Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shwqa posted:

Mother 1 is a terrible game to play. And I have an earthbound avatar.

It's not too bad if you use a guide that tells you when to grind. As long as you grew up playing JRPGS. If you started gaming in the N64 era, it's probably unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I played the first 10 or so hours of Mother 1 and Earthbound bouncing back between the two, and just kinda dropped Mother 1 once it became really apparent that Earthbound was more or less a remake.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I played the first 10 or so hours of Mother 1 and Earthbound bouncing back between the two, and just kinda dropped Mother 1 once it became really apparent that Earthbound was more or less a remake.

It basically is. Just read the lp of mother 1 and play earthbound.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I started playing Super Mario RPG last night, suck it America

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

When I was a kid I bought Super Mario RPG used, and all the save slots were named Gerald and were outside of Mario's house at the beginning of the game. I want all you people who have never played SMRPG to get it and enjoy it the way Gerald never could.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shwqa posted:

Mother 1 is a terrible game to play. And I have an earthbound avatar.

Yeah it's pretty skippable. For what it's worth, all of Mother 3's callbacks pretty much are for Mother 2. Mother 1 feels like a weird prototype for its sequel, and it plays like an excruciatingly difficult version of an old-timey Dragon Quest. The only spoiler that matters going forward is the hosed-up way that Giygas came to earth.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I started playing Super Mario RPG last night, suck it America

check the loser who doesn't have a snes hooked up at this very moment

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Looper posted:

please don't retro console shame

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

The only old console I have set up is a PS2. Sigh

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I thought Wii U was a retro console, it's as powerful as the PS3. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 7):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Temple of Yog - €6.99 / £?.??
    PictoParty - €7.99 / £?.??
WII DOWNLOADS FOR WII U
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Drill Dozer (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Tengami (Wii U) - €3.99 / £3.49 until January 10

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Legend of Legacy (demo)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    RV-7 My Drone - €1.99 / £?.??
3DS MENU THEMES
    Animal Crossing Amiibo Party Theme - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 9
    Fairune (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until January 14
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eSjop) - €3.99 / £3.29 until January 14
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until January 15
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until January 21

NA update (week of January 7):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Bigley's Revenge - $4.99
    Avoider - $1.49
    SDK Spriter - $?.??
    Tabletop Gallery - $2.99
    Discovery - $6.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Hogan's Alley (NES) - $4.99
    Wild Gunman (NES) - $4.99
    Adventures of Bayou Billy (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Tengami (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until January 10
    Runbow (Wii U eShop) - $11.25 until January 14

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    My Pets - $24.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Ocean Runner - $2.99
3DS MENU THEMES
    Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX "Paper Craft" - $1.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until January 9
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - $9.99 until January 11
    Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers (3DS) - $9.99 until January 11
    Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3DS) - $19.99 until January 11
    Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS) - $19.99 until January 11
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - $$7.49 until January 21

Bigley's Revenge is another memefest by the Meme Run guy, so look forward to seeing that poo poo on your home menu until the end of time.

Drill Dozer's pretty good, NSMBU is redunant (and requires a wiimote), all those NES lightgun games are varying levels of trash but Bayou Billy is the worst. gently caress Bayou Billy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Ikari Warriors had a brief "cheat code" that let you continue - I still remember it, in fact - and I abused that to get to level three of the game. There were four levels and each one is several hours long, mostly because you will die a lot. Eventually on level three, I died and respawned behind a U-shaped pipe and couldn't get out. Every time I would die, usually from time running out, I would respawn in the same spot. Eventually I had to give up, and I never played it again. Bayou Billy... I know that I eventually beat the first stage where you kick crocodlies in the beak, but the next stage was, I think, adriving stage and I don't think that I ever beat it.

Patter Song posted:

If we're dumping the NES library on here, I'd appreciate it if Square Enix got off its rear end...not for the old Final Fantasies, but for the old Dragon Warrior Quests. I'd love to play Dragon Warrior III and now that the Android version has apparently been taken down before I could buy it and they never put the GBC version on the 3DS VC, I'm kind of low on legitimate ways to acquire that game.

I still had my old trapezoidal GBA, but I eventually plumped for a GBA SP (the model with the really great backlighting and a charger) mostly so that I could play Dragon Quest I-III and Final Fantasy Legend without having to sit directly under the sun. DQ games on the GBC are bum-ugly and have a really limited field of view, but they are well-balanced, play like a dream, have fun animations and, mostly in the case of III, have the most content of any iteration of the game.

I had never really heard until yesterday about the Ambassador programme with the 3DS. I don't mind that I missed that, but whatever jackass is responsible from keeping Metroid: Fusion and Minish Cap off of the 3DS VC still deserves a royal beating. I actually have GBA carts of both of those games, I just want to play them on a system not made for the hands of an 8-year-old.

*I am aware that Fusion is on the Wii U, but I want something portable and I actually have a Game Boy Player.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

JustJeff88 posted:

I had never really heard until yesterday about the Ambassador programme with the 3DS. I don't mind that I missed that, but whatever jackass is responsible from keeping Metroid: Fusion and Minish Cap off of the 3DS VC still deserves a royal beating. I actually have GBA carts of both of those games, I just want to play them on a system not made for the hands of an 8-year-old.

That's on whoever designed the 3DS hardware. As is, the system is not nearly strong enough to do proper emulation of GBA games. The ambassador games work by loading the ROM files into legacy GBA hardware that's still present in the DS chips in the 3DS hardware so technically speaking, the games play fine, but you miss out on several VC amenities, like sleep mode or suspend saves and Nintendo is not willing to put out VC products that don't meet their standards.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ChaosArgate posted:

That's on whoever designed the 3DS hardware. As is, the system is not nearly strong enough to do proper emulation of GBA games. The ambassador games work by loading the ROM files into legacy GBA hardware that's still present in the DS chips in the 3DS hardware so technically speaking, the games play fine, but you miss out on several VC amenities, like sleep mode or suspend saves and Nintendo is not willing to put out VC products that don't meet their standards.

Wow, that is genuinely surprising. Thanks for letting me know.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder why that's the case but the 3DS can host ports/remakes of Wii games like Xenoblade and Donkey Kong. Even if somebody told me I wouldn't understand because I don't actually know enough about how that stuff works.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Is it still true of the New 3DS XL?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

In Training posted:

I wonder why that's the case but the 3DS can host ports/remakes of Wii games like Xenoblade and Donkey Kong. Even if somebody told me I wouldn't understand because I don't actually know enough about how that stuff works.

Nintendo hardware has never been the most logical thing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

Emulation is an entirely different beast than running a port. With emulation, your hardware has to be good enough to emulate another system's CPU, sound and graphics hardware and sync them all up at the same time. That's a really tall order for a machine like the 3DS. Xenoblade wasn't actually possible til the n3DS and for both the ports of Xenoblade and DKCR, I imagine the engines for those games could be scaled down juuuust enough to run on the 3DS.

thexerox123 posted:

Is it still true of the New 3DS XL?

It might, but Nintendo's probably in no rush to find out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

In Training posted:

Probably just because nobody has taken the time to code a true GBA emulator for 3DS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Supposedly the Nu3DS can achieve three to four times the clock speed of the older model, so the amount of emulation possible is (way) higher. Yes, it can run GBA theoretically (and possibly already does through homebrew). However, I don't think Nintendo wants to split VC between the "two" systems seeing as most ordinary people still consider it just one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't really understand why they don't sell their Games in NA on virtual console. I know Squenix wants people to buy their mobile versions of these games but surely Nintendo isn't taking as big a cut as Apple does.

If especially like some of the weird game boy ones that will never see mobile release.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

For scope, probably the most accurate SNES emulator in existence right now is bSNES, which requires a 3 GHz processor to run. The SNES CPU is clocked at 3.58 MHz. Good emulation requires really, really good hardware and the 3DS is not up to snuff. You might be able to get something going on n3DS and homebrewers can definitely get GBA emulation working, but it's not great. I have no idea about the current state of homebrew GBA emulation on 3DS, but SNES emulation is a big game of "which of these two emulators run this game I want to play best," which is generally not a good sign.

Just as another reference point, the PSP, AKA portable homebrew city, has tons of emulators but I can't say any of them are spectacular. They'll run, but not well. I tried playing NES Punch Out on a PSP and it crashed mid fight against King Hippo, and that was just NES.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

For scope, probably the most accurate SNES emulator in existence right now is bSNES, which requires a 3 GHz processor to run. The SNES CPU is clocked at 3.58 MHz. Good emulation requires really, really good hardware and the 3DS is not up to snuff. You might be able to get something going on n3DS and homebrewers can definitely get GBA emulation working, but it's not great. I have no idea about the current state of homebrew GBA emulation on 3DS, but SNES emulation is a big game of "which of these two emulators run this game I want to play best," which is generally not a good sign.

Just as another reference point, the PSP, AKA portable homebrew city, has tons of emulators but I can't say any of them are spectacular. They'll run, but not well. I tried playing NES Punch Out on a PSP and it crashed mid fight against King Hippo, and that was just NES.

The GBA emulation on 3DS is actually really good (basically perfect for normal use in the vast majority of games) if you have a new 3DS with low enough firmware so that homebrew can get access to the full power of the n3DS.

With newer firmwares it's pretty hit or miss though but it will probably get a lot better over time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

GBA games might be firmly in the maybe list with N3DS, but SNES games straight up wouldn't happen anyway due to the screen resolution being taller than the 3DS display.

ChaosArgate posted:

Emulation is an entirely different beast than running a port. With emulation, your hardware has to be good enough to emulate another system's CPU, sound and graphics hardware and sync them all up at the same time. That's a really tall order for a machine like the 3DS. Xenoblade wasn't actually possible til the n3DS and for both the ports of Xenoblade and DKCR, I imagine the engines for those games could be scaled down juuuust enough to run on the 3DS.

It might, but Nintendo's probably in no rush to find out.

Xenoblade and DKCR aren't cases of emulation either, they're ports. The studios got the games running on 3DS hardware properly, rather than convincing the games they're working a real Wii, no, really, they're working on real softhardware and please don't crash out of spite :ohdear:.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GBA games might be firmly in the maybe list with N3DS, but SNES games straight up wouldn't happen anyway due to the screen resolution being taller than the 3DS display.

SNES games are generally 256x224, they can fit on a 3DS screen, which is 240 pixels tall. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

SNES games are generally 256x224, they can fit on a 3DS screen, which is 240 pixels tall. :v:

A couple of them ran at 512x448.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Technically, yes, some did run at double resolution, but they are few and far between, and often just used for menus and Kanji rendering. Definitely not something that would affect the vast majority of games.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Psp emulation is good actually

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

voltcatfish posted:

I have a PSP 2000 and tried emulation just to see; I was quite impressed. I've also had positive experiences with Dolphin (GC & Wii) as I wanted to play NSMB and Punch-Out! with a less stupid controller, despite owning the games already.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Reminder for any US people who are getting the Shovel Knight amiibo today - you have to update to the latest version of the game before it'll work.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

voltcatfish posted:

it's like... acceptable, sure.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Reminder for any US people who are getting the Shovel Knight amiibo today - you have to update to the latest version of the game before it'll work.

Oh thanks, I forgot about that. I guess I should just buy one online now for store pickup tomorrow, because gently caress driving around town because all of the eBay superstars scooping them up for a pittance of profits.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm kind of curious what he decision process is behind Bayou Billy here. Like are they all snickering in emails at Nintendo hq, too?
"should we give them zero mission?"
"what's that?"
"the metroid one"
"i don't know what that is. give them bayou billy"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo-made games on europe Wii U VC that are still inexplicably not on NA VC

Super Mario RPG
Metroid Zero Mission (EU VC release date: March 2015!!!)
Animal Crossing Wild World
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (July 2015)
Brain Training (June 2015)
Kirby Mass Attack
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong (the actual DK94 sequel)
Waverace 64
Big Brain Academy (June 2015)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 9, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA views the VC as a promotional tool for new games, so you'll probably get Zero Mission around the release of the bad 3DS game, Mario RPG alongside Paper Jam, etc.

also you missed best GBA game Kuru Kuru Kururin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think that one was never released in america but i guess they could put it up in NA too, hertz be damned. same with Devil World

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dunno why they don't just spread the good releases out, instead of constantly giving us D-List GBA/SNES games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rirse posted:

Dunno why they don't just spread the good releases out, instead of constantly giving us D-List GBA/SNES games.
Is Shaq Fu on VC yet?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Handheld games have no concept of NTSC or PAL framerates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Handheld games have no concept of NTSC or PAL framerates.

Hour did the super gameboy handle it? Would PAL SNES games have a different framerate than the game boy?