Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Trust Jack, because that's the sort of terrible life choice a guy like Rhys would make under pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
It's amazing how slimy Vasquez sounds, Patrick Warburton does a hell of a job. I feel like I need a shower after the scenes with him.

Fiona's plan involves using an untested grenade that we don't know what it does or if it'll actually work. Go with Jack.

Playing through BL2 again Jack sounds different than here; I actually thought he was being played by a different person, but no, it's still Dameon Clarke. Maybe it's the lack of "Heeeeeeeey, Handsome Jack here" openings.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Trust Fiona, admittedly because I already played and I picked Jack.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Trust Fiona, because she has a 100% track record of not getting herself killed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Donnerberg posted:

Trust Jack, because that's the sort of terrible life choice a guy like Rhys would make under pressure.

Pretty much.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

Trust Fiona, because she has a 100% track record of not getting herself killed.

I think you'd rather want someone with experience in that field, to avoid it.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

In this situation, options are limited. I say trust Fiona. This is EXACTLY the sort of situation that a con artist would be able to get us out of.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

I think you'd rather want someone with experience in that field, to avoid it.

Once youve done it once its easier to do it again. Trust Fiona she has resisted the urge to die everytime.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Nothing against you Fiona, but Holy poo poo do not trust Jack

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Vicissitude posted:

Once Jack has a body again, we'll never get it back. Fiona's apparently got a plan. She's a con-artist. By definition she's got to think and act quick. She's got practice at poo poo like this. Trust Fiona.

This is a good reason. Sure, she doesn't know what the ball or the grenades do, but nobody else here knows jack about them either, and she's a master bluffer.

Jack is great, though, I love him trying to get Rhys to insult Vasquez just because it'd be funny with no thought about whether antagonizing the guy any further at this point is a good idea.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Jack has a plan...trust him

To hell with improv.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah. Trust Jack. Fiona may think she has a plan, but I'd wager good money whatever "plan" she has in mind is total garbage! Despite having played before, I do not know what plan she actually has in mind, because who would ever be stupid enough to pick it?

Apparently most of the people in this thread! Let's hope we don't regret this terrible decision.

Also Jack is cool and real and also our friend (or, rather, it is a good idea to let him to continue to believe that being our friend is in his own best interest because I don't want our head ghost to hate us just yet, now is not the time to backstab him for our own advancement!).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Trust Jack, because as much of a dick as he may be, he DOES need to keep us alive and he knows what he's doing.

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!
Trust Fiona. That's how you build team loyalty. Also, I have a feeling if we give Jack an inch, he'll take a mile.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Trust Jack. Fiona's plan will work out in the end but that's not really what I'm looking for here. I wanna see what happens if we go with the bad decision that has payoff.

Also, it means possibly having firepower we can use on Vasquez. Which we can't really turn down after he dissed Loader Bot like that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Trust Jack. Buddy is in your brain, you're not getting any closer to someone than that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look at Fiona, she doesn't have a loving plan. Jack at least has something viable. We can't trust Jack, but we should Trust Jack.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Trust Fiona, because I've made it a point not to trust actual sociopaths in life. Virtual or otherwise.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Trust Jack
I mean, sure he tried to kill all life on Pandora. But have you seen the life on Pandora? It was clearly self defense.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

edit: I know the pistol Vasquez is waving around but can't recall its name, drives me nuts.

Closest thing I could find is the Leverage model. :shrug:

As far as legendary weapons go Logan's Gun from TPS has the same design but wildly different colors.

Limopalise posted:

real happy to hear someone else mention how good the Galatarium's song is. So good!

For real! Tales from the Borderlands has a lot of solid tracks. Quite a few times it'll use old songs in really appropriate ways-- for example, when the team is being chased by the rakk hive, the game is actually playing the music for the rakk hive boss fight from the first Borderlands!

The Galatarium's music track though just knocks it out of the goddamn park with how it builds up as everything is happening. I love this song. That pounding guitar fuels me.

Tangentially related, one of the other little things I love during this scene is a very brief camerawork moment with Jack where he's explaining his plan. He looks visibly worried and tells Rhys that almost nobody will die, then he walks behind Rhys and emerges over his other shoulder with a mischievous grin "...unless you want them to. "

I just like it a lot. :allears:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Playing through BL2 again Jack sounds different than here; I actually thought he was being played by a different person, but no, it's still Dameon Clarke. Maybe it's the lack of "Heeeeeeeey, Handsome Jack here" openings.

Probably a case of getting really comfortable with a character going into his third appearance and evolving the voice a bit.

Alopex posted:

Jack is great, though, I love him trying to get Rhys to insult Vasquez just because it'd be funny with no thought about whether antagonizing the guy any further at this point is a good idea.

Always dunk on Vasquez with no regard for you own safety. It's just factually the right thing to do. :colbert:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Alopex posted:

This is a good reason. Sure, she doesn't know what the ball or the grenades do, but nobody else here knows jack about them either, and she's a master bluffer.

Exactly. What does Rhys know about Jack that isn't just Hyperion rah-rah propaganda? Sure, the guy was a programmer who moved up through the ranks by murder until he was in charge of Hyperion, but come on. His holo-form tried to strangle Rhys because it was funny. Is that the kind of guy we can trust?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Okay here's my rundown:

* Jack is a terrible programmer
* Jack doesn't care about anybody's life except his own/Rhys' (bc it is also his own)
* I dont want this rear end in a top hat driving our body like a lovely car
* Fiona is smart and pretty and nice and I like her hair

Trust Fiona

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Trust Jack, because it's the opposite of what I picked in my own playthrough, and what pretty much everyone else already said -- Fiona barely has a plan as it is, and who knows what that thing might actually do? Who knows if the Atlas-bots even give a poo poo? Letting Jack into our subsystems might have some nasty consequences in the long run, but in the short run, it's the only shot we have for sure at not dying horribly.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Panzer Skank posted:

Scooter's parachute account detected.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Panzer Skank posted:

Don't forget her hat. It is fancy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Look, i don't like Handsome Jack, but:

• Fiona has no plan and is just a conned con-artist
  • Jack has a plan and is was one of the most powerful people in the series.

Also, we know that Jack won't just take over Rhys' body or something because Rhys is narrating this, so don't even try that one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

HenryEx posted:

Look, i don't like Handsome Jack, but:

• Fiona has no plan and is just a conned con-artist
  • Jack has a plan and is was one of the most powerful people in the series.

Also, we know that Jack won't just take over Rhys' body or something because Rhys is narrating this, so don't even try that one.
It'll be fiiiine

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

HenryEx posted:

It looks like the story started in media res. Jack might not have taken Rhys over when we are talking to the wanderer or whatever he is called, but that didn't look like the end of the game to me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

HenryEx posted:

when Jack enhanced Rhys's echo eye, his eye turned yellow

just throwing that out there for no reason

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 8, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know about the eye but go back and watch present-day Rhys talk and tell me that Jack could ever act that doofy

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Panzer Skank posted:

I'm not sure we have evidence of this either way but even if Jack is a lovely programmer, he's a fantastic hacker which is the relevant skill here.

Kaubocks posted:

when Jack enhanced Rhys's echo eye, his eye turned yellow

just throwing that out there for no reason

For what it's worth, future Rhys seems too bumbling to be Jack - which doesn't mean Jack didn't do something irreversible to him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

I know about the eye but go back and watch present-day Rhys talk and tell me that Jack could ever act that doofy
Are you serious?!
I mean, right, he doesn't act like Jack but that's an extremely loaded question.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
He's not saying Jack may be puppeting narrator rhys, he's saying if we choose this faustian bargain, it may let Jack in irrevocably, and when we reach the end of the tale in the present Rhys may be hosed as Jack takes over or self-destructs him or something at the epilogue.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Panzer Skank posted:

Okay here's my rundown:

* Jack doesn't care about anybody's life except his own/Rhys' (bc it is also his own)
* I dont want this rear end in a top hat driving our body like a lovely car

Trust Fiona
If Jack had a 100 foot robot he would make terrible choices with it and that's all the more reason to not trust him with even the smallest robot.

Touraxus
Sep 4, 2011

Lord of the dance, and bananas.
Trust Jack.
He will help bring civility to pandora one way or another!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Trust Jack. I believe in Fiona but cleaning house is the cooler option.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Whatever we choose, I hope it happens soon because I'm bursting talking about a spoiler I want to talk about that won't be a spoiler after the next update.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Look, Future Rhys' eye being yellow can't be because of this decision because it was yellow before we got to this point and it will still be yellow if we choose to trust Fiona. Whether Jack does or doesn't betray us and whether or not something happens or doesn't happen with Rhys' eye, it's obviously going to happen either way.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the game's just that good at predicting what choices you're going to make :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I haven't played it so I don't know if the Pre Sequel helps you warm to Jack at all with all that betrayal, but I have played BL2 and hilarious as he is, the man is an utter monster. Trust Fiona.

It did seem to me like they were playing on Jack's more endearing qualities in the run up to this choice. If that's the case that's a nice touch, particularly for people like me who think of Jack as a (hilarious) child abusing murderous psychopath and otherwise might never even entertain the other option.

• Locked thread