Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

He isn't out as gay or anything, and from his twitter it looks like he made those cartoons to troll Bieber fans more than anything else

yeah thats fine i guess, i actually like his new song tho :p

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Most criticisms of him tend to boil down to either generic 'KIDS MUSIC SCARES AND CONFUSES ME' or generic "LOOKIT THIS SISSY DANCING AND SINGING LIKE A GIRL" both equally worthy of being mocked more than some retarded canadian who was the target of world wide scorn for wearing dumb clothes when meeting a prime minister once.

yeah my post was more me being mad at calling someone straight gay as an insult cause its kind of lovely to actually gay people

or at least to me it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I took it as more a 'a lot of the 'lol what a queer' jokes are homophobia anyway so it kinda doesn't matter if he actually sucks dick or not' way but I can see why that'd be annoying.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah i don't think anyone was being intentionally bad, heck i'm a big hypocrite cause i call my straight friends fags all the time

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Women should be forced to obey our draconian, misogynistic religious laws! Not their draconian, misogynistic religious laws!

The problem is that a lot of people self identify themselves as left wing. And they defend token left wing ideas. Why they do it? is not that they are left wing, they are more center or right wing, but they find left wing more fashionable. They like the idea of "stick it to the man" and defending poors.

Perhaps thats why they have to live in safe-spaces where their beliefs are not challenged. Is not that these ideas are wrong, is that they believe in these ideas like a religious person believe in god.

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 9, 2016

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I thought we weren't posting Gamergate cartoons anymore.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rebochan posted:

I thought mocking disingenuous cartoons was what we did, and that's fantastic fodder.

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah my post was more me being mad at calling someone straight gay as an insult cause its kind of lovely to actually gay people

or at least to me it is

Yeah it's really lovely to people to use membership in their group as an insult. It's not an insult unless being gay or part of whatever other group is so self-evidently intrinsically bad that it doesn't need any explanation.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 9, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I swear to God, Tei is literally a hamster posting on the internet.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Picnic Princess posted:

I swear to God, Tei is literally a hamster posting on the internet.

I think he's sweet. Like a fern that briefly gained sentience and terrible ideas.

e for content: also what is Tom Toles ever talking about. Like I think I know what he means and I probably agree but I don't like having to figure it out.

4. Oh you sly fox

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 9, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rebochan posted:

Arrgh. Sorry, I did not checked the source. Thats a ugly can of worms I don't want to open. I will delete it.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

The Mantis posted:

4. Oh you sly fox

"Bad thing?

"No, other bad thing."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Mantis posted:

what is Tom Toles ever talking about. Like I think I know what he means and I probably agree but I don't like having to figure it out.

Two things happened. Rednecks took over a wildlife refuge to protest th' gubmint; Republicans hate the Affordable Care Act.

Trump's an alien lifeform.

Republican sling so much mud around they end up having no idea who their opponents and rivals actually are.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hello here's a short HENRY update because his cartoons have all been terrible this week

Oops! I forgot to finish my joke!

Wow who could have guessed Henry would be on the side of the Oregon terrorists. Who I ask you. Who. :geno:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Grapplejack posted:

Oops! I forgot to finish my joke!

What's the difference between an rear end?
An rear end in a top hat? An rear end in a top hat is between an rear end. but it's not a difference. Assholes are like opinions, everyone's got them. There's no difference. Nope I can't fix this. He done hosed up.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
That's the crappiest looking hat I've seen.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Daniel Hillard posted:

What would you do about it with the gun?

Forcefully seize land and setup a no fly zone and win a ground war with america.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Lady Naga posted:

That's the crappiest looking hat I've seen.

Semi-decent gelatin, though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The GOP has been devoured by the Tea Party, an accurate cartoon.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTEhEPONgc

I guest the cartoon can be read something like.. "Nobody understand my obvious draw of a boa devouring the republicans". Or something.
We are going to need more labels here.

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 9, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rorus Raz posted:

Now in wretched color!

Ramirez is still a hack but I actually like the colouring in this one, the bear colouring is good and the wood looks nice. Sign, glass, and china colouring is pretty underwhelming though.

e:

Grapplejack posted:

Hello here's a short HENRY update because his cartoons have all been terrible this week

What the hell is manspreading?

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 9, 2016

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Krinkle posted:

What's the difference between an rear end?
An rear end in a top hat? An rear end in a top hat is between an rear end. but it's not a difference. Assholes are like opinions, everyone's got them. There's no difference. Nope I can't fix this. He done hosed up.

Reminds me of the Al Franken story where Bill O'Reilly said if the two of them were in the old west, they'd have a shootout in the streets, and Bill would win by shooting Franken "between the head."

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

A pointed criticism of how privilege is retained even within actions against systemic oppression.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What the hell is manspreading?

When someone sits on a subway with their legs spread such that they're taking up two or three seats instead of just one.

Incidentally, one of the responses from let's just say a certain reactionary group is to immediately accuse women of taking up all the available seats with their purses and shopping bags.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Manspreading is also not a new problem.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That dude is alllllllllllll pants

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

When was the last time we had an Everett True dump? It feels like it's been ages.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Oh yeah! What's that character's name again? I liked the series someone posted of him.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Wanamingo posted:

It helps that when A.D Condo wrote that for The Outbursts of Everett True in 1906 people didn't call it "Manspreading" they just called it being a jackass on the bus (Or whatever old-timey words for "jackass" that one would use in 1906). It's just that now everyone on the internet has their own personal hugbox so when someone complains that I'm needlessly taking up space in public transportation I can count on a legion of followers to tell me I'm just keepin' it real

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Abyssal Squid posted:

When was the last time we had an Everett True dump? It feels like it's been ages.

I think we had them all posted already, is why. It was in last year's thread, though.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DarklyDreaming posted:

It helps that when A.D Condo wrote that for The Outbursts of Everett True in 1906 people didn't call it "Manspreading" they just called it being a jackass on the bus (Or whatever old-timey words for "jackass" that one would use in 1906). It's just that now everyone on the internet has their own personal hugbox so when someone complains that I'm needlessly taking up space in public transportation I can count on a legion of followers to tell me I'm just keepin' it real

using new terminology = your own personal hugbox ??

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Wanamingo posted:

using new terminology = your own personal hugbox ??

I'm saying the new terminology is an effect of douchebags telling each other they are not douchebags

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'm saying the new terminology is an effect of douchebags telling each other they are not douchebags

"Manspreading" is usually used as a way of telling people (men) that they are being jackasses, though? Not every new term is used defensively.

It's kind of nice to have a specific term for that specific kind of douchebag behaviour.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Somfin posted:

"Manspreading" is usually used as a way of telling people (men) that they are being jackasses, though? Not every new term is used defensively.

It's kind of nice to have a specific term for that specific kind of douchebag behaviour.

I've heard it used both defensively by jerks and offensively by good people so if some meme-ologist tells me who used it first I'll listen to them.

Then again this would be the second time I've started a derail over modern terminology so let me get ahead of it and say this probably isn't worth anyone's time :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pretty sure it's analagous to mansplaining, which is entirely a criticism.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Particular terms for general inadequacy of social etiquette in society causes internet forum to break down into argument over semantics, news at 11.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

you can't own words, so is not like is important who invented it.

my opinion is that with hugbox, safe space, mansplaining, etc.. it comes from the PC/feminist subculture.

theres this theory that our brain can't think withouth words. things become A Thing when we have a word for them.

this theory was very popular when feminism started has a modern movement (if you ignore things like Lysistrata), so is like part of the cultural baggage of feminism

anywhere where feminism go, they try to change language has a way to change the world. the PC subculture have other reasons to create new words, but the same inspiration.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I just remember how pissy people got at the blog with photos of womanspreading, which, unlike the manspreading blog, went out of its way to obscure the identities of its subjects

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Tei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTEhEPONgc

I guest the cartoon can be read something like.. "Nobody understand my obvious draw of a boa devouring the republicans". Or something.
We are going to need more labels here.

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Terms/memes that mock the dominant/privileged group in society (e.g. men, white people) are bad and divisive. They're not nearly as bad as terms that mock marginalized groups, but they're still bad. Ooh you turned the tables on the privileged group, they are the ones being mocked for once, how neat. Truly societal harmony is now just around the corner, and not pushed farther away by divisive "no u" language.

• Locked thread