Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

remusclaw posted:

They are not on board with those headbutts.

I felt the head butts were way toned down from the last time. It was definitely way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, both of those guys are all about making pro wrestling as real as it can be while still being pro wrestling, but those headbutts, no matter how many you do, are just asking for an injury. Honestly I think they are worse for being consensual, at least in a real contest there's an excuse, in a pro wrestling match its just being dumb.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I'm watching New Years Dash now, and it's awesome how Naito went from a guy I was very meh on to a dude who completely rules.

I just watched this and holy poo poo he's such a natural heel. Teasing interaction with Tana and never delivering on it was some of the best heeling I've seen in a while.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Dave in the Observer said the only hope New Japan has for the Dome next year is Ibushi vs Okada on top. Okada/Naito and Okada/Omega are, as he put it, "not Tokyo Dome main events" no matter what you do with them in the interim

Also that with the lower echelon of the Bullet Club replacing the top guys, they'll probably be seen as lesser talents impersonating real stars. I don't doubt Omega will have good matches, but it'll be very difficult for him to reach the level AJ did.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Kenny Omega is a natural baby face. His heel stuff is groan worthy and the Japanese crowds obviously want to cheer him even when he betrayed AJ Styles.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

DynamiteKidd posted:

Dave in the Observer said the only hope New Japan has for the Dome next year is Ibushi vs Okada on top. Okada/Naito and Okada/Omega are, as he put it, "not Tokyo Dome main events" no matter what you do with them in the interim

I don't think Dave understands how hot Naito is getting. His jacket is the top seller on the NJPW shop right now and he has stuff at #7 and #8 too. All the other stuff is Nakamura and Okada merch with one Makabe thing.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 8, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it's crazy how over naito got los ingobernables just by taking a bunch of pictures with a hat

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

it's crazy how over naito got los ingobernables just by taking a bunch of pictures with a hat

Japanese society gets riled up a lot easier than western society when it comes to acts of rebellion. I've read about their school system and some kid there basically made himself untouchable popularity wise by dying his hair a slightly brighter shade of brown and incurring the wrath of school administrators.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
That's wrong though lol? Lots of schoolkids in Japan dye their hair blond, brown, or red (or even more outlandish colors in some cases) as young as 12, it's what the cool kids do. Authority figures tend to view such kids as troublemakers, though. That must've been in some crazy rural area.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Naito is starting to get cheered a lot

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DynamiteKidd posted:

That's wrong though lol? Lots of schoolkids in Japan dye their hair blond or brown as young as 12, it's what the cool kids do. That must've been in some crazy rural area.

Or it happened years and years ago. Besides, IIRC, it was a private school, so take the typical strictness of a common Japanese school and multiply it by a whole lot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thauros posted:

Okada vs. Tanahashi - *****.

ONLY 5 stars? That match was the 6 Star classic we were promised for Wrestle Kingdom 9!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I don't know how this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmJ21TIyNYk&t=5s

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Spermgod posted:

They already have the talent to slot into open positions on their own roster and I don't see any of the Suzukigun guys being more valuable in those roles with the possible exception of Suzuki himself.

I would love to see revitalized 2015 Taichi as a high profile challenger for KUSHIDA

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
If Nakamura fares well in WWE I think there's a decent chance Okada ends up going over there too.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If Nakamura fares well in WWE I think the odds are Okada going is reduced until his run is over. I can't see them having two high profile Japanese workers.

If Itami was working out more the way they would like I don't think they would have made a move for Nakamura.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

DynamiteKidd posted:

That's wrong though lol? Lots of schoolkids in Japan dye their hair blond, brown, or red (or even more outlandish colors in some cases) as young as 12, it's what the cool kids do. Authority figures tend to view such kids as troublemakers, though. That must've been in some crazy rural area.

They used to color it on Friday and color it back on Sunday which is terrible for your hair but such is the delicate balance between trendy and bringing dishonor to your family

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yoshitatsu was actually quite a bit more insightful on English commentary for New Year Dash than he was for Wrestle Kingdom. He brought up a few good points, like how the tag match hinged on Yoshi-Hashi because everyone else was tired and beaten up from the night before and Bullet Club were isolating him so he couldn't be a fresh guy. He also talked about Naito's new attitude all about him being a crybaby who's jealous of the guys on top. There were a few times Striker and Kelly had to extrapolate, but he did a far better job than at WK.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

THats how i jack off

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Masturbation jokes are a-ok but the first thing I always think about when I see one of these is that someday one is going to permanently murder someone's face.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Rocky is staying
https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/685589740637261825

New Japan offer a gaijin a two year deal is notable.

rovert fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 8, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good for Rocky, I dig what he does in NJPW and I think he'd quickly get lost in the shuffle in WWE.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thank god we aren't losing the Roppongi Vice theme. Hopefully New Japan stays viable as competition to WWE and teasing a jump (in either direction) will become a legitimate contract strategy going forward.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Thank god we aren't losing the Roppongi Vice theme. Hopefully New Japan stays viable as competition to WWE and teasing a jump (in either direction) will become a legitimate contract strategy going forward.

Remember too last year a bunch of ROH talent were all rumoured to be going to WWE but it never happened including the likes of Moose, Briscoes, Bucks, Adam Cole and none actually went in the end. WWE isn't WCW or Ted Turner's check book it has a finite talent budget.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

100% agreed. I don't know how big this is from a business perspective, but Rocky's one of my favorites and was a pleasure to meet in person so I'm happy. Good to see that they're becoming a bit more flexible on the contracts.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

When rocky is fired up and charging people in the corner he is my favourite wrestler.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Jerusalem posted:

Good for Rocky, I dig what he does in NJPW and I think he'd quickly get lost in the shuffle in WWE.

I love watching Rocky, he knows how to work a Japanese crowd so well. I'd love one of his Roppongi Vice lucha masks as well. Also he writes and sings (love) songs about Nakamura.
http://rockyromero.bandcamp.com/track/k-o-s-s

RaceyBucket posted:

When rocky is fired up and charging people in the corner he is my favourite wrestler.

FOREVEEEEEEEEER!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Germ Incubator posted:

I love watching Rocky, he knows how to work a Japanese crowd so well.

The only negative to Wrestle Kingdom 10 was that Rocky didn't do his spot where he gets thrown into the ropes and props himself up between the top and middle rope and screeches something in Japanese :allears:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh, and NOAH has a Korakuen show tomorrow that's being aired live on Samurai so it shouldn't take long to drop

NOAH "NEW YEAR NAVIGATION 2016", 09.01.2016 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Akitoshi Saito & Genba Hirayanagi vs. Quiet Storm & Kaito Kiyomiya
2. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title Skirmish: Taiji Ishimori, Yoshinari Ogawa & Hitoshi Kumano vs. Kenou, Hajime Ohara & Mitsuhiro Kitamiya
3. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title Skirmish: Daisuke Harada vs. TAKA Michinoku KAIENTAI DOJO
4. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title Skirmish: Atsushi Kotoge vs. Taichi NJPW
5. GHC Tag Team Title Skirmish: Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Takashi Iizuka NJPW vs. Yoshihiro Takayama, Mohammed Yone & Katsuhiko Nakajima
6. Special Tag Match: Go Shiozaki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Shelton Benjamin & El Desperado NJPW
7. GHC Heavyweight Title Skirmish: Naomichi Marufuji & Maybach Taniguchi vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Sugiura
(courtesy of https://www.purolove.com)

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Jerusalem posted:

The only negative to Wrestle Kingdom 10 was that Rocky didn't do his spot where he gets thrown into the ropes and props himself up between the top and middle rope and screeches something in Japanese :allears:

Yeah what is it he shouts? I can only make out the bakayarou/konoyarou part. (I'm even brain farting on that rn.)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Thauros posted:

Oh, and NOAH has a Korakuen show tomorrow that's being aired live on Samurai so it shouldn't take long to drop

NOAH "NEW YEAR NAVIGATION 2016", 09.01.2016 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Akitoshi Saito & Genba Hirayanagi vs. Quiet Storm & Kaito Kiyomiya
2. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title Skirmish: Taiji Ishimori, Yoshinari Ogawa & Hitoshi Kumano vs. Kenou, Hajime Ohara & Mitsuhiro Kitamiya
3. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title Skirmish: Daisuke Harada vs. TAKA Michinoku KAIENTAI DOJO
4. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title Skirmish: Atsushi Kotoge vs. Taichi NJPW
5. GHC Tag Team Title Skirmish: Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Takashi Iizuka NJPW vs. Yoshihiro Takayama, Mohammed Yone & Katsuhiko Nakajima
6. Special Tag Match: Go Shiozaki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Shelton Benjamin & El Desperado NJPW
7. GHC Heavyweight Title Skirmish: Naomichi Marufuji & Maybach Taniguchi vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Sugiura
(courtesy of https://www.purolove.com)

So what is the main way for American's to watch NOAH. If its :files: essentially never mind. Also, is it worth getting into NOAH right now?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Only way to watch NOAH is wait for realhero to put it up.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
I don't keep up with NOAH as much as I'd like, but I loved Suzuki/Sugiura recently so I'll try and check this out. I need more Suzuki in my life on the whole...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, Bullet Club is dead. Long Live The Bullet Club.

Now where can i get my Los Ingobernables shirt!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I haven't ever seen a NOAH show other than a few select KENTA matches here and there. What's like the best NOAH show for me to track down, top to bottom?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you want classic Noah, I cant help but recommend Destiny 2005. It has the Kobashi vs Sasaki chop fest and a pretty good greatest hits version of a Misawa v Kawada match. It also has some pretty great matches in the under-card with Kenta vs Kanemaru and Minoru Suzuki teaming up with Marafuji to wrestle Jun Akiyama & Makoto Hashi. A young Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Takeshi Rikio too.

From looking it up, Destiny 2005 is or at one point was, the show to get the most Meltzer stars of any wrestling card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0jyhPBhVbk

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 9, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

I haven't ever seen a NOAH show other than a few select KENTA matches here and there. What's like the best NOAH show for me to track down, top to bottom?

a very good starting point would be Destiny 2015 which just happened, was good top to bottom, and can easily be found on Dailymotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Germ Incubator posted:

Yeah what is it he shouts? I can only make out the bakayarou/konoyarou part. (I'm even brain farting on that rn.)

E. Key Oide noted it on twitter during his live translation of WK10 -- he said something like 'Nakasu zo kono yarou' I think. It means something like "I'll make you cry, fool!"

• Locked thread