out while watching Rescue Attempt scene 1. Did anyone else notice the one-frame pop-in at 3:59? It happens just as DS1 says "I have flawless editing skills," and I thought he was pulling an elaborate prank, but I also went completely crazy trying to prove it was real. When I finally captured that frame, it chilled me to the core for half a second-- then I realized it was just the parallaxed background without any models, and maybe zoomed out a bit. I'll post it here, as a kind of fan art?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

WFGuy posted:

I seem to recall that being del Toro's logic for the actor playing the Captain in Pan's Labyrinth, too.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, I forgot that we've got a new weapon here!

The M79 grenade launcher was [...] basically a gigantic single-shot shotgun in construction, which makes it extremely simple.

The best part of the M79, to me, remains its nicknames. "Thump gun". "Bloop tube."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It fires the same round as an M203 grenade launcher, but the M203 is meant to be an attachment to an assault rifle, so the M79 doesn't see a lot of action these days. Easier to just have a gun that's also a grenade launcher and haul that around than two separate guns.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speedball posted:

It fires the same round as an M203 grenade launcher, but the M203 is meant to be an attachment to an assault rifle, so the M79 doesn't see a lot of action these days. Easier to just have a gun that's also a grenade launcher and haul that around than two separate guns.

The M79 is still in service, albeit limited. It has a slightly longer barrel and a proper stock to shoulder it from, so it's a little more accurate for long range shooting. They're also common worldwide.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

Easier to just have a gun that's also a grenade launcher and haul that around than two separate guns.

Or bring something that let's you shoot six grenades before reloading.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Or bring something that let's you shoot six grenades before reloading.
Like a really big revolver.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Poil posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkor_MGL

Go on...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Well not quite I had in mind in this case.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Revolver? Nah, son. Belt fed!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wa11y posted:

Revolver? Nah, son. Belt fed!

True, but good luck carrying that thing around.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Cooked Auto posted:

True, but good luck carrying that thing around.

Carry? Nah, son. Mounted!

Go big or go home!

I supposed if you wanted to stay small, you could go pump action.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Takeaways from this scene: don't play with tainted sodium nitrate.

Rescue Attempt
Scene 3/Polsy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's wrong with National Geographic?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is it really the kind of thing you'd expect to be shipped to a secret underground lair with a lightning room?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't think of a better place. Spend all that time indoors and underground and magazines about the outdoors around the whole world would allow for some escapism and boost morale.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing the game states repeatedly it's that evil organization mooks are people just like everyone else.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Poil posted:

I can't think of a better place. Spend all that time indoors and underground and magazines about the outdoors around the whole world would allow for some escapism and boost morale.

It's not evil enough, though. What they need are the discarded magazines from a dentist's waiting room.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psion posted:

It's not evil enough, though. What they need are the discarded magazines from a dentist's waiting room.
Isn't it more evil to hog all the good stuff? :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

At least this game never chides you for killing these bad guys. It's more like, "Yes, they're human, but they've still committed themselves to a cause you are opposed to, so don't beat yourself up over it if you have to take 'em out."

Not a lot of games supported pacifist runs when this one came out anyway.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

They're supposed to be evil to their victims, though, not their employees. HARM has an excellent employee satisfaction rating, and they didn't get that by torturing their own people for no reason. That's Evil Alliance thinking.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The other protection item you couldn't remember is the Antidote, which does indeed protect against cyanide rounds. It also protects against poison gas, inhaling your own weaponised perfumes, and toxic chemicals.

This game's prudent design (stashing needed items within the level itself) usually means that the very last thing you want to equip yourself with on the loadout screen is the actual required item! That takes up valuable inventory space. Instead, load out on camera disablers, coins, and other such handy tools and trust that the level designers have stashed the mission-critical stuff within the game itself.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Psion posted:

My dentist frequently has National Geographic in the waiting room, so I think we're covered.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WFGuy posted:

They're supposed to be evil to their victims, though, not their employees. HARM has an excellent employee satisfaction rating, and they didn't get that by torturing their own people for no reason. That's Evil Alliance thinking.
Isn't Evil Alliance the one with constant trouble with copyrighted Evil Plan Names?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't Evil Alliance the one with constant trouble with copyrighted Evil Plan Names?

Personally I've always thought the name was a reference/sneak attack to a certain competitor of Monolith which a lot of people love to hate (with a lot of justifications). Even the judgement expressed by the mook could be considered fitting....

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think they turn up again in the sequel, but it would be a shame to ruin it so I'm not going to poil anything. Strongly recommended you get the game if you can, and if you can run it.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Loxbourne posted:

The other protection item you couldn't remember is the Antidote, which does indeed protect against cyanide rounds. It also protects against poison gas, inhaling your own weaponised perfumes, and toxic chemicals.

The antidote was back in The Dive Scene 2. He looks right at it at around 6:36 but doesn't pick it up.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Spikey posted:

The antidote was back in The Dive Scene 2. He looks right at it at around 6:36 but doesn't pick it up.

That's it? Weird. I'd swear I tried grabbing that before. Weird 2000 hitboxes I guess. I wasn't willing to screw around too much in that room since I've gotten caught on level geometry before.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Those power-ups don't really stand out, do they. The bunny slippers in the last video could be taken for an easter egg and not something you could pick up.

I remember there are other copies of the special defense items later in the game, at the scenes of some of the last big firefights. Just like finding necessary gadgets in the field if you opt not to take them with you at the mission start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time for a tropical vacation detour.

A Stern Warning
Scene 1/Polsy

Trouble In The Tropics
Scene 1/Polsy

• Locked thread