Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

Do you mean 'these people' the press or 'these people' Labour MPs?

Because all she did was reply "I don't know" in response to the question "Were you picked so Jeremy can get rid of Trident?", followed by explaining her background and relevant experience. It's a bit of a dumb answer because obviously her first sentence can be jumped on by the press as some kind of admission of incompetence rather than an admission she doesn't know the mind of our glorious JC, but there you go.

Not expecting her to read JC's mind, but you would expect it to have come up in conversation between the two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

In other news, I see that Jeremy Corbyn's second strongest defender in the media (after Owen Jones) has been at it again. Peter Hitchens ladies & gentlemen! Oh, alright, it's got it's nutty moments, like when he insists that Blairism is PURE Marxism of a pre-Lenin variety because they are "fanatical egalitarians" (WHAT?) but the basic idea on the reshuffle media farce is worth reading.

Hitchens side-along... Well, I'm not sure 'support' is the word, but affectations towards Corbyn is still one of the more surreal parts of it all.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

tentish klown posted:

They need media training. All of them. And someone like Mandelson to whip them into shape and stop them saying stupid things.

Wasn't that Campbell not Mandelson? But still yeah, this is embarrassing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

El Scotch posted:

Hitchens side-along... Well, I'm not sure 'support' is the word, but affectations towards Corbyn is still one of the more surreal parts of it all.
Maybe he respects him for being old and a traditional leftist. He seems to despise the transformation of all parties to mushy neoliberal pseudoprogressive parties hanging around the middle of the Overton window, just for opposite reasons to us.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Puntification posted:

Wasn't that Campbell not Mandelson? But still yeah, this is embarrassing.

Sorry, wrong Sith Lord.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cerv posted:

"I don't know why Jeremy gave me this job" - our new shadow defence secretary.

Jesus loving Christ, what is wrong with these people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-a6802721.html

I paid her to say that to annoy pissflaps

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

El Scotch posted:

Hitchens I think considers himself a man of principle and see Corbyn as the same even if there's little overlap in those principles. You can't say the same thing of Call Me Dave or of the vast majority of the intake of either party during the Blair years.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

So a local pub/venue that's basically been the heart of Norwich's music scene since it opened a few years ago just got bought out by a caricature of capitalist scum in order to build a block of flats or some poo poo. This is the story in the owner's own words... My question to people that might know, how legal is this loving travesty?

haakman
May 5, 2011

Whorelord posted:

So a local pub/venue that's basically been the heart of Norwich's music scene since it opened a few years ago just got bought out by a caricature of capitalist scum in order to build a block of flats or some poo poo. This is the story in the owner's own words... My question to people that might know, how legal is this loving travesty?

Don't be silly, everyone knows the Waterfront is the heart of Norwich's music scene....

In all seriousness this is rubbish though :(

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Whorelord posted:

The legal reality of this may be different to what that post suggests.

According to the person at the centre of this, the lease that the Owl Sanctuary has was a fixed term, with no option for extension in the lease agreement, and it expires in March. They're not being kicked out, or bought out - their lease has expired, in accordance with the contract they signed with the old owner.

He may be bending the truth of course, but that sounds like a slightly more plausible version of events.

In a sidenote, I think I'm randomly going to be moving to Norwich for a job - what's it like?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

The legal reality of this may be different to what that post suggests.

According to the person at the centre of this, the lease that the Owl Sanctuary has was a fixed term, with no option for extension in the lease agreement, and it expires in March. They're not being kicked out, or bought out - their lease has expired, in accordance with the contract they signed with the old owner.

He may be bending the truth of course, but that sounds like a slightly more plausible version of events.

In a sidenote, I think I'm randomly going to be moving to Norwich for a job - what's it like?

poo poo.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Whorelord posted:

This does seem a bit odd as the building next to the Marquee (yes i am that old you loving hipster) is a listed building so the chance of him being able to do anything to that is small and the space behind the building isn't very big so he couldn't get many flats behind it (plus the archtects next door will cause issues). The footpath between the two buildings could very well be argued to be a right of way so can't be blocked and the pedstrian crossing makes getting into the site very difficult without tearing up the road and moving things that can't easily be moved.

Either the developer is an idiot or something else is going on.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Prince John posted:

I went to Norwich just to have a look at it last year. It's an isolated city, which has allowed it to retain a lot more individual character than other places. It's got tonnes of medieval buildings and churches in the centre and a ginormous cathedral. Lots of good pubs, an old-fashioned market and, slightly incongruously, loads of strip clubs (I was puzzled by this until I realised Norwich must be the only place within a 30 mile radius where this sort of thing is available for stag nights etc).

I imagine you wouldn't have to live there too long before your boundaries started to shrink and the rest of the Uk began to seem a looooong way away.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Either the developer is an idiot or something else is going on.

As this deal involves property, there is indeed a high probability that the developer is an idiot.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is the Norwich bijou crawl space and shed rental market not a moneyspinner yet?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Pistol_Pete posted:

As this deal involves property, there is indeed a high probability that the developer is an idiot.

The area within Rose Lane, Mountagate and King Street is being completely flattened and redeveloped with two large office buildings, a warehouse, a car park and some light industrial units being torn down to be replaced with a multi-storey carpark and housing. Maybe the developer is thinking the Marquee would make a decent investment as it is only a hundred meters from all this.

The local rag has more info and a statement from the guy

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/campaign_launched_to_save_the_owl_sanctuary_in_norwich_from_closure_1_4371557

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
There will be something else going on, if a big build is being planned, the developer has a lot of money and knows enough influential local figures they well get to build no matter what is done. The pub I work at is for the second time trying to block planning permission for a block of luxury apartments next door. They're fighting this as the pubs trade is based largely on its beer garden and flats will result in noise complaints, the garden having to close early and the loss of the businesses viability. Local residents and businesses are opposed and the Moseley Society who basically run the suburb are opposed. This is the second time planning permission has been applied for as the developers let it expire and have since sold it to a new developer who are reapplying. The first application a similar campaign was fought and in the hearing planning permission was voted down, however a private sidebar was quickly called and planning permission was granted. With big property builds the developers are going to get what they want.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Whorelord posted:

If the old owners violated the terms of the tenant's lease when selling up, the tenant will be able to sue for compensation. However, it's very unlikely that they'll be able to force a reversal of the sale.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Pistol_Pete posted:

I went to Norwich just to have a look at it last year. It's an isolated city, which has allowed it to retain a lot more individual character than other places. It's got tonnes of medieval buildings and churches in the centre and a ginormous cathedral. Lots of good pubs, an old-fashioned market and, slightly incongruously, loads of strip clubs (I was puzzled by this until I realised Norwich must be the only place within a 30 mile radius where this sort of thing is available for stag nights etc).

I imagine you wouldn't have to live there too long before your boundaries started to shrink and the rest of the Uk began to seem a looooong way away.

As someone whose lived in Norwich all their life I kind of have to disagree a out the isolation and shrinking boundaries thing. You're two hours away from London on the train/driving which is no more than somewhere like Bristol.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
people from norwich have webbed feet

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Libel and slander

That's people from Yarmouth

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Norwich is basically Innsmouth.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Again, that's Yarmouth. Norwich is actually good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oberleutnant posted:

So the BBC, in its chase for a political scoop, convinced one of the Labour shadow ministers to resign live on air 5 minutes before PMQs started, ensuring that it would cause the maximum amount of damage:

I think this this is quite interesting because, while it could be argued that a live on air resignation is a great coup, I’m not sure it’s the job of the BBC’s political editor to actively assist disgruntled shadow cabinet members attempt to inflict maximum damage upon their party leader. I imagine if she had assisted a junior government minister do the same, there’d be a fearful row about BBC impartiality. What do you think?

the cached version of the BBC blog is: [url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tCufUeYIpA4J:https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/collegeofjournalism/entries/82a00c77-c0cc-4e79-99ca-25e9c21d01a7+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk[/url]
[/quote]
Just to pop this bullshit back up again, for someone who's apparently keeping her head down...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35258182

Laura Kuenssberg loving hates Corbyn with a disturbing amount of passion.

Goddamn that's a good line and an impressive control of the interview from, to be fair, someone no doubt very used to giving difficult to swallow information to people not interested in hearing it.

E: again: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/12088804/Nigel-Farage-I-made-a-terrible-terrible-mistake-over-assassination-attempt-claims.html

Farage has twigged that people realised he just didn't bother to listen to the recall notice.

But on a much sadder note http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35268713 breaking news about a shooting in an Egyptian hotel.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 8, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The last part is the bit that got me: "ultimately, do you want to seen by someone at the end of a hundred hour shift?".

Silence, then "err, well, that is a question that I'm sure many other of your colleagues will be asking as this debate continues", which is so obviously a canned response to end the interview it's unreal. Stuck the ending nicely.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Laura Kuenssberg loving hates Corbyn with a disturbing amount of passion.

Man that's a pretty terrible piece, and this

quote:

It's not clear that the levels of drama really merit four departures

is a bit loving rich given her role in one of those departures.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

StoneOfShame posted:

There will be something else going on, if a big build is being planned, the developer has a lot of money and knows enough influential local figures they well get to build no matter what is done. The pub I work at is for the second time trying to block planning permission for a block of luxury apartments next door. They're fighting this as the pubs trade is based largely on its beer garden and flats will result in noise complaints, the garden having to close early and the loss of the businesses viability. Local residents and businesses are opposed and the Moseley Society who basically run the suburb are opposed. This is the second time planning permission has been applied for as the developers let it expire and have since sold it to a new developer who are reapplying. The first application a similar campaign was fought and in the hearing planning permission was voted down, however a private sidebar was quickly called and planning permission was granted. With big property builds the developers are going to get what they want.

Wait, you work at the PoW?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
lol https://twitter.com/eyespymp/status/685470941078511617

quote:

Authentic Northern working-class @MichaelDugher and @DPJHodges in the Bar at the Groucho.

I await the next Dan Hodges anti Corbyn hit piece with glee.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well anyone wondering if the BBC thing would get buried, apparently someone noticed. That someone being the Labour Party.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/labour-complains-about-shadow-ministers-resignation-on-bbc/

quote:

The Labour party has this evening complained about the BBC arranging for Stephen Doughty to announce his resignation on the Daily Politics. A spokesperson for Jeremy Corbyn said:

‘By the BBC’s own account, BBC journalists and presenters proposed and secured the resignation of a shadow minister on air in the immediate run-up to Prime Minister’s Questions, apparently to ensure maximum news and political impact. That was evidently done before any notice of resignation was sent to the Labour leader.

‘Such orchestration of political controversy is an unacceptable breach of the BBC’s role and statutory obligations

‘Trust in the impartiality and independence of the BBC is essential. The BBC’s role is to report the news impartially, rather than seek to influence events or promote a particular political narrative.’

It's a pretty good wording of it and interestingly contradicts the MP's claim that he sent in his resignation first before chatting with the BBC. I don't think this is going away now.

Fans fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 8, 2016

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Good riddance tho. My guess is new minister thought he could get some coverage and that everyone else would join him, first of the rebels or something. Now the big rebellion hasn't appeared, he probably feels a bit of a prat right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

Good riddance tho. My guess is new minister thought he could get some coverage and that everyone else would join him, first of the rebels or something. Now the big rebellion hasn't appeared, he probably feels a bit of a prat right now.

"And then everyone stood up and clapped, and that minister's name was Albert Einstein."

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

If the old owners violated the terms of the tenant's lease when selling up, the tenant will be able to sue for compensation. However, it's very unlikely that they'll be able to force a reversal of the sale.

Indeed. I can't imagine a lease would be written up so as to prevent the freeholder from selling up, and anything more than that's going to be down to the leasehold agreement. In any case if its a pub that no one actually uses as a residence its almost certainly going to be civil law rather than criminal, so probably a matter of how much money the new buyer is willing to throw at the problem to make it go away. (Disclaimer: Not a lawyer.)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fans posted:

Well anyone wondering if the BBC thing would get buried, apparently someone noticed. That someone being the Labour Party.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/labour-complains-about-shadow-ministers-resignation-on-bbc/

It's a pretty good wording of it and interestingly contradicts the MP's claim that he sent in his resignation first before chatting with the BBC. I don't think this is going away now.

Hardman was calling people crazy conspiracy theorists for suggesting that what the beeb did was wrong, last night.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Oberleutnant posted:

Hardman was calling people crazy conspiracy theorists for suggesting that what the beeb did was wrong, last night.

now if twitterbot was functional it could spam those words at his article, as well as call him a oval office, to make the point.

I hope Labour burn them to the ground and the BBC is forced back sharply into its role as an ethical journalistic enterprise, but that's fantasy talk.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Well now Isabel...

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35252472

The BBC posted:

Independent schools should be required to provide more support for local state schools as a condition of their charitable status, according to proposals from the Labour party.
The plans were put forward as amendments to the Charities Bill going through Parliament.
Labour called on independent schools to share music and arts facilities and careers advice.
The Boarding School Association said the plans were "built on prejudice".
The amendments were discussed in committee on Thursday, but were not put to a vote. They could be revived at a later stage of the legislative process.
The proposals from Labour would oblige independent schools to share "resources and facilities" with state schools, as a requirement of their charitable status and associated tax benefits.
Social mobility 'stalling'
Labour called for the Charity Commission to publish guidance setting out the minimum required of independent schools in how they "engage with their local communities".
And the Labour amendments, put forward by shadow charities minister Anna Turley specified that independent schools should share facilities for music, drama and arts.
They also called for more support for careers advice and work experience projects in local state schools.
Labour's shadow education secretary Lucy Powell said: "With social mobility stalling we want to see more collaboration in the system and the whole independent sector doing more to engage and work with other local schools whether that's sharing facilities or experience.
"Some of the best private schools do that, but many don't. As a result, more should be done to ensure the independent sector earn their charitable status."
'Half baked'
But the Boarding Schools' Association, representing many independent boarding schools, attacked the plans as failing to recognise the extent of existing partnerships.
"These are half-baked proposals, built on prejudice against private schools and based on ignorance about the huge amount of brilliant partnership work that happens now," said the association's national director, Robin Fletcher.
"Clearly someone has no idea that hundreds of independent schools already have extensive partnerships with local communities and state schools, often much broader than what is being put forward."
Chris King, who chairs the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference, said such a "heavy handed" legal approach would not be effective and that 99.7% of its schools already shared such facilities.

"It seems the Labour front bench has come up with the wrong answer to an important educational problem," he said.
"Whilst heads of leading independent schools fully support genuine improvements to opportunities for all pupils, the latest call to compel us into partnerships is misguided," said Mr King.
"It is pointless to force schools to do something they are already doing."
A Department for Education spokesman said: "There are many independent schools in vibrant partnerships with local state-funded schools.
"These partnerships can include a huge range of activities, from curriculum and teaching support through to the sharing of facilities and joint events, for example in sports, music and drama."

If they already meet these requirements then why are they so angry about them?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Hopefully this results in further funding cuts at the BBC

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35252472

If they already meet these requirements then why are they so angry about them?

What they probably mean is that many private schools share sports facilities (or, more precisely, let people rent them over the weekends when no-ones in school) Music? Arts? Drama? Those are parts of the actual school! Can't have any non-feepayers going near those.

It is pretty rediculus that private schools don't pay any tax and can claim to be charities, simply because they are not designed to make profits for their owners.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

shrike82 posted:

Hopefully this results in further funding cuts at the BBC

It's one of those weird situations. I do happen to, on a very personal level, love the BBC. Always have. That's why it saddens me when they resort to poo poo like this.

There definitely needs to be some sort of reprisal, because they very clearly hosed up, and that is never acceptable, but they're in such a state that those who wish to destroy it find it that much easier to do so.

It's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ddraig posted:

It's one of those weird situations. I do happen to, on a very personal level, love the BBC. Always have. That's why it saddens me when they resort to poo poo like this.

There definitely needs to be some sort of reprisal, because they very clearly hosed up, and that is never acceptable, but they're in such a state that those who wish to destroy it find it that much easier to do so.

It's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Seriously. Someone should loving hang for this, but you can guarantee that if anything happens at all, the people responsible won't, and the BBC as a whole will.

• Locked thread